Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lex Neville
Apr 15, 2009
fwiw, from what I've seen, lit thread favourite Cărtărescu has pretty good odds too, better than Krasznahorkai

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

A heads up for those who might be interested, there is a readalong thread in the Haunted Clubhouse seasonal sub for Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October going one chapter per day, in celebration of the Spooky Month!

Asterite34 fucked around with this message at 21:13 on Oct 2, 2023

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Asterite34 posted:

A heads up for those who might be interested, there is a readalong thread in the Haunted Clubhouse seasonal sub for Roger Zelazny's A Night in the Lonesome October going one chapter per day, in celebration of the Spooky Month!

Shiiiiit! Another that I think is still on my list but I don't have a copy and am still in clean out mode of what I do have.

Edit: gently caress it, just ordered a cheap copy off of ebay that's in a lot with two other old 90s fantasy paperbacks, I'll finally find out what the fuss is.

Turbinosamente fucked around with this message at 05:10 on Oct 3, 2023

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

anilEhilated posted:

So who is y'all's tip for this year's Nobel prize? I've seen some betting odds that seemed to claim the surefire bet is Murakami, which is a choice I'm honestly not a fan of.

Murakami is going to win because all awards are determined primarily by how much I personally will be upset, and my god would Murakami winning an award for writing piss me off. Might as well give a iPhone voice memo of an angle grinder album of the year.

Asterite34
May 19, 2009

Turbinosamente posted:

Shiiiiit! Another that I think is still on my list but I don't have a copy and am still in clean out mode of what I do have.

Edit: gently caress it, just ordered a cheap copy off of ebay that's in a lot with two other old 90s fantasy paperbacks, I'll finally find out what the fuss is.

Still plenty of time to catch up with the thread when your copy gets delivered, the first half-dozen chapters are a breeze you can chew through in like half an hour tops

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

I'm going to steal the declaration of independence win the Nobel price for literature.

Also, I've been reading Auster's Leviathan and so far it's managed to bore the poo poo out of me. It starts out with a bang (heh) but then it's been fifty pages of snoozefest.

3D Megadoodoo fucked around with this message at 07:36 on Oct 3, 2023

rollick
Mar 20, 2009
I hope someone pranks John Banville again, if only by giving it to Edna O'Brien.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Give it to Zelensky for "War Speeches" lmao.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

rupi kaur, for the way she gave way for new forms of poetry, breathing fresh air into an old genre

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

ulvir posted:

rupi kaur

for the

way

she

gave

way for new forms of poetry

breathing fresh air

into an old
genre

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

nice concrete poetry formatting, it looks like one of those very old toilets with the cistern high up

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

The smart money is on Homero Aridjis because it’s been too long since we’ve had a Latin American writer, he’s an environmentalist, and has a cool name.

Also remember when Elfriede Jelinek got a serial killer released form prison on the strength of his writing and he proceeded to kill another six or so women?

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
To be fair she wasn't the only Nobelist involved, if I remember correctly Günter Grass also played a part?

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off

Asterite34 posted:

Still plenty of time to catch up with the thread when your copy gets delivered, the first half-dozen chapters are a breeze you can chew through in like half an hour tops

Not worried about catching up, more annoyed that I've added another book to the queue and already have had books leapfrog over other books I'd planned on reading. :v:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

ulvir posted:

nice concrete poetry formatting, it looks like one of those very old toilets with the cistern high up

Take the plunge! Okay!
Feb 24, 2007

anilEhilated posted:

To be fair she wasn't the only Nobelist involved, if I remember correctly Günter Grass also played a part?

That is correct. The entire case is :psyduck:

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Take the plunge! Okay! posted:

The smart money is on Homero Aridjis because it’s been too long since we’ve had a Latin American writer, he’s an environmentalist, and has a cool name.

Also remember when Elfriede Jelinek got a serial killer released form prison on the strength of his writing and he proceeded to kill another six or so women?

I Googled the case and drat if that German pervert serial murderer doesn't look exactly like what you'd expect a German pervert serial murderer to look like.

Tree Goat
May 24, 2009

argania spinosa
Next time you do a google search, try turning your monitor on

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
Since it's spooky month, I am thinking about delving into some William Hope Hodgson. I've heard that he's got some decent, how do I call it, nautical horror? Goons like books about ships... I have thalassophobia.

With all that in mind, what's a good starting point?

edit:

I teed you up for that one didn't I?

vvv :lol: vvv

escape artist fucked around with this message at 15:35 on Oct 3, 2023

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

escape artist posted:

Since it's spooky month, I am thinking about delving into some William Hope Hodgson. I've heard that he's got some decent, how do I call it, nautical horror? Goons like books about ships... I have thalassophobia.

The bottom.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i only read house on the borderland & night land. possibly night land 2? don't remember i think there was a sequel

Eh, kinda archaic, probably worth the time to read, kinda interesting mysterious vibe, but not super incredible mind boggling stuff. Idk 6 or maybe 7/10 if you wanna just sorta focus on the feel of situation. Worth it but not worth going completely out of your way to get to it for those ones i guess.

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

SniperWoreConverse posted:

i only read house on the borderland & night land. possibly night land 2? don't remember i think there was a sequel

Eh, kinda archaic, probably worth the time to read, kinda interesting mysterious vibe, but not super incredible mind boggling stuff. Idk 6 or maybe 7/10 if you wanna just sorta focus on the feel of situation. Worth it but not worth going completely out of your way to get to it for those ones i guess.

He's got a ton of stuff on Scribd, and I am on my fourth month of a one month free trial. It's a weird little business model they have. If you read too much, they lock up your TBR selections til the next payment cycle. So I keep trying to cancel and they keep kicking me another 30 days. Our current book of the month, Camp Damascus by Chuck Tingle, is on there too.

Thanks for the recommendations

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

Tree Goat posted:

Next time you do a google search, try turning your monitor on

this is literally the only time I've actually laughed at that joke, goddamn

MockingQuantum
Jan 20, 2012

escape artist posted:

edit:

I teed you up for that one didn't I?

vvv :lol: vvv

I haven't read it personally but the nautical Hodgson book is The Boats of the "Glen Carrig". House on the Borderland is good too, if mostly just weird and vibe-y. Haven't read Night Land personally, I tried a couple of times but found it really hard to get into (sort of intentionally on Hodgson's part iirc).

If you want sort-of-classic nautical "horror", The Narrative of Arthur Gordon Pym of Nantucket is good if you haven't read it. There's also a couple of novellas/novelettes in the collection The Weird that fit the bill but I'll have to pull up the ToC to remind myself what the heck they're called.

SniperWoreConverse
Mar 20, 2010

Gun Saliva
i went and looked him up on wiki to see if i had caught anything else he wrote, and somebody said something like he focused on "the ubiquity of potential terror, of the thinness of the invisible boundary between the world of normality and an underlying, unaccountable reality for which humans are not suited." I mean yeah that's prob right, i wouldn't phrase it that way but it's very much a feeling of something under the surface with those works.

Night land is a weird mix and has almost magitech, which is something that is also mentioned. It's a world with super weird stuff, iirc there's an axe that's basically a proto-lightsaber, and some monolithic easter island head kind of monuments that are infused with weird power. IIRC there's literally what you could consider a normal haunted house in the night lands -- there could be some gothic horror book only about that house, and it's just a fragment of setting, a scene, not even a major plot point -- but also weird dinosaurs and stuff. It'd def not scifi and not magic and not horror and not adventure, but a kind of chemical compound synthetic genre?

Honestly a lot of it i do forget, and i don't even remember if i read the whole night lands or just the short version (apparently there was not a sequel, he just wrote multiple versions). I would describe everything I've read of his as primarily vibes-based. It's not contradictory with itself or anything that blatantly breaks the story, and the plot is important, but it sorta seemed like the plot was an excuse to present a series of imaginary setpieces.

Now that i consider it i've subconsciously injected some of this sorta thing into my dumb rpg games writing.

lifg
Dec 4, 2000
<this tag left blank>
Muldoon

anilEhilated posted:

Also happened in America with Jack Henry Abbott, who was also supported by a group of well meaning literary types.

EricBauman
Nov 30, 2005

DOLF IS RECHTVAARDIG

3D Megadoodoo posted:

I Googled the case and drat if that German pervert serial murderer doesn't look exactly like what you'd expect a German pervert serial murderer to look like.

And drat, the "because he crimed again, the writers think he couldn't have possibly written that good book that got him released" thing is wild.

Just accept that killers can be good writers too! You were wrong! It doesn't have to be an elaborate conspiracy

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

EricBauman posted:

And drat, the "because he crimed again, the writers think he couldn't have possibly written that good book that got him released" thing is wild.

Just accept that killers can be good writers too! You were wrong! It doesn't have to be an elaborate conspiracy

It's the old "Hitler was kind to his dog so the holocaust didn't happen" and/or "my brother-in-law is a copper and even though he beats my sister and their kids, I've never actually seen it happen so blue lives matter" chestnut.

I.e. Grass and the other writers are/were just really loving stupid.

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

hell yes :norway:

sur le web
Oct 23, 2020

norwegian literature good

Dag Solstad winning it next year!

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming
I am having a hard time starting and finishing anything these days, not just books.

Gonna try to listen to The Most Dangerous Book: The Battle for James Joyce's Ulysses tonight, as I think it will be far more enjoyable than trying to read Ulysses (again)

re: Nobel Prize

I only started reading Cormac last year but I have read a lot of his books. What's the best entrypoint for Fosse?

I owe the book of the month club 1,000 words on Whitley Strieber's Communion. It's hard to even make it through the introduction.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

escape artist posted:

I owe the book of the month club 1,000 words on Whitley Strieber's Communion. It's hard to even make it through the introduction.

it does get really wild just jump on in

ulvir
Jan 2, 2005

escape artist posted:

re: Nobel Prize

I only started reading Cormac last year but I have read a lot of his books. What's the best entrypoint for Fosse?

I admittedly don’t have a good overview of what has or hasn’t been translated yet. you should definitely see a play of his if you get the chance, and this article gives a nice rundown of the choices in english. Morning and evening is also a great start.

Comfy Fleece Sweater
Apr 2, 2013

You see, but you do not observe.

anilEhilated posted:

So who is y'all's tip for this year's Nobel prize? I've seen some betting odds that seemed to claim the surefire bet is Murakami, which is a choice I'm honestly not a fan of.

Sheesh I read Norwegian Wood this year, what a depressing week

He’s a good writer for sure, just ahh make sure you’re in a good place, emotionally, when you start that one.

Oh I remember it also has an underage girl “seducing” an older person so.. bit of weirdness too, but probably normal for anime fans :dukedoge:

Edit: I forgot I came to mention that the Iliad translation by Emily Wilson is out, the audiobook preview sounds really great, reminds me a bit of the narration in Lord of the Rings :3:

Comfy Fleece Sweater fucked around with this message at 22:24 on Oct 6, 2023

escape artist
Sep 24, 2005

Slow train coming

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

He’s a good writer for sure, just ahh make sure you’re in a good place, emotionally, when you start that one.

Oh I remember it also has an underage girl “seducing” an older person so.. bit of weirdness too, but probably normal for anime fans :dukedoge:

Yikes. I was waiting for something like that to happen during The Wind-Up Bird Chronicle and it didn't. Disappointing, I would expect he would be wiser than to write something like that.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Comfy Fleece Sweater posted:

I'm on Earth in 2023.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Is that the modern translation by Robin Buss? That's the one you want and it matters

So I went ahead and bought myself a copy of this translation used and uhhhhh this is more used condition than I was expecting!

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

A beaten to poo poo book is a well loved book

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Every prior English translation is heavily bowdlerized.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

I'm gonna keep this copy and enjoy it for sure, I'm just annoyed - bought it used on ebay for 10$ and it was listed as "used - good" not "used - bad". Like c'mon. I've sent a message to the seller.

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Every prior English translation is heavily bowdlerized.

Part of why I wanted this one! Let's see the real book at last