Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
the only japanese media I get annoying abt is alt rock

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hxuebZ67Eyw

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Bleach peaked with Rukia

she just owns, ok? name an arc, if she's in it she owns

also I feel like I got lazy cause I never gave Stephen Universe a chance just because I was being bombarded with ads for it and told it to pound sand--clearly I could have found better reasons to never watch it, from the sound of things

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

Shinjobi posted:

also I feel like I got lazy cause I never gave Stephen Universe a chance just because I was being bombarded with ads for it and told it to pound sand--clearly I could have found better reasons to never watch it, from the sound of things

imo its a cute show and i liked it a ton but also i don't think it should be the Only Way Rep Is or anything like people on twitter or w/e say, its just a pog show

also the black eagles are pretty cool......

Booky
Feb 21, 2013

Chill Bug

im thinking about the main characters in zetman looking like they aged 10~ years in between ep 1 and 2 now.

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

They just skipped that many chapters of the manga

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Is master spark always love-colored, or is love-colored master spark referring to a specific master spark

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Marisa's master sparks are love colored but not all master sparks are.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
Glad for Marisa

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Stairmaster posted:

It was 2015 lol

lol oops I forgot how late Bleach ended. Still. WHatever.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I made fun of how insanely off model Steven Universe gets once and multiple people got insanely mad at me lol.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've never watched Steven Universe.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

it was kinda ok

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

steven universe is fine and its cool they did some gay stuff on kids tv but for some reason multiple grown adults were convinced it was the queer revolution

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
If you wanna watch a kids show about being gay that newer She Ra was an okay watch during quarantine.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Endorph posted:

steven universe is fine and its cool they did some gay stuff on kids tv but for some reason multiple grown adults were convinced it was the queer revolution

Adults latching onto a show for kids and shouting "no this is mine now go away", huh. Never seen that before, nossir.

I'm sure it probably is fine, havent seen it though. Adults are just the enemy of good things.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 13:37 on Oct 3, 2023

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the program steven universe is fine (i dropped it though) its just not the sole component of a healthy media diet. the fandom steven universe is aids

Megamissen
Jul 19, 2022

any post can be a kannapost
if you want it to be

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

If you wanna watch a kids show about being gay that newer She Ra was an okay watch during quarantine.

i remember the usual crowd getting extremely mad over some very good looking promotional art of the main character

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Yeah, people who probably never watched the original because it was a girls show got really salty about their nostalgia

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

are there any infinity train psychos? I think maybe I could manage that

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
curating an adventure time schizopost moodboard

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Today is the 10th anniversary of Kill la Kill which both feels too much and not enough

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
that program feels 20 years old to me

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

That was Trigger's first anime and it feels weird for them to be active for only 10 years

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ohtori Akio posted:

that program feels 20 years old to me

2013 was 35 years ago...let that sink in...

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

Studio Pull the Trigger on their lovely anime!!!

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Ibram Gaunt posted:

cereal_spit.jpg

Erg
Oct 31, 2010

homeless snail posted:

Yeah didn’t you hear that demon slayer movie broke records

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.

Endorph posted:

there's an old joke that "every generation thinks it's the first to discover sex" and every year I understand it more and more

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

Ibram Gaunt posted:

Yeah they have some real misses

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

Waffleman_ posted:

Today is the 10th anniversary of Kill la Kill which both feels too much and not enough

Kill la Kill it with fire.

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
according to this crunchyroll curated selection it is a great anime for beginners so hell its time to watch it

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

trigger's first anime was idolmaster 2011

Nate RFB
Jan 17, 2005

Clapping Larry
SU Future was so loving bad

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

homeless snail posted:

Like this?

https://twitter.com/LUMlTYKlSS/status/1384272210622251011

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

lol

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Yeah they have some real misses

Their real miss is not making more Inferno Cop

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://twitter.com/MangaMoguraRE/status/1709077707886121269?s=20

Waffleman_ fucked around with this message at 15:20 on Oct 3, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

lol

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Feels Villeneuve posted:

according to this crunchyroll curated selection it is a great anime for beginners so hell its time to watch it

They're right

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Been able to gradually make some more progress over the past few months on getting through all of 2022's anime movies. Not as quickly as I'd like but between a few vacations and some life-changing events, well, sometimes life comes at you fast. Anyways, just some quick takes:

Tsurune: The First Shot - Was surprised to find out that this is a compilation movie, given how it's edited in a way that made me assume it was a sequel. Even as a liker of sports anime this didn't do much for me. It made me think about how a lot of my enjoyment of Free was less because of how it handled the writing for the sport itself and more because of its colorful cast and high energy. This is to say that I found the archery competitions boring and the movie itself was cut together in such a way as to make most of the character motivations come off as too vague for me to connect with, and with how seriously it takes itself I found that to be an impediment. Alas.

Uta no Prince-Sama Maji Love Starish Tours - It's just a concert film and while sometimes those can break out in a way that even folks unfamiliar with the group can appreciate, this ain't one of those. It's idol boys singing idol songs without much visual flair. It's not a genre of music I like and I know nothing about this particular idol group. Were I not dedicated to watching every 2022 movie I'd have turned it off after realizing it was a concert film. This is only for the hardcore fans and as for me, when it comes to fandom I say fandon't.

Backflip!! The Movie - Not having seen the tv series the structure of the movie was what stuck out to me. That the big tournament is swiftly handled in the first act and then the rest of the movie is dealing with what comes next, particularly for the graduating seniors. Not a new topic for a sports anime to tackle but making it the crux of a movie is novel enough - particularly since unlike a lot of sports anime that asks these questions, there isn't exactly a wide range of opportunities for men's rhythmic gymnastics compared to something like baseball. It's interesting enough to convince me to check out the tv series proper someday. The cast all feel like they're working with familiar archetypes but not so much as to come off as rote. And heck, sometimes that's all a sports anime needs.

The G-Reco movies: I've accepted that these days I'm pretty much done with mecha as a genre. It happens, but hey when you know you're no longer getting anything out of a particular thing it's best to just fully step away lest you become the worst kind of curmudgeonly nerd. But I'll carve out an exception for auteur-driven works by directors I like, which is why the only recent mecha anime I care about are the final Eva Rebuild and of course, Tomino's re-edit of Gundam: Reconguista in G. I always knew its maniacal pacing would flow better in movie format though I wasn't prepared for the extent to which they'd change; even the first movie which has the least amount of changes still has plenty of dialogue changes as well as a huge amount of different edits, touched up animation, etc. It's very interesting to me that the movies remove some of the more Gundam-y parts of the show. I always figured that Tomino only used the Gundam name in order to get made, and there's one big change in particular in one of the later movies that excises a major Gundam element. Anyhow it's just as exhilarating as when I first watched it, and I will no doubt go through these movies again in the near future. There's just so much to digest in what feels like such little time in a way I find very rewarding.

The First Slam Dunk - Intense and thrilling. If the basketball match shown in The First Slam Dunk were to happen irl everyone would be losing their minds over it. That alone makes it good, but what elevates it to greatness is its narrative through line. I haven't seen much of Slam Dunk, but the way this movie shifts its focus to make one of the supporting characters the protagonist just works so well it makes you wonder why he's not the main character in the series proper. The best sports anime tend to be great at giving you a reason to want its protagonist to succeed beyond their virtue of being the protagonist, and there's enough verisimilitude behind Ryota's struggles to sell me on rooting for him here. Easily one of the best anime I've seen this year, and it's the most impressive directorial debut I've seen in awhile.