Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

EdBlackadder posted:

Secondary school in 90s England we all had to learn how to wire a plug (in both pre-EU and current colours/patterns) despite every appliance by then coming with a fitted and fused plug by default. Presumably just in case that turned out to be a fad.

I remember doing that but I don’t think it was for things that came without a plug. IIRC it was part of a more general electrical safety thing, along with teaching you not to use your toaster in the bath etc. I remember the plug thing as more something you could do if you damaged the flex and wanted to cut it down and rewire the plug. Something I’ve done a couple of times on power tools. Although most plugs now seem to be sealed rather than ones you can easily unscrew and take apart.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

well why not posted:

Ali takes about two weeks to Australia so I’d assume you’d be ok for USA Xmas as long as you aren’t ordering something insane.
Yeah, they're really pushing the guaranteed two-week delivery thing right now, and it usually works.

Right now, though, I'm fighting with a Combined Delivery package sitting in a nearby warehouse for the last two-plus weeks just waiting for the post office to pick it up. :mad: I get an email from Ali every other day or so telling me my package is at a local delivery site, which is kind of true. It's always the same local delivery site a three-hour drive away, mind you. Hey, at least I got a whopping $1 coupon for my trouble!

Nettle Soup
Jan 30, 2010

Oh, and Jones was there too.

I once made an extension lead once for the lawn mower, bought the flex and the plugs and wired it up, and it's still working a decade later.

RIP Wilkos.

I need to go on ali and buy another darning loom, I gave the last one away.

Tad Naff
Jul 8, 2004

I told you you'd be sorry buying an emoticon, but no, you were hung over. Well look at you now. It's not catching on at all!
:backtowork:
Just wondering if anyone has insight about this background, was some dystopian movie made, or what

Only registered members can see post attachments!

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Bush
Obama
Bannon

That trenchcoat is the time travel device.

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

It can’t make its mind up about how to spell Bannon either, curious.

PokeJoe
Aug 24, 2004

hail cgatan

Bannannas

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.
We also did the "how to wire a plug" thing, mid-late '90s Scotland. Weirdly, in my case it was part of Physics (can't remember if Standard Grade or Higher), so people who didn't do Physics presumably never go on to a life of having to wire a plug.

I did actually do it a few times after that, but that's mostly because of retro electronics and such, never for a new appliance.

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Perhaps I could interest you in some shirts.

or maybe... (:nws: for dick art, but it's worth it)

These and more can be yours, for less than $20 all in

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo
I'd never go anyplace fancy enough to justify it

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--
IT WASP ME ALL *BZZT* ALONG!

I'll vote for anyone who appears on the senate floor in the dick shirt.

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Those katchup dick pretzels look very gory.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

stephenthinkpad posted:

Those katchup dick pretzels look very gory.
That's not ketchup--I think it's pretzel shading.

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

For shame, how dare you call yourselves goons and not be able to identify cartoon bacon.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I-I'm trying not to look that closely. :ohdear:

Hirayuki fucked around with this message at 17:38 on Oct 2, 2023

DeadMansSuspenders
Jan 10, 2012

I wanna be your left hand man

Bacon wrapped weiners, anyone?

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I am sure there is a rule 34 of these.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

DeadMansSuspenders posted:

I had no idea Sir Francis was this explicit!

kemikalkadet
Sep 16, 2012

:woof:

Invalid Validation posted:

For shame, how dare you call yourselves goons and not be able to identify cartoon bacon.

Yeah they're clearly supposed to be pigs in blankets. or hogs in blankets in this case I guess.

EIDE Van Hagar
Dec 8, 2000

Beep Boop

stephenthinkpad posted:

I hate that Lego nowadays is making smaller and smaller pieces. Once you put two "half height" blocks together, you can't even take them away with fingernail. I have to use a thread cutter to take them apart. A loving thread cutter.

Look at this chump without a specific and varied collection of lego spudgers.

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?
FYI ordering Lego replacement pieces is <$1 per piece and a small $7 convenience fee

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Anyone who grouses about receiving a thing from the other side of the country for $8 total probably hasn't looked at shipping or labor costs in the past couple decades

vvv: and that's a good thing, setting free shipping as an expectation is monopolistic bullshit designed to kill small businesses

Sentient Data fucked around with this message at 04:23 on Oct 3, 2023

Reoxygenation
Dec 8, 2010

if wishes were fishes fuck you this is my pie
Free shipping is more surprising than shelling out that kind of money nowadays tbh

stephenthinkpad
Jan 2, 2020
Why do you spend $8 to order a special lego piece. Just use a similar piece from your other legos. And use your mind to imagine, lego is not meant to look 100% life-like!

Skarsnik
Oct 21, 2008

I...AM...RUUUDE!

I've replaced plenty of plugs in work due to the arcane knowledge learnt in school

The youngungs are always amazed it's a thing you can do

REMEMBER SPONGE MONKEYS
Oct 3, 2003

What do you think it means, bitch?

stephenthinkpad posted:

Why do you spend $8 to order a special lego piece. Just use a similar piece from your other legos. And use your mind to imagine, lego is not meant to look 100% life-like!

Apparently this is a 10-long piece with 9 holes (that will be needed) and filling in is unlikely to have it all line up and work as expected. Trust me I’ve been going through to see if anything else could just fill in. I’m still baffled a piece that big disappeared but I’ve spent a ton of time looking. Kids and dogs are magic(ians of destruction and loss).

$8 for one piece isn’t perhaps as big a deal if you’re paying Lego prices of 2-4x AE, the whole reason to do this is to be a bit thriftier. Didn’t see if they were going to get me on shipping too.

If you need me I’ll be on my fainting couch.

maybeadracula
Sep 9, 2022

by sebmojo

My brain read ahead and thought you were talking about Musk's kid

Squish
Nov 22, 2007

Unrelenting.
Lipstick Apathy

stephenthinkpad posted:

I have so many lego pieces on my floor I have learnt the way of ninja walking.

But UK plugs, I just don't get it. I'd rather get zapped once or twice than use those monstrosities. Just use plug covers if you have a toddler in your house.

Shh don't tell them that Aussie plugs have the best of both worlds (sheaths, long earth pin, simple design, can't be plugged the wrong way) and let them fight it out.

mystes
May 31, 2006

maybealabia posted:

My brain read ahead and thought you were talking about Musk's kid
Lol I had this same thought

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I swear I've seen grounded US outlets that are gated the same way as everyone's talking about, did I just dream this?

Also I'd love to sheath my own plugs, is this just a heatshrink thing? I seen precious little online about doing it.

Sentient Data
Aug 31, 2011

My molecule scrambler ray will disintegrate your armor with one blow!
Shuttered outlets exist, they're just not required and are slightly more expensive which means they won't ever be installed unless specifically sought out

Rexxed
May 1, 2010

Dis is amazing!
I gotta try dis!

Big Mac posted:

I swear I've seen grounded US outlets that are gated the same way as everyone's talking about, did I just dream this?

Also I'd love to sheath my own plugs, is this just a heatshrink thing? I seen precious little online about doing it.

Yeah, you can just buy them:
https://www.amazon.com/Leviton-T5320-WMP-Resistant-Receptacle-10-Pack/dp/B00L4KVTKK/

But, I mean, 10 for $12! What an expense!

VictualSquid
Feb 29, 2012

Gently enveloping the target with indiscriminate love.

Not only cheap, but wireless.

By popular demand
Jul 17, 2007

IT *BZZT* WASP ME--

And so tiny for an HD enclosure that's also a wireless server! :dumb:

Charles Ford
Nov 27, 2004

The Earth is a farm. We are someone else’s Ford Focus.

Big Mac posted:

As others pointed out, there's Tamper Resistant ones that have a shutter on the live/neutral, but they open just by being poked in the live/neutral. Better than nothing, but not as neat as being gated by the ground (since US power cables aren't required to have the ground pin).

I guess you could use heatshrink or some kind of lacquer, but the ones in the UK are custom made that way - the live/neutral prongs only have metal at the tip, then the metal gets narrower to travel through the plasic/ceramic/whatever sheath part back into the plug. If the sheath gets damaged the plug is destroyed as the pin won't keep its shape properly anymore, the sheath is structural.

Space Butler
Dec 3, 2010

Lipstick Apathy

Charles Ford posted:

We also did the "how to wire a plug" thing, mid-late '90s Scotland. Weirdly, in my case it was part of Physics (can't remember if Standard Grade or Higher), so people who didn't do Physics presumably never go on to a life of having to wire a plug.

I did actually do it a few times after that, but that's mostly because of retro electronics and such, never for a new appliance.

We did it in GCSE Physics around 2004 in England. It's proved more useful than most of that subject.

Hirayuki
Mar 28, 2010

I couldn't not post this here:

Amphigory
Feb 6, 2005

That's a cock and balls

flavor.flv
Apr 18, 2008

I got a letter from the government the other day
opened it, read it
it said they was bitches

It's a flexing bicep dummy!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You see whatever you want to see.