Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

Inclusion of elements borrowed from the books isn't an automatic emblem of quality.

Shageletic posted:

invent whole cloth elements, like Laila's introduction

So it's actually okay to diverge from the books. Except when they do. While also displaying that you don't know the source material. Because Laila is not invented whole cloth.

Fake Edit: Or I suppose you just don't know what "invented whole cloth" means. That's a possibility I suppose.

Also the fact that you ignore the primary elements of the post about Nyneave's bullshit in favor of focusing on something that is entirely ancillary is an interesting tidbit.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

DTurtle posted:

I edited my post above with some answers, but in short:
If the Dark One wins even once, then all of Creation/the Universe is destroyed for good. The Light has to win every time just for the Universe to continue existing.

isn't the paradox that if the dark one is freed in one reality he's freed in all realities, but also if he's imprisoned in one reality he's still imprisoned in every reality?

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

That's what Verin tells Egwene yes

Slanderer
May 6, 2007

silvergoose posted:

That's what Verin tells Egwene yes

Thanks, forgot who said it. Found the page:

https://www.google.com/books/edition/The_Dragon_Reborn/HZlVJVT91nAC?hl=en&gbpv=1&dq=verin%20paradox&pg=PA188&printsec=frontcover

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
The love triangle is a real thing the show tried to set up, just badly. There are scenes in the first episode that point toward it, particularly Nynaeve telling Perrin to go home to his wife during Egwene's celebration and then Layla acting cold toward him and Perrin being defensive. I saw more than one non-reader intuit there might be some kind of history between those 3.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CainFortea posted:

So it's actually okay to diverge from the books. Except when they do. While also displaying that you don't know the source material. Because Laila is not invented whole cloth.

Fake Edit: Or I suppose you just don't know what "invented whole cloth" means. That's a possibility I suppose.

Also the fact that you ignore the primary elements of the post about Nyneave's bullshit in favor of focusing on something that is entirely ancillary is an interesting tidbit.

Focusing on ancillary things seems to be your trademark. Im not trying to have a contest about who knows the books the most, or angry about the show inventing new plots or characters. It's about how well they're done.

Laila's introduction, and quickly conducted murder, in the beginning of the shows plot is a new invention by the show's creators. And its built on one of the hackiest tropes out there.

You brought up love triangles are in the books, and my answer was so what? Why does that matter, to anyone, when we're discussing the quality of this show?

And regarding Nynaeve's internal machinations obviating that she was not really in a love triangle, again, I feel this is ancillary. Rather than getting stuck in argument about whether or not it existed,the question should be, was Nynaeve's character arc satisfying to watch at all? And I'd say, personally, not at all.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

yeah the show was pretty clearly writing towards a love triangle with that stuff. what they intended with it and where they wanted it to go is pretty hard to discern, but they very obviously did it and left it in the edit.

also you don't really need to establish perrin's fears about doing violence to others in episode one if uhhhhh we don't actually need it in episode one. perrin gets plenty of exposure to different ideas about violence and force as part of his journey anyways, from the tinkers to the whitecloaks to the seanchan to aviendha. all that stuff can (and does) build perfectly organically towards his issues. also plenty of people wouldn't want to do violence to others after what happens to the two rivers generally. "we gotta give him a wife and immediately kill her to establish this character trait that will not be relevant in this season" is just sloppy, cheap, and insulting to the audience. like including a wife who exists only to be fridged in episode one and then never referencing her again is leaps and bounds more confusing to people than "this character who is big and strong doesn't like hurting people." it's genuinely stupid.

in general the show as a piece on its own (like, just a regular genre tv show trying to tell a story in 8 hours, leaving aside the issue of adaptation wholly) has really struggled with focusing on stuff that matters rather than stuff that doesn't, which is why it's now 15 hours in and can't figure out what to do with or how to characterize like half of its ostensible main cast. imo they should've just made a full adaptational decision to focus in on moiraine, nynaeve, and egwene. put rand/mat/perrin intentionally out of focus, make that a creative choice. the show is much more lively when dealing with the aes sedai and the tower and seems greatly confused and drags whenever it has to do anything else; it would've been way easier to just not worry about anything else and let it be a show about how this institution responds to the dragon reborn.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 20:49 on Oct 3, 2023

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Anyone have any takes about the sad warder??? Simply can’t get enough rehashing the same dumb poo poo that had me quit reading this thread 2 years ago.

El Grillo
Jan 3, 2008
Fun Shoe

Pleads posted:

Perrin and Aviendha accomplished very little but at least they introduced toh and hand talk, I guess. I did always think of hand talk as smaller gestures that could be done with one hand, but I guess that'd be harder to show in a tv series.

Lan's "showing Rand how to face the Amyrlin" was a sliver of what it should have been, and was overshadowed by them having a big shouting match about being the Dragon in front of a bunch of schlub White Tower guards. What a secret!
Man I was trying to figure out what was up with the maiden hand talk. For some reason it hadn't clicked... what they're showing isn't hand talk lol. That's why it looks so clunk and is so slow. What a weird choice.

And yeah that moment with Lan and Rand in front of the guards was hilarious.

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
Stepin? More like Step off this mortal coil because you’re so sad you little baby.

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014

buffalo all day posted:

Anyone have any takes about the sad warder??? Simply can’t get enough rehashing the same dumb poo poo that had me quit reading this thread 2 years ago.

Sure, season 2's sad warder plotline was also bad and had an underwhelming payoff this past episode.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Shageletic posted:

We're at the end of two seasons here, and I still can't think of a standout scene or moment.

E: oh just thought of one. I liked what they did with Nynaeve's Accepted test.
Everything with Egwene in episode 6. Egwene‘s only line in episode 7 being: Renna, I will kill you. Ryma‘s sacrifice in episode 6. You mentioned Nynaeve‘s Accepted test. Moiraine stabbing Lanfear. Lanfear casually blowing up the Foregate while going „3000 years later and we still gotta do this stuff“. Nynaeve healing everyone in season 1. Shaiel fighting in the cold open of season 1 episode 7. Mat and Rand reuniting in Cairhien. Aviendha‘s introduction. And so on.

Plenty of standout scenes and moments exist.

Pocky In My Pocket
Jan 27, 2005

Giant robots shouldn't fight!

El Grillo posted:

Man I was trying to figure out what was up with the maiden hand talk. For some reason it hadn't clicked... what they're showing isn't hand talk lol. That's why it looks so clunk and is so slow. What a weird choice.

And yeah that moment with Lan and Rand in front of the guards was hilarious.

They are done with one hand, the language consultants specifically wanted it to be one handed so it can be done with a weapon in the other hand

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

arteliad posted:

The love triangle is a real thing the show tried to set up, just badly. There are scenes in the first episode that point toward it, particularly Nynaeve telling Perrin to go home to his wife during Egwene's celebration and then Layla acting cold toward him and Perrin being defensive. I saw more than one non-reader intuit there might be some kind of history between those 3.

Yes, Nyneave has always been like this. If it's a whole thing the show is trying to set up...where is it? It came up at the end, then like one or two scenes later Egwene and Rand have a talk where they dismiss it as an issue, and then it never comes up again. At all.

Shageletic posted:

You brought up love triangles are in the books, and my answer was so what? Why does that matter, to anyone, when we're discussing the quality of this show?

I did not bring them up. As usual, your reading comprehension needs work.

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 7 hours!
This show is not good enough to need people to be so hostile defending it in the freaking chill rear end book barn of all places.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

socialsecurity posted:

This show is not good enough to need people to be so hostile defending it in the freaking chill rear end book barn of all places.

You are not the only calm person the internet. There is not only one drive to shitpost at people.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Shageletic posted:

We're at the end of two seasons here, and I still can't think of a standout scene or moment.

Literally any scene with Lanfear.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

CainFortea posted:

If it's a whole thing the show is trying to set up...where is it? It came up at the end, then like one or two scenes later Egwene and Rand have a talk where they dismiss it as an issue, and then it never comes up again. At all.

It's right there in what you just described lol. It's a subplot they set up multiple times in episode 1 and pay off in episode 6 or 7 or whichever. Why? Couldn't tell you. But the scenes and dialogue you identified in this post literally exist purely to convey this subplot, have a (bad, stilted) narrative arc, and they are in the edit. It is indeed a whole thing the show came up with and put in.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

socialsecurity posted:

The books aren't good enough to need people attacking the show, but I wouldn't expect people posting in an 11 year old thread to understand that.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Do people really think the show wasn't setting up for a love triangle deal? I don't expect Perrin and Egwene to actually get together but Machin Shin uses that as its angle on Perrin. It's clear enough that it would be funny if they just abandoned it and never brought it up again.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

thrawn527 posted:

Literally any scene with Lanfear.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

socialsecurity posted:

Pretty much this.

I was critiquing the faceless Amazon vp, not the writers. Writers/Rafe/acting-talent/crew all seem to be trying hard. Amazon prime video execs who seem to have pushed for weirdness are likely going to bin the show b/c Nielsen, never once wondering why the book readers are kinda meh.

Anias fucked around with this message at 21:36 on Oct 3, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Nihilarian posted:

Do people really think the show wasn't setting up for a love triangle deal? I don't expect Perrin and Egwene to actually get together but Machin Shin uses that as its angle on Perrin. It's clear enough that it would be funny if they just abandoned it and never brought it up again.

For there to be a love triangle it has to actually exist in the hearts and minds of people involved. So far the people who say there's a triangle are when Nyneave was being a martinet, Nyneave being lovely, and a metaphysical force of darkness that was wrong about a bunch of the other things it said.

Dingleberry2
Jul 23, 2001

All book readers know the real love triangle is between Perrin, Elayas and Hopper.

I figure it will come back in the show where Ishy will give Perrin a choice between getting his wife back and saving Egwene and that will lead to another season of Perrin pouting.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Anias posted:

Pretty much this.

I was critiquing the faceless Amazon vp, not the writers. Writers/Rafe/acting-talent/crew all seem to be trying hard. Amazon prime video execs who seem to have pushed for weirdness are likely going to bin the show b/c Nielsen, never once wondering why the book readers are kinda meh.
From what I’ve seen, basically all non-book readers and the vast majority of book readers like season 2 a lot.

vvvvv

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Yeah, the Nielsen ratings so far aren't all that bad *for amazon*, because Amazon is the smallest streaming service and all their shows underperform due to most people not having Prime. It's not doing as well as it did first season but viewership seems to be improving and it's comparable with other hit shows.
Not to mention that the writer‘s and actor‘s strike really, really hurts a series. Basically no one could do any marketing stuff. Series usually gave a comparatively tiny marketing budget. So they rely a lot on writers, directors, actors, etc going on various talk shows, late night shows, and other stuff like that. None of that happened, so there are a lot of people who don’t even know that season 2 is out.

Also Nielsen is US only, while Wheel of Time is very big internationally.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 21:55 on Oct 3, 2023

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Yeah, the Nielsen ratings so far aren't all that bad *for amazon*, because Amazon is the smallest streaming service and all their shows underperform due to most people not having Prime. It's not doing as well as it did first season but viewership seems to be improving and it's comparable with other hit shows.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

How does Nielsen even do streaming ratings? Did they move on past using a bunch of old people to extrapolate viewerships?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

El Grillo posted:

Found this cool video on hand talk, which I didn't realize was probably based off Native American Tribes

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s1-StAlw3aE

CainFortea posted:

Yes, Nyneave has always been like this. If it's a whole thing the show is trying to set up...where is it? It came up at the end, then like one or two scenes later Egwene and Rand have a talk where they dismiss it as an issue, and then it never comes up again. At all.

I did not bring them up. As usual, your reading comprehension needs work.

You literally brought up love triangles being in the books. "Books got more triangles than Pythagoras"? And my question remains, so what? You're addressing criticisms that no one is making.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

You literally brought up love triangles being in the books.

No, I literally did not.

Zore posted:

And then fumble it massively by immediately fridging her and giving Perrin the godawful love triangle poo poo with Egwene and Rand as his Season 1 plot

I don't know how to help you understand this more, but I am not Zore.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

My wife refuses to read the books and doesn't want me talking to her about them, but she is sucked into the show and keeps asking me questions that I dance around like an Aes Sedai to avoid spoiling some cool reveals. She knew in season 1 that Rand was the dragon and that I dislike book Egwene and Elayne, so she is confused about how much I seem to love the show versions. Seriously Elayne and Egwene's actors are knocking it out of the park. Also she knows that Nynaeve and Mat eventually rule and are my 2 favorite characters but she is confused because Mat has done gently caress all. She was asking me why I loudly gasped at a scene with Mat gambling and I'm like... idk no reason. I'm just really hyped to see any bit of reality about this franchise.

Just a little rambling but I am a book reader who also likes the show sorry

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DTurtle posted:

From what I’ve seen, basically all non-book readers and the vast majority of book readers like season 2 a lot.

Where are you seeing this? Seems the majority of ppl here have some serious criticisms with the show?

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Where are you seeing this? Seems the majority of ppl here have some serious criticisms with the show?

You can criticize a show and also enjoy it

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CainFortea posted:

No, I literally did not.

I don't know how to help you understand this more, but I am not Zore.

CainFortea posted:

And finally a hearty lol at people complaining about how dare there be a love triangle in the wheel of time. Books got more triangles than Pythagoras

I feel like we're talking past each other here. You brought up love triangles existing in the books. Tell me what I'm not seeing here.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Shageletic posted:

Youtube. The only really negative reactions I’ve run across are Whitecloak manosphere anti-woke dipshits. That was quite different during season 1 (especially episodes 7 and 8).

Submarine Sandpaper
May 27, 2007

The show isn't very good.

Woops time to get canceled.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

RC Cola posted:

You can criticize a show and also enjoy it

Good point. I felt like the suggestion was that included having any negative impressions.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Shageletic posted:

I see some "it is better than season 1" comments which is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

We're about to watch the season 2 finale. If the show hasn't found its stride by now, it won't.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
I like a lot of things about the current season. I think it's hard to argue it didn't find a strong voice several times this season, especially episode 6. I also felt Season 1 peaked with the 6th episode, though.

We'll see how the finale goes.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

CainFortea posted:

How does Nielsen even do streaming ratings? Did they move on past using a bunch of old people to extrapolate viewerships?

No one knows. Some people pretend to know, but they don't. Even the streaming people don't. I don't think the Nielsen people know.

Shageletic posted:

Wait, I skipped a bunch of pages, but did the thread turn against the show? I thought people were on board for season 2. Season 1 obviously had massive issues, but season 2 solved basically all of them, in my view. I'm all in.

Hughmoris posted:

I see some "it is better than season 1" comments which is not exactly a ringing endorsement.

We're about to watch the season 2 finale. If the show hasn't found its stride by now, it won't.

Okay, apparently I missed a lot.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Shageletic posted:

I feel like we're talking past each other here. You brought up love triangles existing in the books. Tell me what I'm not seeing here.

I would guess the part you're not seeing here is literally any of my posts except for the specific slices of it you want to argue with.

I'll try to break this down one more time.

I said the writers have shown they understand the books better than most people complaining about the show.

Zore brought up the love triangle in the show.

I pointed out that believing there is a love triangle in the show (and ignoring that it's in Nyneave's character to stir poo poo) is evidence of my point.

You ask me why i'm bringing up love triangles.