Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Gambit from the X-Men
May 12, 2001

a war boy standing alone in the desert blasting his mouth with cum from a dildo

Shard posted:

Was fight song by marilyn manson used as a video package in a wwf ppv because I would have swore it was but can't think of which one it might be

this is wrestling questions that DON'T deserve their own thread

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Taffy Torpedo
Feb 2, 2008

...Can we have the radio?
When did finishers become a thing? Did wrestlers in the 40s or whenever have established match-ending moves or did they just win with anything?

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

Taffy Torpedo posted:

When did finishers become a thing? Did wrestlers in the 40s or whenever have established match-ending moves or did they just win with anything?

there were no finishes that were clean enough to establish finishers until 1979. The three count being invented in 1975 to replace the double count out and double dq started that fad. Little know fact

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So how did people win matches before then? Was it all submission or was it the 1 count like in amateur wrestling?

That DICK!
Sep 28, 2010

the first finisher i can recall getting popularized was in 1919, and it was the one winged angel

Bonk
Aug 4, 2002

Douche Baggins

ChrisBTY posted:

So how did people win matches before then? Was it all submission or was it the 1 count like in amateur wrestling?

In classic catch wrestling, the object was literally just to throw your opponent down to the mat, and resist them trying to do the same to you.

I did a deep dive on this once, and found a bunch of advertisements for matches rather than full cards, because the matches were ungodly long with stipulations like "can X wrestler throw Y wrestler down 10 times in three hours!?"

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

to actually answer their question, ed lewis is commonly credited as the first wrestler to have a regular finisher with his version of a sleeper hold. but yeah through the most part up until the mid to late 70s and even commonly through the 80s matches typically ended on whatever was believable for the time tho some wrestlers did have their signatures that they relied on like bruno's bearhug or body slam

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

So Bruno would just body slam Gorilla Monsoon and call it a day?

Spuckuk
Aug 11, 2009

Being a bastard works

Sandman McMahon posted:

Whatever happened to Blue Kane? That guy was cool

I saw him wrestle just a few weeks ago in the UK for GCW!

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

ChrisBTY posted:

So Bruno would just body slam Gorilla Monsoon and call it a day?
That was the original concept behind "escape the cage" matches, that you'd have to beat your opponent so thoroughly you could saunter out of the cage unhindered. That sort of evolved into Last Man Standing/Texas Death matches. But also pinning your opponent's shoulders to the mat and having a referee count to three is both something borrowed from forms of legitimate wrestling and also something that has been going on in fixed professional matches for about one hundred years, and if you search for a random Bruno match in the 1960s (or random matches filmed for newsreels in the 1930s) they ended with pinfalls and three counts.

Perhaps SL was making a joke about how back in the day promotions (especially but not exclusively WWWF) would prolong feuds by having a lot of count-outs/time limit draws/DQs to allow for rematches? Or perhaps it's just

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

ChrisBTY posted:

There is a pool of match ending moves everyone can use. Big dropkick, suplex, certain submissions things like that. Certain wrestlers had signature moves like billy robinson had the butterfly suplex, Bruno the bear hug, but it was not something every wrestler had until you had lots of pin fall finishes.

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

who needs finishers when you can get a pin fall off this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=i7eLa7jtPeY&t=758s

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

they call it a high risk move for a reason

Suplex Liberace
Jan 18, 2012

if you are curious check out a few matchs from the 50s

https://www.youtube.com/@chicagofilmarchivespresent1774

I think they are much more watchable than most stuff from the 60s/70s.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!

Taffy Torpedo posted:

Wrestlers being associated with signature moves probably goes back thousands of years, but the idea of finishers being obligatory is more recent. From the late 19th century through the 30s, the first moves that come to mind are Ed Lewis' stranglehold, Gus Sonnenberg's shoulder tackle, Bill Longson's piledriver.

The style that the Gold Dust Trio promoted made recognizable big moves a lot more important, but most guys didn't have unique finishes that they were known for. From the 40s through the 70s there were guys who made it part of their gimmick, but most didn't. In the 70s it became more important to be known for some signature moves, and the 80s boom made it pretty much a necessary part of your gimmick if you weren't a jobber.

But even then, there wasn't this idea that you always have to win a match with your finisher. Now all WWE main event wrestlers need multiple finishers so that they can win any type of gimmick match against any wrestler with one of their finishers, or a roll-up.

ChrisBTY
Mar 29, 2012

this glorious monument

Edge & Christian posted:

That was the original concept behind "escape the cage" matches, that you'd have to beat your opponent so thoroughly you could saunter out of the cage unhindered. That sort of evolved into Last Man Standing/Texas Death matches. But also pinning your opponent's shoulders to the mat and having a referee count to three is both something borrowed from forms of legitimate wrestling and also something that has been going on in fixed professional matches for about one hundred years, and if you search for a random Bruno match in the 1960s (or random matches filmed for newsreels in the 1930s) they ended with pinfalls and three counts.

Perhaps SL was making a joke about how back in the day promotions (especially but not exclusively WWWF) would prolong feuds by having a lot of count-outs/time limit draws/DQs to allow for rematches? Or perhaps it's just

I didn't know. I didn't assume because he wasn't Cavuaro.

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

Somewhere in ancient text or hieroglyphics is someone doing a Burning Hammer and we just haven't found it yet

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010
I remember reading that Flair had heat with some of those who came before him because when he'd go over clean, his finishing sequence was suplex, kneedrop, figure four. Well, Harley Race used to used a basic suplex as a finish sometimes, and Brody used a running kneedrop, so I guess people thought he was the periods equivalent of a spot guy, which is insane with hindsight

Edge & Christian
May 20, 2001

Earth-1145 is truly the best!
A world of singing, magic frogs,
high adventure, no shitposters

El Gallinero Gros posted:

I remember reading that Flair had heat with some of those who came before him because when he'd go over clean, his finishing sequence was suplex, kneedrop, figure four. Well, Harley Race used to used a basic suplex as a finish sometimes, and Brody used a running kneedrop, so I guess people thought he was the periods equivalent of a spot guy, which is insane with hindsight
It's the eternal cycle. In some people's view, Harley Race was a spot monkey too!

Karl Gotch in 1990:

quote:

WON: One of the things Larry Malenko told me and I don't mean necessarily Billington or Satoru Sayama is that a lot of wrestlers nowadays look like a trampoline act.

KG: That's it. Nowhere could you ever see a guy crawl up on the turnbuckles. It's just like the Empire State building. Just stand there and wait for someone to push you off. Where is it ever logical to put a guy on the turnbuckle while you stand on the second rope?

WON: You mean for a suplex?

KG: Right. Then there was this other idiot that they made World Champion. This clown who was like a kamikaze.

WON: Harley Race?

KG: Yeah, Harley Race. He'd dive with the head-butt and he looked like a kamikaze coming in. That's the trip of no return that all these guys travel on the yellow brick road. It's not believable. How do you want people to believe this? I've got nothing against these guys but I'm just stating facts. There's hours of wrestling on TV now. That's how they are killing wrestling. The same thing happened to boxing. In the late 50's they had that Gillette show and it was boxing, boxing, boxing. Now it's the same in wrestling. Before, you used to have territories. They had 38 of them in the United States alone. I know. I got kicked out of all of them. But I'm just a hard headed kraut. You tell me no and I'm going to do it anyway. But with nationwide TV, they're going to kill all of it off. And they aren't going to be able to rebuild it. People are going to be sick of it. And these wrestlers. They have no ability anymore. They take these bumps that don't mean nothing. They look like that guy on TV, the Michelin Man. When you act like a clown, you look like a clown. Everyone has paint on their face. I thought it was only for the Mexicans. They were goofy enough. They looked like birds of Paradise and everyone was wearing a mask or some other goofy outfit. So where do you go from here? Where's the wrestling? If you go to the marquee and cut out the word “wrestling”.

Venomous
Nov 7, 2011

did Gotch ever directly work with UWFi and/or RINGS to train folks or is this just an old man yelling at a cloud

haunted bong
Jun 24, 2007

Harley Race, killing the business

forkboy84
Jun 13, 2012

Corgis love bread. And Puro

Venomous posted:

did Gotch ever directly work with UWFi and/or RINGS to train folks or is this just an old man yelling at a cloud

I know he worked with original UWF, don't think be was involved with UWFI though. But he did have guys involved in UWFI as well as Pancrase & Pro Wrestling Fujiwara Gumi and so while there's definitely an element of old man yells at clouds, he also would be showing support for his disciples.

But yeah, Harley Race as the Bucks of his day is such an all-time grumpy old fart line

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
I WILL CUT OFF BOTH OF MY ARMS BEFORE I VOTE FOR ANYONE THAT IS MORE POPULAR THAN BERNIE!!!!!
Harley Race's term for too many big spots all at once was "popcorn."

Gavok
Oct 10, 2005

Brock! Oh, man, I'm sorry about your...

...tooth?

haunted bong posted:

Harley Race, killing the business

Harley Race offered thousands of dollars for somebody else to kill the business.

...KABUKI!

Nehru the Damaja
May 20, 2005

I'll take any answers I can get here: who had the first fantastical gimmick? Who were the first wrestlers to wear masks or face paint? (let's not count racial cosplay since I can only assume there's some awful blackface or redface characters)

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Nehru the Damaja posted:

I'll take any answers I can get here: who had the first fantastical gimmick? Who were the first wrestlers to wear masks or face paint? (let's not count racial cosplay since I can only assume there's some awful blackface or redface characters)

First masked wrestler I've heard of is The Masked Marvel (Mort Henderson) who appeared out of nowhere at the International Tournament at the now Hammerstein Ballroom in 1915. The gimmick was suggested by a promoter who had toured with a masked opera singer.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
Mask gimmicks go back to the Parisian troupes of the mid-19th century, though they really exploded in the 20s and 30s after the Masked Marvel.

Kinda hard to draw a line on "fantastical" gimmicks. Mysterious foreigners with borderline-mystical powers go back a long way.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

Halloween Jack posted:

Mask gimmicks go back to the Parisian troupes of the mid-19th century, though they really exploded in the 20s and 30s after the Masked Marvel.

Kinda hard to draw a line on "fantastical" gimmicks. Mysterious foreigners with borderline-mystical powers go back a long way.

Oh wait how did I forget there were masked wrestlers in Paris in the 1840s peaking in the 1860s with The Masked Man who was internationally known. I've probably posted about him in this thread too.

Halloween Jack
Sep 12, 2003
The first wrestler with superhuman powers was Abraham Lincoln. He held the Union together with his mighty thews.

Visual Basic Bitch
Sep 4, 2019
how did masks become so central to lucha? I've always assumed it was because of el santo's influence or something but I don't know if it was already an established thing by the time he became the megastar that he was

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Was cm punk actually ever considered the best wrestler in the world?

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

Shard posted:

Was cm punk actually ever considered the best wrestler in the world?

no. his peak for match quality would have probably been between the end of 2003 and mid 2005, by which point kenta kobashi was blowing everyone out of the water with his GHC Heavyweight Title run as well as dragon gate finally popping off and having insane ciberneticos on the regular thanks to the Blood Generation and Do Fixer feud.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

It was always, to most, Bryan Danielson, but when he became "Best In The World" I would argue he was the hottest act in wrestling period, and he was always incredible at putting matches together and great on the mic. So y'know, subjective measures on what you'd consider that phrase to mean. The "pipebomb" promo and run into and out of MITB 2011 is still pretty incredible.

El Gallinero Gros
Mar 17, 2010

Visual Basic Bitch posted:

how did masks become so central to lucha? I've always assumed it was because of el santo's influence or something but I don't know if it was already an established thing by the time he became the megastar that he was

It's because of aztec tradition, apparently that's one of the few things not kayfabed by lucha presented in the US

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

i dunno how hot it was, it only did about 20k more buys than the prior ppv headlined by john cena vs r-truth. it did help punk sell a lot more merchandise but they completely fumbled/sabotaged any momentum he had built up during the build and ppv did afterwards.

MassRafTer
May 26, 2001

BAEST MODE!!!

STONE COLD 64 posted:

no. his peak for match quality would have probably been between the end of 2003 and mid 2005, by which point kenta kobashi was blowing everyone out of the water with his GHC Heavyweight Title run as well as dragon gate finally popping off and having insane ciberneticos on the regular thanks to the Blood Generation and Do Fixer feud.

I think his peak match quality was actually 2021 - 2022. His matches were not that good in 2003 and he was obviously good in 2005 but he spent half the year in OVW where like, he was good but not doing mind blowing stuff.

But the answer is no, Bryan Danielson was the best in the world and that's pretty much why Punk got that moniker in WWE.

edogawa rando
Mar 20, 2007

STONE COLD 64 posted:

Plus, like, when Punk's WWE title win and "I'm the best, so I am!" push happened, Tanahashi and Nakamura were in the process of rebuilding New Japan, and Okada would be in the mix a year or two later.

STING 64
Oct 20, 2006

MassRafTer posted:

I think his peak match quality was actually 2021 - 2022. His matches were not that good in 2003 and he was obviously good in 2005 but he spent half the year in OVW where like, he was good but not doing mind blowing stuff.

But the answer is no, Bryan Danielson was the best in the world and that's pretty much why Punk got that moniker in WWE.

i guess thats true, his aew stuff became a weird blind spot for me i think due to how recent the run was. the mjf dog collar match was great as were his matches with darby and eddie, i missed out on the 2022 moxley match though.

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Oh yeah no question they fumbled absolutely everything after he started actually using the Best In The World moniker but there was that brief shining flash where it almost felt plausible. And then Kevin Nash showed up.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shard
Jul 30, 2005

Here's another one - with hindsight what is the general consensus about Daniel Bryan and Edge retiring but then being able to wrestle later?Were the injuries overblown, did they just need enough time to heal, is it all smoke and mirrors or did medical procedures get better? Or a little bit of everything?