Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Surprise T Rex posted:

There’s also the Reachability shortcut, swipe down off the bottom of the phone to bring the UI down, then swipe control center as normal.

Yeah I basically had to teach my mom this when she upgraded to an iPhone 14. She wants smaller phones like the SE and I'm like "well if you want one with a half decent processor, upgrade to one of the ones with Face ID and learn to use Reachability"

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strong Sauce
Jul 2, 2003

You know I am not really your father.

i have icloud and the music app syncd up. however i noticed today that some of the music files and separate youtube audio i still had on my old phone were not synced to my new phone. is this expected?

Soul Glo
Aug 27, 2003

Just let it shine through

Question Mark Mound posted:

Held the Pro Max in the Apple Store the other day and have come to the conclusion that until there’s a gesture that makes the control centre reachable when using the phone in your left hand, I can straight up never buy the big phone.

I don’t get how they don’t just let you pick which corner you can swipe down from to get it, it’s not like it’ll conflict with anything else.

Though frankly, a swipe from the bottom would be MUCH more comfortable at any size.

Apple should absolutely just adopt Android gestures. Being able to short swipe from either side for a universal “go back one layer” is loving great for one handed use. It takes maybe a day to adjust when you’re trying to swipe through horizontal menus.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

My hot UI take is every tap and swipe should be located in the lower half of the screen. Then they can make the dumb phone as big as they want and everyone can still access the controls.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Otis Reddit posted:

This is great info, thank you. I hadn't considered the 13 mini. Is there any sort of matrix comparing these attributes across 13/14/15 and the various permutations?

Yep:

https://www.apple.com/iphone/compare/?modelList=iphone-13-mini,iphone-14-pro,iphone-15

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride

Strong Sauce posted:

i have icloud and the music app syncd up. however i noticed today that some of the music files and separate youtube audio i still had on my old phone were not synced to my new phone. is this expected?

My phone pulled my music across but I did a phone to phone transfer

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Soul Glo posted:

Apple should absolutely just adopt Android gestures. Being able to short swipe from either side for a universal “go back one layer” is loving great for one handed use. It takes maybe a day to adjust when you’re trying to swipe through horizontal menus.

My friend just switched to iPhone and the lack of a universal “go back one screen” gesture or button is the ONE thing that has him on the fence of staying with iPhone.

The gesture is just a small little swipe from the edge of the lower middle right of the screen about half an inch to the center. It’s right where your right thumb goes naturally. Apple should definitely implement this.

I’ve heard the complaint before but never really registered it as there’s almost always a button to go back, but he’s been showing me a bunch of instances on how the method to go back does in fact change often. Sometimes it’s a back arrow, sometimes it’s an X, sometimes the only way to go back is the app switcher or the tiny text in the top left. I’ve gotten used to all of this so it never registered to me as bad, but after the demonstration of the back gesture, I see it now.

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006
Doesn't all that 'why doesn't Apple do this obvious thing that Google does or vice versa' type stuff always boil down to a tangled mess of weaponised patents stopping either company from naturally adopting the most sensible ideas?

Hdip
Aug 21, 2002
Isn't "back" just swipe from the left edge to the center?

The Grumbles
Jun 5, 2006

Hdip posted:

On android I seem to remember you can do it from either the left or the right, which is really sensible

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Hdip posted:

Pretty sure I’ve been in OS-level menus where this swipe doesn’t work

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

The Grumbles posted:

On android I seem to remember you can do it from either the left or the right, which is really sensible

swiping from the right to go back was the worst part of android and the one thing i couldn't disable. Hated it.

SweetMercifulCrap!
Jan 28, 2012
Lipstick Apathy

Hdip posted:

Often, but not always. Sometimes it goes to the previous screen, sometimes it opens a new menu. Sometimes it does nothing. Also, if a link launches a new app, sometimes there's no quick gesture to go back to the previous app because the app switcher will show you as still being in the original app.

It's not enough to make me switch to Android, but I can see where the complaints come from. In similar vein, I recently got a Mac for the first time after being a lifelong Windows user, and the lack of a taskbar to very quickly switch between open apps AND see a clear visual of how many are open is still frustrating to me.

Duckman2008
Jan 6, 2010

TFW you see Flyers goaltending.
Grimey Drawer

MarcusSA posted:

This can suck my dick and gently caress off

Imagine working in a cell phone store where literally 25+ devices go off at once plus the phone of every employee and customer in the store.

On a real note, I will absolutely take those alerts for Tornado warnings alone, tornadoes are fast and not to be hosed with.

They gave us a heads up this morning on the test and I still jumped when my two phones started bleeping the alert.

Pants Donkey
Nov 13, 2011

Duckman2008 posted:

Imagine working in a cell phone store where literally 25+ devices go off at once plus the phone of every employee and customer in the store.
I can tell you that it’s basically background noise to a cell phone jockey. There’s someone setting off the alarms on the display phones at least once an hour.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m on 7.0.3 and my phone is still burning up reading a freaking digital newspaper.

Mister Facetious
Apr 21, 2007

I think I died and woke up in L.A.,
I don't know how I wound up in this place...

:canada:

Vegetable posted:

I’m on 7.0.3 and my phone is still burning up reading a freaking digital newspaper.

Are you trying to read outside in full sun

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
I’ve heard of being hot off the presses but this is ridiculous!

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

Mister Facetious posted:

Are you trying to read outside in full sun
I’m sitting at my dinner table eating pizza. So no.

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Vegetable posted:

I’m sitting at my dinner table eating pizza. So no.

Did you put the pizza or the phone in the oven?

Dogen
May 5, 2002

Bury my body down by the highwayside, so that my old evil spirit can get a Greyhound bus and ride
Is the phone on the pizza??

Also I was gonna make a joke about how 17.0.3 is a failure because my phone got hot installing the update and charging but here we are

rafikki
Mar 8, 2008

I see what you did there. (It's pretty easy, since ducks have a field of vision spanning 340 degrees.)

~SMcD

Duckman2008 posted:

I mean, I was in the office today and every phone on the floor went off.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

I’m pretty sure the alerts had a non-zero body count. I imagine old people dropping from shock in a nursing home and spouses slaying one another after discovering their secret phones.

TOOT BOOT
May 25, 2010

It's kinda bullshit it still went off even if you opted out of test alerts.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

glassyalabolas posted:

17.0.3 is out. Cool your iPhone with this easy download.

Between this and my new Peak Design phone case arriving (and visiting some friends and getting a huge backload of work finished) it has been a good day.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.
lol @ americans freaking out over a single mandatory test alert. try living in a country that is both earthquake-prone and at risk of military invasion, which means at least two test alerts per year (earthquake and air raid). i've known the settings to opt-out of all the emergency/governmental/test alerts are useless for years, suckers.

FCKGW
May 21, 2006

TOOT BOOT posted:

It's kinda bullshit it still went off even if you opted out of test alerts.

Pretty sure it's federally mandated that you cannot opt out.

Vegetable
Oct 22, 2010

POCKET CHOMP posted:

lol @ americans freaking out over a single mandatory test alert. try living in a country that is both earthquake-prone and at risk of military invasion, which means at least two test alerts per year (earthquake and air raid). i've known the settings to opt-out of all the emergency/governmental/test alerts are useless for years, suckers.
sorry that both nature and humanity want to end your nation

njsykora
Jan 23, 2012

Robots confuse squirrels.

Yeah the whole point of testing the emergency system is to make sure you know it goes to everyone and that everyone knows what an emergency alert sounds like. Letting people turn it off kinda defeats the point.

Dogen
May 5, 2002

POCKET CHOMP posted:

What country is that, maybe we are in the market for some military adventurism

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

Bottom Liner posted:

swiping from the right to go back was the worst part of android and the one thing i couldn't disable. Hated it.

You can also swipe from the left like an iPhone to go back on Android.

Edit: Or did you mean you were just constantly making back gestures on Android unintentionally. I guess if a certain way of doing things has become muscle memory in a UI it's kind of hard to change. I'm constantly inadvertently doing the right thumb swipe to go back on my iPhone and it's probably the main reason it's not my daily as a mostly Android user.

Mental Hospitality fucked around with this message at 03:03 on Oct 5, 2023

Boris Galerkin
Dec 17, 2011

I don't understand why I can't harass people online. Seriously, somebody please explain why I shouldn't be allowed to stalk others on social media!

njsykora posted:

Yeah the whole point of testing the emergency system is to make sure you know it goes to everyone and that everyone knows what an emergency alert sounds like. Letting people turn it off kinda defeats the point.

I mean I don’t know what it sounded like because the moment it happened everyone in my office just frantically swiped/tapped/did whatever they could to shut the phone the gently caress up so that we could all get back to work. It was more of a nuisance if anything.

Like on the grand scheme of things one test alert is no big deal I’m not big mad about it or anything. But it is bullshit that turning off govt alerts and whatever on my phone didn’t, you know, turn off govt alerts. If we’re getting nuked I literally don’t care cause we’re all hosed anyway I’ll just find out about it when I start seeing mushroom clouds. And if another 9/11 happened 8 states away from me why do I care to get an alert about it? What am I going to do with this information?

Boris Galerkin fucked around with this message at 03:06 on Oct 5, 2023

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM
As a recent convert from Android to iPhone, navigation gestures and notifications are two things I feel are unquestionably better on Android vs iPhone.

POCKET CHOMP
Jul 20, 2003

me irl.

Dogen posted:

What country is that, maybe we are in the market for some military adventurism

Taiwan, so believe me, I'm hoping America is more than willing to jump into the fight :patriot:

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

As a recent convert from Android to iPhone, navigation gestures and notifications are two things I feel are unquestionably better on Android vs iPhone.

I haven't had my iphone (a used 64GB 12 I picked up on the cheap) long enough to really make a determination on notifications. I do like the phone for other reasons though. Even with 88% battery health, it basically matches my Pixel 7 Pro in terms of battery life with half the capacity. The build and form factor are very nice. It's a 3 generation old phone now that gets updates day 1 and probably will for a long time. It will hold its value extremely well (apparently) as the Google store offered me more for it in trade-in than I paid for it, and also more than my 1 year old 256GB Pixel 7 Pro, as I was contemplating the new Pixel 8. Which I think is just funny.

chocolateTHUNDER
Jul 19, 2008

GIVE ME ALL YOUR FREE AGENTS

ALL OF THEM

Mental Hospitality posted:

I haven't had my iphone (a used 64GB 12 I picked up on the cheap) long enough to really make a determination on notifications. I do like the phone for other reasons though. Even with 88% battery health, it basically matches my Pixel 7 Pro in terms of battery life with half the capacity. The build and form factor are very nice. It's a 3 generation old phone now that gets updates day 1 and probably will for a long time. It will hold its value extremely well (apparently) as the Google store offered me more for it in trade-in than I paid for it, and also more than my 1 year old 256GB Pixel 7 Pro, as I was contemplating the new Pixel 8. Which I think is just funny.

If you had a pixel 7 pro you didn’t have to worry about not getting “day 1” updates.

Bottom Liner
Feb 15, 2006

a specific vein of lasagna

Mental Hospitality posted:

Edit: Or did you mean you were just constantly making back gestures on Android unintentionally.

Yeah that, it would even trigger when doing competing base UI gestures like moving the crop on a photo in the default app. Real dumb.

Mental Hospitality
Jan 5, 2011

chocolateTHUNDER posted:

If you had a pixel 7 pro you didn’t have to worry about not getting “day 1” updates.

Sorry, I meant for more than 3 years of major OS updates. I just got A14 today on mine. There's been a few times where the monthly patches/updates are delayed depending on carrier/phase of the moon/alignment of the stars.

Endless Mike
Aug 13, 2003

Vegetable posted:

Have you considered upgrading from your iPhone 5S?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlapYoJacks
Feb 12, 2009

Soul Glo posted:

Look at this guy who doesn’t wanna know about the next 9/11 so he can be in on the ground floor of posting loling about it smh

:hmmyes: