Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
They know what they have to do to win (grow hair), if they are not willing to do it, they deserve to lose. :colbert:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.
Just have a timeskip and all short hair girls will have long hair and vice versa. It is a law of nature.

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

sb hermit
Dec 13, 2016

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...
Some people are upset at the usage of "they" to describe a kitten.

mycot
Oct 23, 2014

"It's okay. There are other Terminators! Just give us this one!"
Hell Gem
"did the author use they" is so funny because singular gender neutral pronouns are even more normalized in Japanese.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

I like the mental image of someone seeing "they" in a comic and getting visibly upset and pacing around in impotent rage, before going to post about it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Wouldn't want the cat to be trans

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

mycot posted:

"did the author use they" is so funny because singular gender neutral pronouns are even more normalized in Japanese.
It's debatable whether Japanese has third-person pronouns at all. If it does they are used far, far less than often than they are in English (and yeah often wouldn't be gendered even if used).

Caphi
Jan 6, 2012

INCREDIBLE
It's not debatable at all. Japanese very much has gendered third person pronouns, and they are not uncommonly used, but they are slightly formal and not grammatically compulsory. You won't, for instance, see them in a lot in common anime/manga speech, and you sure wouldn't use them to refer to a pet.

Caphi fucked around with this message at 16:35 on Oct 3, 2023

SexyBlindfold
Apr 24, 2008
i dont care how much probation i get capital letters are for squares hehe im so laid back an nice please read my low effort shitposts about the arab spring

thanxs!!!
He? She? What's this woke Tumblr bullshit? There's one gender, and it's "ah... that person..."

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Caphi posted:

It's not debatable at all. Japanese very much has gendered third person pronouns, and they are not uncommonly used, but they are slightly formal and not grammatically compulsory.

Its the last part that really fucks with english speakers minds when it comes to anything having to do with Japanese pronouns, since we arent allowed to drop pronouns

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Meme Emulator posted:

Its the last part that really fucks with english speakers minds when it comes to anything having to do with Japanese pronouns, since we arent allowed to drop pronouns

As much as people wish

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT
Where gender does enter into Japanese pronouns is mainly in the choice of personal pronoun, making it a categorically woker language than English because everyone chooses their own pronoun

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Very funny that it was a constant source of debate among Japanese Undertale fans what Sans would use, and then when in the official JP loc, he used "oira," a pronoun mostly used by country hicks and cheesy comedians, they freaked out

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

Waffleman_ posted:

Very funny that it was a constant source of debate among Japanese Undertale fans what Sans would use, and then when in the official JP loc, he used "oira," a pronoun mostly used by country hicks and cheesy comedians, they freaked out

Oira is the most Sans Undertale possible pronoun, from the sound of it.

Nemo2342
Nov 26, 2007

Have A Day

Nap Ghost

Waffleman_ posted:

Wouldn't want the cat to be trans

I just assumed this was about the Iruma-kun character who has gone for 300+ chapters without being gendered until 4chan took over the translation.

Thuryl
Mar 14, 2007

My postillion has been struck by lightning.

Waffleman_ posted:

For reference, the best-known other character I can think of offhand who uses "oira" is Vyrn from Granblue Fantasy, the game's mascot character who is a tiny little dragon who comes from a tiny little village and makes up weird nicknames for everyone he meets.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Nemo2342 posted:

I just assumed this was about the Iruma-kun character who has gone for 300+ chapters without being gendered until 4chan took over the translation.

It seems like it's an actual cat in another manga and the second guy was mad the characters referred to the cat as "they" and not "it"

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Thuryl posted:

For reference, the best-known other character I can think of offhand who uses "oira" is Vyrn from Granblue Fantasy, the game's mascot character who is a tiny little dragon who comes from a tiny little village and makes up weird nicknames for everyone he meets.

he is a lizard

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Waffleman_ posted:

It totally should've been washi :argh:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Waffleman_ posted:

It seems like it's an actual cat in another manga and the second guy was mad the characters referred to the cat as "they" and not "it"

Everyone knows all cats should be "she" by default.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Thuryl posted:

Sounds like him and sans would be best friends.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

kirbysuperstar posted:

he is a lizard

gently caress yoiu

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

😌Finally, an avatar the describes my love of tech❤️‍💻, my love of anime💖🎎, and why I'll never see a real girl 🙆‍♀️naked😭.

kirbysuperstar posted:

he is a lizard

He's actually an aspect of Bahamut, the creator god of the Granblue universe who's had approximately 50 different high-level high-difficulty raids and literally 1 story about him, which you have to uncap a difficult-to-get summon with even more difficult-to-get materials in order to see.

Shugojin
Sep 6, 2007

THE TAIL THAT BURNS TWICE AS BRIGHT...

Clarste posted:

Everyone knows all cats should be "baby" by default.

Futaba Anzu
May 6, 2011

GROSS BOY

Neito posted:

He's actually an aspect of Bahamut, the creator god of the Granblue universe who's had approximately 50 different high-level high-difficulty raids and literally 1 story about him, which you have to uncap a difficult-to-get summon with even more difficult-to-get materials in order to see.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Neito posted:

He's actually a lizard

OgretailFood
Oct 9, 2012

Recommended by 10 out of 10 Aragami

SexyBlindfold posted:

He? She? What's this woke Tumblr bullshit? There's one gender, and it's "ah... that person..."

Same but using "güey"

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

more for the username than anything else. :v

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

kirbysuperstar posted:

he is a lizard

Katarina wants to know your location

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Thuryl posted:

Granted the even more rural "Ora"

Jackard
Oct 28, 2007

We Have A Bow And We Wish To Use It

Neito
Feb 18, 2009

He's actually actually your best buddy

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Neito posted:

He's actually actually your best buddy

This we can agree on

Mister Olympus
Oct 31, 2011

Buzzard, Who Steals From Dead Bodies

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Granted the even more rural "Ora"

Agumon is also an oira

Can Of Worms
Sep 4, 2011

That's not how the Triangle Attack works...

CommissarMega
Nov 18, 2008

THUNDERDOME LOSER

:hai:

Lt. Lizard posted:

They know what they have to do to win (grow hair), if they are not willing to do it, they deserve to lose. :colbert:

:commissar:

(The quotes are coming from inside the thread!)

kidcoelacanth
Sep 23, 2009

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

isnt that every hentai manga