Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
I actually prefer the dubbed versions of Godzilla movies as well. It just feels right.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

The greatest sensual pleasure there is is to know the desires of another!

Fun Shoe
My favorite part of Shin Godzilla is the gag where they're trying to order the missiles to be fired but there's like 8 layers of bureaucracy they have to go through to actually do it. It's like one government official telling another official to fire who tells another and on and on before the order finally gets through to the pilot.

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD
Sep 14, 2007

everything is yours

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

There's a segment in one of the new Wes Anderson shorts (The Rat Catcher) that teeters dangerously close to horror, and it only makes me more curious what a Wes Anderson horror movie would be like.

This is what they should be doing for fake grindhouse movies, not Thanksgiving. Wes Anderson's The Oblong Box. Why not?

MariusLecter
Sep 5, 2009

NI MUERTE NI MIEDO
The special effects of the classic movies can't be beat.

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

I wish I had watched the dub version of shin Godzilla instead, they talk like they're in a Sorkin show in that movie, felt like I was straining my eyes trying to read fast enough to keep up

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Xiahou Dun posted:

I really should not have started paying attention to the continuity of Friday the 13th.

Did you ever think about how they technically take place in an alternate future? There’s a five year time-skip between 1 and 2 ; 2, 3 and 4 are a span of consecutive days ; 5 is actually pretty wonky and theoretically could be anywhere after 4 ; 6 Tommy is a grown-rear end man so it’s been at least 8 years barest minimum. (Likely more) That’s 13* years in the story but the movies come out one per year. So while the movie came out in 1986, inside the movie it’s 1993.

Then 7 loving happens. Bam, opening of the movie we got a young Tina and a calendar on the wall that says October 13. Because of a quirk of the calendar, there are more Friday the 13ths than any other day of the week, but you still only get one in a given month once a decade or so. For reference there is/was/will be a Friday the 13th in October for 1978, 1989, 1995, 2000, 2006, 2017 and 2023.

Absolute earliest, the beginning of 7 takes place in 1995, a whole 6 years after the movie’s release**. And that’s completely ignoring how they built that house and moved in in just two years. But that’s before Tina grows up and we jump forward even further. So really in 7 it’s the mid-2000’s at the earliest, but likely much later.

*Haha
*I never said it was the far future.

Just watched Freddy’s Dead which is an indeterminate ten years after uh Freddy was victorious in killing all the spring wood kids and it’s a very 90s near future crime ridden hellscape. Which it doesn’t do much of anything with unless you count the Roseanne and Tom Arnold cameos.

Also the time line illustrated in the movie on a chalk board makes no goddamn sense. And the new lore they squeeze in is broken timeline wise too

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
New Exorcist film is getting absolutely savaged by reviews and sits at like 22% on RT. Does not look like the 400 million dollar investment was worth it.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pcSNqteCEtE

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
PLEASE, PLEASE have REM's nightswimming musical stings like malignant did for where is my mind

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

Yup, I'll be there for that. Malignant and M3GAN did enough for me to give the benefit of the doubt to any Wan/Blumhouse production.

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴
Just started Next Of Kin (1982, Australia) on Tubi and this movie already goes so loving hard on vibes like 2 minutes in, holy poo poo.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Its not directed by Wan so I am less enthused.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just started Next Of Kin (1982, Australia) on Tubi and this movie already goes so loving hard on vibes like 2 minutes in, holy poo poo.

excellent movie

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

That "POLO!" made me laugh a lot. I'll watch this.

Was that song in the beginning off-brand Aphex Twin?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=meW3Y_yLlWI

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

HUNDU THE BEAST GOD posted:

Wes Anderson's The Oblong Box

I am furious that this will never exist. I would love to see Wes Anderson remake that stretch of AIP/Price Poe horror movies. Please God, give me Wes Anderson presents The Masque of the Red Death.

Ambitious Spider
Feb 13, 2012

Lipstick Apathy

Rageaholic posted:

That "POLO!" made me laugh a lot. I'll watch this.

Ok maybe it’s just because I’ve been watching a lot of them, but the voice at the end sounds a bit like Robert Englund. Wonder if this is a woods style stealth elm street reboot.

FreudianSlippers
Apr 12, 2010

Shooting and Fucking
are the same thing!

Hollismason posted:

New Exorcist film is getting absolutely savaged by reviews and sits at like 22% on RT. Does not look like the 400 million dollar investment was worth it.

They spent 400 million on a Exorcist flick?

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

FreudianSlippers posted:

They spent 400 million on a Exorcist flick?

They probably spent $20m making an Exorcist reboot and $380m buying the name.

dorium
Nov 5, 2009

If it gets in your eyes
Just look into mine
Just look into dreams
and you'll be alright
I'll be alright

Shrecknet posted:

They probably spent $20m making an Exorcist reboot and $380m buying the name.

It was 400 million for the purchase of the franchise and 30 million for the new movies budget.
https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/exorcist-trilogy-universal-400-million-ellen-burstyn-1234653621/

Oh David
https://twitter.com/indiewire/status/1709720325116539134?s=46&t=kiFPQznpvfRS2C_e35-L0A
he had some thoughts before his passing
https://twitter.com/movieboy69/status/1709747438108442785?s=46

and now David Ehrlich has branded the movie as a Pro-Life movie
https://x.com/davidehrlich/status/1709584493869187535?s=20
but that seems to be getting contested
https://twitter.com/jamesppoole/status/1709655374364581976?s=46

but hey, Art is doing well
https://twitter.com/damienleone/status/1709947960556191777?s=46

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

dorium posted:

It was 400 million for the purchase of the franchise and 30 million for the new movies budget.
https://www.indiewire.com/features/general/exorcist-trilogy-universal-400-million-ellen-burstyn-1234653621/
ahahaha I literally guessed, and had the ratios almost spot-on

Stop using IP as a stand-in for great performers and stellar stories.

MacheteZombie
Feb 4, 2007
Hyped for T3

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
The horror trope of “ally gets stabbed/injured because someone mistook them for the bad guy” has to be the horror trope that annoys me the most. If you and your friends are being stalked by a killer, don’t silently sneak up to your already tense and armed friends, they’re just going to stab you!

It happens way too often

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

I watched Exorcist: The Beginning for the first time the other night and hated it. The new one has to be better than that piece of poo poo, right? The trailer for it didn't exactly make me curious to find out for myself, though.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic posted:

I watched Exorcist: The Beginning for the first time the other night and hated it. The new one has to be better than that piece of poo poo, right? The trailer for it didn't exactly make me curious to find out for myself, though.

Should've watched Dominion instead

Rageaholic
May 31, 2005

Old Town Road to EGOT

Basebf555 posted:

Should've watched Dominion instead
I watched it because We Hate Movies was covering it for their new episode, but yeah, I have to imagine Paul Schrader did this material better.

Basebf555
Feb 29, 2008

Fun Shoe

Rageaholic posted:

I watched it because We Hate Movies was covering it for their new episode, but yeah, I have to imagine Paul Schrader did this material better.

Not trying to say Schrader's is a masterpiece but yea it's a movie I actually enjoy and have rewatched a few times whereas The Beginning is complete garbage.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Schrader's version feels like well executed Exorcist fan fiction. Stellan Skarsgard gives a legit great performance!

moths
Aug 25, 2004

I would also still appreciate some danger.

I do have some extra foot bones, but they're unrelated to witchcraft. I just wanted to get that out there before we start burning anyone.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

MVP of Shin Godzilla:

https://i.imgur.com/X9YGrIB.mp4

Baron von Eevl
Jan 24, 2005

WHITE NOISE
GENERATOR

🔊😴

Uncle Boogeyman posted:

excellent movie

Just finished it oooooh my god why haven't I heard of this before? This is so loving good.

Uncle Boogeyman
Jul 22, 2007

Baron von Eevl posted:

Just finished it oooooh my god why haven't I heard of this before? This is so loving good.

as with Picnic at Hanging Rock, the spookiest part might be the revelation that the killer from Wolf Creek used to be a hunk.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

This is me when I probate someone.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

If you want more actually good Exorcist, just watch the criminally underrated TV show.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

David Erhlich manages to be a film critic despite having the media literacy of a comatose nematode so I’m not exactly shocked.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.
William Friedkin if he was alive would burn rubber circles in David Gordons driveway while throwing beer cans on his lawn and screaming "It loving sucks" on a loud speaker.

Dude just didn't gently caress around when it came to giving his opinion.

Hollismason fucked around with this message at 21:10 on Oct 5, 2023

Deadite
Aug 30, 2003

A fat guy, a watermelon, and a stack of magazines?
Family.
We’ll use Nicolas Winding Refn as a stand-in for David Gordon Green

https://youtu.be/1jPWGEoyJHY?si=NfTFiLiFpe8uOvWj

Splint Chesthair
Dec 27, 2004

After watching Halloween Kills/Ends on consecutive nights I no longer have any confidence in David Gordon Green as a horror guy.

Hollismason
Jun 30, 2007
An alright dude.

Deadite posted:

We’ll use Nicolas Winding Refn as a stand-in for David Gordon Green

https://youtu.be/1jPWGEoyJHY?si=NfTFiLiFpe8uOvWj

LMAO at Friedkin.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Splint Chesthair posted:

After watching Halloween Kills/Ends on consecutive nights I no longer have any confidence in David Gordon Green as a horror guy.

Same. But I’m still a fan.

Hyped af for T3

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Origami Dali
Jan 7, 2005

Get ready to fuck!
You fucker's fucker!
You fucker!
DGG can go kick dog turds