Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Chef Boyardeez Nuts
Sep 9, 2011

The more you kick against the pricks, the more you suffer.

Valentin posted:

rafe says he wanted to do the three boys hunting the horn, but that he couldn't because the actor was gone in season 1. i'm saying the actor being gone in season 1 is irrelevant to that, because they already teleport the actor from where he was at the end of season 2 into the hands of liandrin. they could've put him anywhere they wanted at the start of season 2 and no one would've batted an eye because everyone was extremely aware that season 1 got hosed by covid.

It is extremely relevant to that because it forced Matt so far out of the party that it made him dropping in for the hunt impossible.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

Chef Boyardeez Nuts posted:

It is extremely relevant to that because it forced Matt so far out of the party that it made him dropping in for the hunt impossible.

Having him with The Team ready to find the Horn 6 months later makes as much sense as Liandrin having him for some reason.

Natural 20
Sep 17, 2007

Wearer of Compasses. Slayer of Gods. Champion of the Colosseum. Heart of the Void.
Saviour of Hallownest.
Y'know, perhaps Lan's realisation about Moraine should have come more explicitly from him realising that HE doesn't want to die.

That would have actually made sad warder retrospectively relevant.

tylertfb
Mar 3, 2004

Time.Space.Transmat.

Natural 20 posted:

Y'know, perhaps Lan's realisation about Moraine should have come more explicitly from him realising that HE doesn't want to die.

That would have actually made sad warder retrospectively relevant.

That’s why he asked her about her experience, to confirm the hunch he got from his own feelings.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Valentin posted:

rafe says he wanted to do the three boys hunting the horn, but that he couldn't because the actor was gone in season 1. i'm saying the actor being gone in season 1 is irrelevant to that, because they already teleport the actor from where he was at the end of season 2 into the hands of liandrin. they could've put him anywhere they wanted at the start of season 2 and no one would've batted an eye because everyone was extremely aware that season 1 got hosed by covid.
Just to have the source and exact text here:

Screen Rant Interview posted:

When asked about Mat’s season 2 story in a recent interview with Screen Rant, showrunner Rafe Judkins shines a light on why that’s the case, tying it all back to Barney Harris:

Rafe Judkins: It was a complete rewrite of the entire season. We always wanted to tell the story in season 2 of, “Mat is a hero who doesn't think he's a hero,” and I would have loved to tell the story of the three boys on the hunt for the Horn of Valere, but we didn't get to tell that story. In TV, you can never be apologetic about the story you're telling. so [since] we couldn't do that story, we wanted to lean in fully to the story of the five of the Emond’s Field Five being separate for the first time, [with] each of them on their own path.
The following exchange confirms that certain season, 1 finale moments departed from the source material in order to set up a new season 2 vision:

Screen Rant: Does that mean Rand making his choice at the end of season 1 was building toward keeping them apart as a result of Mat?

Rafe Judkins: Yeah. That was a big part of it; committing to this idea of all of them being separate was something we needed to do, and so we did, and I think we told really effective storylines of each of them on their own.
I can't imagine the chaos at the end of season 1 with Covid AND Harris leaving. That said, I still find it impressive that everyone having to do with the show is defending Barney Harris leaving.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 16:43 on Oct 5, 2023

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Rarity posted:

I always found Rand to be a really bland character in the first couple of books so nothing has really changed for me. He gets hit hard by Main Protagonist Syndrome

I liked him from the jump. Just kinda a guy who likes books who has way too much poo poo happen to him. Esp by the second book he's way more interesting than, say, Pug from Riftwar or any similar characters from that era. His entail instability and trauma made him a more complex character.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DTurtle posted:

Just to have the source and exact text here:

I can't imagine the chaos at the end of season 1 with Covid AND Harris leaving. That said, I still find it impressive that everyone having to do with the show is defending Barney Harris leaving.

That's making me think more and more like it was just a complete mental health breakdown exacerbated by the pandemic. Because if he'd just got fired for being an rear end in a top hat or showing up to work horribly late or blasted on drugs and booze ala Johnny Depp or refusing to mask up or get vaccinated to come back to film like Gina Carano did or just randomly walked off set, breached his contract, and ghosted everyone completely, I doubt they'd still be being this charitable to him this far out from it happening, and the fact that his real reasons for leaving STILL haven't leaked out anywhere yet shows how seriously they take whatever the hell happened there.

minema
May 31, 2011

Devorum posted:

Having him with The Team ready to find the Horn 6 months later makes as much sense as Liandrin having him for some reason.

I don't think it does, their plot has him in the city he was already in with two other characters having a line of dialogue to explain why Liandrin has him - it's clumsy but makes sense. The rest of the gang go through the ways to get to the Borderlands and there's already enough complaints about the world seeming small, if he just popped up on the other side of the world I think it'd seem very cheap, although he has just been Forsaken-ed to Falme so maybe they could have done something similarly handwave-y.

I don't I love his plot so far although possibly will help set up his ongoing hatred of magic more but I think they could have done some more interesting stuff without him joining the hunt. I think if they pull his plot off later the two seasons of being just okay will be overlooked so I'm withholding judgement for now.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

That's making me think more and more like it was just a complete mental health breakdown exacerbated by the pandemic. Because if he'd just got fired for being an rear end in a top hat or showing up to work horribly late or blasted on drugs and booze ala Johnny Depp or refusing to mask up or get vaccinated to come back to film like Gina Carano did or just randomly walked off set, breached his contract, and ghosted everyone completely, I doubt they'd still be being this charitable to him this far out from it happening, and the fact that his real reasons for leaving STILL haven't leaked out anywhere yet shows how seriously they take whatever the hell happened there.

Yeah, that's my take too. By process of elimination it has to have been a health breakdown of some kind because anything else would have come out.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

minema posted:

I don't think it does, their plot has him in the city he was already in with two other characters having a line of dialogue to explain why Liandrin has him - it's clumsy but makes sense. The rest of the gang go through the ways to get to the Borderlands and there's already enough complaints about the world seeming small, if he just popped up on the other side of the world I think it'd seem very cheap, although he has just been Forsaken-ed to Falme so maybe they could have done something similarly handwave-y.
But Min goes from the Borderlands to the room next to Mat in the same amount of time and presumably does not take the ways.

minema
May 31, 2011

Pleads posted:

But Min goes from the Borderlands to the room next to Mat in the same amount of time and presumably does not take the ways.

Ah poo poo you're right that makes no sense either. Okay yeah they could have just teleported Mat, or maybe he could have been chasing the dagger and then runs into them chasing Fain and that would make more sense than Min suddenly being in Tar Valon. I wonder what they would have done with her if the three boys had stayed together.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

minema posted:

I don't I love his plot so far although possibly will help set up his ongoing hatred of magic more but I think they could have done some more interesting stuff without him joining the hunt. I think if they pull his plot off later the two seasons of being just okay will be overlooked so I'm withholding judgement for now.

Just have Lanfear shoot him off to wherever the rest of the cast is, done

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Mats thing in the show isn’t luck, it’s just appearing randomly.

I arrive again, lews therin

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
They've actually done a pretty good job of setting up Mat for what should be his big moment tonight.

He's very clearly the show's "YOLO, I'll try it! Cursed Magic? Evil tea? I'm a gonna toot that horn, bitches!" Guy

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They've actually done a pretty good job of setting up Mat for what should be his big moment tonight.

He's very clearly the show's "YOLO, I'll try it! Cursed Magic? Evil tea? I'm a gonna toot that horn, bitches!" Guy

I mean, "how the gently caress are you not dead yet?" is a kind of luck, isn't it?

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

Prediction:

When Lanfear finds out Rand's been getting his smash on, she will try revenge-bang Mat. Mat will 100% go for it because fuckit, then when it doesn't break Rand's heart she'll try murder Mat with the Power, neatly demonstrating the power of his medallion.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

No, Chain of Command was two weeks ago with Egwene :v:

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

No, Chain of Command was two weeks ago with Egwene :v:

I've always liked Jayne's interpretation, personally

seaborgium
Aug 1, 2002

"Nothing a shitload of bleach won't fix"

Yeah, that's my take too. By process of elimination it has to have been a health breakdown of some kind because anything else would have come out.

Yeah, even if they had really, really strong NDA's someone would have leaked that he had done something bad, rather than something had happened to or involving him.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

seaborgium posted:

Yeah, even if they had really, really strong NDA's someone would have leaked that he had done something bad, rather than something had happened to or involving him.

Yeah, I remember when Ruby Rose left Batwoman after one season, like literally EVERY bit of dirty laundry about the show came spilling out in her wake. She was like "the producers were grossly irresponsible and they nearly shattered my spine doing a stunt they assured me was safe and then actually paralyzed another woman on the crew by dropping an unsecured lighting fixture on her head because they ran an unsafe shitshow of a work environment", and then the producers and a bunch of cast members immediately fired back with poo poo like "Ruby Rose was terrible to work with, wasn't ready for the rigors of working on a TV show, showed up late to set all the time, was a miserable bore the whole time and literally nobody liked her as a person."

So Harris's departure from Wheel of Time so far has just been the absolute paragon of professionalism from the rest of the cast, crew, and Harris himself in just not talking about it at a.

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

Yeah, I remember when Ruby Rose left Batwoman after one season, like literally EVERY bit of dirty laundry about the show came spilling out in her wake. She was like "the producers were grossly irresponsible and they nearly shattered my spine doing a stunt they assured me was safe and then actually paralyzed another woman on the crew by dropping an unsecured lighting fixture on her head because they ran an unsafe shitshow of a work environment", and then the producers and a bunch of cast members immediately fired back with poo poo like "Ruby Rose was terrible to work with, wasn't ready for the rigors of working on a TV show, showed up late to set all the time, was a miserable bore the whole time and literally nobody liked her as a person."

So Harris's departure from Wheel of Time so far has just been the absolute paragon of professionalism from the rest of the cast, crew, and Harris himself in just not talking about it at a.

I've said it before and I'll say it again.

I really, really hope he's OK.

Omnomnomnivore
Nov 14, 2010

I'm swiftly moving toward a solution which pleases nobody! YEAGGH!
Last week they talked about the Dragon being "bannered in the sky" or something, so I don't think it will be Rand vs. Ishy up there (as much as I wish it would be like that rad Legion clip). Maybe a big magical dragon flying around that everyone sees? Which could the sign for the Aiel that they found their car'a'carn.

Only other thing I'm confident about for tonight is Mat's tootin' that horn and Uno's coming back. 50/50 on Egwene killing Renna when she gets rescued. Leaving her alive could be a narrative hook for later seasons.

Hughmoris
Apr 21, 2007
Let's go to the abyss!

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Last week they talked about the Dragon being "bannered in the sky" or something, so I don't think it will be Rand vs. Ishy up there (as much as I wish it would be like that rad Legion clip). Maybe a big magical dragon flying around that everyone sees? Which could the sign for the Aiel that they found their car'a'carn.

I can't remember but didn't the season 1 finale show flying contraptions? Maybe there will be a literal banner towed across the sky, like you might see on Panama City Beach during spring break.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Omnomnomnivore posted:

Only other thing I'm confident about for tonight is Mat's tootin' that horn and Uno's coming back. 50/50 on Egwene killing Renna when she gets rescued. Leaving her alive could be a narrative hook for later seasons.

I think if Egwene doesn't kill Renna then she most definitely collars her and walks away. That's about the only way I can see her willingly letting her walk away alive from the end of that storyline.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

I'm sad we won't get:

But we never were, I'm just crazy.

what if aubrey plaza gets high out of an elephant pipe tho

Barreft fucked around with this message at 00:05 on Oct 6, 2023

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006

nine-gear crow posted:

I think if Egwene doesn't kill Renna then she most definitely collars her and walks away. That's about the only way I can see her willingly letting her walk away alive from the end of that storyline.

You mean like how it happened in the books?

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Sky battle can't be too hard, you just need someone creative enough like Noah Hawley

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i'm curious if/when we're going to get the dragonmount prologue at some point as like a cold open to further highlight how hosed up it is to be the dragon

not that i'm saying it will happen or that i think it has a decent chance of it with tonight's episode, but 'rand is declared at falme' seems a fair enough opportunity to juxtapose those two things

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

Given the s1 finale cold opened with the lead up to it, it would make sense for s2 to open at Dragonmount

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

If we're expecting a sky battle I can't imagine them able to afford a whole forming a mountain as well in the same episode.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Grundulum posted:

You mean like how it happened in the books?
I could see them changing things for Renna to die at Egwene's hand when she escapes, as long as Seta (or whoever the other wonder girls collared last ep) is left collared for the Seanchan to find.

Renna doesn't really have any value in her storyline after Egwene gets away, and she ultimately dies like 7 books later making a break for it during the whole Mat-in-the-Circus storyline which may end up being cut (and if not, then it doesn't matter that Renna in particular dies so much as Mat has to give the ok to kill another woman).

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

Pleads posted:

I could see them changing things for Renna to die at Egwene's hand when she escapes, as long as Seta (or whoever the other wonder girls collared last ep) is left collared for the Seanchan to find.

Renna doesn't really have any value in her storyline after Egwene gets away, and she ultimately dies like 7 books later making a break for it during the whole Mat-in-the-Circus storyline which may end up being cut (and if not, then it doesn't matter that Renna in particular dies so much as Mat has to give the ok to kill another woman).

i'm imagining a beautiful future where the WoT tv show is so perfect and beloved that it has the time to do the awful circus plotline

cailleask
May 6, 2007

I’m confused why people are confused about why Liandrin has Mat? Moiraine literally sent a letter to the Red Ajah telling them to capture Mat. On camera. Liandrin knew Mat was one of hers, so it’s not at all a leap for her to then take Mat on behalf of her Ajah to figure out why he’s so important?

Like sure they could have dropped that plot thread onto the floor I guess and teleported him to the boys, but somehow I think people would be equally or more pissed off about that?

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

eke out posted:

i'm imagining a beautiful future where the WoT tv show is so perfect and beloved that it has the time to do the awful circus plotline

cailleask posted:

I’m confused why people are confused about why Liandrin has Mat? Moiraine literally sent a letter to the Red Ajah telling them to capture Mat. On camera.
This was also necessitated by covid/barney harris leaving loving up their planned ep 7 and 8 story. Without that, Mat doesn't abandon the crew, there's no reason for Moiraine to leave a not for the Reds and him to end up a prisoner.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

let's go

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
Hell yes lets go!

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain
gently caress YES

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

lanfear's Age of Legends Businesswear sleeveless white blouse and high waisted black pants is another great outfit

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Fauxshiz
Jan 3, 2007
Jumbo Sized
This show owns bones please don't stop