Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
It's an interesting conversation for someone living in the modern era and not at all interesting for a dude who's lived hundreds of years as fingers

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

notwithyourheart
Dec 27, 2013

yuji is not wearing any kind of cursed tool, he is incarnating the other death painting wombs

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Zzulu posted:

That's exactly what Sukuna thinks as well. He just said the whole conversation is dumb, which is why I like him.

sure, but 20+ chapters of your super cool lead villain going "this conversation is dumb and boring" will just lead me to agree that it is dumb and boring. I'm ready for the next beat.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Shouldnt yuuji and hammer both be immediately dead? Or am I not understand sukuna's powers?

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No Wave posted:

Shouldnt yuuji and hammer both be immediately dead? Or am I not understand sukuna's powers?

his domain expansion is the “you are instantly pureed” version of his attack, the ones he’s using now take some minimal effort/aiming

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

JahRoo posted:

wikipedia says you are the other 6 death paintings, when did that happen?
From the start. It was said that Kenjaku created 9, and numbers 1-3 were taken in that raid and then incarnated

No Wave posted:

How do you understand his powers? Cause I have no reason to think they would be dead.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Oxxidation posted:

his domain expansion is the “you are instantly pureed” version of his attack, the ones he’s using now take some minimal effort/aiming
What was the thing he did when he cut the top of pompadour's head off?

MonsterEnvy posted:

How do you understand his powers? Cause I have no reason to think they would be dead.
I thought he could cut things almost instantaneously at almost any close-ish range.

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007

No Wave posted:

the standard version. he hit ishigori with a normal cleave, ishigori tanked it, and sukuna went “oh lol you’re actually kind of tough” and split his head with a slightly stronger version

malevolent shrine auto-activates on anyone in its sphere of influence and doesn’t stop cutting until the target is dead or the technique is cancelled

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

No Wave posted:

I thought he could cut things almost instantaneously at almost any close-ish range.

He has to gesture first.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.
technically he’s always gesturing + reciting the chant with his second pair of arms and mouth.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

yum posted:

its just another one of those things that’s so obvious in its simplicity, like why didn’t I think of that, no poo poo having another pair of arms and mouth would be advantageous when the fighting system is based around hand seals and chants. Cutting space is another example, or the concept of an open domain expansion. No one bothered to even imagine them as possibilities in the first place.
But having a second mouth doesnt make sense! Where is his second set of vocal cords! And if he's jutsuing the words out why does he need a cosmetic mouth to start with!

Comedy man can end this fight whenever he wants btw.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
he’s magic wizard Buddha-Goro. His 2nd vocal cords could be stored in his balls or something

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

Yuji and Sukuna are about to have a bare-knuckle deathmatch thanks to JUSTICE man, no cursed energy or cursed techniques. First one to fall has to apologize to Megumi!

But really, I do wonder how long Megumi's body and/or soul is going to be able to withstand Sukuna's fully-incarnated form before falling to pieces. Other sorcerers have incarnated into their host bodies before, but none of them were ever on or near Sukuna's level - it's unlikely that even compatible sorcerers would be able to maintain his form indefinitely. Itadori is many things, but the idea that he's probably a recreation of Sukuna (or at least a descendant) means that his body would be able to withstand it without any issues - after all, there's an interesting parallel between Itadori and Sukuna in that Itadori also grew up surrounded by people weaker than him considering his superhuman level of physical prowess. While he may be compatible, Megumi's body wasn't exactly designed by Kenjaku for that purpose in the way that Itadori's is.

LuiCypher fucked around with this message at 18:34 on Oct 6, 2023

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

LuiCypher posted:

Yuji and Sukuna are about to have a bare-knuckle deathmatch thanks to JUSTICE man, no cursed energy or cursed techniques. First one to fall has to apologize to Megumi!

But really, I do wonder how long Megumi's body and/or soul is going to be able to withstand Sukuna's fully-incarnated form before falling to pieces. Other sorcerers have incarnated into their host bodies before, but none of them were ever on or near Sukuna's level - it's unlikely that even compatible sorcerers would be able to maintain his form indefinitely. Itadori is many things, but the idea that he's probably a recreation of Sukuna (or at least a descendant) means that his body would be able to withstand it without any issues - after all, there's an interesting parallel between Itadori and Sukuna in that Itadori also grew up surrounded by people weaker than him considering his superhuman level of physical prowess. While he may be compatible, Megumi's body wasn't exactly designed by Kenjaku for that purpose in the way that Itadori's is.

To be honest I feel like "Megumi can be rescued" at this point feels kind of lame. Sukuna incarnated in him and then proceeded to absolutely destroy him spiritually and mentally. Even if he gets rescued he has basically nothing left.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

ImpAtom posted:

To be honest I feel like "Megumi can be rescued" at this point feels kind of lame. Sukuna incarnated in him and then proceeded to absolutely destroy him spiritually and mentally. Even if he gets rescued he has basically nothing left.

Hes got the same thing the rest of the protags have. Each other.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

ZenMasterBullshit posted:

Hes got the same thing the rest of the protags have. Each other.

even better. he has a good dog

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
hmmmm the protags motivation in ch1 is to die a good death surrounded by others and the villain and failed mentor are isolated pillars of strength alone on the mountaintop....

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day

Valentin posted:

I just don't think "being the strongest" or "the strongest is lonely" or "love and being the strongest" are interesting or even particularly coherent concepts as gege writes about them, so the fact that this is apparently what really really interests him as we near the end is underwhelming

I think there's some missing the forest for the trees going on. JJK has been about self-realization - in whatever form this might take - from day one, and most of the introduced incarnated sorcerers were extremely powerful individuals during their own time who nevertheless found themselves looking for greater strength and/or meaning, and in Gojo's case he had been cursed with the question of what strength means for his identity posed to him by Geto at the end of Hidden Inventory.

The way Sukuna addresses these notions is not because he's just some aloof rear end in a top hat, but to showcase just how it is that he achieved enlightenment. He tells them that if they were looking to find some kind of kindred spirit in him as a way to parse their own feelings then they were on the wrong track, and only projecting their own anxieties, because you cannot reach your ideal self by comparing yourself (conforming) to others.

This is all also to help refine where the needle lands for JJK in regards to the power of bonds and friendship, a concept that is extremely prevalent in the genre but which this series is consistently dismissive of (but for one arguably two cases) within its internal philosophy.

LuiCypher
Apr 24, 2010

Today I'm... amped up!

ImpAtom posted:

I joking say the first to fall has to apologize to Fushiguro, but it's also important to note that "apologize" does not necessarily mean that the person in question is rescued. After all, apologies often come before one's demise. If Fushiguro was to be "rescued", I think one of the few people capable of salvaging him before he just crumbles into nothing from an exhausted body/soul is Hana? Even then, it's suggested that though she might be able to separate Sukuna from Fushiguro it's highly likely that Fushiguro dies anyways.

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Conspiratiorist posted:

I think there's some missing the forest for the trees going on. JJK has been about self-realization - in whatever form this might take - from day one, and most of the introduced incarnated sorcerers were extremely powerful individuals during their own time who nevertheless found themselves looking for greater strength and/or meaning, and in Gojo's case he had been cursed with the question of what strength means for his identity posed to him by Geto at the end of Hidden Inventory.

The way Sukuna addresses these notions is not because he's just some aloof rear end in a top hat, but to showcase just how it is that he achieved enlightenment. He tells them that if they were looking to find some kind of kindred spirit in him as a way to parse their own feelings then they were on the wrong track, and only projecting their own anxieties, because you cannot reach your ideal self by comparing yourself (conforming) to others.

This is all also to help refine where the needle lands for JJK in regards to the power of bonds and friendship, a concept that is extremely prevalent in the genre but which this series is consistently dismissive of (but for one arguably two cases) within its internal philosophy.

my problem isn't the stuff about reaching enlightenment/self-actualization, and obviously yuji's dying surrounded by friends thing makes him a clear philosophical foil to sukuna in this respect, since sukuna achieves enlightenment through absolute egoism while yuji's vision of a fulfilled life means friendship which inevitably means caring for others and their needs.

the problem is that strength doesn't mean anything.

Valentin fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 6, 2023

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Sukuna must have 2 wieners and 4 balls

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Takaba can make this happen

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

Bread Set Jettison posted:

sukuna, su-ku-na. twelve stories high made of radiation. the present beware, the future beware, he's coming, he's coming, he's coming.

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

one time sukuna sat on his own balls and had to stop jujutsu fighting for a few days.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

It's 2 weiners/4 balls the power of one of the jojo protagonists?

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Jerkface posted:

one time sukuna sat on his own balls and had to stop jujutsu fighting for a few days.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JVtcfjF6geQ&t=2505s

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

If we ever get into a dumb slap fight about this comic please quote my post about Sukuna having 2 dicks and 4 balls as a remedy

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

CharlestonJew posted:

even better. he has a good dog

His name is Yuji.

Gearhead
Feb 13, 2007
The Metroid of Humor

MonsterEnvy posted:

From the start. It was said that Kenjaku created 9, and numbers 1-3 were taken in that raid and then incarnated

There's an interesting observation on this that someone made. It appears the Death Womb Paintings were named for the 'Stages of Decay' paintings, which is a set of 9 paintings depicting the stages of decomposition of a single figure. And someone was supposed to be working on a tenth painting for a set they were working on, depicting the figure as they would have been in life. In this interpretation of the paintings, Yuji would be the tenth.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Valentin posted:

my problem isn't the stuff about reaching enlightenment/self-actualization, and obviously yuji's dying surrounded by friends thing makes him a clear philosophical foil to sukuna in this respect, since sukuna achieves enlightenment through absolute egoism while yuji's vision of a fulfilled life means friendship which inevitably means caring for others and their needs.

Yuji notably does better in fights when he has someone to fight with. His 1 on 1 fight record is terrible, but he fights well with a partner or team.

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

MonsterEnvy posted:

My bad was phone posting and it auto corrected. Apparently Yuji ate the other 6?

Conspiratiorist
Nov 12, 2015

17th Separate Kryvyi Rih Tank Brigade named after Konstantin Pestushko
Look to my coming on the first light of the fifth sixth some day
Only sane way to interpret the way Choso told Yuji that their siblings would live on as part of him.

TheHan
Oct 29, 2011

Grind, you poor fool!
Grind straight for the stars!

MonsterEnvy posted:

Yuji notably does better in fights when he has someone to fight with. His 1 on 1 fight record is terrible, but he fights well with a partner or team.

that’s his cursed technique: bros

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
for someone who is 100% sure of everything and anything, it’s strange how Sukuna is constantly underestimating Yuji and shows little interest in some of his truly abnormal and unexplainable aspects. First there’s Yuji’s mindset - the dude is not right in the head as noted by Gojo. He even killed himself even when Sukuna believed he wouldn’t have the guts to. Then there’s the source of his abnormal durability and physical strength - no curiosity at all. He’s the perfect cage capable of suppressing the King of Curses, a once in a thousand year individual. That caught Sukuna off guard, but there was no questioning beyond thinking strange, why can’t I take control.

Maybe it was all explained to Sukuna by Kenjaku. But even then, why does he see no potential in a vessel capable of housing and suppressing even the ultimate soul?

We actually have an example of a vessel who houses multiple souls and gains extra powers as a function of that: Panda. In Panda’s case, his three souls worked together towards a greater purpose, namely his big brother and sister protected Panda by allowing him to borrow their abilities. This directly opposes Sukuna’s ideology that one only needs themselves to grow stronger. Sukuna may be blind to this possibility as someone who feels connecting with others is worthless.

yum fucked around with this message at 06:38 on Oct 7, 2023

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It would still be very funny if Takaba arrived to save the day by doing a kanchō on Sukuna that was so powerful it defeated him in one hit.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

yum posted:

for someone who is 100% sure of everything and anything, it’s strange how Sukuna is constantly underestimating Yuji and shows little interest in some of his truly abnormal and unexplainable aspects. First there’s Yuji’s mindset - the dude is not right in the head as noted by Gojo. He even killed himself even when Sukuna believed he wouldn’t have the guts to. Then there’s the source of his abnormal durability and physical strength - no curiosity at all. He’s the perfect cage capable of suppressing the King of Curses, a once in a thousand year individual. That caught Sukuna off guard, but there was no questioning beyond thinking strange, why can’t I take control.

Maybe it was all explained to Sukuna by Kenjaku. But even then, why does he see no potential in a vessel capable of housing and suppressing even the ultimate soul?

We actually have an example of a vessel who houses multiple souls and gains extra powers as a function of that: Panda. In Panda’s case, his three souls worked together towards a greater purpose, namely his big brother and sister protected Panda by allowing him to borrow their abilities. This directly opposes Sukuna’s ideology that one only needs themselves to grow stronger. Sukuna may be blind to this possibility as someone who feels connecting with others is worthless.

Cause he hates him. Like I can't think of anyone Sukuna dislikes more than Yuji. He also knows Yuji very well having gotten all of his memories and knowledge back when he was in him.

stuker
Jul 9, 2003

who knows where things are going at this point, but i've always expected the death paintings to be more of a yuji v kenjaku deal

i think we're gonna have a couple chapters of some doomed plan with judgeman, which leads to yuji saving megumi (prob how yuji starts to understand the death paintings). i hope it doesn't happen, but yuji could also just "punch sukuna but not megumi" and i wouldn't really blink

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

MonsterEnvy posted:

Cause he hates him. Like I can't think of anyone Sukuna dislikes more than Yuji. He also knows Yuji very well having gotten all of his memories and knowledge back when he was in him.

Yeah! It’s basically Mahito and Yuji all over again but at a deeper level. Yuji’s “I am you, you are me speech, my purpose is to kill you” speech applies even though Sukuna is not a cursed spirit. Plus the obvious parallels like the two page spread of Sukuna and Mahito sharing a laugh.

You could even argue that Mahito’s downfall was because of hatred of Yuji. He had the same potential as teenage Gojo and Sukuna, even making the same speech as Sukuna’s words to Kashimo, and was evolving at a rapid pace. But he strayed from the path and became attached to his obsession with Yuji, changing his goal from becoming stronger just because to becoming stronger to kill Yuji. We now know that his “perfect form” is anything but when compared to Sukuna’s body. He was too hasty, it was the body he imagined that would defeat Yuji, but clearly not the perfect body that would maximize his potential for jujutsu. The guy’s power runs on touching people, why didn’t he imagine himself to have more/longer arms or something.

It’s the classic villain’s dislike of the protagonist causes them to underestimate them leading to their downfall. At least, that’s how it should go narratively. Sukuna hasn’t displayed any weaknesses apart from hubris. There’s no way Gege would write it as everything is within Sukuna’s expectations and he kills everyone, the end (…right?). At least, I don’t think Shonen Jump would let him do that considering their publication requirements.

sorry for rambling, i’ve been stuck in a car with too much idle time

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Mahito's domain expansion did actually kind of do that, didn't it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah his sure-hit in there is "I'm automatically touching your soul lol" so better hope you have a domain of your own or you are super-good at Simple Domain.