Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

Someone photoshop in a wheelchair sitting at the end of the hallway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

somehow that last av was even worse than your posting
Theres a crack in the hallway ceiling!

Do I complain? dunno. I'll mention it next time theyre back I guess. Along with asking for my two LED spotlights back that have disappeared into one of their vans.

As the plasterboard in the main room has progressed I've been able to move up the scaffolding for the temporary floor above. Haven't seen this wall unmolested in a while.

With the scaffolding down at the other end I've been trying and failing to sort out the chimney, where it goes through the ceiling.

So I bought another one of these things. A big high temp silicon thing in a metal frame. But I can't make it work well enough to sandwich in into the ceiling with the plasterboard. It says its for upto 200mm flues at up to 45 degrees pitch of roof. Which is exactly me. After faffing about with it and putting slits in the metal and basically wrecking it I re read the small print and basically if youre at the upper bounds of girth and angle it doesnt work. You have to buy a bigger rubber. So ordered that. 50 quid wasted.

Next issue. The steel "goalposts" around the bifolds. You might remember installing these in the first place was not without its troubles.

These all need to be covered up with fireboard plasterboard for building regs. Its just heavy pink plasterboard. Maybe its got chemicals in it or soemthing I dunno.

I've filled the "I" beam (wrong font for this) section with some wedged/glued in timbers and insulated the gaps ready to take the fireboard on the wall plane face of it.

But what to do underneath where it is just steel? I ask the plasterers and they pull lots of faces and basically their mental processes grind to a halt so I have to change the subject to reboot them.

Issue is the numbskull who machined them up in the first place ignored me and put flanges and bolts in the bifold aperture.

Ignore the big crack, thats not todays problem. So I can't just glue/adhesive the board to the underside of the steel as youtube suggests as there is that extra crap in the way. I'm going to need to install something to space that and receive the board being screwed up into it.

Something like this but not the batten its a bit fat

Bit scared of this but didnt see any other way so rented this

a gun for shooting nails into steel beams

Its got bluetooth and an app? No battery and doesnt plug in but a big thing on it saying it can electrocute you. loving spaceman raygun poo poo.

these are the bullets

and the nails

I turn it all the way up and loving BANG

but it still doesnt get the nail all the way in. also first time it didnt shoot a nail just punched that blackened hole.

hmmm.

I'd split the timber down the middle as I was going to run one at the front and one at the back. Last minute sanity check and I realise my ventilation pipes down to the utility and for kitchen extraction are running inside that space behind the steel. If I nail in near the back I risk puncturing them.

so instead install them together and dont split the rest of the timbers

Bit of a mess. I tried predrilling a countersunk hole and trying to fire the nail into it. But it didnt work.

So i just smash a load in and grind the heads off. Still seems pretty solid.

cut some insulation into the leftover gaps, not really for insulative properties just to have something rigid behind the fireboard for when its plastered.

and cover it up

Both done

then whip the covers off the other bifold ready for outside work.

Its weirdly open now. Feel unprotected.

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 22:59 on Oct 2, 2023

Arivia
Mar 17, 2011

perfect i can hear david caruso's death screams from here thank you

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

Cracks like that in the plaster are normal and will keep happening, you're just going to have to fill them before you paint.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Theres a crack in the hallway ceiling!

Do I complain? dunno. I'll mention it next time theyre back I guess. Along with asking for my two LED spotlights back that have disappeared into one of their vans.

Ignore the big crack, thats not todays problem. So I can't just glue/adhesive the board to the underside of the steel as youtube suggests as there is that extra crap in the way. I'm going to need to install something to space that and receive the board being screwed up into it.

:catstare:

Drywall/plaster cracks seem inevitable, but that aerated brick crack...

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Cracks in aerogel bricks like that one are normal, several space shuttle flights had cracked tiles and survived reentry.

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

"That's not today's problem" joining the pantheon of "lets hope they listen to me this time" and "how hard could it be?"

UCS Hellmaker
Mar 29, 2008
Toilet Rascal
Considering the consensus has been staring at those aero blocks can break them I figure covering them with tape will be absolutely fine.

Fidelitious
Apr 17, 2018

MY BIRTH CRY WILL BE THE SOUND OF EVERY WALLET ON THIS PLANET OPENING IN UNISON.
If you can't see it, it's not a problem is my motto.

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
Slap some epoxy on it. Epoxy fixes everything.

Nighthand
Nov 4, 2009

what horror the gas

Once the plaster is up the bricks will no longer be load-bearing, so it's fine. Then once the paint goes up, the plaster will no longer be load-bearing, so it's fine.

MetaJew
Apr 14, 2006
Gather round, one and all, and thrill to my turgid tales of underwhelming misadventure!

goatface posted:

Slap some epoxy on it. Epoxy fixes everything.

Epoxy is probably stronger than air bricks.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

The parge coat under the plaster is some expensive stuff with reinforcing fibres in it, and where there are cracks I've asked them to set mesh into the build up of the plastering too. So it's sort of a joint effort between all the elements to hold itself together.

The issue there is where the green oak bears on the walls. As it has dried out and shrunk it's tried to drag the walls in with it. The oak is sitting, unfixed on steel bearing plates on top of the engineering brick padstones with the idea that they could slide with expansion/ contraction. But they don't seem to have helped really. Maybe they have and it would have been even worse without.

The hope is the wood only dries out once so there shouldn't be any further movement now. Minimal anyway

Leperflesh
May 17, 2007

it takes about a year per inch of thickness for wet wood to dry, so IMO you've got probably four years of drying or so left on those beams

Jaded Burnout
Jul 10, 2004

I’m still getting those cracks appearing from time to time on the stress focuses (window corners etc) and this plaster went in 5 years ago.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

I mean I've been going 3 years

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

With the cracks we had I scraped a v shaped divot along the crack to about 3mm thick and deep, filled with a flexible stranded filler such as toupret, then skimmed over with a feathered thin plaster layer, and they did not come back.
The toupret has to be treated like a silicone, don't get it anywhere except in the divot and scrape it back while wet, don't let it dry.

This won't work on your light weight blocks tho, lol

Failed Imagineer
Sep 22, 2018

Jaded Burnout posted:

I’m still getting those cracks appearing from time to time on the stress focuses (window corners etc) and this plaster went in 5 years ago.

My plaster all cracked around the mushroom plugs into the plasterboard after about 12 months. Plaster just be like that, I guess

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.
I’m in a new build (square shape not L shaped) and after about 4 months it stopped the random creaking of stuff. No major cracks, nothing some flexible sealant and paint couldn’t solve.

LloydDobler
Oct 15, 2005

You shared it with a dick.

NotJustANumber99 posted:

it's sort of a joint effort

Nice :dadjoke:

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp
Look who's here for spooky season!

Only registered members can see post attachments!

Endjinneer
Aug 17, 2005
Fallen Rib

NotJustANumber99 posted:

Not today's problem

We did the high temperature silicon flue pipe gasket thing to get the airtightness. It works OK as far as I can tell but we'd already had the test done before we added the stove. I gunged up around the flue pipe with some Orcon-F as well, it's meant to be rated to 70 degrees.
We fixed plasterboard to the beam using tek screws, but that was into a 5 thick RHS and the flanges of your beam might have been a bit chunky for that. Either way, hilti caps are a far more fun way of doing it..

El Pollo Blanco
Jun 12, 2013

by sebmojo

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I re read the small print and basically if youre at the upper bounds of girth it doesnt work. You have to buy a bigger rubber.

There's a thread title in this one

Bobby Deluxe
May 9, 2004

https://www.msn.com/en-GB/travel/ne...apphireappshare

AFewBricksShy
Jun 19, 2003

of a full load.

Someone did this earlier, I felt the need to update it.

Starbucks
Jul 7, 2002

Your daily cup of fuck you.

CancerCakes
Jan 10, 2006

This thread is the best Photoshop thread

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

CancerCakes posted:

This thread is the best Photoshop thread

:bighow:

but none of these are edits?!?!?!

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

got rid of that bullshit chimney rubber. got a bigger one. much better

then plasterboard over

progressing with plasterboarding ceiling in great room

mainly working alone so find it easier to put up sheets in halves. yeah more joints but its getting done

need to sort out the skylight reveals. Going to use some insulated board around the upstand as it is basically just timber to the the outside world and forums suggest this will like prevent condensation here. Then I need a 12.5mm edge bead to wedge this in just beneath the glass to allow the plasterers to finish nicely against my infinity glazing.

Difficult to get, had to drive to a farflung travis perkins. They wanted a tenner a go. i said no. they suggested £2.50. er... yeah FFS after people have just attempted to screw you four times over and you just caught them out... zero hit. They just roll straight through it.

Heres what it looks like trimmed up and attached to the marmox board

and then bammed in the skylights

So I've done most of the ceiling at this point. Plasterer appears a few times to ask me the same poorly formed question. I eventually establish what hes saying is I've hosed up.

I thought it was a good idea to like span the joints on the plasterboard into the middle of the rafters. I forget why now.

But yeah the plasterer says this is dumb as poo poo and wont work. Like you can see here in this picture again, the fixings arent at the edges of the plasterboard

Now he says it. Yeah. loving obviously. What a moron. glad they waited until I'd done almost the whole room before mentioning it.

He says dont worry it will probably be fine. Like 15 times. Its too many times.

I google if theres some super special fixings that can fix into PIR insulation.

yeah. nah.

New plan.

So I have some left over metal sheet. I'll slide it inbetween unsupported joints and screw in little screws to sandwich it together.

Test bed seems good.

Hold it up and yeah, even just the screws in the PIR help a bit. Joint effort.

Oh yeah also the plasterers at this point are in the utility room and ask if i have any lights. Yeah mate i did. but you stole them. Lol its all very cordial and apologetic. So they turn back up with them a coupkle of days later

Yeah I had two small ones. now ive got one small one and one big one.

Despite having no lights, utility room looks good

Anyway where I havent finished the plasterboard yet, its easy enough to add my metal gently caress up connection inserts

Works great. so rigid. so hard

But every other joint is gonna be a ballache

Slide them in and screw up

Oh and blown up another jigsaw

https://i.imgur.com/Wv1ScDg.mp4

weird. Think I can get the ryobi one plus repaired under warranty but will take forever so buy another cheap one. Not as cheap as that blown up one

NotJustANumber99 fucked around with this message at 23:11 on Oct 6, 2023

goatface
Dec 5, 2007

I had a video of that when I was about 6.

I remember it being shit.

Grimey Drawer
You go through tools like a true professional.

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

hosed up the video like a tool. fixed

aniviron
Sep 11, 2014

Could always get that one repaired under warranty and then you'd have two jigsaws for when the other one blows up. And then get that one repaired so you will have it around for when the other one blows up again...

Ratjaculation
Aug 3, 2007

:parrot::parrot::parrot:

if this year has taught us anything, its that this device will definitely buckle under pressure

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

NotJustANumber99 posted:

I'll slide it inbetween unsupported joints and screw in little screws to sandwich it together

Good recovery. Do the screws you're using on the metal backing say fine or coarse thread?

NotJustANumber99
Feb 15, 2012

Horatius Bonar posted:

Good recovery. Do the screws you're using on the metal backing say fine or coarse thread?

An extra-deep insert bit recess delivers a firmer positive drive. Along with an incredibly sharp piercing point and coarse thread, you’ll be sure of a speedy insertion and improved holding power.

Horatius Bonar
Sep 8, 2011

Well before you get too far, I would suggest looking at getting fine thread screws for going into metal.

Vim Fuego
Jun 1, 2000

Ultra Carp

Horatius Bonar posted:

Well before you get too far, I would suggest looking at getting fine thread screws for going into metal.

The Plasterer posted:

He says dont worry it will probably be fine. Like 15 times. Its too many times.

someone tried to tell him to use fine thread

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

That's a pretty nice boat you've got going on. Plenty of room for cargo.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dead Goon
Dec 13, 2002

No Obvious Flaws

quote:

Cut the chatter, Red 2. Accelerate to attack speed.