Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Heffer
May 1, 2003

Residency Evil posted:

Lyft/Uber are also routinely used as “official” transportation for non-emergent medical transportation. We get give patients vouchers to use all the time.

Can't wait till a self driving car shows up to the ER with a dead body inside.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Scratch Monkey posted:

The future is a nightmare

It's pretty logical homie. No reason to go overkill for no reason.

Cugel the Clever
Apr 5, 2009
I LOVE AMERICA AND CAPITALISM DESPITE BEING POOR AS FUCK. I WILL NEVER RETIRE BUT HERE'S ANOTHER 200$ FOR UKRAINE, SLAVA

Pham Nuwen posted:

What do you do when it's inevitably stolen? Or do you live in some weird utopia where a bicycle can leave your line of sight for more than 2 minutes and still be there when you get back?
I live in an urban core and neither the acoustic nor electric have been stolen yet when I pop in to grab groceries. Helps to lock up properly, I guess :shrug:

Subjunctive
Sep 12, 2006

✨sparkle and shine✨

Heffer posted:

Not the ER, send it to Coyote Cojo so Mama Welles can arrange an ofrenda.

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!

Heffer posted:

All accounts must include next of kin information so they have somewhere to send the cleaning bill.

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

Pham Nuwen posted:

What do you do when it's inevitably stolen? Or do you live in some weird utopia where a bicycle can leave your line of sight for more than 2 minutes and still be there when you get back?

It occasionally makes me sad to remember that Amsterdam once tried to leave generic bikes freely available around the city and most of them just ended up in the canals.

Cacafuego
Jul 22, 2007

Boca Raton Man Sued By Amex, Owes $936,000 On Centurion Card

quote:

BOCA RATON, FL (BocaNewsNow.com) (Copyright © 2023 MetroDesk Media, LLC) — A Boca Raton Ophthalmologist allegedly owes American Express nearly $1M. Amex is now suing the man in Palm Beach County Circuit Court.

According to a complaint obtained by BocaNewsNow.com, Dr. Ronald Glatzer who lives in Woodfield Hunt Club owes American Express $934,455.92. The suit doesn’t state when Glatzer last paid, although a 45-cent credit is logged for August of 2023. Aside from that, there does not appear to be any payment activity of late.

American Express is suing Glatzer for “breach of contract.” The bank presumably wants its nearly one million dollars back. The minimum payment due on September 23, 2023 was $934,455.92. The total balance is listed as $936,247.66.

“The defendant subsequently defaulted on the terms and conditions of the account and the plaintiff accelerated the full balance due and owing on the account,” wrote attorneys for American Express — listed as Zwicker and Associates, P.C.

Probably don’t want to go to Dr. Debt for an eye surgery

Residency Evil
Jul 28, 2003

4/5 godo... Schumi

Baddog posted:

Hah, what's the markup on those vouchers for insurance billing?

Cacafuego posted:

We use a vendor that provides patients Uber/Lyft transport to/from research sites

Heffer posted:

Scratch Monkey posted:

The future is a nightmare

No idea what the vouchers are "worth." FWIW, it's for non-emergent thing like transportations to scheduled appointments, chemotherapy/radiation treatments, etc. It's for things were it might be totally appropriate to take an Uber, but the patient may not have the money to pay for it.

Gaius Marius posted:

It's pretty logical homie. No reason to go overkill for no reason.

Yeah it's this.

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

EMAIL... THE INTERNET... SEARCH ENGINES...

Residency Evil posted:

No idea what the vouchers are "worth." FWIW, it's for non-emergent thing like transportations to scheduled appointments, chemotherapy/radiation treatments, etc. It's for things were it might be totally appropriate to take an Uber, but the patient may not have the money to pay for it.

Yeah it's this.

It's an extension of reimbursement for paying for a taxi, except that taxi companies have largely been run into the dirt.

Cacafuego posted:

quote:

The suit doesn’t state when Glatzer last paid, although a 45-cent credit is logged for August of 2023.

I do, in fact, have to hand it to him for the chutzpah on that one.

Powerful Two-Hander
Mar 10, 2004

Mods please change my name to "Tooter Skeleton" TIA.

Cacafuego posted:

Honestly I hope they lose on the grounds of "why did you let this happen you absolute idiots".

Fil5000
Jun 23, 2003

HOLD ON GUYS I'M POSTING ABOUT INTERNET ROBOTS

Cacafuego posted:

Is it normal for this sort of thing to be a law suit instead of like... debt collection activity?

mrmcd
Feb 22, 2003

Pictured: The only good cop (a fictional one).

Fil5000 posted:

Is it normal for this sort of thing to be a law suit instead of like... debt collection activity?

For Amex on the highest end cards and this much money, yes. It's because they actually want their money.

For everyone else they sell it to debt collectors for pennies on the dollar who then harass the debtor and their families to cough up any money they can. The debt collectors rarely sue people except in hopes of a default judgement, because suing tens of thousands of people for $800 or whatever is way more time and money than the debt it worth, even if you have all your legal records squared away, which debt collectors do not.

Every now and then some Amex customer with a no limit card will do something very stupid and Amex will sue them. Sometimes there's a news article about it because of public court records and the situation is funny to gawk at. Years ago there was a black card guy who somehow charged like $200,000 at a strip club in a single night and then wouldn't pay. Amex brought in strippers to testify and security camera footage to show yes it was actually him.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

Boudoir Women's Mistrial: if he saw no tit, you must acquit!

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Busty Women, Magistrate: Can you point out the man who gave you the tip?

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

Pham Nuwen posted:

As someone who lives in a bike thief hotspot, I have one nice bike that's never locked up outside and an old 90s Diamondback covered in stickers for 'going out'. 15 years and nobody has ever bothered it.

Guest2553
Aug 3, 2012

I started doing like the dutch and making my bike look ugly (obvious but shallow scratches on frame, bad spraypaint job, etc ) after having a couple bikes stolen in college.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

This article starts off with a BWM classic, and then descends into the classic plutocrat BWM move (trying to cut out a trophy wife and becoming the target of her vengeance)...

New York Times posted:

The Inheritance Case That Could Unravel an Art Dynasty
How a widow’s legal fight against the Wildenstein family of France has threatened their storied collection — and revealed the underbelly of the global art market.

Twenty years ago, a glamorous platinum-blond widow arrived at the Paris law office of Claude Dumont Beghi in tears. Someone was trying to take her horses — her “babies” — away, and she needed a lawyer to stop them.

She explained that her late husband was a breeder of champion thoroughbreds. The couple was a familiar sight at the racetracks in Chantilly and Paris: Daniel Wildenstein, gray-suited with a cane in the stands, and Sylvia Roth Wildenstein, a former model with a cigarette dangling from her lips. They first met in 1964, while she was walking couture shows in Paris and he was languishing in a marriage of convenience to a woman from another wealthy Jewish family of art collectors. Daniel, 16 years Sylvia’s senior, already had two grown sons when they met, and he didn’t want more children. So over the next 40 years they spent together, Sylvia cared for the horses as if they were the children she never had. When Daniel died of cancer in 2001, he left her a small stable.

Then, one morning about a year later, Sylvia’s phone rang. It was her horse trainer calling to say that he had spotted something odd in the local racing paper, Paris Turf: The results of Sylvia’s stable were no longer listed under her name. The French journalist Magali Serre’s 2013 book “Les Wildenstein” recounts the scene in great detail: Sylvia ran to fetch her copy and flipped to the page. Sure enough, the stable of “Madame Wildenstein” had been replaced by “Dayton Limited,” an Irish company owned by her stepsons. That’s when she called Dumont Beghi.

To the lawyer’s surprise, Sylvia showed up to their meeting with no proof of ownership for the horses and no information on her late husband’s estate. “She didn’t have any — any — documents at all,” Dumont Beghi says. Sylvia mentioned that she signed some papers shortly after her husband’s death, but she didn’t know what they said, nor did she have copies. “I put that in the corner of my mind,” Dumont Beghi says.

[...]

Dumont Beghi recalls an almost instant kinship with Sylvia, who discovered that they were both Scorpios and lived in the same building complex in the posh 16th Arrondissement. After Dumont Beghi saved her horses, Sylvia trusted her completely, and she began to explain to Dumont Beghi the complexity of the situation. Daniel had fallen into a coma for 10 days before he died, and while he was under, his sons, Alec and Guy, showed up at the hospital along with lawyers from Switzerland, the United States and France. She recounted how, a few weeks after the funeral, her driver took her to the family’s 18th-century hôtel particulier, which housed an art research center, the Wildenstein Institute. Her stepsons told her she needed to hear something important. They had reviewed their father’s estate and discovered that he died in financial ruin. As his next of kin, Sylvia was about to inherit debts so large they would ruin her too.

Sylvia was stunned. She had never heard anything about money troubles from her husband. For 40 years, she had lived with chefs and chauffeurs, in at least five homes on three continents. But what did she know? She never signed the checks. Daniel, intellectual and rigid, ran the business, while Sylvia, who was light and cheerful, played the nurturer in the family. She was known to dote on Alec and Guy’s six children, whom she considered her grandkids. She trusted her stepsons completely, so when they told her that she must renounce her inheritance at once or face “catastrophe,” she didn’t blink. “I signed all the papers they presented to me. I signed, signed, signed” — even the ones written in Japanese, she later told Serre. They promised to take care of her financially and even offered to pay her 30,000 euros a month out of their own pockets. Sylvia was grateful.

But then, over the next few months, the reality of what she had done set in. Sylvia told Dumont Beghi how movers came to her apartment and took a beloved Pierre Bonnard painting off the wall. Then they came back for the furniture, because, she was told, it belonged to her husband’s business, which was now run by his sons. A letter came notifying her that Daniel’s 69 thoroughbreds were now owned by Guy and Alec’s stable. Her household staff stopped being paid. Soon, her stepsons told her she would have to move from her home on Avenue Montaigne to another apartment. (Alec died in 2008; Guy declined a request for an interview, though a representative answered some questions provided by The Times.)

[...]

First, she drew up a list of known assets, which soon zigzagged into a chart of far-flung bank accounts, trusts and shell corporations. Over the course of several years, she would fly around the world to tax havens and free ports, prying open the armored vaults and anonymous accounts that mask many of the high-end transactions in the $68 billion global art market. Multimillion-dollar paintings can anonymously trade hands without, for example, any of the requisite titles or deeds of real estate transactions or the public disclosures required on Wall Street. She would learn that the inscrutability of the trade has made it a leading conduit for sanction-evading oligarchs and other billionaires looking to launder excess capital. The Wildensteins were not just masters of this system — they helped pioneer it.

Over 150 years, the family has amassed an art collection estimated to be worth billions by quietly buying up troves of European masterpieces that would be at home in the Louvre or the Vatican, holding their stock for generations and never revealing what they own. When Sylvia realized the magnitude of her stepsons’ deception, she devoted the rest of her life to unraveling the family’s financial machinations, and even left a will asking that Dumont Beghi continue her fight from beyond the grave.

[...]

Now, more than a decade after Sylvia’s death, their efforts have landed the Wildensteins before France’s highest court. The evidence she and Dumont Beghi brought forth has persuaded prosecutors that the Wildensteins are a criminal enterprise, responsible for operating, as a prosecutor for the state once put it, “the longest and the most sophisticated tax fraud” in modern French history.

A trial this September will determine if the family and their associates owe a gargantuan tax bill. The last time prosecutors went after the Wildensteins, several years ago, they sought €866 million — €616 million in back taxes and a €250 million fine, as well as jail time for Guy. The consequences could do more than topple the family’s art empire. The case has provided an unusual view of how the ultrawealthy use the art market to evade taxes, and sometimes worse. Agents raiding Wildenstein vaults have turned up artworks long reported as missing, which fueled speculation that the family may have owned Nazi-looted or otherwise stolen art, and spurred a number of other lawsuits against the family in recent years. Financial distortions have saved the family hundreds of millions of dollars, prosecutors allege, but their treatment of Sylvia could cost them far more — and perhaps lead to the unraveling of their dynasty.

They should have just let her have her horses...

Pham Nuwen
Oct 30, 2010

AreWeDrunkYet posted:

It occasionally makes me sad to remember that Amsterdam once tried to leave generic bikes freely available around the city and most of them just ended up in the canals.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FHQ9EbWh0K0&t=701s

Raskolnikov2089
Nov 3, 2006

Schizzy to the matic

I'm always conflicted with these stories. On the one hand, these people are so rich they will never see true justice. On the other, it's always rich to me how much additional suffering they bring upon themselves because they're unwilling to part with the pittance that a close friend/family member is entitled to. The ex-wives and widows were already robbed of their due, but they couldn't even pay out the barest sum they offered them while they were robbing them. A sum that would not have affected their lifestyle in the least.

I just don't get that mindset. If I had uncounted billions I'd be living on my private Hawaiian island flying in my favorite musicians for private concerts/coke snorting sessions. These people are so fundamentally broken that they spend their every waking moment fighting amonst themselves to cheat loved ones out of every penny they can.

bob dobbs is dead
Oct 8, 2017

I love peeps
Nap Ghost
thats just how divorce is for nutjobs and assholes. its just that other stuff if you're a plute rear end in a top hat doesnt scale to your wealth

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost
Being able to be sated and being a plutocrat are mutually incompatible. They're like how retrievers have that genetic issue where they're never not hungry and can potentially eat themselves to death; they have to get every little last thing for themselves, they constitutionally cannot allow something to escape their grasp if they can possess it

Sloppy
Apr 25, 2003

Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it we go nowhere.

DarkHorse posted:

Being able to be sated and being a plutocrat are mutually incompatible. They're like how retrievers have that genetic issue where they're never not hungry and can potentially eat themselves to death; they have to get every little last thing for themselves, they constitutionally cannot allow something to escape their grasp if they can possess it

An architect I worked for liked to tell the story about the local land baron who was his client on countless commercial projects (the dude owns a huge chunk of the commercial property in town). After years of helping this guy make money hand over fist, one of his underlings convinced him to have a little thank you party for all the people that had helped him over the years. He grudgingly agreed...then served hot dogs and water.

That people like that can not only survive, but thrive in our society is a testament to our fuckedness. In a just world the whole party would have stomped his rear end.

LanceHunter
Nov 12, 2016

Beautiful People Club

I know we love to see the rich as somehow inhuman, but I'd say the desire to cut out a second wife (particularly a second wife of the trophy variety) is an impulse that is far more common than people outside that situation may realize. A friend of mine met her (wealthy, but not nearly plute-level) husband when she was working as an exotic dancer. His kids from his first marriage deeply hate her, despite all attempts she has made over many years to be kind to them. He has had to work on specific financial situations to make sure that when he eventually dies, his kids won't be able to find a way to steal all the inheritance and leave her destitute.

I think it's a common situation due to a combination of the kids often living with/having a closer connection to their mother (who is probably insulted by any implication that the husband may have "traded up"), feeling like the new wife is only in it for the money, and the general cultural weirdness drilled into kids about "wicked step-mothers".

The fact that these kids happened to ride the hatred of their step-mother into the unravelling of one of the world's biggest tax-cheating empires is hilarious, though.

Ham Equity
Apr 16, 2013

The first thing we do, let's kill all the cars.
Grimey Drawer

DarkHorse posted:

Let's not kid ourselves about the "heroine" of this story, either. She spent a couple of decades hunting down assets to gently caress over her stepchildren because they tried (and failed) to take away her horses.

As much as the story tries to paint her as some kind of moral paragon, she sure as poo poo didn't start giving a flying gently caress about all the tax fraud going on until she was no longer the beneficiary of it.

Scratch Monkey
Oct 25, 2010

👰Proč bychom se netěšili🥰když nám Pán Bůh🙌🏻zdraví dá💪?
also one of her step-children (in law) is cat woman Jocelyn Wildenstein

rjmccall
Sep 7, 2007

no worries friend
Fun Shoe

LanceHunter posted:

I think it's a common situation due to a combination of the kids often living with/having a closer connection to their mother (who is probably insulted by any implication that the husband may have "traded up"), feeling like the new wife is only in it for the money, and the general cultural weirdness drilled into kids about "wicked step-mothers".

Note that the woman in this story met her future husband while he was “languishing in a marriage of convenience”, which is to say that she had an affair with a married man (with kids!) and played an active role in breaking up his marriage. Maybe the marriage was doomed anyway — and we definitely shouldn’t put more blame on this woman than we do the husband — but I can understand the kids not liking the future wife. (Hopefully the story with your friend is different.)

Now you’d think that maybe they’d come to terms with it over time, at least enough not to try to cheat an old woman out of her inheritance who apparently made their father happy for most of his life, but a lot of people turn into petty little shits the second they feel like they’re justified in disliking someone.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
And ten times more so when money is on the line.

PurpleXVI
Oct 30, 2011

Spewing insults, pissing off all your neighbors, betraying your allies, backing out of treaties and accords, and generally screwing over the global environment?
ALL PART OF MY BRILLIANT STRATEGY!

DarkHorse posted:

You do not become or remain an insanely rich person without being fundamentally an insanely greedy rear end in a top hat.

Cerekk
Sep 24, 2004

Oh my god, JC!

PurpleXVI posted:

You do not become or remain an insanely rich person without being fundamentally an insanely greedy rear end in a top hat.

Not true, you could also divorce Jeff Bezos

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Cerekk posted:

Not true, you could also divorce Jeff Bezos

That's where the "remain" comes into play

Though given the nature of billions of dollars it still takes a long time to spend that down. One of my favorite exercises working with unit conversions to give my students is to work out how long it takes to spend one billion dollars when you're buying a $300,000 Lamborghini, driving it for a week, and pushing it off a cliff when you buy a new one the next. Ignoring interest and such, of course.

If you start when you're 16 you run out of money in your 80's

Edit: MacKenzie Scott is apparently worth $34 billion. Bezos $150 billion

DarkHorse fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 6, 2023

evilweasel
Aug 24, 2002

DarkHorse posted:

That's where the "remain" comes into play

Though given the nature of billions of dollars it still takes a long time to spend that down. One of my favorite exercises working with unit conversions to give my students is to work out how long it takes to spend one billion dollars when you're buying a $300,000 Lamborghini, driving it for a week, and pushing it off a cliff when you buy a new one the next. Ignoring interest and such, of course.

If you start when you're 16 you run out of money in your 80's

Edit: MacKenzie Scott is apparently worth $34 billion. Bezos $150 billion

I bet if you include interest you never run out.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

evilweasel posted:

If you assume your billion dollars of capital is drawing 4% annual interest, you can push two Lamborghinis off a cliff per week and your capital would still be growing.

Put another way, you could give 6 different people $100,000 each every week, with $150,000 per week left over for your own expenses, and still be growing your capital. The interest is pulling in $769K per week.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

evilweasel posted:

I bet so too but you've got to account for inflation too and I could never been arsed enough to bother

Eric the Mauve posted:

If you assume your billion dollars of capital is drawing 4% annual interest, you can push two Lamborghinis off a cliff per week and your capital would still be growing.

Put another way, you could give 6 different people $100,000 each every week, with $150,000 per week left over for your own expenses, and still be growing your capital. The interest is pulling in $769K per week.
If we assume 4% return and 3% inflation (so an effective return of 1%) that's $10 million a year or $192,300 a week. If the cost of the car matches inflation you're basically drawing down only $107,700 a week, so yeah you're not running out of money in a human lifetime

GoGoGadgetChris
Mar 18, 2010

i powder a
granite monument
in a soundless flash

showering the grass
with molten drops of
its gold inlay

sending smoking
chips of stone
skipping into the fog
If I'm a billionaire and my guys are getting me 1% real a year I'm having them fed to sharks

For real though I think "married to a billionaire" might be the one form of labor that actually deserves 10 figures

AreWeDrunkYet
Jul 8, 2006
Probation
Can't post for 6 days!

GoGoGadgetChris posted:

If I'm a billionaire and my guys are getting me 1% real a year I'm having them fed to sharks

yup, it's another sneaky source of wealth inequality

Baddog
May 12, 2001

DarkHorse posted:

I bet so too but you've got to account for inflation too and I could never been arsed enough to bother

If we assume 4% return and 3% inflation (so an effective return of 1%) that's $10 million a year or $192,300 a week. If the cost of the car matches inflation you're basically drawing down only $107,700 a week, so yeah you're not running out of money in a human lifetime

You should definitely have the follow-up question "if you figure 3% real return (over inflation) how many lambos a week could you push off a cliff, without ever cutting into your principal?"

Or maybe just "if you're a billionaire, how much do you have to earn over inflation to be able to push a lambo off a cliff every single day of the year in perpetuity"

Baddog fucked around with this message at 01:16 on Oct 7, 2023

Spokes
Jan 9, 2010

Thanks for a MONSTER of an avatar, Awful Survivor Mods!

Baddog posted:

You should definitely have the follow-up question "if you figure 3% real return (over inflation) how many lambos a week could you push off a cliff"

Say a direct copy of the lambo nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of lambos and takes the place of the first lambo.

dpkg chopra
Jun 9, 2007

Fast Food Fight

Grimey Drawer
Johnny Five Lambos

Volmarias
Dec 31, 2002

Spokes posted:

Say a direct copy of the lambo nearest the cliff is sent to the back of the line of lambos and takes the place of the first lambo.

Macroeconomics works the same way.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ghost Leviathan
Mar 2, 2017

Exploration is ill-advised.

bob dobbs is dead posted:

thats just how divorce is for nutjobs and assholes. its just that other stuff if you're a plute rear end in a top hat doesnt scale to your wealth

I find it an amusing comparison to previously mentioned inheritance shenanigans on the complete opposite end of the financial scale where someone who dies without a pot to piss in will have relatives clawing each others' eyes out over the ownership of a nonexistent pot, because they have to Get What's Owed To Them.