Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

The Chairman
Jun 30, 2003

But you forget, mon ami, that there is evil everywhere under the sun
I made a spool winder and use it to transfer new carboard-spooled filament to old plastic spools.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

snail posted:

I've also remounted Polymaker centers on the Bambu reels by tearing the sides off. Make sure you write on it somewhere what it is if you put it back into storage.

This is what I do with all of them. The printed rings don't work for me.

Also maybe don't buy Polymaker, they're in bed with fascist influencer types. Pick something else.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

I'm extremely happy with my iiidmax stuff

Zorro KingOfEngland
May 7, 2008

I have some rolls of that new slant3d stuff coming in the mail next week. Hoping it turns out to be quality like they claim.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Hm, previously I've made and printed extension legs for stuff like my dining table, but I've been looking at getting a new sofa after I move, and if I can print some 5-6cm legs for it, I could use those big under-bed-storage drawers without much hassle.
(A couple of the sofas I've been considering have ~15cm of clearance from the floor, if you take one with long legs. But a lot of under-bed-rollers are 18-21cm with wheels.)

Does anyone think there'd be any specific issue with this, on a sofa? PETG or PLA with high infill, lots of walls, and the sofas I've been considering have had 8 legs, so we'd be talking like 40-50kg compression load with a fully packed sofa.
With shelves and tables I haven't been worried, but there is a lot of force involved in a person flopping down on a sofa, not to mention hours of extra force deforming it over time. But it'd also have enough infill that it'd basically be just a solid block of plastic.
The main worry is if one cracks or deforms, it'd have the entire sofa deforming as that one point starts sagging. (I guess one option could be to for example cast some legs from epoxy resin, since those are pretty goddamn strong, still have some lying around too.)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 14:43 on Oct 7, 2023

Neo Rasa
Mar 8, 2007
Everyone should play DUKE games.

:dukedog:

tracecomplete posted:

Also maybe don't buy Polymaker, they're in bed with fascist influencer types. Pick something else.

I like Overture because it's the exact same product as Polymaker but from one of the previous owners from several years ago doing their own thing.

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
A few pages ago I was squishing PLA stamps into leather in a shop vise. When solid it can handle compression reasonably well, apparently

*Obligatory comment that sawing up a cheap piece of wood almost certainly would accomplish the same couch lifting goal in 1% of the time of modeling and printing parts of the size and solidity you'd want to put weight on it.

if you're aware of the other options and specifically want to print a couch lift kit, I support that decision and want to see the results. I believe it would be doable but have to be 99% infill or something and would be a long expensive (in filament meter terms) print

Javid fucked around with this message at 15:04 on Oct 7, 2023

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

Looks like 8 legs, 99% infill, would be a 12 hour print total, for 8 5x5cm cylinder legs (And 1kg-ish of filament.) (Estimated 120g/leg, though probably more with a design that cradles the sofa leg instead of just being a basic cylinder.)
So print time and cost wise it wouldn't be particularly bad, it would be like ~20-30usd material wise, compared to 5-10.

But it would look a lot better than just a sawn off piece of wood under the sofa legs, atleast. (If I had some woodworking tools to chop up some wood, make an indent for the legs, and make the end product nice I'd go that route, absolutely.)
Strengthwise I'm wondering if I'd be better off just printing molds with PLA, then casting epoxy resin into that, but that'd be even more expensive. (And hella slow, would have to do a bunch of pours to avoid melting and deforming the mold.)

(The easiest solution is just to find some other storage solution I can have under the 15cm clearance sofas, though.)

e: I guess a 50/50 solution could be to print the feet without a top, and use a low rate of infill that allows liquids through, like gyroid, and fill the interior with resin. Though that still hits the 'cast multiple times' or 'might melt the leg' issues.
That'd give a printed structure + exterior, and a strong as all hell resin/epoxy interior. (But is essentially as expensive as just resincasting it.)

SubNat fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 7, 2023

Fanged Lawn Wormy
Jan 4, 2008

SQUEAK! SQUEAK! SQUEAK!

The Chairman posted:

I made a spool winder and use it to transfer new carboard-spooled filament to old plastic spools.

Oh no, buddy, if you’re doing that, your filament is running backwards. The polarization of the nano particles will be all off and you’re bound to have a nozzle jam!!!

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

tracecomplete posted:

What is this about fascist influencer types?

RabbitWizard
Oct 21, 2008

Muldoon

SubNat posted:

PETG or PLA
I'd go with PLA. PETG is too bendy.

SubNat posted:

Looks like 8 legs, 99% infill, would be a 12 hour print total, for 8 5x5cm cylinder legs (And 1kg-ish of filament.) (Estimated 120g/leg, though probably more with a design that cradles the sofa leg instead of just being a basic cylinder.)
I recently printed a few parts with 30% grid infill, solid infill every 11 layers and they are incredibly strong, I really don't think you need to go solid. (If the z-axis of the print is the z-axis irl of course, otherwise grid infill would have way less strength). Give something like 40% grid/solid infill every 7th layer a try if you have the time for a test, should save like half of the time/filament.

armorer
Aug 6, 2012

I like metal.

RabbitWizard posted:

I'd go with PLA. PETG is too bendy.

I recently printed a few parts with 30% grid infill, solid infill every 11 layers and they are incredibly strong, I really don't think you need to go solid. (If the z-axis of the print is the z-axis irl of course, otherwise grid infill would have way less strength). Give something like 40% grid/solid infill every 7th layer a try if you have the time for a test, should save like half of the time/filament.

I was going to say this basically. Increase wall/top/bottom layer count and go with a lower infill like 50% max. I think it's extremely rare that 99% infil is needed

Edit: you can also set the infill wall thickness, which would potentially make grid infill a lot stronger.

SubNat
Nov 27, 2008

I guess honeycomb infill might also be stronger for top-down/z compression than grid or rectilinear? It is one of the few types of infill where you get 1:1 overlap between each layer after all.
With a couple of the others you only get that right at the crossing points as they crisscross.

But yeah, time isn't a huge constraint, I'll be grabbing the sofa and stuff in december, so plenty of time to try things out.

AlexDeGruven
Jun 29, 2007

Watch me pull my dongle out of this tiny box

Fanged Lawn Wormy posted:

Oh no, buddy, if you’re doing that, your filament is running backwards. The polarization of the nano particles will be all off and you’re bound to have a nozzle jam!!!

Ridicule Audiophiles is leaking in.

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

The 3D printing community is ripe for someone to come in and say their $300 damper pucks will reduce imperfections when attached to any bed plate

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

Tiny Timbs posted:

The 3D printing community is ripe for someone to come in and say their $300 damper pucks will reduce imperfections when attached to any bed plate

I've seen a guy on Printables advertising his specially designed spring-style feet for the MK3S+ and everyone is just like "but why not just go to Home Depot and buy a $2 paver?"

NewFatMike
Jun 11, 2015

Tiny Timbs posted:

Stratasys looking rear end product. I think they charge something like $50k for an open materials license for the Origin One DLP resin printer.

Sagebrush
Feb 26, 2012

Macichne Leainig posted:

I've seen a guy on Printables advertising his specially designed spring-style feet for the MK3S+ and everyone is just like "but why not just go to Home Depot and buy a $2 paver?"

because the pavers are now like 5 dollars. thanks brandon!!!!!!!!!!!1

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
Offcuts from stone countertops work also if you know anyone remodeling.

Tsietisin
Jul 2, 2004

Time passes quickly on the weekend.

I have what in the grand scheme of things is such a minor issue, but I'm wondering if anyone might know why something is happening.

Using an Ender 3 v2. Cura 5.4. PLA

They are difficult to see in the picture, but on all three of these jars there is this slightly darker oval shape. Does anyone know what might be causing it?

It's the same shape and size and in the same position on all three jars. Structurally they are perfect and the print is great, there is just this weird discoloration.

Any thoughts,?

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008

Tsietisin posted:

is just this weird discoloration.

Any thoughts,?

Open your slicer and look at the generated gcode for that section. Cheap speed/flow/etc and you will see the printer is doing something different there

Some combination of slower/faster speed then the other section is causing it to move faster/slower and it's getting hotter/colder then the other parts. Or there is a different flow there. The slicer output tells all

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Speaking of pavers, are there any X1C purge bucket designs that can still catch stuff with the extra height? I don’t have any magnets to try the ones that attach to the back of the printer.

mattfl
Aug 27, 2004

Tiny Timbs posted:

Speaking of pavers, are there any X1C purge bucket designs that can still catch stuff with the extra height? I don’t have any magnets to try the ones that attach to the back of the printer.

Yeah, there are a few that specifically have paver in their name. Lemme see if I can find the one I printed.

Edit: ok can’t find the exact one I printed but this one calls out being made for a paver

https://www.printables.com/model/573551-filament-poop-bucket-riser

mattfl fucked around with this message at 21:14 on Oct 7, 2023

w00tmonger
Mar 9, 2011

F-F-FRIDAY NIGHT MOTHERFUCKERS

queeb posted:

I'm extremely happy with my iiidmax stuff

You drove down to the border for this right?

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

tracecomplete posted:

It may have been you that mentioned this previously. I asked whoever it was and never got a reply with more detail.

I must be using the wrong search terms because I could only find one YouTuber who was printing some gun bits. Not saying it's not the case, but I haven't managed to find the facist connection.

I've been trying out Siddament here in Australia. Half the price of Polymaker, quality is as good, they have a page sharing production issues, and a good range. Sometimes they have delays on stock although they're very up front about that. Business ethics seems to be something they do care about.

ilkhan
Oct 7, 2004

I LOVE Musk and his pro-first-amendment ways. X is the future.

w00tmonger posted:

They did at least once, if not a couple times already. Queebs business seems to be booming.

Aside from a roll with a couple tangles I've been happy with my IIID stuff too.

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

w00tmonger posted:

Yeah brought 30 rolls of iiidmax back across and 20 jugs of jayo abs, came to like $14/roll

I go once every 2 weeks now or so and load up, I basically get pulled over and searched every time coming back into Canada lol,

And yeah things be nuts, I'm hoping to start doing trade shows and stuff next year, really start pushing my brand and website.

queeb fucked around with this message at 22:53 on Oct 7, 2023

Macichne Leainig
Jul 26, 2012

by VG

snail posted:

It may have been you that mentioned this previously. I asked whoever it was and never got a reply with more detail.

I must be using the wrong search terms because I could only find one YouTuber who was printing some gun bits. Not saying it's not the case, but I haven't managed to find the facist connection.

Yeah I can't find anything about this either? Not even any controversy with supporting any specific users. The guy who 3D prints gun parts is about the only "influencer" connection I can find and I'd be hard pressed to call him a fascist from what I have seen about the content he puts out.

Fake edit

tracecomplete posted:

Reminder that Polymaker goes out of its way to sponsor gun-printing weirdos with hard-right fanbases. Which is a shame, because a lot of their stuff is really good, but gently caress that noise. I don't know of eSun platforming chuds, at least.

Yeah it's literally because they support that one guy? I have moral qualms about 3D printing gun parts myself but this seems like an extreme take

Macichne Leainig fucked around with this message at 23:01 on Oct 7, 2023

tater_salad
Sep 15, 2007

queeb posted:

Yeah brought 30 rolls of iiidmax back across and 20 jugs of jayo abs, came to like $14/roll

I go once every 2 weeks now or so and load up, I basically get pulled over and searched every time coming back into Canada lol,

And yeah things be nuts, I'm hoping to start doing trade shows and stuff next year, really start pushing my brand and website.

where are you buying this in the US and A or are you using a mailbox? I'd love to just walk into a place and get some iiid max

queeb
Jun 10, 2004

m

tater_salad posted:

where are you buying this in the US and A or are you using a mailbox? I'd love to just walk into a place and get some iiid max

Nah I'm using a delivery place there, 5 bucks a box, have it all delivered there and then drive across and get it

Bondematt
Jan 26, 2007

Not too stupid
Who is the one guy, 3d Print General?

What are they ever sponsoring at this point? The jerks channel was deleted like a week ago for obvious reasons and he's somehow gotten seemingly decent people to vouch for him.

Here4DaGangBang
Dec 3, 2004

I beat my dick like it owes me money!

snail posted:

I've been trying out Siddament here in Australia. Half the price of Polymaker, quality is as good, they have a page sharing production issues, and a good range. Sometimes they have delays on stock although they're very up front about that. Business ethics seems to be something they do care about.

Good to know, I’ve been buying from 3DFillies up till now but have just been wondering what other options of high quality there are so I can see if something else out there works well at a reasonable price.

Garcin
Jun 15, 2000
I have a preorder for an Anycubic Kobra 2 Max being fulfilled pretty soon, along with a boatload of their 5kg white high speed PLA. I want to print a full-sized T-Rex skull from topgunsi, then a baby t-rex skeleton, finally a t-rex head that I have someone that will airbrush it for me.

I started 3-d printing eons ago, and while I love the results of my bedslingers, I just don't want to go through the process again. Ever. Bambu and corexy have spoiled me forever with 3d printing. After I am done with my three projects, I am going to light the loving thing on fire and bash it with a baseball bat.

PC LOAD LETTER!!! !!! !!! !!!!!!!!

snail
Sep 25, 2008

CHEESE!

Here4DaGangBang posted:

Good to know, I’ve been buying from 3DFillies up till now but have just been wondering what other options of high quality there are so I can see if something else out there works well at a reasonable price.

My first order was some ABS, some PETG and some PLA. Ran all three through my Bambu without any issue and I was happy with the resulting prints. Various friends have been running them through Ender 3s, Vorons and other Bambus, and they're all happy too. And they're not hiding if there's a problem with the material, https://siddament.com.au/pages/transparency

When my infini-roll of 3DFillies ABS finally ran out, the price of the Siddament was so attractive it was hard to say no.

Roundboy
Oct 21, 2008
I love my pollyerra but I now have at least A 1/4 roll wasted in the voron because printing temps are not working out vs other things.

I'm moving that roll back to the bambu/ ender and throwing more hatchbox/inland back in again.

Very frustrating

Deviant
Sep 26, 2003

i've forgotten all of your names.

which gun weirdo does polymaker support im confused

print shoot repeat is who i want to be when i grow up so he had better not suck

ImplicitAssembler
Jan 24, 2013

Ok, I'm impressed: Bambu PA-CF with default "strength" settings. (0.2mm layer height).

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Neo Rasa posted:

I like Overture because it's the exact same product as Polymaker but from one of the previous owners from several years ago doing their own thing.

I don't think it's exactly the same, but I do quite like Overture. Their PETG has a matte quality I haven't found elsewhere; their matte PLA doesn't quite feel like PolyTerra but is in the ballpark.

Macichne Leainig posted:

What is this about fascist influencer types?

Polymaker sells a lot of PA6, and 3D printed gun chuds buy a lot of it. I have no real issues with firearms, but 3D printed gun people have a bunch of other insane overlaps.

The primary dipshit in question, "The 3D Print General", got demonetized on YouTube for playing real close to the "hey don't make guns on your channel" rules. Polymaker rushed in to sponsor his videos immediately thereafter, and the guy got banned from all of YouTube within a week because he was apparently breaking the rules with a second channel. So Polymaker is now sponsoring a guy who is going to be taking his talents to Rumble, which is chud central to the degree that it literally hosts Truth Social.

Macichne Leainig posted:

Yeah it's literally because they support that one guy? I have moral qualms about 3D printing gun parts myself but this seems like an extreme take

Both he and Loyal Moses (the other guy who has an "influencer spool" on their site) are both hard-right shitheads who pal around with people like Brandon Herrera. Like, at some point the dog whistle reaches the audible spectrum.

Nicolas from Polymaker has dismissed this when I brought it to him directly (we share a couple of Discords), so he, and Polymaker, can pound sand.

tracecomplete fucked around with this message at 02:12 on Oct 8, 2023

Javid
Oct 21, 2004

:jpmf:
That sounds like exactly how you drive a random hobbyist into the arms of the far right, yeah.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

tracecomplete
Feb 26, 2017

Pretty much. It's sufficiently deniable--Who Could Foresee that when you start following them the recommendation engines start feeding you the uncut stuff?

(In brighter news, the guy who got banned is pissing and making GBS threads himself and threatening to sue YouTube, so that's fun.)