Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Barreft
Jul 21, 2014

Also thinking about it, I'd rather all the time, effort, CGI etc be put into Rhuidean, the Aiel, and Battle of Emonds Field anyway

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

ChubbyChecker
Mar 25, 2018

Barreft posted:

I don't think there's any way they can make actual snake and fox people for it :/ Loial alone is passable, but I think it's mostly the actor's charm allowing the weird everything else to be ignored.

loial looks like poo poo

even like just star trek style rubber foreheads and noses would work for the 'finns

Joementum posted:

This also solves the problem of having Lanfear potentially disappear for a few seasons by just not having her disappear instead.

yeah

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Data Graham posted:

She was a web developer back in the age

Could have sworn that she was a banker. talk about a villain.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Also I don't think that a dagger tied to a stick is going to replace the power wraught weapon.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Shageletic posted:

Could have sworn that she was a banker. talk about a villain.

Worse. She was middle management, Master of Business Aes Sedai.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

NinjaDebugger posted:

Worse. She was middle management, Master of Business Aes Sedai.

Haha. Awesome. HR person from hell

lamentable dustman
Apr 13, 2007

🏆🏆🏆

rewatched the final, not enough love for Fain's quality 'oh poo poo, time to scram!'

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Loial looks fine.

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Everybody wants to be a cat~
~Because a cat's the only cat~
~Who knows where its at~

Invalid Validation posted:

Lanfear being intimidated by Moggy is comical.

nine-gear crow posted:

I think it was more fear of what she represented: all six of them are free now, all at once, and they're all pissed at her as a common foe now. She flat out says to Moggy "You don't want to fight me, honey." She thinks Moggy's beneath her, but all six of them working against her, together or apart, is a pants making GBS threads prospect for her.

The terrible, immortal DAUGHTER OF THE NIGHT who effortlessly skinned people alive, cut off heads, laid waste to a town, chumped the Amerlyn Seat and didn't fear Machin Shin met a new Forsaken, was obviously afraid of her, tried to cover that fear with bravado, and was laughed at when she resorted to threats. That's actually really cool. The idea that if they both did Kamehamehas at each other in an open field Lanfear's would be way bigger because she's 6 Channeler Levels stronger is what's comical.

The narrative utility of powers levels is to act as an obstacle to be overcome, either by cleverness or willpower, or a comeuppance for hubris: Nyaeneve realizing a Forsaken wasn't actually toying with her and they were equally strong despite how intimidated she was, Lanfear meeting Alivia and literally refused to believe a woman stronger than her could exist, Cadsuane using all her little ter'angreals to outplay far stronger channelers, Egwene giving her life to bridge the gap between her and Taim.

Even if we knew for a fact that Lanfear is far stronger than Moghedian in a strait fight, which we don't from the text the show presents, the takeaway from the scene should be that Lanfear, who has never been caught off guard or threatened by anything, was caught off guard AND threatened by this woman being in that room. She's dangerous in a way literally nothing else in the show has been dangerous. In fact, Mogh's dialogue directly comments on the idea that Lanfear used to look down on her and mock her. She's the one laughing now. Who cares about Power Scaling when you have that kind of drama?

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

If power levels dont matter then why is Ishy the right hand? Lanfear wants to become the creator and will do anything it takes to achieve it. Moggy is the spider because she cant take any other forsaken head on which is why its weird Lanfear would be intimidated since it doesnt seem like she can die anyways. Its all kinda moot since the show just does what it wants.

eke out
Feb 24, 2013

she's not taking her head on, lanfear has literally walked into her web!

rafe should've had lanfear say "wow i could have won in a fair fight but i was caught off guard when i walked into her trap" while looking directly into the camera

eke out fucked around with this message at 04:59 on Oct 8, 2023

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Invalid Validation posted:

If power levels dont matter then why is Ishy the right hand?

Because he is a philosopher nihilist and he truly believes in the Dark One's cause in a way nobody else among the Forsaken does. That's why he was The Betrayer of Hope. His power is barely relevant.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

Moggy woke up ten minutes ago along with the rest of the most dysfunctional narcissists in history. Its amazing that the recently awoken forsaken didn't manage to tie each other's shoelaces together to such an extent that Lanfear didn't walk into a forsaken rat king. Lanfear has been free for months and is a heavyweight to Moggy's middleweight if book strength levels are preserved. If she should be afraid of anything its that there are another 5 of them ready to come out of the woodwork but that would mean cooperation which is impossible. The show doesn't have much in the way of power levels, it would require some kind of consistency.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Sanguinia posted:

The terrible, immortal DAUGHTER OF THE NIGHT who effortlessly skinned people alive, cut off heads, laid waste to a town, chumped the Amerlyn Seat and didn't fear Machin Shin met a new Forsaken, was obviously afraid of her, tried to cover that fear with bravado, and was laughed at when she resorted to threats. That's actually really cool. The idea that if they both did Kamehamehas at each other in an open field Lanfear's would be way bigger because she's 6 Channeler Levels stronger is what's comical.

The narrative utility of powers levels is to act as an obstacle to be overcome, either by cleverness or willpower, or a comeuppance for hubris: Nyaeneve realizing a Forsaken wasn't actually toying with her and they were equally strong despite how intimidated she was, Lanfear meeting Alivia and literally refused to believe a woman stronger than her could exist, Cadsuane using all her little ter'angreals to outplay far stronger channelers, Egwene giving her life to bridge the gap between her and Taim.

Even if we knew for a fact that Lanfear is far stronger than Moghedian in a strait fight, which we don't from the text the show presents, the takeaway from the scene should be that Lanfear, who has never been caught off guard or threatened by anything, was caught off guard AND threatened by this woman being in that room. She's dangerous in a way literally nothing else in the show has been dangerous. In fact, Mogh's dialogue directly comments on the idea that Lanfear used to look down on her and mock her. She's the one laughing now. Who cares about Power Scaling when you have that kind of drama?

Related to that, her presentation so far gives me high hopes for her whole arc with Nynaeve. She's scary in a way that will make Nynaeve/Elayne having her as an enemy seem extremely dangerous, and Nynaeve first matching a Forsaken strength for strength and later trapping her as big establishing victories.

Pleads
Jun 9, 2005

pew pew pew

Killer robot posted:

Related to that, her presentation so far gives me high hopes for her whole arc with Nynaeve. She's scary in a way that will make Nynaeve/Elayne having her as an enemy seem extremely dangerous, and Nynaeve first matching a Forsaken strength for strength and later trapping her as big establishing victories.

"Nynaeve your lady servant with the necklace is fuckin weird."

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
High Praise from David Gaider, creator of the Dragon Age series.

https://twitter.com/davidgaider/status/1710766674394362326?s=46

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

eke out posted:

she's not taking her head on, lanfear has literally walked into her web!

rafe should've had lanfear say "wow i could have won in a fair fight but i was caught off guard when i walked into her trap" while looking directly into the camera

"You might say, I've caught you in my WEB. Said the spider to the fly, the fly being you."

Sanguinia
Jan 1, 2012

~Who knows where its at~

Killer robot posted:

One of my top five wants from a WoT TV show since I was in Elementary School is that moment when Nyn and Mogh both walk into that room in the museum, instantly try to sever each other, are using all their strength in epic psychic combat as sweat pours down their brows... and then like, the camera cuts to a guy pushing a broom on the other side of a doorway who doesn't even notice them because without channeling its just two women standing stock still staring at each other in a silent room.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Goofballs posted:

Moggy woke up ten minutes ago along with the rest of the most dysfunctional narcissists in history. Its amazing that the recently awoken forsaken didn't manage to tie each other's shoelaces together to such an extent that Lanfear didn't walk into a forsaken rat king. Lanfear has been free for months and is a heavyweight to Moggy's middleweight if book strength levels are preserved. If she should be afraid of anything its that there are another 5 of them ready to come out of the woodwork but that would mean cooperation which is impossible. The show doesn't have much in the way of power levels, it would require some kind of consistency.

I always enjoy people talking about book power levels, while ignoring all those other pesky book details like how moggy's whole thing is setting traps for people.

dwarf74
Sep 2, 2012

Buglord
Holy gently caress, I just watched the finale and, okay Amazon, you win, give me season fuckin 3 already

gently caress me. That was fuckin great. I love what they're doing with the show and where they're taking it.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

CainFortea posted:

I always enjoy people talking about book power levels, while ignoring all those other pesky book details like how moggy's whole thing is setting traps for people.

And how it's a repeated thing that even to modern Aes Sedai setting traps with the Power is common, effective, and really dangerous to the unwary. And you don't need deep book knowledge at all to know that Lanfear walked into that room in fresh confidence that she was the only properly trained channeler remaining in the world and had nothing and no one to fear.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

CainFortea posted:

The trap of sitting in a room, very mysterious

Grundulum
Feb 28, 2006
Wasnt Moghediens web razor-sharp? Didnt we see a cut on Lanfears hand where she touched one of the strands? If I walked into a room and found myself surrounded by that, and the trapping party had already squeezed tight enough that I couldnt move, and I knew that the trapping party would be able to see/react to any action made to free myself, I would also be on my best behavior regardless of what the power difference might be in a straight up fight.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

That would be really scary if Lanfear didn't know how to channel and wasn't stronger than her or if Moggy had done anything to gain an advantage beyond being unexpected. She's literally sitting in plain view to anyone walking through the door, its not like she clubbed Lanfear in the back of the head as she walked through the door. That would actually be a trap

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 07:34 on Oct 8, 2023

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Sanguinia posted:

One of my top five wants from a WoT TV show since I was in Elementary School is that moment when Nyn and Mogh both walk into that room in the museum, instantly try to sever each other, are using all their strength in epic psychic combat as sweat pours down their brows... and then like, the camera cuts to a guy pushing a broom on the other side of a doorway who doesn't even notice them because without channeling its just two women standing stock still staring at each other in a silent room.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Yeah, it's not like you can prepare things ahead of time and then make them completely invisible.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

Like, if there was some kind of precedent for channeling weaves, and then like tying them off and then inverting them so that nobody but you could see them, that'd be worrisome. There could be traps anywhere!

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

pseudorandom name posted:

Like, if there was some kind of precedent for channeling weaves, and then like tying them off and then inverting them so that nobody but you could see them, that'd be worrisome. There could be traps anywhere!

Do you think Lanfear with months at her disposal is more or less likely to have set that up in her own room than Moggy after waking up an hour ago? Rafe isn't giving you money, you can just say that while it was dramatic it doesn't make sense.

pseudorandom name
May 6, 2007

I think that my choices are between the No Spoilers thread and this godawful thread and posters with a Braid Tuggers gang tag are going to get one strike and then straight to the ignore list.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Goofballs posted:

Do you think Lanfear with months at her disposal is more or less likely to have set that up in her own room

It wasn't her room.

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Hard agree. It's possible for someone to walk into a trap after seeing the only person you'd assume could set a trap in this age of barbarism get turned to ash.

Goofballs
Jun 2, 2011

CainFortea posted:

It wasn't her room.

Cool, its a room she's been in over and over. Its still stupid.

RC Cola posted:

Hard agree. It's possible for someone to walk into a trap after seeing the only person you'd assume could set a trap in this age of barbarism get turned to ash.

She was stabbed through the back and had her throat slit recently

Goofballs fucked around with this message at 08:24 on Oct 8, 2023

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Goofballs posted:

And knows if moggy kills her the dark one will bring her back, but still it hurts? And maybe she could get trapped in some way that fucks with time because forsaken knows weaves we don't know? Also it's a TV show introducing a new baddie and this is a good way to establish that she is a real threat? And set up all the scheming and traps she will be setting for the next couple of seasons.

Idk it worked for me, I'm sorry it didn't work for you

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ
Lanfear said earlier in the season that Moghedians crazy and she certainly seemed to be characterized that way, sitting in the room muttering to herself, so theyre changing her up slightly in that way from a cold, calculating plotter to something a bit different.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Goofballs posted:

It's a factual error highlighting your paltry understanding of anything that happens in the show and or the books.

SirSamVimes
Jul 21, 2008

~* Challenge *~

Goofballs posted:

Why would she have rigged someone else's room with traps?

edit Do you think she just sets traps in any room she regularly enters?

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Goofballs posted:

So theres already on-screen precedent for the weaker person getting the drop on the stronger channeler? Theres the line by Liandrin that its not the strongest who write history, but those who survive?

Lanfear had won. She had outthought Ishamael, there was no one who could stand in her way.

Obviously in hindsight, she should have done stuff differently, but from what she knew at the time and from what has been shown onscreen, it is completely believable what happened.

I think that my choices are between the No Spoilers thread and this godawful thread and posters with a Braid Tuggers gang tag are going to get one strike and then straight to the ignore list.
After this season, its only a small, loud minority nitpicking or blatantly ignoring the show and the books in order to trash talk the show. Luckily this forum is relatively good at not letting them drive the entire discourse. So while they scream and shout every once in a while, they also get drowned out or ignored just as quickly. And yes, putting a few of the worst posters on the ignore list helps.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 08:57 on Oct 8, 2023

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

i like this show and you can't stop me

socialsecurity
Aug 30, 2003
Probation
Can't post for 9 hours!
I weirdly hope this show gets it's budget cut next season, give me a bottle episode of Rand alone in a room talking to Lews in his head with a B plot of watching Mat play a single poker game.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Joementum
May 23, 2004

jesus christ

socialsecurity posted:

I weirdly hope this show gets it's budget cut next season, give me a bottle episode of Rand alone in a room talking to Lews in his head with a B plot of watching Mat play a single poker game.

The show is much better in its second season but its biggest problem is still that the guy they cast to play Rand is not good at acting so I really hope we dont get anything where he has to carry an episode.

I am looking forward to watching Egwene lead the rebels, defy Elaida, and unite the Tower.