Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
The Hundred Thousand Kingdoms (Inheritance #1) by NK Jemisin - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B002ZDJZO2/

Theft of Swords (Riyria Revelations #1) by Michael J Sullivan - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B004XWBUKK/

Coraline by Neil Gaiman - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0070XB0N6/

The Book of Skulls by Robert Silverberg - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07B3S9TLS/

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty
Visiting New England, stopped in Providence.

Had to snap a photo of HP Lovecraft's house:

No plaque or anything. I also visited the John Hay Library, which has the collection of his letters, but viewing is by appointment only, and not on Saturdays.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

branedotorg posted:

i wouldn't personally, other than to read it as a document illustrating the author's psychosis, it's polarising, there are some fans but there's few fence sitters on this one.

dick was so prolific and wrote in the serialisation area so there's a a huge quality range across his bibliography.

The Man in the High Castle, Frolix 8, Flow my tears and a scanner darkly are the best ones imo but if there's any short story collections they'll be the gold.

I'm reading Ubik now. Not what I expected but definitely more compelling than Radio Free Albemuth. It continues his fixation on teenage girls getting naked and hooking up with older men though. :chloe:

I've heard the Three Stigmata of Palmer Aldritch highly recommended. What do you think of that one?

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Annath posted:

No plaque or anything. I also visited the John Hay Library, which has the collection of his letters, but viewing is by appointment only, and not on Saturdays.

You should check out Lovecraft's tombstone too. It's in Swan Point Cemetery, which has some great memorials near the river, and there's often something weird done to Lovecraft's grave around this time of year.
The grave itself isn't anything special tho

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Annath posted:

Ha, I live like a 5 minute walk from there.

And yes, his grave is a rather modest affair.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

SimonChris posted:

What's the best way to get the Commonweal books onto a Kindle? Do I really need to mess around with shady DRM removers?
I converted them from .epub to .mobi using an online converter and then emailed them to my kindle and it worked fine.

I’m reading the Commonweal books again and this quote just blitzed its way past my thinking brain into the lizard part.

quote:

’Comprehensive excellence’ ain’t a requirement. ‘Win the fight’ is a requirement.

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

secular woods sex posted:

I converted them from .epub to .mobi using an online converter and then emailed them to my kindle and it worked fine.

funnily enough I got this from Amazon just a couple days back, they've been threatening it for ages

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Batatouille is a great and funny play on words for a video game creature and I love silly words like these
Clever Betty

StumblyWumbly posted:

You should check out Lovecraft's tombstone too. It's in Swan Point Cemetery, which has some great memorials near the river, and there's often something weird done to Lovecraft's grave around this time of year.
The grave itself isn't anything special tho

Nuclear Tourist posted:

Ha, I live like a 5 minute walk from there.

Alas, the cemetery is closed on Saturdays from what I could tell, and we only had 1 day (we were visiting Boston, Salem, and Providence on this trip).

I did get several snapshots around town for my HP Lovecraft Historical Society membership stamp though, as well as checked out the Lovecraft Arts and Sciences store.

Ramrod Hotshot
May 30, 2003

Can anyone recommend a good recent science fiction or fantasy short story collection?

DACK FAYDEN
Feb 25, 2013

Bear Witness

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I've heard the Three Stigmata of Palmer Aldritch highly recommended. What do you think of that one?
It's very good IMO. Also if you like Ubik you should try VALIS. But if you don't, then don't. (and if you like that then there's the sequel, The Divine Invasion, although the third book typically called "in the valis trilogy" is not actually because he never finished the intended third one before dying so they just kind of packaged a similar late work in)

fez_machine
Nov 27, 2004

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Can anyone recommend a good recent science fiction or fantasy short story collection?

Single author or multiple?

For multiple author anthologies. How recent? At this very moment anything edited by Jonathan Strahan will be good. Going back a few years you can add Gardner Dozois to the list.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

How Long 'til Black Future Month is an excellent collection of NK Jemsin's short fiction. It's a mix of SF, fantasy, and urban fantasy. There are some absolute bangers in there, and a good number where I put the iPad down afterwards and just had a think or a feel about them.

Related essay
https://nkjemisin.com/2013/09/how-long-til-black-future-month/

Watch the linked video, Janele Monae slaps.

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

How recent is recent? Do you consider Lovecraftian stuff close enough to SciFi?

Redneck Eldritch is a hilarious take on the genre.

Apotheosis: Stories of Human Survival After The Rise of The Elder Gods is much more serious/traditional.

Lost Signals is "horror fiction featuring radio waves, numbers stations, rogue transmissions, and other unimaginable sounds you only wish were fiction."

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

I recently read The Alchemy of Sorrow: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0B4VVQPYY/

Has a short story from M.L. Wang, the author of The Sword of Kaigen in it. Didn't blow me away but there were a fair few stories in there that I really, really enjoyed.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

Nuclear Tourist posted:

What? No, that epitaph is baller.

secular woods sex
Aug 1, 2000
I dispense wisdom by the gallon.

NoneMoreNegative posted:

funnily enough I got this from Amazon just a couple days back, they've been threatening it for ages

Looks like I need to reconvert to a new format, thank you for the heads up!

Megazver
Jan 13, 2006

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

Academic Exercises by KJ Parker. Most of the stories are available online, maybe find one and see if you like his style.

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

thotsky posted:

What? No, that epitaph is baller.

No argument there, but it's still a tiny little unassuming grave marker in a huge old cemetery and you could easily walk right past it unless you know what you're looking for. I suppose the decorations that people sometimes put on it make it stand out a bit though.

Ravus Ursus
Mar 30, 2017

Nuclear Tourist posted:

No argument there, but it's still a tiny little unassuming grave marker in a huge old cemetery and you could easily walk right past it unless you know what you're looking for. I suppose the decorations that people sometimes put on it make it stand out a bit though.

I think it's appropriate. The dude was pretty unassuming at a glance. The marker absolutely fits him.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

At the Mouth of the River of Bees by Kij Johnson

Either collection by Ted Chiang are probably the best, assume you’ve read them?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Beads?

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Annath posted:

Don’t feel too bad, even academics aren’t allowed to look at his letters in the John Hay, they’re in too bad condition. He has an astronomy notebook in there that hasn’t been digitized yet and they wouldn’t let me look at it for research for my Lovecraft and Astronomy book, and I’ve met the special collections librarian at a number of conferences prior.

That being said they do typically have some of his papers on display in the hallway. Last time I was there they had his notes for At the Mountains of Madness in a display case.

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

mllaneza posted:

How Long 'til Black Future Month is an excellent collection of NK Jemsin's short fiction. It's a mix of SF, fantasy, and urban fantasy. There are some absolute bangers in there, and a good number where I put the iPad down afterwards and just had a think or a feel about them.

Related essay
https://nkjemisin.com/2013/09/how-long-til-black-future-month/

Watch the linked video, Janele Monae slaps.

Speaking of Janelle Monae, this is actually a pretty good book of collaborative sff short stories https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Librarian-Other-Stories-Computer-ebook/dp/B09B7JQX5H

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Chairman Capone posted:

Don’t feel too bad, even academics aren’t allowed to look at his letters in the John Hay, they’re in too bad condition. He has an astronomy notebook in there that hasn’t been digitized yet and they wouldn’t let me look at it for research for my Lovecraft and Astronomy book, and I’ve met the special collections librarian at a number of conferences prior.

That being said they do typically have some of his papers on display in the hallway. Last time I was there they had his notes for At the Mountains of Madness in a display case.

Interesting. If even academics aren't allowed to study them, then what's the point? It isn't really preserving knowledge if no one can study it lol.

What's the title of your book?

NoneMoreNegative
Jul 20, 2000
GOTH FASCISTIC
PAIN
MASTER

shit wizard dad

Looks like I need to reconvert to a new format, thank you for the heads up!

I think anything you already have uploaded to your Amazon documents is safe, they're just not accepting new .mobi files from November.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Chairman Capone posted:

Did he write on really cheap paper?

Annath posted:

Interesting. If even academics aren't allowed to study them, then what's the point? It isn't really preserving knowledge if no one can study it lol.
If the letters have only one or two viewings left to them (sadly, a very real possibility with crumbling paper) then you want to save those viewings for digitization.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Annath posted:

What's the title of your book?

Yeah, like Arsenic Lupin said, the paper quality tends to be very bad and they are extremely fragile, but thankfully almost all of them are digitized and can be viewed freely on the Brown library website.

And my book is When the Stars are Right: H. P. Lovecraft and Astronomy: https://www.hippocampuspress.com/other-authors/nonfiction/when-the-stars-are-right-h.-p.-lovecraft-and-astronomy

Annath
Jan 11, 2009

Clever Betty

Chairman Capone posted:

Yeah, like Arsenic Lupin said, the paper quality tends to be very bad and they are extremely fragile, but thankfully almost all of them are digitized and can be viewed freely on the Brown library website.

And my book is When the Stars are Right: H. P. Lovecraft and Astronomy: https://www.hippocampuspress.com/other-authors/nonfiction/when-the-stars-are-right-h.-p.-lovecraft-and-astronomy

Awesome, I'll check it out!

Nuclear Tourist
Apr 7, 2005

Chairman Capone posted:

I'll pick this up if I ever have the time to actually sit down and read a book again.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

Arsenic Lupin posted:

Did he write on really cheap paper?

Given the state of Lovecraft's finances most of his life, I wouldn't be surprised.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Stuporstar posted:

Speaking of Janelle Monae, this is actually a pretty good book of collaborative sff short stories https://www.amazon.com/Memory-Librarian-Other-Stories-Computer-ebook/dp/B09B7JQX5H

Sold!

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

If you're up for something a little more on the literary side, Sofia Samatar's Tender is amazing.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

The Washington Post has a lovely graphic short story ('graphic' as in 'graphic novel') about the Black fantasy writer Charles Saunders. Unpaywalled link.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Exhalation: Stories by Ted Chiang - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GD46PQZ/

The Once and Future Witches by Alix E Harrow - $2.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B085C71YG5/

The Ships of Air (Fall of Ile-Rien #2) by Martha Wells - $4.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FCKIA0/

ulmont
Sep 15, 2010

IF I EVER MISS VOTING IN AN ELECTION (EVEN AMERICAN IDOL) ,OR HAVE UNPAID PARKING TICKETS, PLEASE TAKE AWAY MY FRANCHISE

Kindle takes EPUB right now with no issues and that’s the format they’re moving to.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

Ramrod Hotshot posted:

pradmer posted:

Exhalation: Stories by Ted Chiang - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B07GD46PQZ/

Exhalation has some really great stuff. It's more thinky than exciting or emotionally engaging, but there are stories that will stick with you

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

I listened to the first two Green Bone Saga books by Fonda Lee because they seemed like the right sort of book for audio (I generally use audiobooks for rereads or stuff that requires less attention). There was nothing outright terrible about them but they felt incredibly generic and besides the setting, which itself just felt like a pastiche of superficially spoofed Asian cultures, I found absolutely nothing memorable about them. Perhaps they just paled in comparison to Gideon and Harrow the Ninth which I was coming off of, and which I plan on rereading on my Kindle before I move on to Nona the Ninth.

Does anyone have any other recommendations for good, recent-ish (last decade maybe?) sci fi or fantasy? If it's available on Audible, even better.

Augustus Woop-Woop
Dec 14, 2003
wang

Arsenic Lupin posted:

The Washington Post has a lovely graphic short story ('graphic' as in 'graphic novel') about the Black fantasy writer Charles Saunders. Unpaywalled link.

Recommended clicking on this. Very touching.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

Tosk posted:

I listened to the first two Green Bone Saga books by Fonda Lee because they seemed like the right sort of book for audio (I generally use audiobooks for rereads or stuff that requires less attention). There was nothing outright terrible about them but they felt incredibly generic and besides the setting, which itself just felt like a pastiche of superficially spoofed Asian cultures, I found absolutely nothing memorable about them. Perhaps they just paled in comparison to Gideon and Harrow the Ninth which I was coming off of, and which I plan on rereading on my Kindle before I move on to Nona the Ninth.
Green Bone Saga was not particularly special for me until Jade Legacy, at which point I fell in love with the series. I will say though, as someone who is East Asian, that for me, the culture is anything but superficially spoofed.

Tosk posted:

Does anyone have any other recommendations for good, recent-ish (last decade maybe?) sci fi or fantasy? If it's available on Audible, even better.
Have you read our very own Surreptitious Muffin's The Dawnhounds or Simon Jimenez's The Spear Cuts Through Water?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Fonda Lees novella about the roc falconer lady was super duper just ok