Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

The Black Stones
May 7, 2007

I POSTED WHAT NOW!?
I finally was able to catch a showing of the movie Bottoms and that was one of the best movies I’ve seen all year. I was laughing almost through out the entire movie. They really captured that old comedy movie essence where if something funny isn’t happening up front, look in the background and something funny could be happening there.

A+ movie. Plan on seeing again.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Ohtori Akio posted:

ive done something close to this and it was insanely good for me. i was waking up at 5 am and going for several mile walks and poo poo

i had one semester in college where i woke up at 4am and that 4am to 7am period where it's dead quiet and nobody bothers you is godlike for doing poo poo and feeling good

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

Southern Cassowary posted:

i had one semester in college where i woke up at 4am and that 4am to 7am period where it's dead quiet and nobody bothers you is godlike for doing poo poo and feeling good

at the time i did this i lived about half a mile from a park with a walking track and excellent view of mt rainier. most of the time it was morning mist but occasionally the sun would rise while the clouds were just clear enough and i would witness something spectacular. when you show up for something like that and nobody else is there it feels like the moment was made just for you it's very very nice

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I've been marathoning the Raimi Spiderman movies on Crave. Kirsten Dunst can't stop screaming and the newscasters providing commentary during the fight with Venom and Sandman I Spiderman 3 are ridiculous.

Thanksgiving weekend movie marathons ftw.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 00:33 on Oct 8, 2023

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ok it is time to watch char's counterattack

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Meowywitch posted:

ok it is time to watch char's counterattack

hell loving ya. I always love seeing the opening fight ReGZ's are so cool

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Low key the best part of CCA is how every scene with Mirai she's got this "I am absolutely sick of this bullshit" look glazed across her face and she's utterly unfazed by doomsday asteroids or panicking people blowing up shops.

Also there's this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lD50VGazu8U

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

doing late night laundry and anime

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Finished Billy Bat.... also considerijg seeing Blue Giant in theaters but it's fail rear end 3d anim

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I saw this random movie, The Creator, that I didn't know existed until i saw it on my theater's movie list and it had a buddhist monk in the mountains but it was a chappie style robot, which piqued my interest

It was a very very pretty movie and the acting was not bad but the plot's as bland as gruel. Still, worth the watch, the atmosphere of it ruled. Stuff like robots on hookahs, and humanoid robots indistinguishable from regular humans except for the big hole in the sides of their heads. Great movie to just take it all in, but the story was incredibly basic. If you've got a big fancy TV you could do a lot worse than ogling all the impressive setpieces

Apparently it only cost 80 million to make, if you'd asked me the budget I'd probably have said twice that, so it's incredibly impressive from a special effects standpoint that they pulled something that fancy looking with that "small" of a budget

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

that's what I heard, looks great and had a lot of potential, but the logic of how a bunch of things played out doesn't match how smart its trying to be.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I kinda wanted to watch it just to support a sci-fi blockbuster that wasn't a franchise thing

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Waffleman_ posted:

I kinda wanted to watch it just to support a sci-fi blockbuster that wasn't a franchise thing

If you wanna do that, go down to your local bookstore and buy the best Philip K. Dick novel: "Ubik"

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I think the 67% on rottentomatoes is about right, a 7/10 for me. Brilliant visuals, some excellent characters and incredible moments, but braindead plot and glaring plot holes.

You should see it if you want a "just absorb the setting/atmosphere" sort of movie. It's not a bad movie at all, it's just go in more for the visual spectacle than the story. The story has nothing new to offer, but the visuals, good lord. And some of the robots, man, they are such bros. Tons of the sci fi stuff in the movie like "donating your face scan to add to robot science" is rad. Or the brain scanner that can, depending on when you use it after you die, can resuscitate a dead person for a short time by transferring a fragment of their consciousness to a robot who can then relay a final message. That's rad as gently caress

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

i think my biggest non-franchise non-licensed movie i enjoyed the most in recent memory is Sisu

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

I have come to the conclusion that Char sucks

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Buschmaki posted:

If you wanna do that, go down to your local bookstore and buy the best Philip K. Dick novel: "Ubik"

make sure to play the absolute dogshit ubik game made by french hacks too

Meowywitch posted:

I have come to the conclusion that Char sucks

Zetsubou-san
Jan 28, 2015

Cruel Bifaunidas demanded that you [stand]🧍 I require only that you [kneel]🧎
i had that ubik game

i don't remember much about it

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

Nearly at the end of Kingdom Hearts 3, and I have to say that Kingdom Hearts is extremely ftw, except for the Tangled and Frozen worlds, which are fail.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Thought Tangled was pretty solid tbh

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Zetsubou-san posted:

i had that ubik game

i don't remember much about it

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U4pm6xbISII

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Saagonsa
Dec 29, 2012

I didn't like the guy very much. The actual gameplay of the world was fine. Never seen Tangled so I assume that's just a problem I'd have with the movie generally lol

Last Celebration
Mar 30, 2010

SyntheticPolygon posted:

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i liked the tangled movie but i am a certified sucker for mostly traditional musicals. the guy's whatever but they always are

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

the most interesting part of tangled is the evil mom and shes barely in the kh rendition except to turn into a monster at the end

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Perhaps unfair but it always had a bad taste for being synonymous with their total killing of 2D, and nothing about the movie except Mother Gothel particularly appealed to me.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i would watch a four-hour three-act with intermission claymation musical adaptation of tomo-chan if the songs were good. the 3d era is aids however

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I shudder to think of how many man-hours would be put into a 4-hour claymation movie.

Red Minjo
Oct 20, 2010

Out of the houses, which is the most blue?

The answer might not be be obvious at first.

Gravy Boat 2k
I am interested in seeing Cotton candy in clay, though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

Endorph posted:

the most interesting part of tangled is the evil mom and shes barely in the kh rendition except to turn into a monster at the end

KH3 had a cap of only being able to fight one disney person and unfortunately they chose the squid guy.

E: And baymax

SyntheticPolygon fucked around with this message at 10:37 on Oct 8, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
hey so if anyone here liked Helck, the author has a new series called Volundio: Divergent Sword Saga, and I made a thread for it. It is excellent and especially if you liked Helck, I highly recommend reading Volundio!

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Movie this morning was Eternal 831. It's a shame how far Kenji Kamiyama has fallen. It's a movie that wants to be political and apolitical at the same time - the most it's willing to say is that there are politicians who put their personal gains ahead of the people they're supposed to be representing, which is the most milquetoast political observation one can have. It's just too vague in general. A character accuses politicians of having no ideologies, but the same applies to the whole cast. Even when it tries to be emotional, it just falls flat.

It's not a good movie but I would like to highlight the sole buckwild part. The protagonist has a tragic incident in his past. He blames himself for a classmate's suicide. The exact details of the suicide: The classmate stole money from the student council. The protagonist found out about this and told a teacher. The classmate wants to get revenge on the protag so he calls the police, tells them that the protag stole the money, and then he kills himself. He jumps off the school rooftop headfirst. The protag witnesses this and sees that this classmate has a big ol smile on his face as he's plummeting to his death. Then the classmate's girlfriend publicly blames the protag for the suicide, leading to the protag's father killing himself. This is all handled handled in a very brief flashback and makes it come off like the classmate was a total psycho.

If the entire movie could have that kind of maniacal writing throughout, it'd be a lot more enjoyable that's for sure. Sadly everything outside of that is pretty lethargic.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
I still don't know what to make of Kenji Kamiyama. Sometimes he knocks it out of the park. Sometimes he makes me wonder what he was thinking.

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Srice posted:

Movie this morning was Eternal 831. It's a shame how far Kenji Kamiyama has fallen.

What did you think of the Netflix 3D GITS, assuming you’ve seen it?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

I didn't care for KH3. Never played ReMind or the patches which made things better tho.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Ibram Gaunt posted:

I didn't care for KH3. Never played ReMind or the patches which made things better tho.

As someone who also felt this way and kinda still does, ReMIND was a significant improvement

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

I liked Tangled the movie because I went on a date in uni to go watch it. Was fun.

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream

SyntheticPolygon posted:

KH3 had a cap of only being able to fight one disney person and unfortunately they chose the squid guy.

E: And baymax

And the titans.

And the heartless version of the tangled and frozen villains. And Randal.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Rinkles posted:

What did you think of the Netflix 3D GITS, assuming you’ve seen it?

I've only seen a little bit of it. There are some folks I trust that say the writing is pretty good, though I didn't get far enough to have a strong opinion on that aspect because I really disliked how the show looked in motion. I'm not against watching a CG anime, just that I didn't like how it specifically looked. I might give it another go someday.