Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Pierson posted:

Just an absolutely unbelievable kit. I'm amazed I managed to finish it without losing a single part because there are just so many metal accents and small moving bits it felt inevitable at times. I need a break.

I can't tell if you preshaded, weathered, or just panel lined and left some of the ink on, but I'd love to hear more about your techniques since I'm currently debating whether to just do the metallic touch up, or if I should go whole-hog on painting.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

claw game handjob
Mar 27, 2007

pinch pinch scrape pinch
ow ow fuck it's caught
i'm bleeding
JESUS TURN IT OFF
WHY ARE YOU STILL SMILING

SgtSteel91 posted:

Man, I got Valimar months back but I've never done Gunpla before and I get nervous I'm going to mess something up, like clip a piece of a part instead of the nub or slice a piece in half trying to shave the nub off, since Valimar is one of my favorite mechs.

So honestly, the directions will usually call out "hey, this is a piece you want to watch the cut on!" for things where a tab or a nub is intended to exist. Just double-check the diagram before each move for safety on that first part. On the second, you've got to be going pretty hard with a knife or tool to rip a piece apart, and the usual safe method for nub removal is to slice back and forth rather than go all Guts on it, so that's a best-practice that'll save you heartache. Still, nothing is going to be harmed by doing a practice kit or two over one you're really wanting to make shine. I have a pair of P-Bandai kits I'm waiting to do until I've both cleaned my desk up, and also have a space to do a little bit of paintwork in, so I get it.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice

Warmachine posted:

I can't tell if you preshaded, weathered, or just panel lined and left some of the ink on, but I'd love to hear more about your techniques since I'm currently debating whether to just do the metallic touch up, or if I should go whole-hog on painting.
Just pre-shading, panel-lining and top-coat. Barely any panel-lining at that, there's so much colour-separation that there isn't much to do on the main body. Unluckily there is a ton to do and clean on the fin funnels but eh, it is what it is. If you just want to re-do the metallic accents (which yeah 100% the original 'metallic' silver/brass doesn't look good ) and not paint the rest it will still end up looking great. If you want to paint every piece then prepare for a big job because there are so many pieces.

Honestly I think a good top-coat does half the work on Gunpla, it doesn't just take away the plastic look but actually seems to add more depth to it.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I swear i havent been just doing nothing but building gunpla. its just like an hour each night and in a week I get a nice kit at the end. :3

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Painted, washed and highlighted. Not bad for being a few years since I've painted up a mini. Certainly tabletop ready.

Found one I'd painted years ago for a comparison.

Arc Hammer fucked around with this message at 18:29 on Oct 9, 2023

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd

Synthbuttrange posted:

I swear i havent been just doing nothing but building gunpla. its just like an hour each night and in a week I get a nice kit at the end. :3
chuchu! :3:

i like the way you did the weathering, it looks really nice

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Thanks! It was a fun kit, only a few problems like the hips being prone to popping off the leg and some sunken parting lines. And the fact that she cant hold the gun like a club

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

aerial... so cool.........

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Borrowed the bat and sprues make good pipes.

Calexio
Jun 12, 2008

Gyoza and beer

Blaziken386 posted:

aerial... so cool.........

Yeah it is! Looking good there!

Progress made by my kids today. Loving how it's giving kids an avenue to express themselves that they might not otherwise have. Quiet lad with much lower English than everyone else? In his element here helping others and impressing them with his capability, but also not taking over. Also turns out the one girl in my class loves models and "went to Lego school" and built a bunch of Star Wars Lego stuff and is a dab hand with a pair of nippers. Best teaching decision I've made this year.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
You should all get the FM Aerial it's exactly as good to build but nearly twice as big so twice as cool.

Iriscoral
Apr 9, 2023

为人民服务
Quick question, y'all do Girlpla here? Stuff like Bandai's 30 Minutes Sisters, Kotobukiya Frame Arms Girls/Megami Device, and various others

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

how obvious is it that i currently have a lot of time on my hands?
darilbalde concensus: pretty neat
i really like that they got a lot of different mech artists to design each company's mechs for G-Witch, it gives tham a lot of character. Darilbalde is chunky, but he's a completely different kind of chunky from the Demi Barding

Iriscoral posted:

Quick question, y'all do Girlpla here? Stuff like Bandai's 30 Minutes Sisters, Kotobukiya Frame Arms Girls/Megami Device, and various others
My first model kit was actually a Frame Arms Girl!

I probably should've stared with gunpla first, I didn't do so good removing her nubs and I kinda broke the joint of one of her arms, but I'm still happy with how she turned out. I'd get more of the Frame Arms series, but tragically most of the ones i like the overall look of & are in stock also have their underwear on full display, which i don't really care for.

I do wanna get the hatsune miku model one day though, it looks super cool

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Iriscoral posted:

:justpost:

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

RIP, my RG Epyon is coming in the mail this week but I'm away on holiday for a week then a work trip pretty much right after I get back.

RillAkBea
Oct 11, 2008

So I guess the Gunlplaconomy isn't fully healed yet. I just sold my fully assembled, unpainted, unboxed PG Perfect Strike on Yahoo for more than I paid for it new 3 years ago. :psyduck:

SpikeMcclane
Sep 11, 2005

You want the story?
I'll spin it for you quick...

Iriscoral posted:

Yes! Making customs with them is one of my favorite things!

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

RillAkBea posted:

So I guess the Gunlplaconomy isn't fully healed yet. I just sold my fully assembled, unpainted, unboxed PG Perfect Strike on Yahoo for more than I paid for it new 3 years ago. :psyduck:
I can imagine that if it looks like a decent assembly job by you it might interest somebody that wants to go all-out on detailing and painting. They might find the runner snipping and cleanup the most boring part of a build, so they can just use yours as a base.

Just speculating here, but I can see the appeal. If I ever make my hypothetical dream custom/kitbash I'd be fine using assembled donor-kits.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I need to get more micro plastics in me, gotta file down all the nub marks myself!

Tin Tim
Jun 4, 2012

Live by the pun - Die by the pun

Collect all the bits and shavings and eventually you can start your day with a dose of the forbidden sprinkles

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

Zedd posted:

I can imagine that if it looks like a decent assembly job by you it might interest somebody that wants to go all-out on detailing and painting. They might find the runner snipping and cleanup the most boring part of a build, so they can just use yours as a base.

Just speculating here, but I can see the appeal. If I ever make my hypothetical dream custom/kitbash I'd be fine using assembled donor-kits.

I find it really hard to imagine someone dedicated enough to go through the huge project of painting a PG who is so completely uninterested in actually assembling it that they'd pay extra to not do it.
Especially since they'll need to take it apart and put it back together as part of the painting process anyways!

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

I'm worried I damaged the nub on my black line marker, it would suck to have to replace it so soon

slapped together the SD khatriya, gonna spray him later tonight

Razor Jacksuit
Mar 31, 2007

VEES RULE #1

This morning I discovered why everyone hates the RG Mk. II leg tubes so much. I'm saving the second one for tomorrow.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Tin Tim posted:

Collect all the bits and shavings and eventually you can start your day with a dose of the forbidden sprinkles

Every day I wake up and do a line of plastic dust just to feel something.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Razor Jacksuit posted:

This morning I discovered why everyone hates the RG Mk. II leg tubes so much. I'm saving the second one for tomorrow.

It took several years but I finally lost one of the tubes. Once that material frays it's just a matter of time.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

picked up the HG barbatos today for two reasons

1: i heard it was a really well made kit and it looks kind of neat
2, the more important reason: so i can steal its club and give it to the demi barding, because chuchu deserves a giant blunt piece of metal to kill things with.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Blaziken386 posted:

2, the more important reason: so i can steal its club and give it to the demi barding, because chuchu deserves a giant blunt piece of metal to kill things with.

I also bought HG Barbatos to steal parts from it--specifically to take its arms and put them on a 30 minute sisters model to make a cyberpunk monster.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Blaziken386 posted:

Iirc, some of the MS Option Sets have dual short clubs if you want to give your Barbatos some new weaponry. Also Barbatos-specific forearm cannons.

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

couldn't spray today because it's raining and also I worked an 11 hour day :(

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

one secret trick modellers dont want you to know. you can spray in your bedroom.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Iirc, some of the MS Option Sets have dual short clubs if you want to give your Barbatos some new weaponry. Also Barbatos-specific forearm cannons.

For Barbatos specifically, the accessory packs have the smoothbore cannon, the Lupus clubs, and a couple forearm cannons. In general, it has a bunch of options, from lances, bats, and axes to railguns and tiny tanks.

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
make sure to take in a big whiff of primer before you begin, that way the paint you breathe in later won't set incorrectly.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

I did see someone make a custom club for her using parts of it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zf4ndligG2w

Also.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2teUhOdyz-Y

Synthbuttrange fucked around with this message at 05:11 on Oct 12, 2023

Bimmi
Nov 8, 2009

someday
but not today
Just realized that the P-Bandai Dunbine has been off the US store for a while, which is... good? All the other nostalgia HGs thus far just seemed to linger, but it looks like people may have actually bought this one. I hope so, because I'd really like to see more Aura Battlers.

Also heard whispers that the Zeta Ver. Ka has been a sales disappointment, which would seem to line up with the frequent discounts I'm seeing on it, so I went ahead and got one. Amazon has it at a decent price with fast Prime shipping and a 3-month payment plan. It's going directly into the backlog, of course, but it's the thought that counts, right?

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

barbatos: pretty neat, love the legs, kinda annoying about of stickers but not too bad. I like the extra arm option.

demi barding: Now has a weapon worthy of chuchu

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"
Check out this absolute unit of a lad. :eyepop:

Though tbh, I feel the weapons are a little lacking. If you're gonna go Swole Robot like that, I feel you need at least one Big Gun or Big Sword. The weapons aren't bad of course, they're just relatively small enough to feel underwhelming compared to that bulky body for me.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Neddy Seagoon posted:

Check out this absolute unit of a lad. :eyepop:

Though tbh, I feel the weapons are a little lacking. If you're gonna go Swole Robot like that, I feel you need at least one Big Gun or Big Sword. The weapons aren't bad of course, they're just relatively small enough to feel underwhelming compared to that bulky body for me.

I don't thing a big beefy weapon fits this thing, actually. The arms are weapons, the legs are weapon pods, and both are detatchable from the 'core' mobile suit that is a standard sized unit.

This is what is riding inside the extra armor, so you can see where it gets the size of the cannons from.

Essentially I'm saying the bulk is fake and that it isn't actually swole--the muscles are just painted on.

Kaiju Cage Match
Nov 5, 2012

Ah, so it's a Gundam wearing fake costume muscles. :hmmyes:

Marx Headroom
May 10, 2007

AT LAST! A show with nonono commercials!
Fallen Rib

!!!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Eyyy! Such a good kit, isn't it? :allears: