Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

VictualSquid posted:

Hamburg actually. I saw it on a rental listing, and the apartment has a very large kitchen on the other side of one of those walls.

Fair on. I thought "old-rear end building renovated to include modern requirements for housing units" and just assumed.

If the pic had shown a shelf toilet I'd have known better.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Darchangel
Feb 12, 2009

Tell him about the blower!

Wasabi the J posted:

In this case, they put a lean on the house

:golfclap:

Wibla
Feb 16, 2011

3D Megadoodoo posted:

"Siri, give me a render of a kitchen with a floral pattern glass floor with AN OCEAN OF CUM under it, thank you"

I tried this with bing but it told me the result was NSFW and restricted :negative:

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

Wibla posted:

I tried this with bing but it told me the result was NSFW and restricted :negative:

An ocean of cinnabon glaze

E:

quote:

a render of a kitchen with a floral sakura pattern glass floor with a thick layer of creamy white glaze under it

corgski fucked around with this message at 18:03 on Oct 10, 2023

mr.belowaverage
Aug 16, 2004

we have an irc channel at #SA_MeetingWomen

Bravo

Dienes
Nov 4, 2009

dee
doot doot dee
doot doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot
doot doot dee
dee doot doot

College Slice

corgski posted:

An ocean of cinnabon glaze

E:

I'm still looking for Loss.

Nenonen
Oct 22, 2009

Mulla on aina kolkyt donaa taskussa
I love the vision of three parallel ovens. Finally I'm going to cook that big family dinner for people with varied diets simultaneously!

corgski
Feb 6, 2007

Silly goose, you're here forever.

A kosher kitchen that accepts that sometimes we do really just want some pork fried rice.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

Nvm

the yeti fucked around with this message at 02:01 on Oct 11, 2023

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

the yeti posted:

I uh, hmm :catstare:

Am I reading that right, did they wire circuit grounds to service neutral, circuit hots to service hot, and circuit neutrals to the breaker?

You missed the cutoff plug! I'd guess that was someone's "solution" to use a generator.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

I like the little loop-the-loop they send the hots of the appliance cord through before wiring them directly into a breaker.

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
It's always good to leave a courtesey loop!

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

devicenull posted:

You missed the cutoff plug! I'd guess that was someone's "solution" to use a generator.

I'm thinking they cut the end off to hardwire their dryer (or whatever) directly into the panel instead of installing an outlet.

If that was for a generator they'd probably have that plug wired up with a twistlock on the other end so they can backfeed through the dryer outlet.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Adding it is just a dryer cord with the end cut off to be hard wired in, is there a code violation there? I am guessing it is going to be an issue with the material the dryer cord is made of, and that solid wire needs to be used with breakers. But what makes that worse than a 5 foot run of solid wire and the poor splice job with wire nuts?

I get it’s dumb and bad, but trying to learn why.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002
I wonder what the other end of the cable is attached to. But yeah, probably a generator

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

Nitrox posted:

I wonder what the other end of the cable is attached to. But yeah, probably a generator

The other end of that cord is going to be three ring terminals. You'd need to put an end on just to plug it into the generator (or hardwire it :getin:). The only reason you'd use that cord for a generator and cut the end off is if it was the only source of wire available. Any port in a storm though, I guess.

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

Orvin posted:

Adding it is just a dryer cord with the end cut off to be hard wired in, is there a code violation there? I am guessing it is going to be an issue with the material the dryer cord is made of, and that solid wire needs to be used with breakers. But what makes that worse than a 5 foot run of solid wire and the poor splice job with wire nuts?

I get it’s dumb and bad, but trying to learn why.

The main problem is that you can't modify a safety listed device and keep the rating. So can't modify the cord. Secondary issue is that wherever strain relief device he's using to enter the box probably isn't listed for appliance cable (because nobody should be doing that) so that's technically a violation as well.

In practice, it's probably going to be fine. But it's not good work and it doesn't meet code.

Just a note because you mentioned it, stranded wire is acceptable for use with breakers. THHN and similar wire types are directly terminated to breakers all the time. Check the spec sheet on whatever type of breaker to be sure, but generally it's a listed application.

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

TacoHavoc posted:

The main problem is that you can't modify a safety listed device and keep the rating. So can't modify the cord. Secondary issue is that wherever strain relief device he's using to enter the box probably isn't listed for appliance cable (because nobody should be doing that) so that's technically a violation as well.

In practice, it's probably going to be fine. But it's not good work and it doesn't meet code.

Just a note because you mentioned it, stranded wire is acceptable for use with breakers. THHN and similar wire types are directly terminated to breakers all the time. Check the spec sheet on whatever type of breaker to be sure, but generally it's a listed application.

Not to mention it's a MALE PLUG and the only thing preventing those prongs from being live is the breaker is off. That's an easy way to blow yourself up. Is that breaker rated for backfeed? Will they remember to shut off the main with their death trap? Will they remember to shut off the breaker before unplugging it when the power comes back on?

It's a housefire lit by someone's electrocuted corpse waiting to happen.

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Cat Hatter posted:

The other end of that cord is going to be three ring terminals. You'd need to put an end on just to plug it into the generator (or hardwire it :getin:). The only reason you'd use that cord for a generator and cut the end off is if it was the only source of wire available. Any port in a storm though, I guess.
It could be attached to an appliance such as a generator, dryer or electric car charger. Someone just chose to hardwire instead of wiring an outlet. I did the exact same thing for my electric car charger, Instead of doing the plug and outlet bullshit. It's just I just ran 6 gauge wire straight to the panel from the box.

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti
i didn't realize the awful reason floor was fake, i am glad that it is. this is not fake, though.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Not to mention it's a MALE PLUG and the only thing preventing those prongs from being live is the breaker is off. That's an easy way to blow yourself up. Is that breaker rated for backfeed? Will they remember to shut off the main with their death trap? Will they remember to shut off the breaker before unplugging it when the power comes back on?

The plug end was cut off and is sitting in the panel not connected at either end. It might as well be in the garbage.

Nitrox posted:

It could be attached to an appliance such as a generator, dryer or electric car charger. Someone just chose to hardwire instead of wiring an outlet. I did the exact same thing for my electric car charger, Instead of doing the plug and outlet bullshit. It's just I just ran 6 gauge wire straight to the panel from the box.

Generators already have an outlet built in though. Even doing it right is significantly less work than disassembling the generator to hardwire it into the house. I agree that they probably wired an appliance directly into the panel, but probably not a generator unless the other end of that cord is three wires jammed directly into the generator outlet.

Freaquency
May 10, 2007

"Yes I can hear you, I don't have ear cancer!"

`Nemesis posted:

i didn't realize the awful reason floor was fake, i am glad that it is. this is not fake, though.

Ok fine I’ll share this video YouTube recommended me a few days ago

https://youtu.be/R4oQDnHlrR0?si=cJBU7bSKEDPdGI5i

TacoHavoc
Dec 31, 2007
It's taco-y and havoc-y...at the same time!

babyeatingpsychopath posted:

Holy poo poo, somehow I missed the end of the male plug laying in the panel. I was answering like someone left the female end of an extension cord dangling out, like to plug something in. Yeah that's even worse.

Long story short, it's all bad.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

Cat Hatter posted:

The plug end was cut off and is sitting in the panel not connected at either end. It might as well be in the garbage.

That’s what I saw, too. Why would you leave something like that in the box?

Ja, there’s tons of fun stuff happening at that carnival…but WTF.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

This is what it looks like on the bottom of the box:

from here

Messadiah
Jan 12, 2001

Cat Hatter posted:

unless the other end of that cord is three wires jammed directly into the generator outlet.

rule 34

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

PainterofCrap posted:

That’s what I saw, too. Why would you leave something like that in the box?

Ja, there’s tons of fun stuff happening at that carnival…but WTF.

The electrical panel is you store everything that doesn't spark joy.

Shifty Pony posted:

This is what it looks like on the bottom of the box:

from here

So it might have been for a generator at some point even though you'd still need a twistlock adapter which defeats the point of using the wrong cable.

At least someone at some point saw whatever was going on, went "aww hell no" and cut the cable off.

HelloIAmYourHeart
Dec 29, 2008
Fallen Rib

Freaquency posted:

Ok fine I’ll share this video YouTube recommended me a few days ago

https://youtu.be/R4oQDnHlrR0?si=cJBU7bSKEDPdGI5i

This is worth a watch. What an insane place to live, especially the toilet situation.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Cat Hatter posted:

The electrical panel is you store everything that doesn't spark joy.

So it might have been for a generator at some point even though you'd still need a twistlock adapter which defeats the point of using the wrong cable.

At least someone at some point saw whatever was going on, went "aww hell no" and cut the cable off.

The previous owner all but certainly cut the cable to take the dryer with them.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

`Nemesis posted:

Add a clamp lower and you have a shower/bidet combo!

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

poo poo Fuckasaurus posted:

That's my bet too. Previous owner had a dryer self-installed there, agent told him to remove it if it didn't convey, and the owner removed it in exactly the sort of manner that you'd expect someone who installed it that way would do it.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.

In hindsight, I'm amazed at my foolishness.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

It looks like they shut off the breaker before they hit it with the wire cutters. Small miracles.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

`Nemesis posted:

No worse than a Sweden boat shower. I.e. a normal-sized person will have no trouble showering there.

wolrah
May 8, 2006
what?

Lemniscate Blue posted:

That's got "NYC" written all over it.
Surprisingly one of my friends rented a house with a bathroom almost exactly like this but without the shower in Toledo, OH. Our best guess is that what was once a small screened in porch got turned in to a bare minimum bathroom and a hallway to the door. It was very poorly insulated and two of the walls were exterior so it was quite unpleasant to use in the winter.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
A friend had a similar bathroom in Orlando in a single family that was hillbilly hacked into a duplex. We called it the half bath, because it was half of a former bathroom.

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

A friend had a similar bathroom in Orlando in a single family that was hillbilly hacked into a duplex. We called it the half bath, because it was half of a former bathroom.

I put a 1/2 bath in an unused "Servant's stair" I hinged the shelves behind the shitter so I could stash TP on the old staircase. On the second floor it became closet.

Sirotan
Oct 17, 2006

Sirotan is a seal.

"r/HomeImprovement: Is there supposed to be something between the backboard and the tile? posted:

I’ve seen a bunch of posts about some red moisture barrier but I don’t know if that applies here. Thanks!

:thunk:

Sirotan fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 13, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Is that poo poo all held up with load bearing drywall?