Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
(Thread IKs: weg, Toxic Mental)

tiaz
Jul 1, 2004

PICK UP THAT PRESENT.

Zelensky's Zealots

Fumble posted:

Why does +2 = -2?

every day we stray further from the light of timecube. :sigh:

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

We must kick Luxembourg out of Benelux for this insolence.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Incompetent buffoons.

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

Why is he using enough significant digits to point to an individual atom

Oscar Wilde Bunch
Jun 12, 2012

Grimey Drawer
An actual intersection with I/P. The sadly not dead Kadyrov volunteers that he's willing to send the TikTok brigade to Gaza to serve as peacekeepers.

https://www.newsweek.com/putin-ally-war-israel-1833275

Medvedev also got drunk again and said it's all America's fault because we could have solved the conflict in the middle east if not for us infiltrating Russia with Nazi's, or something. I'm not sure what he's trying to really say, maybe he ran out of single use Stoli and moved on to jet fuel.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1711798490597130387#m
While they should never have been allowed to apply in the first place, at least we didn't end up being forced to see them on the Human Rights Council.

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1711796229896589336#m
Germoney coming through with lots more air defense and even APCs to replace those which were lost

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

weg posted:

gently caress lol yeah my bad. I should probably go back to doing my job instead of being incorrect on the internet.

But doctor, that IS my job!

bad_fmr
Nov 28, 2007

https://twitter.com/the_lookout_n/status/1711783515170173357

Norwegian independent seismic monitoring foundation NORSAR:

"NORSAR have detected a probable explosion along the Finnish coast of the Baltic Sea at 01:20 (local time in Finland) on 8th October 2023. This explosion was detected using stations in Finland."

zone
Dec 6, 2016

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1711821219996016825#m
Initial reports are that the bumrush to Avdiivka ended badly. And beside this, another plane got shot down.

GABA ghoul
Oct 29, 2011

bad_fmr posted:

https://twitter.com/the_lookout_n/status/1711783515170173357

Norwegian independent seismic monitoring foundation NORSAR:

"NORSAR have detected a probable explosion along the Finnish coast of the Baltic Sea at 01:20 (local time in Finland) on 8th October 2023. This explosion was detected using stations in Finland."

Can't wait for the Hersh story on this

The_Franz
Aug 8, 2003

GABA ghoul posted:

"My inside source tells me that the pipeline was actually hit by US developed and trained kamikaze cuttlefish. Biden is going to look like a poor waif in his underwear when this becomes public."

spankmeister
Jun 15, 2008

As they say at the CIA, Curious Varvara had her nose snatched at the market

Von Pluring
Sep 19, 2003

Zelensky's Zealots
Pork Pro

Sedgr posted:

Putin is a real piece of poo poo.

Massive

Sashimi
Dec 26, 2008

College Slice

The_Franz posted:

"My inside source tells me that the pipeline was actually hit by US developed and trained kamikaze cuttlefish.
Dr. Dugong would have never wanted his research to be used for violent ends.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

The only reason Orpo even ran was because he's stupid enough to believe that joining NATO was the end of Russian hostility. He's probably literally literally making GBS threads himself right now.

Alan Smithee
Jan 4, 2005

A man becomes preeminent, he's expected to have enthusiasms.

Enthusiasms, enthusiasms...

GABA ghoul posted:

"my inside sources at the CIA said Babushka made it rain. It was a Finnish inside job"

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

Kind of a tangential question but what happened in 2020 with the Belarus election to the people who didn't vote for Lukashenko, and voted for Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya? I'm wondering what an election in Russia in 2024 looks like for any challengers. Tsikhanouskaya contested the results but eventually just was allowed to flee the country. Everyone basically agrees it was a sham election, but what happens to the millions of people who allegedly vote for the non-autocrat? Nothing? State spying?

Set
Oct 30, 2005

3D Megadoodoo posted:

The only reason Orpo even ran was because he's stupid enough to believe that joining NATO was the end of Russian hostility. He's probably literally literally making GBS threads himself right now.

I once remember seeing Orpo at a outdoor bar, surrounded by identical looking mini-Orpos (who I guess must have been the Kok-youth) and it was the must bizarre looking thing. He really is a dumb rear end in a top hat, and with persut most likely ripping themselves apart soon again we really did vote in the worst gaggle of idiots for a time of crisis.

Set
Oct 30, 2005

Toxic Mental posted:

Kind of a tangential question but what happened in 2020 with the Belarus election to the people who didn't vote for Lukashenko, and voted for Sviatlana Tsikhanouskaya? I'm wondering what an election in Russia in 2024 looks like for any challengers. Tsikhanouskaya contested the results but eventually just was allowed to flee the country. Everyone basically agrees it was a sham election, but what happens to the millions of people who allegedly vote for the non-autocrat? Nothing? State spying?

I remember Yle had a good interview with some Belarusian's who had to escape their home country, and I'll check if I can find it when I have time in a couple of days. I remember they discussed the differences between future hopes in Belarus, Russia and Ukraine and I think some were especially mentioning the aftermath of that election. It was bleak reading.

Jasper Tin Neck
Nov 14, 2008

"Scientifically proven, rich and creamy."

Toxic Mental posted:

The KGB would surely love to know who voted for whom, but not even Belarus has open ballots in the 21st century. It's why dictators resort to jailing opponents, stuffing ballot boxes or declaring opposing votes invalid.

beer_war
Mar 10, 2005

Bit late on this, but remember Donbas Devushka aka Sarah Bils, the former American soldier and Russia supporter claiming to be from the Donbas?

Turns out she runs a new channel with a few likeminded tank enjoyers called DD_Geopolitics now. https://vatniksoup.com/en/soups/228.

Judging by the result when you search for DD_Geopolitics on these here forums, she's certainly found a niche here. :laugh:

Turrurrurrurrrrrrr
Dec 22, 2018

I hope this is "battle" enough for you, friend.

Rybar tweets a massive breakthrough attack in Avdiivka, while Reporting from Ukraine youtubes that it's not going without problems: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZxku2U_SxE

mmkay
Oct 21, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

I mean you can also look at the last Russian elections - the serious candidates like Navalny weren't permitted to run, the joke and fringe candidates were pushed ahead; ballots were stuffed anyway.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

zone posted:

https://twitter.com/NOELreports/status/1711821219996016825#m
Initial reports are that the bumrush to Avdiivka ended badly. And beside this, another plane got shot down.

Some ground gained because Ukraine lets troops withdraw, casualties seem high.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nZxku2U_SxE

Sekenr
Dec 12, 2013

Toxic Mental posted:

I am one of these people. There is no wholesale action to the entirety of people who voted "wrong" because the ballots are anonymous in addition to being destroyed ASAP in 2020 to suppress any attempt at revealing fraud. There are however lists (that probably still exist) of people who endorsed the opposition candidates. Between Babaryko and Tikhanouskaya could be 100-300k and maybe up to 500k people? There are regular news about purges of those from government jobs and from government owned companies. Arrests right in the office or in schools etc. The rule of thumb seem to be if you've shut up since 2020, deleted social media posts, pictures, left wrong telegram channels than you are relatively OK. However random 2020 related arrests still going on at least weekly so noone is safe.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Yle interviewed an expert on Russia and energy politics about the gas line attack. Once again, translation by me, so any poor choices of wording are probably mine.

Original link: https://yle.fi/a/74-20054577
Journalist: Teemu Juhola

Yle.fi posted:

Professor on the gas pipe situation: this can be just the beginning, strikes on infrastructure will continue as long as tensions remain high
Tampere University professor Pami Aalto, an expert on Russia and energy politics, answered seven questions on the damaged gas line

The Balticconnector gas pipe between Finland and Estonia was found to be damaged on the night of Sunday 8th of October. An undersea data connection has also been severed. The government held a press conference on the situation on Tuesday. We asked professor Pami Aalto from Tampere University seven questions about the situation. Aalto is an expert on Russia and energy politics.

In your view, what is the cause of the damage?

It could be an accident or sabotage. Sabotage surely seems like the more likely option right now.

What "outside action" could have caused this?

The culprit could be for instance a ship's anchor being dragged on the ocean floor into the cable, and it would then have damaged the pipe as well. Sabotage seems likely, but obviously all the facts have not been told to us yet.

If it is sabotage, how certain is it that Russia is behind it?

Nobdy but Russia has any interest in disrupting Finnish and Estonian infrastructure. Russian agents have also been mapping out the locations of gas pipes, data lines and other infrastructure in the Baltic and North Seas. If the cable was somewhere else, we could suspect a terrorist organization or other militants, but in this case there's no reason to suspect anything like that.

How could the damage to the gas pipe have been inflicted?

If this is sabotage instead of an accident by a ship, this is fairly sophisticated action. We haven't been told, if the system's normal running has been disrupted resulting in a gas leak, or if there's been an explosion. Apparently there's no seismologic evidence pointing towards an explosion [editor's note: apparently Norway has since discovered evidence of this]. Techniques that could cause a leak like this are theoretically many and varied, but they all require a level of sophistication. Therefore it would be strange if this didn't involve nation actors.

What could be the goals of this possible sabotage?

It could be just harassment. Russia has said they will get back at Finland for joining Nato with acts of revenge. This kind of stuff is definitely on the list. Second of all, Russia is in general in a state of war against the West, the EU and Nato. Russia doesn't want to start an open shooting war, but wants to straddle the line of Nato not invocing the fifth article and responding. Third, Russia wants the West's attention away from Ukraine. So this could just be a case of trying to muddy the waters.

So what happens next?

Fixing the pipes will the months. The investigations will take days or weeks. Probably nothing public will be revealed, until there's something more certain to reveal. It will also take some time to consult the intelligence agencies of our allies. There will be no responses until we have clear evidence of Russia's involvement.

How would you estimate the significance of what happened. Is this a historic event?

It definitely is, because this is just the beginning. Experts have waited for something like this to happen for several years, so this has definitely been to be expected. It's part of a continuum where they will execute strikes and cause nuisance on critical infrastructure, and it will in all likelihood continue as far as tensions remain high.

We're talking about the power grid, gas lines, any infrastructure that's currently being built. We should also talk about nuclear power plants and their exposure to risks. Any kind of critical infrastructure is of great interest to those who want to harass Nato allies.

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

In before Hersh explains that it was the wayward drifting bones of the Bin Laden body double they dumped in the ocean in 2010 that banged against the pipeline and broke it. America did it, in the end. Of course.

Shaman Tank Spec
Dec 26, 2003

*blep*

Toxic Mental posted:

In before Hersh explains that it was the wayward drifting bones of the Bin Laden body double they dumped in the ocean in 2010 that banged against the pipeline and broke it. America did it, in the end. Of course.

I mean I heard they found a Mickey Mouse cup on a beach 10 years ago, so that's clearly evidence the Americans have been doing this operation for at least 10 years. Further an American source said under anonymity that their guilt is as assured as Uncle Vova's feet being sore after removing his portyanki.

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Murz already sounds like he's on the verge of giving up over the disastrous attack on Avdiivka.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Set posted:

I once remember seeing Orpo at a outdoor bar, surrounded by identical looking mini-Orpos (who I guess must have been the Kok-youth) and it was the must bizarre looking thing. He really is a dumb rear end in a top hat, and with persut most likely ripping themselves apart soon again we really did vote in the worst gaggle of idiots for a time of crisis.

If the Right had won the last election, Finland probably wouldn't even be in NATO right now.

(A sentence no-one thought would ever be written, lmao cum smhd.)

Toxic Mental
Jun 1, 2019

poo poo at least it wasn't Persut though. If they won, they probably wouldn't explode like that are probably going to now.

BrassRoots
Jan 9, 2012

You can play a shoestring if you're sincere - John Coltrane

zone posted:

Murz already sounds like he's on the verge of giving up over the disastrous attack on Avdiivka.

It's hard to parse these russian reports what with all the "waif" phrases and double speak.

Also, ukraine war: it's not imperialism, it's sparkling genocide.

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars

BrassRoots posted:

It's hard to parse these russian reports what with all the "waif" phrases and double speak.

Also, ukraine war: it's not imperialism, it's sparkling genocide.
more comprehensible translation

https://twitter.com/wartranslated/status/1712017305390002566

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

Haven't heard from prigozhin in a while. Is he still in africa doing war crimes for money, just out of shot of any photos?

mobby_6kl
Aug 9, 2009

by Fluffdaddy

Drone_Fragger posted:

Haven't heard from prigozhin in a while. Is he still in africa doing war crimes for money, just out of shot of any photos?

He's went to do warcrimes on a farm up in Siberia

Dwesa
Jul 19, 2016

Maybe I'll go where I can see stars
short thread by Tatarigami on targeting RU military installations

quote:

5/ Engaging such a facility might lead to civilian casualties. Additionally, the secondary detonation of ammunition is highly likely to affect nearby residential houses. This will be undoubtedly exploited by russians, who may depict it as Ukrainian forces shelling civilians.
6/ Regrettably, this is not an isolated case, but rather a pervasive strategy used by russian forces in Ukraine since 2014. They often blend active civilian facilities with military ones, either to evade targeting or to exploit civilian casualties for propaganda purposes.

also some relatives of RU soldiers are very eager to proclaim them dead

Drone_Fragger
May 9, 2007

mobby_6kl posted:

He's went to do warcrimes on a farm up in Siberia

And no phone reception so he cant call anyone, and its too cold for cameras, obviously... Typical

zone
Dec 6, 2016

Wouldn't be the first time, there were such incidents of soldiers being declared dead by their families in an attempt to either inherit or gain death benefits, or both, even from the very early months of the war.

3D Megadoodoo
Nov 25, 2010

Toxic Mental posted:

poo poo at least it wasn't Persut though. If they won, they probably wouldn't explode like that are probably going to now.

They won the election. They didn't win the vote but they got exactly what they wanted, and more than they probably had hoped for.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

THE BAR
Oct 20, 2011

You know what might look better on your nose?

Tarquinn posted:

Guys, you do know that we have an official GBS egg thread, right? 🥚🥚🥚

Got a link to them eggs?

Oh no, your Gothmog avatar's gone. :(