Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

GreenBuckanneer
Sep 15, 2007

NoneMoreNegative posted:

funnily enough I got this from Amazon just a couple days back, they've been threatening it for ages

first I hear of this....

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

Huh I was the opposite. I loved the first Green Bone book which is essentially about a gang war, enjoyed the second, but thought Jade Legacy just grew a bit directionless with too many geopolitics threads which went for thousands of words just to end up as minor tit for tat details of the clan feud.

General Battuta
Feb 7, 2011

This is how you communicate with a fellow intelligence: you hurt it, you keep on hurting it, until you can distinguish the posts from the screams.
I think the Jade books are at their best when they're closely aping 70s crime lit (including most obviously The Godfather). The martial arts stuff is fine but for me the real meat is drugs, sex, domestic violence and terrible family dynamics. Also food and the relationship between small business and crime.

I should do a Jade City Sopranos fanfic. He never had the makings of a green pillarman

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
When the Tiger Came Down the Mountain (Singing Hills #2) by Nghi Vo - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B087P4CSJF/

Fotress in the Eye of Time (Fortress #1) by CJ Cherryh - $3.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC1S8Q/

tokenbrownguy
Apr 1, 2010

Commonweal book four rocked socks. Eugina taking command of the banner. hell yesssssss

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

tokenbrownguy posted:

Commonweal book four rocked socks. Eugina taking command of the banner. hell yesssssss

Let me just say that if you liked 4, 5 is going to be a treat.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Kalman posted:

Let me just say that if you liked 4, 5 is going to be a treat.

Yeah 5 jumps around a lot in terms of PoV, but Euginia features.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

General Battuta posted:

I think the Jade books are at their best when they're closely aping 70s crime lit (including most obviously The Godfather). The martial arts stuff is fine but for me the real meat is drugs, sex, domestic violence and terrible family dynamics. Also food and the relationship between small business and crime.

I should do a Jade City Sopranos fanfic. He never had the makings of a green pillarman

Fonda Lee has a background in management consulting and it comes through in the books. I like the do-crimes-punch-things side, but if you want a book with some magic (which is small and never expands) and international business relations that is more believable than "Kingdom of Valley Men vs Clan of Daffodil Haters", then the Jade books are pretty much the only choice. The series focus definitely shifts from punches to business over the trilogy, and I love it. I love that this crime family has great plan for doing med schools and media outreach.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

One late one cause you should read this book.

The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NRQRWAA/

Danhenge
Dec 16, 2005

Lead out in cuffs posted:

Yeah 5 jumps around a lot in terms of PoV, but Euginia features.

And Eugenia's moment loving rules

Strategic Tea
Sep 1, 2012

More like Ayt Madon't!!

*cruises off my Zamarra XT5, bumper sticker NO PEAK RULES*

Seriously I love all everyone's made up Cool Cars in the Jade books that are never described or expanded upon in any way :coolfish:

Poldarn
Feb 18, 2011

ulmont posted:

Kindle takes EPUB right now with no issues and that’s the format they’re moving to.

I don't need Calibre to swap things to .mobi anymore? What a great day!

Borachon
Jun 15, 2011

Whiskey Powered

Poldarn posted:

I don't need Calibre to swap things to .mobi anymore? What a great day!

Except Kindle is rejecting the epub I just bought for The March North, so here I am installing calibre to convert the epub to azw3...

EDIT: except Kindle won't upload azw3, so I ended up using calibre to convert epub to... epub.

Borachon fucked around with this message at 01:57 on Oct 10, 2023

withak
Jan 15, 2003

Fun Shoe
I’ve had problems with Amazon and epubs also where just re-epubbing in Calibre fixed it. I think some people may be playing it fast and loose with epub formatting requirements and whatever Amazon uses to import gets hung up on a malformed file that might open fine elsewhere with a more tolerant import tool. I just run a polish on everything now even if it is already epub. I don’t think I have had problems since I started doing that.

withak fucked around with this message at 02:05 on Oct 10, 2023

DurianGray
Dec 23, 2010

King of Fruits

Borachon posted:

Except Kindle is rejecting the epub I just bought for The March North, so here I am installing calibre to convert the epub to azw3...

EDIT: except Kindle won't upload azw3, so I ended up using calibre to convert epub to... epub.

Yeah, last I heard Kindle has dropped support for everything except epub (and I guess PDFs) moving forward. So old files already on there should be fine, but you can't sent over new mobi or azw3, etc. files anymore.

Doktor Avalanche
Dec 30, 2008

DurianGray posted:

Yeah, last I heard Kindle has dropped support for everything except epub (and I guess PDFs) moving forward. So old files already on there should be fine, but you can't sent over new mobi or azw3, etc. files anymore.

What an amazingly braindead thing to do, they could've just added epub support without dropping mobi entirely.

Rand Brittain
Mar 25, 2013

"Go on until you're stopped."
Speaking as someone who's had to get files ready for sales on Amazon, their backend is a nightmare. In particular the Kindle Previewer frequently doesn't resemble how files render on the Kindle at all.

Stupid_Sexy_Flander
Mar 14, 2007

Is a man not entitled to the haw of his maw?
Grimey Drawer
Oh it gets better. In Calibre you can send mobi files to your Kindle via USB, but not epubs. You can mail epubs to your Kindle, but not mobi files.

It's kinda astounding how a multi millionaire dollar company can work at cross purposes with itself.

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
I always just transfer mobi files from computer to Kindle via cable. It also helps that I perpetually keep the device on airplane mode to save battery, which will delay the update for a while.

Absurd Alhazred
Mar 27, 2010

by Athanatos
Yeah, I just use the USB cable. Plus my Paperwhite is old and probably won't get any breaking updates I hope I hope I hope

FPyat
Jan 17, 2020
Fascist Baen writer Tom Kratman is having a silly Twitter meltdown over something or other. With a roster like that, it's a wonder that Bujold writes for them.

Edit: He's now back to harassing the trans woman that he's had a death-grudge with for over twelve years for making fun of his books and giving him a smackdown on a forum site. I've never seen a publisher be so fine with such unprofessional behavior in my lifetime.

FPyat fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 10, 2023

Groke
Jul 27, 2007
New Adventures In Mom Strength
AFAIK it's been a while since Bujold published anything via Baen? Outfit has been going downhill since Jim Baen died, and even more so without Eric Flint.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Groke posted:

AFAIK it's been a while since Bujold published anything via Baen? Outfit has been going downhill since Jim Baen died, and even more so without Eric Flint.

They're reprinting herr Penric books a few at a time.

Collateral
Feb 17, 2010

pradmer posted:

One late one cause you should read this book.

The Library at Mount Char by Scott Hawkins - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00NRQRWAA/

I liked this book a fair bit, but fair warning, it is chock full of abuse.

I'm still unsure how Abracadabra managed to go back and change time when the Carolyn was "the monster" instead of David. Surely he was a pile of bones and ashes. Unless David just never got that far, due to being crap at everything outside of being "the monster." David doesn't reflect well on Abracadabra.

Regression completeness is great concept.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

eVeN I KnOw wHaT CoRnEr gAs iS

fritz posted:

They're reprinting herr Penric books a few at a time.

I think those were all self-published originally?

I used to feel like Baen was, if not good, reliable at its niche but it's really gone downhill? Or at least I haven't paid any attention to their output in years. They always had a few outright vile people they'd publish which I wasn't thrilled with but it feels like the proportion has gone up, or they just can't attract worthwhile non-lunatics anymore.

Psion fucked around with this message at 20:43 on Oct 10, 2023

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Psion posted:

I used to feel like Baen was, if not good, reliable at its niche but it's really gone downhill? Or at least I haven't paid any attention to their output in years. They always had a few outright vile people they'd publish which I wasn't thrilled with but it feels like the proportion has gone up, or they just can't attract worthwhile non-lunatics anymore.
Bujold was always the standout for me; I think I read Honor Harrington for a bit, but nobody else in their lineup. The publishing house overall leaned farther and farther right, and Baen's Bar, their forum, was a cesspit.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

Oh, absolutely. She was in a class of her own as far as any long-term Baen author (which may be why she's letting them do the publishing here? She's been with Baen since the 80s?) but also I'd argue David Drake wrote solid books. Early Weber was alright also. Then... well.

suffice to say I haven't bought or recommended baen in many years and don't feel any urge to reconsider that

Psion fucked around with this message at 22:20 on Oct 10, 2023

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Psion posted:

Oh, absolutely. She was in a class of her own as far as any long-term Baen author (which may be why she's letting them do the publishing here? She's been with Baen since the 80s?) but also I'd argue David Drake wrote solid books. Early Weber was alright also. Then... well.

suffice to say I haven't bought or recommended baen in many years and don't feel any urge to reconsider that

Eh. I don't know if they're still publishing anything there, but Elizabeth Moon and Mercedes Lackey both published a fair bit there. And weird libertarian gun nut he may have been, but I liked Joel Rosenberg's stuff and it's a goddamn pity that he died before finishing Mordred's Heirs.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Fugitive Telemetry (Murderbot #6) by Martha Wells - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B088H926KF/
Translation State by Ann Leckie - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BH4JGLMC/
Good Omens: The Nice and Accurate Prophecies of Agnes Nutter, Witch by Neil Gaiman - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0054LJGWS/
Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman - $4.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FC130E/
The Light Fantastic (Discworld #2) by Terry Pratchett - $2.49 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W914OU/
Mort (Discworld #4) by Terry Pratchett - $2.49 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000W967UQ/
Storming Heaven (Age of Bronze #2) by Miles Cameron - $0.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0BNBC5XHD/
Dragon Keeper (Rain Wilds #1) by Robin Hobb - 4.49 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00338QEUG/
The Handmaid's Tale (#1) by Margaret Atwood - $1.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003JFJHTS/
Memoirs Found in a Bathtub (From the Memoirs of Ijon Tichy #2) by Stanislaw Lem - $2.99 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B008R2JK1S/

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Awkward Davies posted:

This is like going to a michelin starred restaurant and following it up with mcdonalds.

This bullying has worked and I went with A Desolation Called Peace and immediately I feel like Cage walking off the bus in Con Air.

fritz
Jul 26, 2003

Psion posted:

I think those were all self-published originally?

They were put out by Subterranean Press: https://subterraneanpress.com/all-books/?_bc_fsnf=1&authors_list=Lois+McMaster+Bujold

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

NinjaDebugger posted:

Eh. I don't know if they're still publishing anything there, but Elizabeth Moon and Mercedes Lackey both published a fair bit there. And weird libertarian gun nut he may have been, but I liked Joel Rosenberg's stuff and it's a goddamn pity that he died before finishing Mordred's Heirs.
I'm sorry he didn't write more of the series with the chef as protagonist. It didn't sell well enough for more than one sequel, IIRC.

Mercedes Lackey now publishes with Penguin Random House. I don't know about Moon.

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

NinjaDebugger posted:

They published Susan R. Matthews too. Her stuff is 100% the author's fetish, but she's good at it and the worldbuilding is oddly compelling in an awful sort of way.

Psion
Dec 13, 2002

NinjaDebugger posted:

yeah, I went back and checked and my memory of baen authors I've read was very incomplete. A cursory check of some recent books from Moon and Lackey show up as published by Hachette or Del Ray, for what it's worth. Was there some exodus of authors or is it all a string of coincidences? who can say. I think randomly speculating in the book barn is my limit for effort I want to put into the question :v:

Ah, thank you. Not sure why I thought self-pub.

Psion fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 11, 2023

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

Psion posted:

yeah, I went back and checked and my memory of baen authors I've read was very incomplete. A cursory check of some recent books from Moon and Lackey show up as published by Hachette or Del Ray, for what it's worth. Was there some exodus of authors or is it all a string of coincidences? who can say. I think randomly speculating in the book barn is my limit for effort I want to put into the question :v:

Ah, thank you. Not sure why I thought self-pub. Moving into entirely purchasing ebooks makes me even less aware of the publisher, I guess.

Lackey, at least, was always split among publishers, her output for Baen was a very specific series of urbfant involving racer elves in california or something.

Moon published a lot of her best stuff there, though, including The Deed of Paksenarrion.

Bilirubin
Feb 16, 2014

The sanctioned action is to CHUG

algebra testes posted:

This bullying has worked and I went with A Desolation Called Peace and immediately I feel like Cage walking off the bus in Con Air.

Man you speak Tamarian very well!

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

I picked up reading as a regular habit again somewhat recently and after taking entirely too long to trudge through all of The Dark Tower I decided to read something I've always been meaning to get around to: His Dark Materials. After that I followed up with the HBO series.

It's hard not to come to the conclusion that Pullman has as much contempt for his protagonist as he does for the church as an institution. drat.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

I was left with the impression that he had a lot of contempt for his reader.

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

Oh! I can't believe I didn't mention Lee and Miller's Liaden series, which are the only books I still buy from Baen. The best description I can come up with is "space opera of manners". Liad is a society of exquisitely defined manners, and people from off-Liad are fair game. You get exactly what you specify in a deal, and if it turns out to your disadvantage? Your fault. Our heroes are a family which is at the top of the power structure, but also is considered weird by everybody else on Liad. Spy stuff happens, swashbuckling (minus swords) happens, interstellar trade happens. People are described as doing bows "from a junior partner to a Head of House" and talking in High Liaden, Low Liaden, and the trade speech everybody else uses.

There are now 43 Liaden books, and you should save yourselves, for it's far too late for me. You can get an anthology of the first three novels as Partners in Necessity.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Mak0rz
Aug 2, 2008

😎🐗🚬

Arsenic Lupin posted:

I was left with the impression that he had a lot of contempt for his reader.

Yeah I suppose that's one way to put it. I didn't really feel all that slighted (for lack of a better term) by it though. Just, I dunno, bummed out I guess?