Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Guy A. Person
May 23, 2003

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

no idea where Roger came from.

A friend of mine suggested God Valley being unaffiliate with the WG was maybe an island under his protection, so maybe Roger struck a deal to protect innocents in exchange for defeating Rocks

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

Guy A. Person posted:

A friend of mine suggested God Valley being unaffiliate with the WG was maybe an island under his protection, so maybe Roger struck a deal to protect innocents in exchange for defeating Rocks

ok drat thats a good theory

Nodosaur
Dec 23, 2014

I’m sorry I haven’t been reacting lately. I’ve been sick and tired and not in the mood to read or post.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

Nodosaur posted:

I’m sorry I haven’t been reacting lately. I’ve been sick and tired and not in the mood to read or post.

Feel better bud, the pirate comic will still be there tomorrow

Kart Barfunkel
Nov 10, 2009

I love this pirate comic.

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Guy A. Person posted:

So Ivankov's sister Jinny is eating the first time we see her, making me think she's obviously Bonnie's mom right? Which means this backstory is going to get even more tragic, goddamn

that is 100% luffy's mom lol

Baron La Croix
Nov 2, 2010

rastah farah
sonnah maddah fah
If Jinney is indeed Bonney's mother, and Sanji were to end up with her, Ivankov would become Sanji's uncle-in-law. That's a fun scenario.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

tbp posted:

consider bonnie and luffy being siblings

Doctor_Fruitbat
Jun 2, 2013

Goons I'm scared :ohdear:

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
wonder if kuma won the tournament and his prize was the sorbet kingdom. he was dubbed a tyrant because of all the death on god island being attributed to him

also for bonney, the current leader of the sorbet kingdom is an aged up version of her named connie. wonder if thats jinnys mom, since ginny would be like, 50ish

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
Sanji tanked Queen breaking every bone in his body but one hit from Saturn has him completely messed up, drat...

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

Electric Phantasm posted:

i think there's a decent chance of this lol

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

The panel of Kuma seeing his dad get headshotted kinda hosed me up. I feel like Oda is gonna crank the Flashback Brutality Dial to 1000 this time round. This is one of the big ones.

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen

tbp posted:

i think there's a decent chance of this lol

Bonnie would be Luffy's ultimate fight partner if Gear 5's cooldown is gonna turn him into a withered old man every time

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

CharlestonJew posted:

Bonnie would be Luffy's ultimate fight partner if Gear 5's cooldown is gonna turn him into a withered old man every time
Okay we got a DPS and a healer for the Mariejois Raid, but who’s gonna tank??

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

this chapter was loving wild btw.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs
Vegapunk calls Bonnie 'just a child' again, makes you wonder what her true age is

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

young croc reveal?

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

tbp posted:

this chapter was loving wild btw.

Having two weeks to chew on all this plus comparing tcb and official translations is gonna drive me insane.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

Cat Machine posted:

The panel of Kuma seeing his dad get headshotted kinda hosed me up. I feel like Oda is gonna crank the Flashback Brutality Dial to 1000 this time round. This is one of the big ones.

:hmmyes: I actually didn't realize this is what happened until I read this post and went back to reread, and now I, too, am hosed up.

mabels big day
Feb 25, 2012

this flashback is already hurting me and now we have Ivankov here to cleanse my soul. I love him so much

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

cant believe ivankov let all that giants blood go to his head

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

:piss:

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

it would certainly give a lot more depth to Saobody. Although that also can just be chalked up to Kuma's early fascination with Nika.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Kuma starting and ending his life as a slave is already insanely hosed up as it is, but you just know whatever happened inbetween is somehow gonna taste even more bitter.

You can straight up feel Oda’s rage in this chapter man. I thinm One Piece needs to have a chapter that’s just 17 pages of Luffy pummelling Celestials before it ends

ragnarokette posted:

it would certainly give a lot more depth to Saobody. Although that also can just be chalked up to Kuma's early fascination with Nika.
This chapter feels like it’s drawing together a bunch of threads that began in the end of Thriller Bark/Saobody and followed thru Marineford. A lot of things are gonna connect together into one cohesive narrative. I got a feeing in my bones Crocodile is gonna show up in some capacity. crocomom time

Cat Machine fucked around with this message at 19:13 on Oct 11, 2023

Real Cool Catfish
Jun 6, 2011
That’s a drat good chapter.

MorningMoon
Dec 29, 2013

He's been tapping into Aunt May's bank account!
Didn't I kill him with a HELICOPTER?

:stare:, :dogstare: even

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Do you think Luffy will get a sword and spear to match the Nika silhouette

HerraS
Apr 15, 2012

Looking professional when committing genocide is essential. This is mostly achieved by using a beret.

Olive drab colour ensures the genocider will remain hidden from his prey until it's too late for them to do anything.

He'll have two pieces of meat

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

What a time for a Flashback. While obviously God Valley is the "holy poo poo" part of all this, Franky punching Luffy to save him and laughing at Saturn was so cool. I love Franky. Feels like Sanji was Worf'd in comparison, just proving that the energy field was really loving strong.

I love it when someone who really has no business opposing a massive power just loving does it anyway. See Bonney last chapter, Brook vs Big Mom, Franky running over Big Mom in his motorcycle, etc.

ragnarokette posted:

If Jinny is Luffy and Bonney's mother, they would still have different fathers. But yeah, if Kuma had a kid with Jinny, I imagine he'd at least care a bit about her other kid.

If Bonney is actually a child, and Jinny is her mother, she would have had a kid with Dragon first if she was also Luffy's mother.

If all this is true, Ivankov is Luffy's uncle (and definitely Bonney's uncle).

Bonney would have the Buccaneer bloodline and Luffy wouldn't.

Interesting to think about! I wonder how Dragon enters the picture. Garp brings his kid to work? That would explain a lot about Dragon if Garp was trying to push him to join the Navy during this. As pointed out, it's pretty irredeemably hosed up if Garp was actually running security for this atrocity.

I'm not sure I like the story of Jinny having a kid with Dragon, and then, while Dragon and while Dragon is still around having a kid with Kuma. Like, it's realistically plausible and there's nothing wrong with it, but it feels a bit weird for this kind of story somehow. But that said, I really like the idea of Bonney being Luffy's little biological half sister. That's a relationship they could have fun with.

Umm, assuming they don't use it to just totally gently caress with our emotions because Bonney is not in a good situation right now. I'm so glad Kuma is flying to this island to rescue his daughter as we speak. He would never abandon her, right?

Eiba fucked around with this message at 20:54 on Oct 11, 2023

Sindai
Jan 24, 2007
i want to achieve immortality through not dying
It's gonna be real satisfying when this flashback is over and Kuma arrives to throw down with Saturn.

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Kuma gonna put a paw-shaped hole in Saturn’s big stupid face

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

tbp posted:

So bonny is Luffy's brother? Because that makes so much loving sense

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

Yeah this

IceBorg
Oct 23, 2012

I KINDA DOUBT THAT!
I wonder how many years ago this was before the Roger and Garp vs Rocks thing at the island because the fact the little girl has freckles and is eating meat could also be because she's Ace mom who we know had freckles. The name is different but being a former slave she might have changed it.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Curious if Kuma or Luffy is going to be the first one to punch Saturn. Also where are people getting the idea that Jinny is possibly Luffy’s mom in addition to Bonney’s?

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

IceBorg posted:

I wonder how many years ago this was before the Roger and Garp vs Rocks thing at the island because the fact the little girl has freckles and is eating meat could also be because she's Ace mom who we know had freckles. The name is different but being a former slave she might have changed it.

this is literally the lead up to the god Valley incident. It's going down here and now in this flashback.

Also yeah it seems like a good guess that Ginny/Jinny is Bonney's mom. Which might make Ivankov Bonney's uncle if they're literally brother and sister

Another theory I have seen is that we might see Crocodile as a child slave, and this was his hidden past that ivankovwas holding over his head

Julias fucked around with this message at 21:01 on Oct 11, 2023

Marluxia
May 8, 2008

drat, I can't believe we finally get the return of Gin and he's Luffy and Bonney's mom.

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

IceBorg posted:

This is it, isn't it? The God Valley incident. 38 years ago.

That's why we're all hyped here- this flashback is going to end with motherfucking Kaido, Big Mom, Whitebeard, Xebec, Roger, and Garp all throwing down. It's going to be insane. This has got to be the most hyped flashback in the whole series.

Ace was born 22 years ago.

Julias posted:

Another theory I have seen is that we might see Crocodile as a child slave, and this was his hidden past that ivankovwas holding over his head

This is a very good theory! Either a child slave, or a child Tenryubito! Either way, I'd like it because the gender change (if there's still a gender change involved) would be incidental to the secret, and he's not just threatening to out a trans person.

Eiba fucked around with this message at 21:03 on Oct 11, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Julias posted:

Agreed. Someone posted on here recently that "being a woman" wouldn't be enough dirt for Iva to shame Croc into silence, but it was right before Impel Down that we established that people will do literally anything they can to hide the fact they were enslaved by the Celestials.