Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
You could also pretty easily flesh out the sequel Year of the Griffin into a full on magic school series.

I'm honestly a bit surprised it was never really optioned during the big wave of Harry Potter fever.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Stopped reading about 15 pages ago to skip ahead: does anyone else get the sense that Rand's polygamy wouldn't play well so they'll pair off Aviendha with Perrin and Min with Mat? Obviously a huge change in many respects but would cut down on an ever-increasing cast and avoid the whole harem quagmire.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

regulargonzalez posted:

Stopped reading about 15 pages ago to skip ahead: does anyone else get the sense that Rand's polygamy wouldn't play well so they'll pair off Aviendha with Perrin and Min with Mat? Obviously a huge change in many respects but would cut down on an ever-increasing cast and avoid the whole harem quagmire.

They already cast Faile so the first seems very unlikely at this point.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

regulargonzalez posted:

I recall an interview or AMA or something with Rafe where he said they wanted to keep the poly aspect but change it to something a lot less harem fantasy and more something that all parties are invested in.

I tried to find it a few weeks ago but couldn't so it's entirely possible I'm remembering something wrong.

But I definitely don't get the vibe that Aviendha has any romantic interest in Perrin. Bain might tho.

Chiad will not care.

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.

regulargonzalez posted:

No I think that's why they had included the gay/poly warders earlier on, to balance out the rand poly thing.

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed

Killer robot posted:

They already cast Faile so the first seems very unlikely at this point.

If there ever was a character that could have been safely cut this would have been it.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Oasx posted:

If there ever was a character that could have been safely cut this would have been it.

Gawyn. He's just so pointless. Which I get it's the whole subversion of the Prince Main Character trope but gently caress he's just so dumb and full of idiotic betrayal.

Devorum
Jul 30, 2005

CainFortea posted:

Gawyn. He's just so pointless. Which I get it's the whole subversion of the Prince Main Character trope but gently caress he's just so dumb and full of idiotic betrayal.

Dude lived stupid and died stupid. Not a single braincell in that head.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Devorum posted:

it's genetic

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Devorum posted:

He is not Kenough.

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~

CainFortea posted:

He is not Kenough.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

regulargonzalez posted:

From Here:

quote:

Question
will Rand's romance plot remain close to the books? I mean, liking one girl at first but ending up with three in the end?
Rafe Judkins
No
Rafe Judkins (5 hours later)
Let’s just say I’m much more interested in polyamory than polygamy. And maybe give me a little more credit than assuming I’m gonna gut that entire story and ruin everything off a one word answer? ;)

Note: The above one-word "No" response generated some fan disgruntlement and backlash, which led to Judkins returning to clarify his answer.[2]

vvvvvvvvvv

nine-gear crow posted:

"The lack of commitment to bigamy on the part of the showrunners generated outrage among fans" is certainly... a thing... I guess.
It’s why I included the note :)
I mean I get it from a „staying true to the books“ standpoint, but taking it 1:1 from the books would really not go over well nowadays.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 07:21 on Oct 12, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

"The lack of commitment to bigamy on the part of the showrunners generated outrage among fans" is certainly... a thing... I guess.

NinjaDebugger
Apr 22, 2008

KilGrey posted:

I’m trying to remember a depressing as gently caress series I read when I was young…gay protagonist with a magic horse? Another of her series was weird and had Griffins and poo poo. I just remember them being very dark and sad.

You are remembering the last herald mage trilogy. It is, in fact, pretty depressing.

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Mercedes Lackey is a talented writer that writes depressing stuff. If you’re into that, enjoy, else avoid. She’s like an older, grimmer, sadder Seanan McGuire writing mostly pure fantasy instead of urban fantasy.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Man they need to rename The Gathering Storm the Egwene Al Vera Own Zone

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

CainFortea posted:

Yeah TGS is chapter after chapter of escalating plotlines and it's keeps awkwardly braking to talk about this Gawayn idiot.

We don't need to know about him! He sucks!

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

you: theres nothing the show can offer me that the books don’t also provide

Me:

Rarity
Oct 21, 2010

~*4 LIFE*~
Just reread Verin's final scene. So many tears.

"Your soul is Brown" :cry:

theblackw0lf
Apr 15, 2003

"...creating a vision of the sort of society you want to have in miniature"
Starting to see more reactions, and positive ones, from higher profile critics. Like this one from Kathryn VanArendonk.

https://twitter.com/vulture/status/1712151936701534395?s=46

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

buffalo all day posted:

you: theres nothing the show can offer me that the books don’t also provide

Me:

She might be showing too much rounded flesh but goddamn if she doesn't have a well-turned, uh... I ran out of RJ adjectives

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Comrade Blyatlov posted:

She might be showing too much rounded flesh but goddamn if she doesn't have a well-turned, uh... I ran out of RJ adjectives

Fifty four page bath scene making more sense

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Big Mutha Truckers 2 posted:

Just reread Verin's final scene. So many tears.

"Your soul is Brown" :cry:
i'm pretty sure Egwene says the opposite

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Nihilarian posted:

i'm pretty sure Egwene says the opposite

You're correct; Verin says tell everyone my soul was brown and Egwene says no, it's as white as the light. That always bugged me. Let Verin be her chosen ajah! The light doesn't need to be pure white.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Brandon Sanderson is doing a live stream tonight with Matt Hatch and Daniel Greene to discuss the season finale if anyone is interested. (I guess Greene is a YouTuber and I think Hatch does the Dusty Wheel YouTube?)

https://www.youtube.com/live/ylnkmh6BZtU?si=B4xWkXqW0dETGoMy

Goes live in about 6 hours.

KilGrey fucked around with this message at 20:58 on Oct 12, 2023

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I believe Greene is a published author as well, on top of being a youtuber

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

Nihilarian posted:

I believe Greene is a published author as well, on top of being a youtuber

Yeah but the YouTube came first.

That said he's a big WoT fan and he seems like a decent guy -- not a chud . He was barely positive about the first season -essentially saying that it had a lot ofnroom to improve -- but has been grudgingly enthusiastic about the second.

KilGrey
Mar 13, 2005

You know how to whistle, don't you, Steve? Just put your lips together and blow...

Holy poo poo! I just checked out The Dusty Wheel. Some of their episode reactions clock in at over 6 hours? I love WoT as much as the next person, but I can’t imagine what there is to talk about for 6 hours straight, even as a show enjoyer. Even the shorter ones are a few hours. Are they worth a watch?

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Thread getting horny

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Further into TGS (ala the Egwene Al Vera Own Zone) and I feel like the dialogue heavy, long speeches that knock people back with their eruditeness, thing that Sanderson is doing is kinda breaking my immersion a little. A little too perfect protagonist thing. It's a bit noticeable with Egwene and Elaida's confrontation for example.

Jordan did a bit of that, esp with Mat. But with Jordan usually it's bracketed with heaps of personal narration counteracting what's actually being said, dampening the stilted Mary Sue/John Galt speech pitfalls. Not saying it's happening here, just that Sanderson's style makes me more aware of the possibility.

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

KilGrey posted:

Are they worth a watch?

KilGrey posted:

Some of their episode reactions clock in at over 6 hours?

I think you answered your own question.

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

KilGrey posted:

Holy poo poo! I just checked out The Dusty Wheel. Some of their episode reactions clock in at over 6 hours? I love WoT as much as the next person, but I can’t imagine what there is to talk about for 6 hours straight, even as a show enjoyer. Even the shorter ones are a few hours. Are they worth a watch?
The 6 hours is usually 1 hour ahead of the episode - discussing predictions, etc., 1 hour simply watching the episode (they have a timer up if you want to sync your live viewing with their live reaction) and then 3-4 hours of discussing the episode with various guests. So you get a lot of theories, impressions, discussions, etc. They also do some call-ins from random people. After 4 hours or so you will have done a pretty deep deep dive into everything that happened in that episode.

But yes, that is a long time. If you have time and/or need a distraction/something running in the background they are usually quite good.

DTurtle fucked around with this message at 21:54 on Oct 12, 2023

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

I mean, between my private chats, forum posts, discord chats, and making/sharing memes, I probably spend the same amount of time per episode talking about the episode. But I can not watch someone else just talking about it for that long.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

thrawn527 posted:

I think you answered your own question.

They go way too deep in the weeds for me but if you want what they're selling they have lots of it.

I appreciated their takedown of the "rj would've cast aryans in every role" shitheads. Hatch went through in detail start to finish including background notes etc. And explained why and how WoT was always envisioned as a multi racial epic, egwene and Perrin were always "brown", etc.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Shageletic posted:

Thread getting horny

Robert Jordan shelters this thread in the sweaty palm of his hand.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

Man I was chuckling when I found out the Aes Sedai test requires nudity

E: at least for Moiraine

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

buffalo all day posted:

There is always horny in the Wheel of Time

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

DarkHorse posted:

There is always horny in the Wheel of Time

I just got to Cadsuane....speaking Semirhage Jesus christ. I barked out laughing in public for that one

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

They go way too deep in the weeds for me but if you want what they're selling they have lots of it.

I appreciated their takedown of the "rj would've cast aryans in every role" shitheads. Hatch went through in detail start to finish including background notes etc. And explained why and how WoT was always envisioned as a multi racial epic, egwene and Perrin were always "brown", etc.

Got a link to that by chance? I have an intense hunger to see people ruthlessly poo poo on people like Shad Brooks for being trinary hybrid Racism, Misogyny and Queerphobia Elementals. Gross cocksmears like that can't get dunked on enough as far as I'm concerned.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound

nine-gear crow posted:

Got a link to that by chance? I have an intense hunger to see people ruthlessly poo poo on people like Shad Brooks for being trinary hybrid Racism, Misogyny and Queerphobia Elementals. Gross cocksmears like that can't get dunked on enough as far as I'm concerned.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sr7lDwNU770

Easiest link I could find is actually Daniel Greene and Mat Hatch working together.