Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

https://reddit.com/r/Jujutsufolk/s/OCS8OEp9yS

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

lol at all this and the comments

Fabricated
Apr 9, 2007

Living the Dream
Gojo limiting himself to being a mostly good boy in the image of pre-insanity Geto when that's not what he is, and that being his downfall is funny because with all of the "be true to your nature" talk that means Sukuna's outlook on life in his advice to Jougo and Kashimo is right.

Pootybutt
Apr 5, 2011

Fax my boi!

Spit yo poo poo indeed!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

That's funny, but I opened that sub-reddit and got this, and it's the best Higuruma meme I've seen yet: https://www.reddit.com/r/Jujutsufolk/comments/173nyfi/can_it_actually_happen/

EDIT: Unfortunately every single reply I'm seeing is a weird arguably racist Biden meme??? So I guess, uh, you win some, you lose some.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

That's funny, but I opened that sub-reddit and got this, and it's the best Higuruma meme I've seen yet: https://www.reddit.com/r/Jujutsufolk/comments/173nyfi/can_it_actually_happen/

EDIT: Unfortunately every single reply I'm seeing is a weird arguably racist Biden meme??? So I guess, uh, you win some, you lose some.

I would love this

*Mahoraga transforming into Phoenix Wright*

"It's already adapted!?"

Ghosthotel
Dec 27, 2008

Just caught up on this thread and my thoughts on it are:

The gojo death is cool as an idea but in execution it’s just kind of lame. It retroactively kills the fun push and pull we had going of “it’s so over / we’re so back” to have gojo die off screen. Yeah sukuna has been built up as the strongest curse user ever but so has Gojo for the modern era. It’s been a lot of build up for both of these to fight at their absolute limit and while I don’t have a problem with the idea of Gojo never standing a chance we haven’t really had time to reflect on it. The story has moved on immediately with sukuna getting a 100% heal and now we’re getting some game master anthony poo poo where everyone brings it in for a huge party (and dies???)

Don’t know who mentioned it specifically in this thread but the culling games and this arc in particular have really felt like some calvin ball poo poo which i’m used to happening to some degree with shounen manga but the degree to which it’s happening here really does feel like the rules can change at any moment and it’s not super interesting to read imo

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

He's gonna die, alas, which is a pity because he's the most interesting character Gege introduced in a long time. But we've literally already seen a way for Sukuna to bypass his domain (breaking it from outside now that he's gotten back his mojo, thanks to his own insanely strong domain) and even if he doesn't get to use it because Gojo's debuff miraculously sticks and he somehow hasn't devised a way to talk himself out of cursed technique suppression + execution, he has just gotten a cursed tool that he can use to chomp people from afar that Higuruma has no defense from.

I think Gege may let Higuruma survive because he’s basically Geto if he hadn’t turned genocidal. Both of them operated within a rigged system where they chose to protect the weak and grew resentful overtime. Even their techniques are similar in that they’re both essentially curses unto themselves: Geto having to literally consume negative emotions to grow stronger, and Higuruma’s domain expansion being the rigged Japanese justice system with him being the prosecutor while standing beside an impartial and blind judge - the personification of everything he hates.

The difference is that Higuruma found redemption through Yuji while Geto never did. Higuruma’s backstory is basically a microcosm of JJK, I think it would be an odd choice to kill him with all the themes presented.

*next chapter opens with Higuruma lying bisected on the ground*

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

yum posted:

I think Gege may let Higuruma survive because he’s basically Geto if he hadn’t turned genocidal. Both of them operated within a rigged system where they chose to protect the weak and grew resentful overtime. Even their techniques are similar in that they’re both essentially curses unto themselves: Geto having to literally consume negative emotions to grow stronger, and Higuruma’s domain expansion being the rigged Japanese justice system with him being the prosecutor while standing beside an impartial and blind judge - the personification of everything he hates.

The difference is that Higuruma found redemption through Yuji while Geto never did. Higuruma’s backstory is basically a microcosm of JJK, I think it would be an odd choice to kill him with all the themes presented.

*next chapter opens with Higuruma lying bisected on the ground*

On the other hand, he's already said that he's gonna turn himself in after this is all over, and what better way to turn himself in than doing it in a mindscape while Sukuna watches and grumbles that the legal system was simpler during his time?

Taima
Dec 31, 2006

tfw you're peeing next to someone in the lineup and they don't know
I have an Always Sunny pepe silvia "string connecting things together in JJK" wall and after the recent chapter I am confident I know the ending.

Higaruma confiscates Sukuna's CT, causing a fist fight between Yuji and Sukuna (this is the completely obvious setup since Yuji is so durable in a fight).

Right in the middle of a fight, with no explanation or warning, we are dropped into the Afterlife, again.

Yuji says "Sukuna could have beaten me with 1 finger, this is good for the story for me to say this"

Sukuna suddenly appears above Yuji and plummets downward through the air into a table, shattering it, before passing out. Gojo, Yuji and everyone is stunned. Cut to Nobara, also dead, also stunned. She's drinking tea and drops it on the ground, the cup shatters in slow motion.

What happened? Hear me out: decapitated suddenly. Off screen obviously because who wants to draw that, Gege hasn't had it in him to draw the conclusion to a fight for a hot minute, in favor of shifting to a realm with, coincidentally, a white background and therefore easy to draw.

Cut back to the living world, and we see it: that dude whose curse technique is having a loving real, actual propeller from a loving helicopter on his head in real life slumps against the ground; Sukuna's neck was so durable that it broke the propeller while it was traveling through.

Both helicoptor guy and Sukuna die together simultaneously in a heap while Yuta wails offscreen. Genjaku also appears in the Easy to Draw Realm and goes "wow you guys should have seen the dope fight that took me out, that was nuts, probably the best shonen fight. Even better than when I survived a literal black hole for Reasons". End credits

No Wave posted:

Is it common to call Kenjaku Geto? Cause if so man that is confusing.

Genjaku

Taima fucked around with this message at 15:29 on Oct 10, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Is it common to call Kenjaku Geto? Cause if so man that is confusing.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.

https://twitter.com/ayaygeto/status/1710731142180086230?s=46&t=Yntt7G3i9J81WH8r8EaHnw

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Helicopter head got killed by the US military (remember them?)

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

That was such a bizarre plot point that I'm not sure it's good or bad it got wrapped up so fast.

Char
Jan 5, 2013
I personally think having to work with a cliffhanger every 16-20 pages is doing an author a disservice.
When I'll be re-reading the Sukuna fight one year from today, I'm pretty sure having Kashimo last 30 pages won't be anything anomalous - this is like Frieza skipping his 3rd form, in the end the narrative was to show that he was completely above any deus ex machina Vegeta, Piccolo and Gohan could pull out.

(I might be biased because I think the only two times JJK has dipped in quality were Hakari's first culling fight and Maki's random compressed training arc.)

Char fucked around with this message at 19:07 on Oct 10, 2023

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Happy birthday, Naruto!

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
I can't tell if that is supposed to be some kind of next-level burn or it's just the wrong thread.

EDIT: Naruto is childish in many ways and had plenty of bad parts, especially near the end, but I like it, btw.

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

Naruto was fine, like many shounen properties it went longer than it needed to and had to invent increasingly insane villains to match the heroes' prowess, but it was solid shounen. Bleach failed miserably and JJK is treading dangerously close to those waters.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

Naruto might be a little better than "fine".

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

sad that narutos boyfriend isn't celebrating his birthday...but the furry is

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Naruto actually looks better in hindsight the more years that pass and more familiar I got with manga as a medium.

Particularly the art and character designs. Really top-tier.

Tosk
Feb 22, 2013

I am sorry. I have no vices for you to exploit.

Naruto was great up until Shippuuden and then good up until Nagato reversed all the narrative tension from the Konoha Invasion arc by reviving everyone he killed. Then it kinda sucked up until the end with the brief bright spot of Gai vs Madara being loving awesome.

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I can't tell if that is supposed to be some kind of next-level burn or it's just the wrong thread.

EDIT: Naruto is childish in many ways and had plenty of bad parts, especially near the end, but I like it, btw.

I'll admit I was poking a little fun at how people compare JJK and Naruto because of surface level similarities (3 person group with a goofball, overly serious dude, and scarily strong woman, all mentored by cool dude senior that always wears a mask, etc.)

Ytlaya posted:

Particularly the art and character designs. Really top-tier.

I'm actually reading Naruto now for the first time after catching up to the anime at the pre-Shippuden filler! I totally agree with the love for the character design but I'm at the penultimate arc and everyone's wearing uniforms. Lame!

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

edit: thought this was the chainsawman thread T_T

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Tosk posted:

Naruto was great up until Shippuuden and then good up until Nagato reversed all the narrative tension from the Konoha Invasion arc by reviving everyone he killed. Then it kinda sucked up until the end with the brief bright spot of Gai vs Madara being loving awesome.

Even in the later parts it was still high-tier for a shounen. Like it definitely wasn't nearly as good as the earlier stuff, but it still compares favorably with most other shounen.

Flair
Apr 5, 2016

Gologle posted:

Will this thread ever come to grips with Nobara being dead as hell

Some people still think Gojo and/or Kashimo are still alive, so probably not

cgfreak
Jan 2, 2013

The Notorious ZSB posted:

Naruto was fine, like many shounen properties it went longer than it needed to and had to invent increasingly insane villains to match the heroes' prowess, but it was solid shounen. Bleach failed miserably and JJK is treading dangerously close to those waters.

I feel this unnecessarily harsh but it's personal opinion or course. I'm still hype for JJK chapters and am really curious as to how Gege wants to finish this because I don't really have a clue where they're going and that's exciting in and of itself.

The "okay i'm completely checked out, just finish it already so it's over and he can rest" anologue to Bleach in 2023 is definitely MHA to me. Just like Bleach it started out really exciting with a world you want to learn a lot more about, then it got lost in power levels, laser spam and completely nonsensical/unfinished plots. Such a shame.

Lamebot
Sep 8, 2005

ロボ顔菌~♡

Flair posted:

Some people still think Gojo and/or Kashimo are still alive, so probably not

Grandpa Itadori is set to make his comeback.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

cgfreak posted:

I feel this unnecessarily harsh but it's personal opinion or course. I'm still hype for JJK chapters and am really curious as to how Gege wants to finish this because I don't really have a clue where they're going and that's exciting in and of itself.

The "okay i'm completely checked out, just finish it already so it's over and he can rest" anologue to Bleach in 2023 is definitely MHA to me. Just like Bleach it started out really exciting with a world you want to learn a lot more about, then it got lost in power levels, laser spam and completely nonsensical/unfinished plots. Such a shame.

As much as I don't like how MHA is now, it still hasn't quite reached "late-game Bleach" levels of bad.

Late Bleach is literally written like someone doing a deliberate parody of absurd shounen fights.

Asuron
Nov 27, 2012
I read the last Bleach arc again because of the new season, to see what they changed. Anyone who actually thinks JJK or MHA or even Naruto even comes close to the awfulness of that last arc as it came out are just flat out wrong.

I dare you to sit down and read it again just to see how bad a comparison y’all are making, I actually almost had to drop it when it hit the Royal Guards part. The Mayuri vs Pernida one especially stands out as I had to skim over because it was just so bad

Asuron fucked around with this message at 11:01 on Oct 12, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
The best part of bleach was when there was a villain that said "What if your bones were made of cookies?" And then the girl's bones were made of cookies. And also then that girl didn't exist because she never existed.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013
The funniest part of Bleach was when the power-up for Kenpachi during Hueco Mundo was just "oh, I'm gonna try two-handing my katana".

yum
Oct 27, 2005

to someone like
you.
the funniest part of Bleach was Chad

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I don't recall him, is that the guy who never lost a fi hahaha nah forget it I can't even finish the joke. God they really did that guy so loving dirty.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

Asuron posted:

I read the last Bleach arc again because of the new season, to see what they changed. Anyone who actually thinks JJK or MHA or even Naruto even comes close to the awfulness of that last arc as it came out are just flat out wrong.

I dare you to sit down and read it again just to see how bad a comparison y’all are making, I actually almost had to drop it when it hit the Royal Guards part. The Mayuri vs Pernida one especially stands out as I had to skim over because it was just so bad

yeah the final arc of bleach is an unmitigated disaster that somehow manages to get consistently worse. it's unreal

like naruto fell off but bleach nosedived into the ground. I could see mha topping naruto if it's not careful but no shot is it overtaking bleach. jjk isn't even on the same plane of existence

The Notorious ZSB
Apr 19, 2004

I SAID WE'RE NOT GONNA BE FUCKING SUCK THIS YEAR!!!

cgfreak posted:

Oh its not really there, but its been running right up to the line of awful non sensical rushed sequences and plot points. I'm far more interested in JJK than I am for MHA and Bleach just kinda sharted itself at the end, I was still kinda interested, it just became impossible to follow or care about with how he presented the story. JJK ain't that, he's just playing with some of its pitfalls to me without falling in, final judgment yet to be seen.

MHA has always been such a pale pastiche of shounen to me I've never really understood its enormous popularity. I find it intensely boring at all times (still reading it cause its part of the SJ app, but yeah never been impressed). I'd much rather have an ambitious thing fail than just to be the wonder bread of shounen. In this regard Bleach and JJK are still ahead of MHA for me.

The Notorious ZSB fucked around with this message at 15:44 on Oct 12, 2023

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
poor reader response to the more innovative parts combined with the artist’s failing health basically resulted in everything interesting in MHA being sanded away over the last few years

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

what were the innovative parts

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

UnderFreddy posted:

what were the innovative parts

People apparently basically just turned off any time it focused on side characters or less fighty bits.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

MHA felt like by the book shonen with awkward dips into brutal abuse subplots with Eri and Endeavor. I stopped reading around the time multiple man split like crazy.

No Wave fucked around with this message at 16:36 on Oct 12, 2023