Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Bleck
Jan 7, 2014

No matter how one loves, there are always different aims. Love can take a great many forms, whatever the era.

No Wave posted:

We know blackbeard doesnt have a normal body.

Yeah, because it's full of his siblings and nanomachines.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Newest chapter: Oda keeps making the World Nobles and Gorosei (and thus Imu) look more and more evil. I want to know what the gently caress was up with Rocks that makes him somehow bad enough that Roger and Garp team up against him. Because if Rocks shows up and says “I’m gonna kill every single person on this island with my bare hands” it is still objectively not worse than what the Nobles want, it just now includes the Nobles. This also applies to Blackbeard. I think he’s supposed to be a villain but all he has done is encourage Luffy and carry on Whitebeard’s legacy.

ragnarokette
Oct 7, 2021

No Wave posted:

We know blackbeard doesnt have a normal body. That and the never sleeping is almost all we know.

Man it's time for me to reread everything cause that's the second Obvious Thing I Should Have Remembered in one chapter :cripes:

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

U-DO Burger posted:

huh, Garling is the only Celestial Dragon without a bubble helmet. I wonder what's up with that

another poster suggested that maybe the CDs somehow sustain the Gorosei/Imu. I think it would be very fitting if the CDs are fed this story of being intrinsically superior and are given slaves, the best food, and even their own air supply but it's not actually for their own betterment, it's so that they make for better sustenance for the elders. Garland has no helmet because he is either not of pure enough blood or has earned an exemption from this fate through his direct service to the elders.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Those quick unceremonious panels of Kumas dad getting more and more hosed up and then just killed is some of the darkest poo poo Odas ever drawn.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

U-DO Burger posted:

huh, Garling is the only Celestial Dragon without a bubble helmet. I wonder what's up with that

The five Elders also don't bother with it. Presumably they are above the stupid idea that you should not breathe the air of the lower world.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

tbp posted:

is there a chance blackbeard is a buccaneer? he and kuma have similar features

maybe the reason kuma can act on his own even when he was supposed to have all of his memories wiped is because he has two wills/souls, and thats how blackbeard can do it too

Lpzie posted:

Those quick unceremonious panels of Kumas dad getting more and more hosed up and then just killed is some of the darkest poo poo Odas ever drawn.

i feel like after endless suffering, kuma is due for one single moment of joy. an absolutely tragic, horrible life... but there's always a glimmer of hope no matter what.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

Double post

Irony Be My Shield fucked around with this message at 22:15 on Oct 12, 2023

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Newest chapter: Oda keeps making the World Nobles and Gorosei (and thus Imu) look more and more evil. I want to know what the gently caress was up with Rocks that makes him somehow bad enough that Roger and Garp team up against him. Because if Rocks shows up and says “I’m gonna kill every single person on this island with my bare hands” it is still objectively not worse than what the Nobles want, it just now includes the Nobles. This also applies to Blackbeard. I think he’s supposed to be a villain but all he has done is encourage Luffy and carry on Whitebeard’s legacy.
Yeah, this is one of the biggest question I have about the series - what are 'good' Marines like Garp so afraid of that they see supporting the World Government as a better option? And why was even Roger convinced to join them on this occasion? The only thing that comes to mind is that Rocks wanted to bring in Kaido-style survival of the strongest carnage, but how exactly would he have achieved that at God Valley?

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Silver2195 posted:

But again, Kuma is 47, so Bonney can’t be that old. Unless “Queen Dowager Connie” is Bonney’s true identity, and she regressed to childhood due to losing control of her Devil Fruit powers somehow, rather than being Kuma’s actual daughter. Seems needlessly convoluted, though.

Edit: I guess Oda could theoretically do a dumb sexist punchline along the lines of “She looks 24, but she’s actually an old hag of 29!” But say what you will about One Piece’s portrayal of women, it’s actually free from that particular prejudice; Hancock is 31.

Hes done that joke in reverse with Kureha anyway. Im not 130, im a sprightly 129

Viridiant
Nov 7, 2009

Big PP Energy
Whatever the One Piece is, I hope it also has some meat with it because Luffy has never really cared about gold, and I want him to be happy.

junan_paalla
Dec 29, 2009

Seriously, do drugs

Viridiant posted:

Whatever the One Piece is, I hope it also has some meat with it because Luffy has never really cared about gold, and I want him to be happy.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A81DYZh6KaQ
but luffy

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

PringleCreamEgg posted:

im thinking garp completely incidentally chased roger onto god valley in the middle of rocks attacking the celestial dragons and both garp and roger just straight up didnt know what was going on

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

gods valley is so fascinating because whatever happened there had to be crazy for garp and roger to intervene but couldnt have been TOO crazy or else he wouldnt have remained on decent terms with whitebeard in the future from the event

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Yeah, this is one of the biggest question I have about the series - what are 'good' Marines like Garp so afraid of that they see supporting the World Government as a better option? And why was even Roger convinced to join them on this occasion? The only thing that comes to mind is that Rocks wanted to bring in Kaido-style survival of the strongest carnage, but how exactly would he have achieved that at God Valley?

Whatever it is, Luffy isn’t gonna think twice, he’s gonna say gently caress That and punch it into orbit. And that’s why he’s the Pirate King and will surpass Roger and Joyboy

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

scary ghost dog posted:

im thinking garp completely incidentally chased roger onto god valley in the middle of rocks attacking the celestial dragons and both garp and roger just straight up didnt know what was going on

garp becoming the hero of the marines on accident would be amazing lol

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

*In Urahara voice* The celestial dragons are the lynch pin of this world

ThingOne
Jul 30, 2011

Would you like some tofu?

Took me several read-throughs to notice the gun-hat

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

ThingOne posted:

We’ve met a gun that’s eaten a dog fruit. Now it’s time for the gun that ate a human fruit.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

ThingOne posted:

There's also some dude that's like putting his hair together to make a sharp edge...

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
RE: Kuma My guess is some CD feeds him the fruit because he wants to laugh at the dumbass paw pads his slave has and finds out very quickly that it is a bad idea

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK
I wonder if we're going to go on some esoteric journey where we find that corrupting the decedents of the saints who founded the WG is the delicious sin upon which the demonic 5 Stars and Im feed.

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017

scary ghost dog posted:

Yeah, I'm guessing its similar to Smoky chasing Luffy and Co into Alabasta and being pissed off enough about the circumstances to team up with them. Difference is Garp would be going against the Government directly rather than a rogue government warlord. I do think think the Marines v Pirates dynamic that was established early on gets a little confusing in hindsight as far as what the "likeable" Marine characters know about the overall situation. In the start it was more like a Tom and Jerry relationship but now I'm wondering why Kody doesn't just join the revolution straight up.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
i think kuma is still a slave, at least in his mind

BrownPepper
Dec 30, 2017
Is Dragon somehow on the give Kuma/Pacafistas command chain?

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool
what if gol d roger saved the celestial dragons because there were a bunch of babies along with them and one of them happened to be shanks. he thinks the celestial dragons are monstrous but the children didnt do anything wrong, and shanks becomes proof of that

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

CharlestonJew posted:

RE: Kuma My guess is some CD feeds him the fruit because he wants to laugh at the dumbass paw pads his slave has and finds out very quickly that it is a bad idea

Feeding a person a devil fruit means you are forcing a weakness onto them and can disable them with seastone whenever you want. Its not like Boa was able to cause havoc in Marie jois with her fruit

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

anime was right posted:

i think kuma is still a slave, at least in his mind

His chest looking a lot like an x marks the spot

MechanicalTomPetty
Oct 30, 2011

Runnin' down a dream
That never would come to me

Irony Be My Shield posted:

My working theory for a long while now is that someone very important to Roger and/or Garp was also at God Valley and they were compelled to action because Rocks didn't give a poo poo who was there and they were gonna wind up on the chopping block otherwise. Even after all this time, we still don't really know that much about Roger's past beyond what Silver talked about and what we saw in the Oden flashback so this might be an opportunity to drop some more hints about whatever's going on there.

anime was right
Jun 27, 2008

death is certain
keep yr cool

roger's attitude is that babies havent sinned yet, and what rocks might be doing (genociding the celestial dragons by wiping out even their children) would be no different than genociding any other race or people.

i literally think that they protected the celestial dragons because they had children with them

but since shanks would grow up to be a monster if he lived with garling figarland, they decided to save the child/ren and raise them to not become like their parents

anime was right fucked around with this message at 02:36 on Oct 13, 2023

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

GV being an unrelated kingdom only currently being used by the World Nobles makes a lot more sense to me about why Rogers and Garp would protect it than when I just thought it was just like a holiday home for the Nobles or whatever.

the bitcoin of weed
Nov 1, 2014

anime was right posted:

roger's attitude is that babies havent sinned yet, and what rocks might be doing (genociding the celestial dragons by wiping out even their children) would be no different than genociding any other race or people.

i literally think that they protected the celestial dragons because they had children with them

but since shanks would grow up to be a monster if he lived with garling figarland, they decided to save the child/ren and raise them to not become like their parents

watch this also be how buggy joined roger's crew lmao

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

the bitcoin of weed posted:

watch this also be how buggy joined roger's crew lmao

Bugganeer

PsychoInternetHawk
Apr 4, 2011

Perhaps, if one wishes to remain an individual in the midst of the teeming multitudes, one must make oneself grotesque.
Grimey Drawer
Pretty sure the reason Garp and Roger will team is up is that Rocks is just going to try and kill everyone he can find on God Valley

Besides it's not as if the Marines will bother protecting anyone who isn't a Noble in this situation. I can easily see Garp begging Roger to help and Roger accepting when it turns out the slave kids are unprotected

Terper
Jun 26, 2012

It's hosed up that in the same arc we were finally, finally introduced to Vegapunk, we have also gotten to see a true glimpse of Imu/Gorosei, more information on the Void Century and Devil Fruits, Luffy fighting an Admiral to a standstill, Garp & crew vs Blackbeard's Pirate Island, and now finally Bonney and Kuma's backstory via God Valley flashback, feat. Ivankov and everyone loving else who's going to show up.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

thinking about the timeline and what we know of things a little more closely, its entirely possible that the gods valley events are directly related to laugh tale as well. working under the assumption that roger and xebec have no prior interactions before whatever happens, there may be some amount of will passing that happens upon his defeat, even if its only some kind of off handed remark or something that lodges in rogers brain. this seems likely to me because he had prior only been considered as a pirate of renown and power. we dont see him having any interest in laugh tale until 16 years later in the big oden flashback. we know he has other potential factors that push him there like his declining health, but i feel like there may be some degree of "theres no way xyz is true, i gotta figure this thing out" to it as well. i feel like this also fits because we know that xebec has very directly inspired blackbeard in some way, so we get another parallel with that.

YggdrasilTM
Nov 7, 2011

Blackbeard as Xebec son.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Paper Lion posted:

thinking about the timeline and what we know of things a little more closely, its entirely possible that the gods valley events are directly related to laugh tale as well. working under the assumption that roger and xebec have no prior interactions before whatever happens, there may be some amount of will passing that happens upon his defeat, even if its only some kind of off handed remark or something that lodges in rogers brain. this seems likely to me because he had prior only been considered as a pirate of renown and power. we dont see him having any interest in laugh tale until 16 years later in the big oden flashback. we know he has other potential factors that push him there like his declining health, but i feel like there may be some degree of "theres no way xyz is true, i gotta figure this thing out" to it as well. i feel like this also fits because we know that xebec has very directly inspired blackbeard in some way, so we get another parallel with that.
Yeah it's worth remembering that Roger's first words to Rayleigh before any of this had happened yet were "Let's turn this world upside down" - I'm guessing he was interested in the means Rocks was gonna use to achieve his "King of the World" status

GiantRockFromSpace
Mar 1, 2019

Just Cram It

mikeycp posted:

it would be really fitting imo to have all of them be former slaves who gained freedom only to become lapdogs

The big issue is most of them have confirmed backstories they are not slaves. Hancock and Kuma now, sure, but Jinbe was a soldier->pirate, Buggy was an apprentice Pirate at 9 already, Doflamingo is a former CD and Law was a Donquixote pirate. Weevil is either a clone, or was raised by Stussy his whole life (and she doesn't seem the type to let her son be a slave). Mihawk, Moria and Blackbeard have undisclosed childhoods but Blackbeard joined Whitebeard's crew young. And "hates the WG" isn't really the highest bar to clear in terms of an unified motive :v:

Crocodile being a former slave would check with his attitude and explain his link to Ivankov and how he could have blackmail material on him (without the "Ivankov changed Crocodile's gender" theory which would be kinda distasteful if it's the blackmail).

I'm also wondering if Ivankov is being literal with Ginny being their sister or they're just real close. Cause if Ginny is Bonney's mom then uncle and niece got related fruits (hormones and age) which would be funny.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

We don't know anything about Buggy's origin right? It's kindof weird Roger had two kids of the same age grow up together on his ship, I wonder if Buggy was also picked up at God Valley.