Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Gwaihir posted:

Sanderson didn't obviously get the voice just right, and wrote a good series of blog posts about what he got wrong with mat especially, but I think he also gets tarred with a lot of "but the vibes" things based on our collectively aging and faulty memories.

I'm going into these books right after a reread of Jordan's books so the memory is still quite clear. But so far I'm really enjoying TGS and trying to not finish it too quickly.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound
Sanderson is, for all his sins, ultimately Series Step-dad. Which isn't always fair to him but it is what it is.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

nine-gear crow posted:

That is how you can tell that Harriet loved her husband with all her heart.

This is so funny

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Sanderson is, for all his sins, ultimately Series Step-dad. Which isn't always fair to him but it is what it is.

It could have been alot worse!

Oasx
Oct 11, 2006

Freshly Squeezed
Sanderson’s writing was better in some ways, worse than others, but I can’t imagine any author better to take over from Jordan.

Chomposaur
Feb 28, 2010

El Grillo posted:

Weird to hear that Sanderson was negative. He was very positive about season 1 despite its flaws. I wonder what prompted the change of heart. Sounds like they are still involving him in the production process in the same way they were in season 1?

If anyone's interested he hopped on Reddit and dropped a bunch of posts on it that were more measured: https://www.reddit.com/user/mistborn

brando sando posted:

Rafe has always told me I can say what I feel I need to, and it's one of the things I most appreciate about this all. I'm surprised people would even have those rumors, after I did multiple podcast episodes talking very bluntly about season one. Nobody involved ever asked me to be quiet.

Let's be very clear, for the record, that I do not hate Season Two. Even if the scripts had been filmed as I read them, I would think it an improvement on Season One. And I know they made some revisions, which have largely been improvements. I liked Season One. This season is better.

There is a lot that is great. Nynaeve's accepted test--and, indeed, a lot of the Wonder Girls up until episode eight. All of the antagonists are wonderful. The stuff with Perrin/Valda/Hopper in episode eight was great. I came around on what was happening with Rand in the early episodes, and really ended up liking it.

At the same time, people need to understand: I have a stake in this they do not. My name is LITERALLY on this product. And so, it being weak in areas that are important to me is something that I find a bigger worry in it than I might in another show.

If you play loose and free with magic systems, then that reflects badly on me--as this is one of my specialties, and people will watch and be annoyed about things that I really, in a perfect world, should have been able to help the writers fix. I consider one of my other big strengths to be character arcs with powerful resolutions, and both seasons have really had troubles with this in the last episodes. That reflects on me, because having me involved should be able to help with this.

If I'm more critical of WoT, it's not because it's bad. Indeed, it's looking stronger than a lot of fantasy television, this season. However, once again, my name is on it. Even if I weren't a producer, my name is on some of the books. I feel more passionate about some of these weaknesses than I might when it comes to another property.

I also hold Rafe, and the writers, in very high regard for the difficult job they are doing quite well.

For extra context, this is literally the first time he's watching any of season 2, and he was asked specifically to make these kinds of comparisons during their watch. He also told the Dusty Wheel dude in advance that they should probably not do the stunt where they watched the episode for the first time with him, because it would not be the best experience. I think this was ultimately just a bit ill-conceived as an event. It would have been better if it'd been a "Brandon Sanderson behind the scenes commentary" rather than a "first watch with Brandon Sanderson".

DTurtle
Apr 10, 2011

Oasx posted:

Sanderson’s writing was better in some ways, worse than others, but I can’t imagine any author better to take over from Jordan.
George R.R. Martin was also in the running for finishing the series.

That would have meant two huge epic fantasy series never finished instead of one.

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Why! Why!! Why must you refuse to accept that Dr. Hieronymous Alloy's Genetically Enhanced Cream Corn Is Superior to the Leading Brand on the Market!?!

Morbid Hound

DTurtle posted:

That would have meant two huge epic fantasy series never finished instead of one.

Could've been Kevin J. Anderson.

DarkHorse
Dec 13, 2006

Vroom vroom, BEEP BEEP!
Nap Ghost

Hieronymous Alloy posted:

Could've been Kevin J. Anderson.

*hissssssss*

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

one man was perfect for the job…a man who could really understand how to write in a 90s-era fantasy setting like the wheel of time- you guessed it: Piers Anthony

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

buffalo all day posted:

one man was perfect for the job…a man who could really understand how to write in a 90s-era fantasy setting like the wheel of time- you guessed it: Piers Anthony

Well, he'd get the spanking part down pat.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

TRP Post of the Month October 2021
Raymond E. Feist would make Androl even more OP.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

DTurtle posted:

That's the funniest GRRM joke I've heard in a decade, well done :golfclap:

Dr. Clockwork
Sep 9, 2011

I'LL PUT MY SCIENCE IN ALL OF YOU!
I haven't read any of his other work. Is Brandon Sanderson really known as "the magic system guy"? Lmao what.

Data Graham
Dec 28, 2009

📈📊🍪😋

He's known as the "hey I took a break for 3 months during covid and I wrote 12 enormous books, and also 24 even more enormous books" guy

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

the man whose picture appears next to the definition of “extruded fantasy product” in the dictionary

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

Dr. Clockwork posted:

I haven't read any of his other work. Is Brandon Sanderson really known as "the magic system guy"? Lmao what.

Pretty much, magic in his series all have very clear and strict rules.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

Dr. Clockwork posted:

Data Graham posted:

He's known as the "hey I took a break for 3 months during covid and I wrote 12 enormous books, and also 24 even more enormous books" guy

He is both of those guys. He is Mister "I wrote a 5,000 page book in the time it took you to take a poo poo this morning just explaining how the magic system works. Please look forward to volumes 2 through 37 over the next couple of weeks, now if you'll excuse me I have to go record 10 different episodes of the 3 different podcasts I host before lunch".

Dude works his rear end off and is extremely online, and as a result kinda has zero to no people skills, as evidenced by how he just took over the stream last night and ruined it for Matt and Daniel.

Killer robot
Sep 6, 2010

I was having the most wonderful dream. I think you were in it!
Pillbug

Dr. Clockwork posted:

The only non-WoT Sanderson I've read has been Mistborn, and it's very much a setting where magic has complicated but very strict rules that even the characters are figuring out as they go along, and the way they interact with each other and how things turn out in weird edge cases are a big part of the story. It's magic as fantasy physics and engineering rather than spirituality and symbolism. Which is as valid as any other treatment of magic, but it really predisposes him to "no, that won't work, it breaks that known rule." And it worked pretty well for him taking over WoT since its own magic rules were pretty well-established, though that's also why his WoT books lean hard into some of the technicalities and elaborate rules-twisting like the "thinking with portals" stuff that felt like a departure from Jordan's level of the same.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

Killer robot posted:

The only non-WoT Sanderson I've read has been Mistborn, and it's very much a setting where magic has complicated but very strict rules that even the characters are figuring out as they go along, and the way they interact with each other and how things turn out in weird edge cases are a big part of the story. It's magic as fantasy physics and engineering rather than spirituality and symbolism. Which is as valid as any other treatment of magic, but it really predisposes him to "no, that won't work, it breaks that known rule." And it worked pretty well for him taking over WoT since its own magic rules were pretty well-established, though that's also why his WoT books lean hard into some of the technicalities and elaborate rules-twisting like the "thinking with portals" stuff that felt like a departure from Jordan's level of the same.

I was entertained by Brandon "Thinking With Portals" Sanderson being so upset that Mat tied a dagger to a stick.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

CainFortea posted:

I was entertained by Brandon "Thinking With Portals" Sanderson being so upset that Mat tied a dagger to a stick.

Yeah, that was definitely a "lol settle down" moment.

E: Again though I feel the need to reiterate, I LIKE Brandon Sanderson, I think he's a generally cool guy and I enjoy his writing and listening to his thoughts on writing and the creative process in general, but he really did come across like a loving rear end in a top hat on that stream and it was just embarrassing to see him like that.

nine-gear crow fucked around with this message at 17:49 on Oct 13, 2023

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

I'm fine with Sanderson having Opinions. It's good actually. Not watching all that tho

arteliad
Jan 4, 2014
I can't believe Sanderson had the audacity to share his opinions on the livestream about Brandon Sanderson sharing his opinions.

CainFortea
Oct 15, 2004

arteliad posted:

I can't believe Sanderson had the audacity to share his opinions on the livestream about Brandon Sanderson sharing his opinions.

Just gonna keep whacking at that strawman huh?

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

He's been posting about it on Reddit, he didn't want to do it this way, but apparently Matt talked him into it.

https://twitter.com/MacabreMacaw/status/1712866377738977357

Invalid Validation
Jan 13, 2008

It would be nice for once when someone with some notoriety gives a milquetoast criticism of a tv show the fans wouldn’t have a meltdown.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pik_d posted:

He's been posting about it on Reddit, he didn't want to do it this way, but apparently Matt talked him into it.

https://twitter.com/MacabreMacaw/status/1712866377738977357

All good reasoning and a very self-aware thing to say about the whole thing. "This was probably a bad format to do this in, but I stand by what I said and have very valid reasons for thinking and feeling like that, but I totally acknowledge that I was kind of a dick without meaning to be." Again, Sando's good people, I like him and we've all had moments like that where we get out over our skiis without meaning to. It's very easy to put yourself in his shoes and think about the way you'd react to seeing the same thing being one of the guys who helped originally create it and now there's this whole other incarnation of it that you just feel in your gut is wrong personally, despite other people going "this is awesome!" It must be hard as hell sometimes.

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

buffalo all day posted:

Welcome to a Wheel of Time!

*spanking*

Comrade Blyatlov
Aug 4, 2007

should have picked four fingers

I'm Johnny Knoxville and Welcome to WOT!

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nihilarian posted:

I'm fine with Sanderson having Opinions. It's good actually. Not watching all that tho

Writers having opinions unaffected by publicity or monetary concerns sounds very cool to me.

Shageletic fucked around with this message at 19:08 on Oct 13, 2023

Johnny Joestar
Oct 21, 2010

Don't shoot him?

i mostly don't give a poo poo what sanderson says about anything, wheel of time or otherwise, given that he actively tithes a lot of money to the mormon church

Anias
Jun 3, 2010

It really is a lovely hat

Johnny Joestar posted:

i mostly don't give a poo poo what sanderson says about anything, wheel of time or otherwise, given that he actively tithes a lot of money to the mormon church

Let they among us who have given no money to an awful cause post.

I think sanderson’s point that it’s a cool idea that makes future problems is in line with a lot of people’s thoughts, so I won’t beat the horse further. They can absolutely write their way out, Hamilton style, but they shouldn’t have to.

Anyways, I appreciate that Jesus-rand got stabbed with a spear, which at least indicates someone behind the scenes is keeping an eye on the symbolism. Hopefully we get full Odin in the tree. I don’t know how the show gets Perrin right at this point, so mostly I just hope he lands at compelling/interesting.

Mad Hamish
Jun 15, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

So better than book Perrin, then :v:

Zore
Sep 21, 2010
willfully illiterate, aggressively miserable sourpuss whose sole raison d’etre is to put other people down for liking the wrong things
Honestly I like book Perrin and think he gets some of the strongest bits in books 1-4 and 6. The Masema+Shaido chase gets a lot of flack and drags out a lot but even there it has some high points.

And I think in KoD-MoL you get back to Perrin having some of the better POVs in the book. Though his arc is the one that could use the most reshuffling overall and definitely could have used moving some of that backloaded stuff up into 7-10 because you just have so much crammed into the last four books for him.

Nihilarian
Oct 2, 2013

Book Perrin is good through the return to two rivers and from forging the king's hammer onward and his entire story in between those two events could get completely thrown out and I would say good riddance

Hieronymous Alloy
Jan 30, 2009

Morbid Hound
We talk about Laila fridging but we never get mad enough about hopper fridging

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Perrin pulled a cool *teleports behind you* on Graendal/Hessalam in the last battle then just didn't kill her because she's a woman. That was the point where I went from bored and disappointed to legitimately angry at his entire arc and I still haven't recovered.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

pik_d posted:

Perrin pulled a cool *teleports behind you* on Graendal/Hessalam in the last battle then just didn't kill her because she's a woman. That was the point where I went from bored and disappointed to legitimately angry at his entire arc and I still haven't recovered.

Well clearly what needs to happen now is that Show Perrin needs to marry Graendal so that way he'd just stone cold murk her in a berserker rage :v:

thrawn527
Mar 27, 2004

Thrawn/Pellaeon
Studying the art of terrorists
To keep you safe

Nihilarian posted:

Book Perrin is good through the return to two rivers and from forging the king's hammer onward and his entire story in between those two events could get completely thrown out and I would say good riddance

100% agree. When I heard they would be condensing the books for the show, this is the first thing I thought of.

pik_d
Feb 24, 2006

follow the white dove

Perrin is responsible for Rhuarc's death.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

RC Cola
Aug 1, 2011

Dovie'andi se tovya sagain

pik_d posted:

Perrin is responsible for Rhuarc's death.