Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Namtab posted:

I meant this thread lol

oh lol bet

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Namtab posted:

I found the transformations to be more grindhouse-absurd than actually titillating

yeah i guess on the whole klk is pretty firmly on the grindhouse side of the staff's prior gainax work. and i wouldn't call that exactly an... objective weakness? there is overall definitely something about klk that works for people in the same way a show like panty & stocking does but it has enough of a mix of something like gurren lagann, that it gets a bit weirder when the grindhouse aspect really gets leaned on, because it also does want you to take aspects of its characters and their relationships seriously. and compared to something like re:cutie honey that also blends those sorts of things together it is notably weirder and the more earnest emotional aspects of it are more scattered and incohesive. there are a lot of individual ideas in kill la kill to like but none of them quite work in tandem that well and basically all of it is stuff their older work did better in some way

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:41 on Oct 13, 2023

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

The first half of KLK was fun enough but I thought the back half just sucked in all ways.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

first 3rd was fun, middle was just okay, last 3rd was fun

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
it's really odd how much of the back half is premised so hard around caring about the cast because it kind of demands a level of emotional investment the show doesn't quite build up and within that back half they don't really do much more to explore anyone than they did in the front. there's a lot of interesting character relationships in kill la kill that are more, implied, than explicitly built upon within the text, which is how you get a mix of people being convinced mako is 100% canonically meant to hook up with gamagoori and people who think mako is 100% canonically meant to hook up with ryuko because both of those pairings get some level of emphasis in the show but neither one is actually really fully established to be A Thing lol. there's also nonon and how there's tons of doujins about nonon and satsuki because, there's some hints of stuff between the two, but nothing that the show actually emphasizes as a big thing to build upon by the end

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:45 on Oct 13, 2023

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
I'm just happy gamaguri and mako are happy together

Or was that fanart that someone posted and not official art

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

KLK was fun to watch and experience as it was airing, but it didn't really hold up to a rewatch.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
Mako was the only character I consistently had an emotional investment in. I thought Satsuki looked cool as hell in her regular gear.

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

Captain Invictus posted:

I'm just happy gamaguri and mako are happy together

Or was that fanart that someone posted and not official art

tbh i dont mind the ship as just a ship people like but it is weird to me how much this is the prevailing assumption and people just jump to stating it as fact because i dont feel like either of them got particularly interesting interactions with each other within the actual show and, nobody seems to actually be sure, if there's any official confirmation or not

The Colonel fucked around with this message at 15:56 on Oct 13, 2023

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

Ryuko and Mako went on a date at the end sorry

Sakurazuka
Jan 24, 2004

NANI?

And don't give me any guff about what 'date' actually mean in Japanese

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

The warlord with one eye

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
mako ftmfw. and she has two hands

Dangerous Person
Apr 4, 2011

Not dead yet
Big fan of a rebroadcast of Star Wars The Clone Wars making it into the Spring 2009 thread

marumaru
May 20, 2013

quote:

04/02: K-On!
Kyoto Animation does a moé music show based on a 4-panel manga about some musically inept girls that nevertheless want to rescue their school's music club. Not bolding, kyoani sucks now.

lmao this post would get you killed today

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

marumaru posted:

time to put it to the test: kyoani sucks now :twisted:

(USER WAS PUT ON PROBATION FOR THIS POST)

ZenMasterBullshit
Nov 2, 2011

Restaurant de Nouvelles "À Table" Proudly Presents:
A Climactic Encounter Ending on 1 Negate and a Dream
You know I don't really enjoy K On, but that post is dumb as hell

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Mako was just kind of the same joke over and over. It was a good joke, but I still kinda got tired of it by the end.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Haruhi and their Key adaptations whistling nonchalantly as K-On is skewered for being moe.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

haypliss posted:

Haruhi and their Key adaptations whistling nonchalantly as K-On is skewered for being moe.

Haruhi is good though and should get another anime series (there’s still plenty of unadapted books)

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Namtab posted:

It's amazing how little joy 2009 adtrw took in anime.

For posterity

I remember Sengoku Basara being popular, at least at first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGCrfQ2Nofc

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

marumaru posted:

rightfully so

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

Rinkles posted:

I remember Sengoku Basara being popular, at least at first

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QGCrfQ2Nofc

capcom's made a bunch of anime of their games and like battle network and sengoku basara are the only ones to attain any real cache outside of their ties to the game series

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k
The horse had handle bars and mufflers

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

yeah i guess on the whole klk is pretty firmly on the grindhouse side of the staff's prior gainax work. and i wouldn't call that exactly an... objective weakness? there is overall definitely something about klk that works for people in the same way a show like panty & stocking does but it has enough of a mix of something like gurren lagann, that it gets a bit weirder when the grindhouse aspect really gets leaned on, because it also does want you to take aspects of its characters and their relationships seriously. and compared to something like re:cutie honey that also blends those sorts of things together it is notably weirder and the more earnest emotional aspects of it are more scattered and incohesive. there are a lot of individual ideas in kill la kill to like but none of them quite work in tandem that well and basically all of it is stuff their older work did better in some way

Didn’t read this but I was making fun of the klk thread op

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

I'm pretty drat excited for Kill la Kill. It has a ton of really talented staff on board. Imaishi is directing, Nakashima is behind the script and composition, and Imaishi is apparently bringing all his many very talented friends on board to contribute, because that's the kind of guy he / they are. It's likely going to be a veritable who-animated-that-cool-as-hell-section-there smorgasbord of guest animators. It's assured to be one of the best if not THE best animated thing this season, and it will be the absurdly dynamic and completely batshit insane in a good way. If you like drills, swords, rainbowexplosions, and really fast action, and I know I do, this series is a going to be reaaaallll sure bet.

The series also is probably going to have a fair bit of fanservice, much like other shows Imaishi has had his hand in. It will be :nws:. If you are particularly bothered by such things and not willing to look past it, I'd give this a pass. Personally I've always found their fanservice to be more grindhouse-absurd than actually titillating, and I trust Imaishi and co will make A Good Show, but do not expect anything progressive out of this. We've seen the concept art, and the 3 minute PV is pretty clear. This is action and tits shlock, much like Gurren-Lagann and the others. Please don't post about it, it's kind of a tired and pointless topic; we all know.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Non non biyori was the best animated thing that season

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
they finally figured out how to make one of those good. make it a movie about sexy fellas

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Namtab posted:

Didn’t read this but I was making fun of the klk thread op
namtab's coping about thinking the transformation is more grindhouse than titillating

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

quote:

TTGL was one of the last great animes, so this should be pretty amazing. Slightly disappointed that Kamina is now a talking sailor outfit, but at least I can look forward to an anime again.

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

what a trip

Sleng Teng
May 3, 2009

The End of Anime History

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

think about how many good shows aired between gurren lagann and kill la kill

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

homeless snail posted:

namtab's coping about thinking the transformation is more grindhouse than titillating

Check the wiki, I’m seething

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
oh i assumed you were saying it felt more grindhouse in that you were agreeing they didn't look that sexy

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Endorph posted:

think about how many good shows aired between gurren lagann and kill la kill

K-on

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

The Colonel posted:

oh i assumed you were saying it felt more grindhouse in that you were agreeing they didn't look that sexy

No I thought they were ins anely sexy

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
drat. you got poo poo taste

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Fate/Stay Night anime being described as "Tsukihime 2: Electric Boogaloo" is wild to me considering what a juggernaut Fate has become

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

also the 2004 fate anime has issues but its a lot better as an adaptation than the tsukihime anime