Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

It's not as if this is a brand new character important enough to get a name card in a flashback to Kuma's childhood

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

anime was right posted:

have you actually read this comic

Though to be fair there was a theory going around at one point that Dragon was also Robin’s dad (which sort of lines up with what her mom told her about him but if that were true you’d think she’d have found out during her time with the Revolutionaries)

Larryb fucked around with this message at 20:35 on Oct 13, 2023

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
When have theories and speculation in one piece EVER been rewarding? It's just a series where random things happen.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

Oda is walking an insane tight rope in t his flashback. Hope he nails it !!

Minion of Freya
Jan 2, 2017
Usually there are more clues like a numerical trick or some Japanese folklore to point at. And sometimes the theories are correct but amount to nothing because it's meaningless to the larger plot, like Zoro's family.

Ryaomon
Mar 19, 2007
Ask me about being a racist piece of shit with a racist gimmick
Fan theories are always trumped by one weird trick that authors love: introducing a new character.

hatty
Feb 28, 2011

Pork Pro
Crocomom started as a shitpost but I think some people actually believe it now unironically

Valentin
Sep 16, 2012

fan theories are mostly not very interesting but they're one of the only forms of popular engagement these days which involves actually analyzing the text for any amount of time, making them the most interesting stuff that emerges from the standard content churn. like people will occasionally link interesting reddit theory posts here but no one is ever linking like, power scaling posts, which are a bizarrely high percent of discussion other places now

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

Eiba posted:

Nah, at least not for me. A lot of the distaste of Ivankov outing Crocodile as trans comes from the fact that that's a real thing people can do, and that I know people who have had very traumatic experiences related to other people sharing that kind of information to hurt them. I do not know of anyone ashamed of having been enslaved by brutal all powerful world nobles. In the context of the One Piece world, it's pretty bad, but because it's only bad in the context of that world it doesn't seem as viscerally scummy as outing him.

The flip-side to that is that if you replace “slavery” with “abuse” then that is a thing that happens commonly in real life that some people do not want brought up and for which forcibly outing that information can be incredibly cruel.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
I hope everybody is Luffy’s brother and/or sister

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012
This includes Funkfreed

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
I mean it's a break week so give it a couple days and we'll have people in this thread arguing about the Elders' power levels

Pyroi
Aug 17, 2013

gay elf noises
Crocodile's big secret is that he's Gin.

ManSedan
May 7, 2006
Seats 4

Drakkel posted:

I mean it's a break week so give it a couple days and we'll have people in this thread arguing about the Elders' power levels

I mean Saturn is the first one we’ve seen so he’s clearly the weakest.

TheKingofSprings
Oct 9, 2012

ManSedan posted:

I mean Saturn is the first one we’ve seen so he’s clearly the weakest.

Another nail in Midhawk’s coffin

Scrap Dragon
Oct 6, 2013

SECRET TECHNIQUE:
DARK SHADOW
BLACK FALLEN ANGEL!

TheKingofSprings posted:

This includes Funkfreed

Zoro should've taken Funkfreed for his own use

Veskit
Mar 2, 2005

I love capitalism!! DM me for the best investing advice!
Has anyone in the op world kept their slave tattoo unchanged?

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Isn't Hancock's?

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

luchadornado posted:

After thinking about yesterday while dealing with and urgent care visit and walking pneumonia, I'm taking my shot:

- 800 years ago there used to be a lot less water, and the world was in "one piece"
- The void century saw the world rise up against the demons. It's not just that they'll sink in water like devil fruit users, they're actively terrified of the ocean. So the world was flooded to "contain" them.
- A lot of the Yokai, including the Ushi-oni that Saturn seems to be modeled after, drink human blood, eat human organs, and just generally like eating humans. That feels a little dark and generic for Oda. But it makes sense why the CDs are so protected, fed the best food, don't breathe human air, don't do manual labor, etc. They're fattened up like geese for consumption.
- The devil fruit thing is a weakness with the demons and has something to do with inherited will and ideas and dreams that never truly die - they just keep coming back in different incarnations. They keep feeding the devil fruits to people because they're looking for certain ones that are extremely dangerous to them, ie. Hito Hito no mi: Nika. They can't get rid of the devil fruits, but they can keep tabs on where they are.
- Shanks and his crew know exactly what Imu and the elders are, and deliberately chose not to eat the devil fruit so they can safely be in the water away from them.
- With water being the big foil to demons, piracy obviously runs rampant. The demons can't have devil fruits just doing whatever, so the marines are setup to keep tabs on them and enforce the status quo (no researching the void century)
- The treasure on laugh tale is just about what Joy Boy did that set things in motion to destroy the WG and free the world. Roger laughed because he was just a little too early to witness it, but he's still enjoying the schadenfreude of what will soon happen.

Not sure about all of these points (where exactly does Imu come into this?) but I do really like the idea of the Celestial Dragons just being extremely pampered livestock. I've never really understood what role they're supposed to serve outside of the Elders.

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Irony Be My Shield posted:

Not sure about all of these points (where exactly does Imu come into this?) but I do really like the idea of the Celestial Dragons just being extremely pampered livestock. I've never really understood what role they're supposed to serve outside of the Elders.

Imu obviously has some power over them - they're either an arch demon, or maybe a human that betrayed the others and summoned the gorosei.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Off the subject, I watched the Chopper movie on this thread’s recommendation. It’s definitely a unique take on the material (basically, “What if Nami didn’t get sick until after Enies Lobby”).

The animation leaves something to be desired at times but I at least admire the effort they put into changing things up as much as they did while still keeping the spirit of the original story (though Robin basically took over Vivi’s role for the most part).

Weird that they only did something like this once and didn’t change any of the other arc recap movies that much though

U-DO Burger
Nov 12, 2007

luchadornado posted:

After thinking about yesterday while dealing with and urgent care visit and walking pneumonia, I'm taking my shot:

- A lot of the Yokai, including the Ushi-oni that Saturn seems to be modeled after, drink human blood, eat human organs, and just generally like eating humans. That feels a little dark and generic for Oda. But it makes sense why the CDs are so protected, fed the best food, don't breathe human air, don't do manual labor, etc. They're fattened up like geese for consumption.

This theory gives me serious "secret of Tiphares" vibes from Battle Angel Alita and it would kick rear end if this were true. Couldn't have a more deserving group

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I hope the Gorosei are just dudes that have eaten the "devil" (haha) fruit. I don't really care for introducing 'actual demons' to One Piece.

Unless they're from space or something. That could be fine.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I mean, if it's like the Nika-Nika fruit then it could well be that the will of some ancient demons is being passed down via fruits

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nodosaur posted:

Hm. That’s a good point

I dunno though. The fact that Arlong just disappears from the story when everyone else comes back is weird to me. Imagine if he came back in Impel Down.

it is weird but none of the east blue baddies have come back (except buggy.) so i figure theyre still in east blue and will show back up if the straw hats ever return to east blue. that said, spoiler for fishman island, arlong DOES appear as a member of the sun pirates, and the fisher tiger/jinbe flashback is also kind of arlong’s flashback

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

scary ghost dog posted:

it is weird but none of the east blue baddies have come back (except buggy.) so i figure theyre still in east blue and will show back up if the straw hats ever return to east blue. that said, spoiler for fishman island, arlong DOES appear as a member of the sun pirates, and the fisher tiger/jinbe flashback is also kind of arlong’s flashback

I think Kuro is dead. He was last seen unconscious aboard a ship full of ruthless people he had just tried to kill!

Kuro briefly reappears in the anime, having apparently returned to piracy, but the anime is bad and should be ignored.

Vermain
Sep 5, 2006

Irony Be My Shield posted:

it's certainly possible for oda to take a turn into something predictable, but i think the more likely explanation is simply that they're a part of the rigid, deliberately cruel hierarchy the gorosei and imu established in order to suppress the world's population. if the core thrust of One Piece is the power of dreams and ambitions, then the diametric opposite of that being a bunch of nightmare demons whose whole purpose is to create a world of despair where no one ever thinks of trying to rise above their station or deny "legitimate" authority is far more powerfully resonant than any kind of promised neverland-esque scenario

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Waffleman_ posted:

Gold is also good if a bit heavy on cameos (I think it was part of some anniversary so I get it)

Gold is probably my favorite of the new era of movies and until the end I thought the cameos were great because they were people like Wanze and just in the background Then loving rob lucci and sabo come out of nowhere to have a party in the middle of the ocean for no reason at all, lol. Also, i just remembered this, but the gambler hitting the turbine blade made me laugh extremely loving hard

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!

Silver2195 posted:

I think Kuro is dead. He was last seen unconscious aboard a ship full of ruthless people he had just tried to kill!

Kuro briefly reappears in the anime, having apparently returned to piracy, but the anime is bad and should be ignored.

I think there was something where a vivre card or some supplemental material showed his bounty is active again so he's confirmed still alive just, not doing anything of note.

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

If it got me obedient crocodile on a leash I wouldnt feel bad or scummy holding just about any secret over his head. In this hypothetical you aren't manipulating some random person, its your hateful enemy. Screw him.

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Imu always has themselves hidden in shadow because he has a red nose.

Lpzie
Nov 20, 2006

The really for real final race this time: 🤡

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

SyntheticPolygon posted:

I hope the Gorosei are just dudes that have eaten the "devil" (haha) fruit. I don't really care for introducing 'actual demons' to One Piece.

Unless they're from space or something. That could be fine.

It's probably just going to be on the nose allegory/symbolism. Which leads towards the idea that The Ancient Kingdom actually were the baddies, but the WG went from saints to demons the second they won.

The question is how closely it tracks, like when we get a flashback to the void century is Im the leader of the anti-AK Revolutionaries?

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

How tf could Joyboy be anyone but the literal clown

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

The One Piece is Buggy’s real nose (it’s even bigger and redder)

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

The Log Pose to Laugh Tale is Buggy's nose so red and bright, won't he guide the way tonight?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

BrownPepper posted:

Really hope this happens. Would be similar to:

which is one of my favorite moments

And that's why people who skipped Skypiea are massive dipshits! :atlus:

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Waffleman_ posted:

The Log Pose to Laugh Tale is Buggy's nose so red and bright, won't he guide the way tonight?

Seriously though I would not be surprised at all if Buggy ends up being the first one to reach Laugh Tale somehow (he’s had a habit of failing upwards for most of his career so maybe he just finds the island by accident or something)

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Larryb posted:

Seriously though I would not be surprised at all if Buggy ends up being the first one to reach Laugh Tale somehow (he’s had a habit of failing upwards for most of his career so maybe he just finds the island by accident or something)

The Buggy way is to reach Laugh Tale after everyone else, but be the one who is publicized for it. The world is celebrating Buggy landing on the beach, while Luffy and Blackbeard are already fighting at the giant X.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Waffleman_ posted:

Chopper has Buggy’s nose and vice versa

Actually CDs have the title Saint, so Saint Nika could be a thing if he was a CD. Close to Saint Nick.
What if Roger laughed because he needed Buggy’s nose to lead him to the real treasure?

Wii Spawn Camper fucked around with this message at 03:26 on Oct 14, 2023