Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Haifisch
Nov 13, 2010

Objection! I object! That was... objectionable!

Taco Defender
It's all deleted already, how terrible was it?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jenkl
Aug 5, 2008

This post needs at least three times more shit!
Cement board shower enclosure that's been jointed with paper tape and drywall mud, across a wall that appeared to have had all of its studs cut out.

The redguard was the least of their issues.

Too late to fix any of it - they'd already done about half the shower walls.

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

My app still had it loaded, couldn’t save the actual image but it’d let me screenshot it:

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

The harbor freight bucket really ties it all together.

Cat Hatter
Oct 24, 2006

Hatters gonna hat.
Usually I can at least figure out the line of thought based on the assumption that someone at some point was either trying to save time or money, but I can't think of any reason they'd notch those studs to near nonexistence to make room for a bunch of wood scraps that seemingly do nothing?

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy
Several of those pieces look as old as the studs, are we entirely confident that this isn't just hiding the previous owner's mistakes inside the wall?

wheatpuppy
Apr 25, 2008

YOU HAVE MY POST!

Cat Hatter posted:

Usually I can at least figure out the line of thought based on the assumption that someone at some point was either trying to save time or money, but I can't think of any reason they'd notch those studs to near nonexistence to make room for a bunch of wood scraps that seemingly do nothing?

I assumed they were previously notched out for some plumbing shenanigans. Then after those pipes were removed they added the scraps as filler so they could attach drywall.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
They were trying to build a shower that was partly recessed in to the wall and had to notch that poo poo.

:females: love it.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

The Reddit thread mentions some fun details.

1. The other side of that wall is the kitchen.

2. The bathroom has been renovated a few times before. Poorly.

3. The contractor was selected due to convenience. He had just finished work on the downstairs condo unit, and the work appeared “good” when complete. No other bids from anyone else.

wesleywillis
Dec 30, 2016

SUCK A MALE CAMEL'S DICK WITH MIRACLE WHIP!!
Must be the same contractor that that toronto couple used.

The one that was like a meth addict with a suspended driver's license that just happened to be riding by on a bike while they were talking about renovating.

Then what little work he did was uhhhh sub par.

Ashcans
Jan 2, 2006

Let's do the space-time warp again!

Didn’t that guy drive a bobcat into a foundation wall or something? Such a great story.

Arrath
Apr 14, 2011

Orvin posted:

downstairs condo unit

Oh perfect, would love to have that load bearing not-wall above my head and not even know it.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

The Harbor Freight bucket really sells it.

Christ, I sure hope that's not a load-bearing wall

Shifty Pony posted:

The harbor freight bucket really ties it all together.

(dammit, SP)

Tunicate
May 15, 2012

Ambassadorofsodomy posted:

Must be the same contractor that that toronto couple used.

The one that was like a meth addict with a suspended driver's license that just happened to be riding by on a bike while they were talking about renovating.

Then what little work he did was uhhhh sub par.

https://torontolife.com/real-estate/parkdale-reno-hell/

babyeatingpsychopath
Oct 28, 2000
Forum Veteran

Cat Hatter posted:

The plug end was cut off and is sitting in the panel not connected at either end. It might as well be in the garbage.

Generators already have an outlet built in though. Even doing it right is significantly less work than disassembling the generator to hardwire it into the house. I agree that they probably wired an appliance directly into the panel, but probably not a generator unless the other end of that cord is three wires jammed directly into the generator outlet.

I can pretty much guarantee that the plug was attached and dangling below the panel to be plugged into a generator JUST BARELY before someone responsible took the pictures.

Shit Fuckasaurus
Oct 14, 2005

i think right angles might be an abomination against nature you guys
Lipstick Apathy

Holy poo poo they made every single bad decision they possibly could, and walked away having learned that "you can't short-cut a reno". Baffling.

right arm
Oct 30, 2011

Lmfao what a couple of *******

kid sinister
Nov 16, 2002

How do people so naive end up with so much money in the first place??? How does a Food Network writer with a half time employed husband make enough to afford a half million house? They're like one of those renovation TV show families with their bullshit jobs: "I'm an underwater basket weaver and my husband makes scarves for left handed weasels. Our budget is 2 gajillion dollars."

peanut
Sep 9, 2007

They have rich parents.

Scrungus
Nov 21, 2022

peanut posted:

They have rich parents.

And just out of PURE LUCK our GODFATHER casually lent us $300k!!!

TooMuchAbstraction
Oct 14, 2012

I spent four years making
Waves of Steel
Hell yes I'm going to turn my avatar into an ad for it.
Fun Shoe

Scrungus posted:

And just out of PURE LUCK our GODFATHER casually lent us $300k!!!

Pretty sure that number is low by an order of magnitude.

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

peanut posted:

They have rich parents.

They also only say about a third of the story. There's one I saw that describes the wife as a "writer" with no qualification as to what that means.

She's literally won a Pulitzer.

ComradePyro
Oct 6, 2009

Bad Munki posted:

My app still had it loaded, couldn’t save the actual image but it’d let me screenshot it:

Rube Goldberg wall

Harry_Potato
May 21, 2021

Bad Munki posted:

Looks like this guy graduated from the MC Escher school of Carpentry. (You don't actually get a diploma, you just need to find a way out).

`Nemesis
Dec 30, 2000

railroad graffiti

moist turtleneck
Jul 17, 2003

Represent.

Dinosaur Gum
Slightly geothermal heat pump

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
The number of bad contractors out there is staggering. My neighbor saved up for years to do a small bath renovation and had so many issues with the tile guy that I offered to come and install a new floor for them because no one should have to deal with that. They had 1" hex tiles installed and the contractor used too big spacers between each sheet of tile so there was a bigger grout line every 12" across the entire floor. His "fix" was even worse.

Canuckistan
Jan 14, 2004

I'm the greatest thing since World War III.

Soiled Meat
We had our bathroom refinished and the tile subcontractor hosed up the tiled shelves in our shower. The guy was supposed to be a 'really good', but he still tiled the shelves with a backward grade so water pooled to the back of the shelves. Honestly, I've never tiled a thing in my life, but I sure as gently caress know that the tiles are supposed to be slightly graded to allow water to drain.

devicenull
May 30, 2007

Grimey Drawer

Canuckistan posted:

We had our bathroom refinished and the tile subcontractor hosed up the tiled shelves in our shower. The guy was supposed to be a 'really good', but he still tiled the shelves with a backward grade so water pooled to the back of the shelves. Honestly, I've never tiled a thing in my life, but I sure as gently caress know that the tiles are supposed to be slightly graded to allow water to drain.

Congrats, you know water drains downhill. That's more then my town does (they installed drainage pipes pointing upwards)

Nitrox
Jul 5, 2002

Okay that's just impressive
I would pay money to see a chain of events that led up to this.

Diamonds On MY Fish
Dec 10, 2008

I WAS BORN THIS WAY
I wanna see what happens when you run it

raggedphoto
May 10, 2008

I'd like to shoot you
I’ve done a fair amount of tile work but did my first shower niche with the house my wife and I bought. I got a little over zealous with the shelf angle because I was paranoid about pooling, she had me dial the angle back down some. I also bought a prefab niche that is all one piece backer board to minimize the chance for leaks.

I did however not pour mortar for the tub base because it was being a pain and the insulation instructions said you can just glue it down. The tub now creaks so I am currently cutting holes in the backside wall so I can spray foam a base for the tub and hopefully stop the creaking.

MRC48B
Apr 2, 2012

Nitrox posted:

Its not a long or complex chain. The ac unit was there before, and the concrete guys dgaf

FISHMANPET
Mar 3, 2007

Sweet 'N Sour
Can't
Melt
Steel Beams
Air source < ground source < concrete source heat pump

the yeti
Mar 29, 2008

memento disco

MRC48B posted:

Its not a long or complex chain. The ac unit was there before, and the concrete guys dgaf

Tbf I can absolutely imagine a homeowner going ‘nah moving that is too expensive just pour around it’

Bird in a Blender
Nov 17, 2005

It's amazing what they can do with computers these days.

Nitrox posted:

Someone said they needed a concrete pad for their condenser and the concrete guy misinterpreted the instructions.

PainterofCrap
Oct 17, 2002

hey bebe

the yeti posted:

Tbf I can absolutely imagine a homeowner going ‘nah moving that is too expensive just pour around it’

This, probaby.

Sad part is, it could be lifted 6" no problem without disconnecting anything; the lineset and current feed are flexible enough.

At the very least they could have knocked up a form around it, poured it, waited a week, had 2-guys lift it high enough to slide a couple boards under it, then pour to fill. Or hell, just fill it with stone.

Now, the lineset is encased in concrete. Nice job!

Bad Munki
Nov 4, 2008

We're all mad here.

Don't worry, when it inevitably fails and needs maintenance, it'll just stay entombed forever and they'll just install a new one next to it. Or on top of it??

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

Bad Munki posted:

Don't worry, when it inevitably fails and needs maintenance, it'll just stay entombed forever and they'll just install a new one next to it. Or on top of it??

Around and above it, like a Mayan pyramid.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Sash!
Mar 16, 2001

Bad Munki posted:

Like a smaller, newer TV using the massive, monumental console TV as a TV stand!