Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

Hooray, it's here.

Shame I'm about to go on vacation for a couple of weeks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money
Okay what sold me on being dumb enough to spend money on that ariel is the cool blue sword it has in those pictures, I want that cool blue sword

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

mllaneza posted:

Yeah, $15 for an Aerial justifies a lot of waiting I've done this year.

Also, the Permet 6 HG I just built has a full sheet of detail stickers I need to get to. I'm high on PBandai right now.

You can get a default-colors Aerial from suruga-ya for under $11 us right now through the magic of international exchange rates. (It's 1600 yen which is actually 300 over the kit's normal MSRP in japan).
Normally shipping across the ocean would obliterate the price savings but they have a free shipping campaign going on until Monday that even covers international.

...they've gotta lose money on that, right? I guess few enough foreigners take advantage of it that they don't care but it's weird that it's not restricted to shipping within Japan.

RPATDO_LAMD fucked around with this message at 08:50 on Oct 14, 2023

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

RPATDO_LAMD posted:

You can get a default-colors Aerial from suruga-ya for under $11 us right now through the magic of international exchange rates. (It's 1600 yen which is actually 300 over the kit's normal MSRP in japan).
Normally shipping across the ocean would obliterate the price savings but they have a free shipping campaign going on until Monday that even covers international.

...they've gotta lose money on that, right? I guess few enough foreigners take advantage of it that they don't care but it's weird that it's not restricted to shipping within Japan.

I never knew that site existed and now have it bookmarked for when I can afford it because there is some poo poo in there I want that I can't find anywhere else :eyepop:

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆
In addition to new items they also do secondhand stuff, so some of the things listed there are people selling off bits of their "backlogs" that they never got around to building. (You can filter the search by new/used as well if you care.)
Probably explains the amount of hard-to-find stuff.

Monkey Fracas
Sep 11, 2010

...but then you get to the end and a gorilla starts throwing barrels at you!
Grimey Drawer

Blaziken386 posted:

this post made me hopeful that i could skip the line, but no, it was simply a 20GB download to show off a mostly empty 3D shopping mall, which, upon clicking on aerial, just sent me to the very store page i linked.

:thumbsup:

Oh hey was just gonna ask about this; thanks!

I want the weird little Zakupla guy you can display on its own fake tiny runner set after you build it

free Trapt CD
Aug 22, 2013

*~:coffeepal:~*
I've got plenty of java
and Chesterfield Kings

*~:h:~*

Blaziken386 posted:

this post made me hopeful that i could skip the line, but no, it was simply a 20GB download to show off a mostly empty 3D shopping mall, which, upon clicking on aerial, just sent me to the very store page i linked.

:thumbsup:

Sorry! Mea culpa, it's working in my region but I can't make any excuses for Bandai's shenanigans.

Synthbuttrange
May 6, 2007

Lmao metaverse

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Showing me that website with free shipping should be a crime, god drat you.

MechaX
Nov 19, 2011

"Let's be positive! Let's start a fire!"

BisbyWorl posted:

A lot of finicky waterslides for the fin funnels.

wait finicky in what sense

i have zero waterslide experience

BisbyWorl
Jan 12, 2019

Knowledge is pain plus observation.

MechaX posted:

wait finicky in what sense

i have zero waterslide experience

iirc fork of the fin funnel has like 3 different decals, each needing to be placed right next to each other for seamless coverage

then you have to do that twelve times

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Pierson posted:

Showing me that website with free shipping should be a crime, god drat you.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Anyone have a website that is selling the HG IBO Shiden kit? It's been on my grunt suit list forever.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

Suruga-ya has been doing free shipping weekends on and off, at the past 2-3 week intervals - if they start they generally start at 9 PM eastern on Thursday and their inventory definitely turns over with decent speed. I wish the sorting was better as it relies on machine translation and there are often multiple entries for a single kit so some duplicate search methods generally help. That said they've beaten the ebay and mandarake price every time for me, often offering specific kits at under the US MSRP in the case of P-Bandai offerings.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Well I ordered that P-Bandai HG UC Engage 0 thing that looks sorta like a G-Self for 40 Canuck Bucks, used... we'll see what used means I guess. Hopefully it's not already built, haha. Also, free shipping from Japan? Should I expect this next summer or what?

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
Yeah that is actually a good point when they say 'used' is that just 'unwanted kits' or are we talking like opened runner bags, half-assembled crap, etc?

boz
Oct 16, 2005
I ordered the MGSD Freedom from them earlier this year and like everything else it said "Used"

Came in the box with all runners still in the bag.

And I think shipping took maybe 1 1/2 to 2 weeks last time.

parabolic
Jul 21, 2005

good night, speedfriend

I don't want to make promises but every used kit of over a dozen I've gotten has been sealed runners in the box.

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

parabolic posted:

I don't want to make promises but every used kit of over a dozen I've gotten has been sealed runners in the box.

Someone unloading their shelf of shame.

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
I even found a G-Saviour kit there for £60 but sixty bucks is a lot of money just for a joke build. It's here if someone wants to show their Canadian pride: https://www.suruga-ya.com/en/product/603007741

RPATDO_LAMD
Mar 22, 2013

🐘🪠🍆

parabolic posted:

Suruga-ya has been doing free shipping weekends on and off, at the past 2-3 week intervals - if they start they generally start at 9 PM eastern on Thursday and their inventory definitely turns over with decent speed. I wish the sorting was better as it relies on machine translation and there are often multiple entries for a single kit so some duplicate search methods generally help. That said they've beaten the ebay and mandarake price every time for me, often offering specific kits at under the US MSRP in the case of P-Bandai offerings.

The pro tip is to grab the Japanese name for the MS you want off the gundam wiki. The automatic English translations are a bit inconsistent but the JP names are always accurate.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

I'm what the kids call: a big nerd
explored the local mall today, and found three different toy/collectible stores. two of which did not have any gunpla, and while the third DID have some, they were approximately twice what they are online, which is outrageous

(ie: Lfrith Ur was $40, when you can get it for $22 on amazon)

in other news, i just checked out that suruga-ya site, and

whoops

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.
HLJ what the gently caress is the point of me preordering things if you're just gonna go "oh actually we don't have enough lol hope we get more!!"

(RG Epyon)

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

Working on my GM Moroccan Front tonight, and wow. I did not expect them to do color separation for the crotch V on a High Grade.

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

action stands are silly things

(god demi barding's arms are finicky. must've been a dozen times the joints kept popping out of the sockets, or the bicep came apart. i love the look of it, but its definitely not the sturdiest kit at all.)

Buck Wildman
Mar 30, 2010

I am Metango, Galactic Governor

Blaziken386 posted:

action stands are silly things

(god demi barding's arms are finicky. must've been a dozen times the joints kept popping out of the sockets, or the bicep came apart. i love the look of it, but its definitely not the sturdiest kit at all.)

looking at the green one and believing its name is BonkBot5000

Midjack
Dec 24, 2007

kirbysuperstar posted:

HLJ what the gently caress is the point of me preordering things if you're just gonna go "oh actually we don't have enough lol hope we get more!!"

(RG Epyon)

They do FIFO on preorders but yes, popular things will sell through the initial allotment. They'll continue running the queue when they get another shipment.

Neddy Seagoon
Oct 12, 2012

"Hi Everybody!"

Midjack posted:

They do FIFO on preorders but yes, popular things will sell through the initial allotment. They'll continue running the queue when they get another shipment.

Yeah, same thing's happened to me on a few orders. Just gotta get in ASAP and hope for the best.

Tergaso
Mar 4, 2007

My God! Wooden eels! Surface! Surface!
Oh God I am terrified that I now know about Suruga-ya. There's a lot that I want that is just about cheap enough to impulse buy that I have to be very careful.

I finished my first kit which heavily relies on waterslide decals last night. This is the 21st Century Real Type ver. Gouf Flight Type that I was able to find on amazon for some reason.

The underlying kit is great, it's a gouf custom with different legs and shoulders, and I have to say that I am happy with how the waterslides came out. Especially the shoulders, those red and yellow decals look great and I can see why people buy decal packs for their kits.
The waist alone took me an hour to build and slap on the white decals, but I got faster with it as I built the rest.

However the legs were really tough. I had a couple of tears when trying to thread those thin red lines onto the cuffs in particular. However, I did not despair and threw some other decals on in the bare spots, which I think actually makes it look better than it was supposed to.

Overall I am mostly very happy with how it looks now. I don't think I'll be seeking anything that heavily relies on waterslides moving forwards, this was somewhat stressful to decorate.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Man I never noticed the little wings on the backpack. What a poor design choice

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Gaius Marius posted:

Man I never noticed the little wings on the backpack. What a poor design choice

Look, Zeonic was trying, alright? And any fault in their design ethos is justified because unlike some their souls aren't weighed down by gravity.

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Midjack posted:

yeah my exodia eventually got there but, man it's just dumb and they should at least email you and let you know instead of just letting it sit there until you remember to check

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

GM Moroccan Front trip report: 10/10 best HG I've ever built. Simple, well engineered, comes with left handed trigger for all the Armored Core dual-trigger action you could ask for.

Looking at USA Gundam store, there's a non-P-Bandai GM that uses the same tooling on the way: https://www.usagundamstore.com/collections/hg-model-kits/products/hg-1-144-gm-shoulder-cannon-equipped-missile-pod-equipped

Prof. Banks
Apr 22, 2015

Computer lab day! Time to spend 45 minutes trying to load pokemon.com!

Tergaso posted:

Oh God I am terrified that I now know about Suruga-ya. There's a lot that I want that is just about cheap enough to impulse buy that I have to be very careful.

There were enough that hit my threshold that I'm now $70 poorer and 7 kits richer.

chrome line
Oct 13, 2022

Blaziken386 posted:

explored the local mall today, and found three different toy/collectible stores. two of which did not have any gunpla, and while the third DID have some, they were approximately twice what they are online, which is outrageous

(ie: Lfrith Ur was $40, when you can get it for $22 on amazon)

in other news, i just checked out that suruga-ya site, and

whoops
My local mall has a place that consistently sells them for 3x msrp (the only time I ever bought anything from them was an Aerial last year when it was impossible to find anywhere), and another one that seems to decide what the price of a given kit is randomly. Last I went they had 2 brand new HG Brady Fox's, one was 17$ and one was 40$

Warmachine posted:

GM Moroccan Front trip report: 10/10 best HG I've ever built. Simple, well engineered, comes with left handed trigger for all the Armored Core dual-trigger action you could ask for.

Looking at USA Gundam store, there's a non-P-Bandai GM that uses the same tooling on the way: https://www.usagundamstore.com/collections/hg-model-kits/products/hg-1-144-gm-shoulder-cannon-equipped-missile-pod-equipped
I imagine it's pretty much the same as the Sleggar Law GM which was also great. I think they're both based on the origin RX-78

Warmachine
Jan 30, 2012

chrome line posted:

My local mall has a place that consistently sells them for 3x msrp (the only time I ever bought anything from them was an Aerial last year when it was impossible to find anywhere), and another one that seems to decide what the price of a given kit is randomly. Last I went they had 2 brand new HG Brady Fox's, one was 17$ and one was 40$

I imagine it's pretty much the same as the Sleggar Law GM which was also great. I think they're both based on the origin RX-78

Yeah, I'm reasonably sure Morocco, Sleggar, and Missile Pod are all the same molds in different colors, and with some extra bits for the missile pods. Which, considering these are loving GMs, the level of detail and articulation is astounding. Just drat good kits worthy of the 2023 vintage.

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
IBO high grades use the same 30mm holes as the 30Minute Mission kits right?

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Arc Hammer posted:

IBO high grades use the same 30mm holes as the 30Minute Mission kits right?

Yeah. You need an adapter for the backpacks, though.

Diet Poison
Jan 20, 2008

LICK MY ASS
Well gently caress, Surugaya just cancelled my order, saying my credit card was not in my name, which is not at all true, so gently caress them I guess. I knew that poo poo was too good to be true.
I'll eat my hat if this isn't a case of "well poo poo, we're not gonna make any money sending one $40 HG to Canada for free shipping, cancel that".

Diet Poison fucked around with this message at 05:40 on Oct 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Blaziken386
Jun 27, 2013

decided to bite the bullet and order a nice display case because im running out of desk room and my mental illness is showing no signs of stopping. (because i also bought the michaelis in the same order)

Diet Poison posted:

Well gently caress, Surugaya just cancelled my order, saying my credit card was not in my name, which is not at all true, so gently caress them I guess. I knew that poo poo was too good to be true.
I'll eat my hat if this isn't a case of "well poo poo, we're not gonna make any money sending one $40 HG to Canada for free shipping, cancel that".
:ohdear:
well now im worried

I bought 5 things, so maybe they'll deem it worth their while??