Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY
I reckon you could make a pretty great 30-minute animated comedy series out of that premise

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Powered Descent
Jul 13, 2008

We haven't had that spirit here since 1969.

MuddyFunster posted:

Very good. I don't know where that one stands in the fandom or whatever, but I'm surprised I'd never heard of it.

FlamingLiberal posted:

Yes Lower Decks is well regarded among the fandom

Agreed, it's a really good episode. But it's not particularly quotable or meme-able, and its main characters are all either one-shots or recurring backgrounders having a singular moment in the sun, so it doesn't come up very often in casual discussions like this thread.

Also, I wish to formally state that this:

MuddyFunster posted:

spectrally frothing at the gash

Is the best, most poetic turn of phrase I've seen all week.

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe
Yeah, Lower Decks is generally considered one of the best episodes of Season 7, if not TNG as a whole. It coming right after Sub Rosa gives a good sense of just how uneven Season 7 was.

As do the next couple of episodes

CPColin
Sep 9, 2003

Big ol' smile.
I hope Sito Jaxa and Kurn are partying in Sto-vo-kor while they wait for Worf to get there :)

Angry Salami
Jul 27, 2013

Don't trust the skull.
My only real complaint about Lower Decks is that it really feels like Ben, the bartender, was meant to be Guinan, and I wish they'd managed to get Whoopi Goldberg back for the episode. It seems off that this random guy we've never seen before is joining the senior staff poker game and offering advice.

McSpanky
Jan 16, 2005

Nah, that wouldn't have worked the same. There needed to be a working-class Guinan who could walk in both worlds, actual Guinan is like Ten Forward's senior officer.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Kesper North posted:

I reckon you could make a pretty great 30-minute animated comedy series out of that premise

5 minutes is all I need.

Wait, we're still talking about Sub Rosa, right?

MikeJF
Dec 20, 2003

How the gently caress did Trek get away with putting 'hey, here's Satan, he's actually a good guy and we're chill with him' in an ostensibly semi-kid-targeted animated show in 1973, anyway.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001
People just used to be more chill about being friends with satan obviously.

drat you regan!!!!!

(I actually have not even the slightest idea.)

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Not a fan of "Wink of an Eye"'s conclusion. While it does continue the trend of Kirk committing multiple genocides in his career, it's not like the Federation couldn't have looked for volunteers. Or sent scientists to try and help them deal with their sterility.

"No, you get quarantined and have to go extinct" is just the most Kirk of all possible outcomes.

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

MikeJF posted:

How the gently caress did Trek get away with putting 'hey, here's Satan, he's actually a good guy and we're chill with him' in an ostensibly semi-kid-targeted animated show in 1973, anyway.

I mean, they got in trouble over Spock's ears in the original show because people thought it was satanic. Maybe it's a reference to that.

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thotsky posted:

I mean, they got in trouble over Spock's ears in the original show because people thought it was satanic. Maybe it's a reference to that.

I mean, sure that could explain why they might do it, but not why they're not getting in trouble of it. Like you just pointed out even just having slightly suggestive ears got them in trouble, how could literally finding out the devils a cool dude not?

thotsky
Jun 7, 2005

hot to trot

dr_rat posted:

I mean, sure that could explain why they might do it, but not why they're not getting in trouble of it. Like you just pointed out even just having slightly suggestive ears got them in trouble, how could literally finding out the devils a cool dude not?

The 70s were a different time than the 60s? Maybe nobody gave a poo poo about children and this kind of thing until the Satanic panic in the 80s?

dr_rat
Jun 4, 2001

thotsky posted:

The 70s were a different time than the 60s? Maybe nobody gave a poo poo about children and this kind of thing until the Satanic panic in the 80s?

I mean I guess? Seems to make more sense than anything else :shrug:

egon_beeblebrox
Mar 1, 2008

WILL AMOUNT TO NOTHING IN LIFE.

The Satan Episode is my favorite TAS.

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
the Satan ep is really good. It is kind of surprising that they were able to get it on tv—but then as pointed out, this was before the Satanic panic. or really, right in at the very start of it, when it was just old folks clutching their pearls about Black Sabbath or the Stones or whatever, and hadn’t yet taken on its psychotic manifestation as a child abuse witch hunt.

The best episode of TAS is the girl power one where Uhura and Chapel do gunboat diplomacy with the planet of Amazons, and they should adapt it for SNW, no notes

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Over the years I started to actually enjoy Sub Rosa a lot, it's a trainwreck but like you said Gates tries so hard to make it work.

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
If she wasn't going ALL IN, it'd merely just be another depressing episode where a female member of the crew gets violated. Instead it's kinda farcical? Especially when Picard walks in on her and she's trying to compose herself.

Powered Descent posted:

...Is the best, most poetic turn of phrase I've seen all week.

I'm not proud, but goddamn am I still laughing to myself at that ending. Beverly's so happy and candid about it all to Troi.

Boxturret
Oct 3, 2013

Don't ask me about Sonic the Hedgehog diaper fetish
I find the DS9 episode Cardassians kind of odd, because they decide to give the kid to his biological father and that's the end of it, the decision is made off screen and you never see the adopted father again. Felt like it was missing a scene.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

I just cannot take Mark Twain remotely seriously in Time's Arrow anymore. Any time he starts talking I'm waiting for the 'eh hoo HA ehe' to start

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

MikeJF posted:

Star Trek TAS wasn't actually targeted at children, it was sold and marketed as direct continuance, or seasons 4 and 5 of the Star Trek, the series. But now in animation because why not.

BonHair
Apr 28, 2007

Der Kyhe posted:

Star Trek TAS wasn't actually targeted at children, it was sold and marketed as direct continuance, or seasons 4 and 5 of the Star Trek, the series. But now in animation because why not.

That is actually wildly ahead of its time in a way, are there any other cartoons for adults before Simpsons that had any kind of mainstream relevance?

skasion
Feb 13, 2012

Why don't you perform zazen, facing a wall?
TAS was released as a Saturday morning cartoon and won an Emmy for best kid show. I agree they weren’t particularly trying to write a dumbed-down show or “kiddie Trek” but they kind of ended up doing so, if only because they had no way at that time to market a cartoon to grownups.

BonHair posted:

That is actually wildly ahead of its time in a way, are there any other cartoons for adults before Simpsons that had any kind of mainstream relevance?

Not really, at least on tv. Cinematically, Ralph Bakshi

skasion fucked around with this message at 18:46 on Oct 15, 2023

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MikeJF posted:

Because Lou Scheimer was an animation gigachad who didn't give the slightest gently caress and was cool as hell. See: how blatantly gay He-Man and She-Ra were in the 80s.

Der Kyhe
Jun 25, 2008

BonHair posted:

Flintstones comes to mind, but that was way more of a kids show than what TAS ever was. The writers went in with "write a normal Star Trek episode, but only in two acts, and cut the romance subplots".

And yes, TAS won an Emmy for "child's show" because adult animation really wasn't a thing back then, and nobody had an idea on how to market or label it.

Der Kyhe fucked around with this message at 18:59 on Oct 15, 2023

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE

No Dignity posted:

I just cannot take Mark Twain remotely seriously in Time's Arrow anymore. Any time he starts talking I'm waiting for the 'eh hoo HA ehe' to start

I still like that he's given no gushing reverence. He's just a pest and a problem, too clever for his own good, getting in the way constantly.

Thing I appreciated most was them not trying to replicate Best of Both Worlds. They could have notched it up with the EPICEST OF EPIC season finale cliffhangers, instead they just go with a vague mystery in the middle of a campy runabout with mild Voyage Home vibes.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MuddyFunster posted:

I still like that he's given no gushing reverence. He's just a pest and a problem, too clever for his own good, getting in the way constantly.

Thing I appreciated most was them not trying to replicate Best of Both Worlds. They could have notched it up with the EPICEST OF EPIC season finale cliffhangers, instead they just go with a vague mystery in the middle of a campy runabout with mild Voyage Home vibes.

Also that scene near the end of the two-parter with Twain on the Enterprise-D where him and Troi debate the idea of the Federation itself where he's intensely skeptical of the idea given what he's seen of humanity in his time is just fantastic. It's kind of the only time he really feels like Mark Twain instead of the HOO, HAA, MWAHA parody they were writing before that.

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

MuddyFunster posted:

It's a very fun, silly adventure, it's definitely TNG resting on its laurels but it sits on them very comfortably at that point

F_Shit_Fitzgerald
Feb 2, 2017

Atlas Hugged posted:

Not a fan of "Wink of an Eye"'s conclusion. While it does continue the trend of Kirk committing multiple genocides in his career, it's not like the Federation couldn't have looked for volunteers. Or sent scientists to try and help them deal with their sterility.

"No, you get quarantined and have to go extinct" is just the most Kirk of all possible outcomes.

It's kind of hilarious how that episode ends. "Well, bye, guys! Hope you figure things out!"

No Dignity
Oct 15, 2007

'Troi gets turned into a vampy milf' does feel like an episode of the writer's barely disguised fetish, how the hell did this one get filmed

MuddyFunster
Jan 31, 2020

FUN you, EARHOLE
The bit when she appears, full rubber face, screeching hysterically before stabbing Picard had me out of my seat. It is so, so dumb.

nine-gear crow
Aug 10, 2013

MuddyFunster posted:

The bit when she appears, full rubber face, screeching hysterically before stabbing Picard had me out of my seat. It is so, so dumb.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQLjm6bTgxI

Feldegast42
Oct 29, 2011

COMMENCE THE RITE OF SHITPOSTING

BonHair posted:

Flintstones as someone mentioned, but a lot of looney tunes and such were played before movies back in the day and had references that only the adults would get

AlternateNu
May 5, 2005

ドーナツダメ!

Feldegast42 posted:

Flintstones as someone mentioned, but a lot of looney tunes and such were played before movies back in the day and had references that only the adults would get

Yeah. All the first and second generation cartoons (e.g.; those that were used as previews and interstitials for films, and the first few out on TV in black & white) were all adult oriented.

Knormal
Nov 11, 2001

skasion posted:

TAS was released as a Saturday morning cartoon and won an Emmy for best kid show. I agree they weren’t particularly trying to write a dumbed-down show or “kiddie Trek” but they kind of ended up doing so, if only because they had no way at that time to market a cartoon to grownups.
I would guess a lot of people in the 70's literally had no idea there was a Satan-themed episode since they weren't watching cartoons. In prime time back then you were either watching Star Trek or whatever was airing on the literally two other channels so Spock's ears probably reached a much wider audience. The only adults watching TAS would have been Trek fans, who would have been much more accepting of things like that.

Atlas Hugged
Mar 12, 2007

Put your arms around me,
fiddly digits, itchy britches
I love you all
Elaan of Troyius is such a weird episode.

The CGI is particularly bad here and really distracts from how cool the space battle is.

The next episode starts with a monolog about mental health and the criminally insane. I'm sure they'll handle the topic with dignity and respect.

I'm also expecting this episode to be a retread of the other mental health underground base episode.

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!
People have complained about it before but "Wrongs Darker Than Death Or Night" is a really perfect example of the writers of DS9 just coming up with a concept for an episode and COMPLETELY ignoring what it means for any past episodes.
Yea it's pretty funny that Dukat, who is missing, calls up Kira in the middle of the night to say "Lol I shagged your mum" and he sorta explains why he's never said this before. But I don't think the explanation he does works at all. He was potentially with her for SEVEN YEARS and he never mentioned it? That just seems loving bananas to me.
But all the writers were happy with it because as a standalone episode it works okay.
And to just end with "and she died in a cardassian hospital 7 years later". Of what? She'd be like 30!

At least it's followed by In the Pale Moonlight

Soul Dentist
Mar 17, 2009
The lesson that I got was Dukat was bullshitting to get in Kira's head and he was so proud of his plan it couldn't wait until morning to implement

Taear
Nov 26, 2004

Ask me about the shitty opinions I have about Paradox games!

Soul Dentist posted:

The lesson that I got was Dukat was bullshitting to get in Kira's head and he was so proud of his plan it couldn't wait until morning to implement

But he wasn't! It was real!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Zedd
Jul 6, 2009

I mean, who would have noticed another madman around here?

Soul Dentist posted:

Also apparently, allegedly it was supposed to be the start of a Dukat-Kira Romance thing. Nana Visitor refused the gently caress out of it and this is what we got instead.