Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

M_Sinistrari posted:

I'm upset I'm going to miss Dead/Alive. But work comes first.

Near same. Tonight’s the big October dance and they’ve got a cool old time band with a great fiddle player.

But also I really love Dead/Alive.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

STAC Goat
Mar 12, 2008

Watching you sleep.

Butt first, let's
check the feeds.

Medullah posted:

I'm on episode 4 and really enjoying it. I'm a big Poe fan so it's awesome seeing all the not so subtle Easter eggs

I’m also on episode 4 and enjoying it. It’s less monologuey than other Flannigan shows, more gory and odd. Not very Poe like but also kind of very Poe like? Sort of more of an anthology of Poe story adaptions but also a main story for sure? I dunno. But I’m enjoying it.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

White Light posted:

Is this series worth watching? I've tried some tv horror before but man they were some real duds, im wondering if it's a case of me having poor luck or if the television format isn't the best for the horror genre 🤔

I also also just finished ep4

As a big Flanagan fan already: still doesn't top Bly Manor for me, but if it keeps this up for the final four eps it might surpass everything else. It rules watching even the sleazeball characters of the family in a Poe saga

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Medullah posted:

Ugh I thought the Changeling was a limited series, and was already thinking "they could have told this story in 5 episodes, they didn't need 8". And now it's just season 1. So drawn out. I did like it for the most part, LaKeith is on my list of actors that elevate anything they're in.

i think i'll read the book first honestly. the idea of splitting something into multiple series is a groan from me these days though, so much poo poo gets padded out then cancelled before a satisfying conclusion

Medullah
Aug 14, 2003

FEAR MY SHARK ROCKET IT REALLY SUCKS AND BLOWS

alf_pogs posted:

i think i'll read the book first honestly. the idea of splitting something into multiple series is a groan from me these days though, so much poo poo gets padded out then cancelled before a satisfying conclusion

Yeah honestly I'm in the same position. I was excited about the show for the first six or so episodes but finding out it was just part 1 REALLY soured me. I might grab the book for my next read.

Similar happened to me with Game of Thrones, but that was more "holy poo poo this show is amazing I can't wait for season 2" so I binged through the whole book series before s2. And then, well, we know what happened once the books ran out

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
The new season of Creepshow released. First episode didn't get very high ratings so I skipped to the second for now. If it's any indication, it's going to be pretty much on par with last season. First segment The Hat was fun, about a writer with writers block and gets a lucky hat that gives inspiration. Slow beginning, but picked up in the middle and had a very fun ending. Felt like they squandered the potential of the premise a bit, but it did the job. Second segment Grieving Process is about a woman who gets randomly attacked and starts to change as her husband helps her recuperate. A bit bland, was a bit more generic and didn't make much sense. Not a bad way to spend 30 minutes, though.

e: First part of the third episode, Parent Death Trap, is a bunch of fun.

feedmyleg fucked around with this message at 01:14 on Oct 15, 2023

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I finally sat down to start watching the Chucky sequels that I never got around to, and Child's Play 2 is... better than the first one? I did not expect this.

Child's Play 3 is drizzling dogshit though. That's as far as I've made it.

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Keep going

Hilario Baldness
Feb 10, 2005

:buddy:

Grimey Drawer
Finished House of Usher. Midnight Mass is still my favorite Flanagan series, but this one was really good.

Gyro Zeppeli
Jul 19, 2012

sure hope no-one throws me off a bridge

PKMN Trainer Red posted:

I finally sat down to start watching the Chucky sequels that I never got around to, and Child's Play 2 is... better than the first one? I did not expect this.

Child's Play 3 is drizzling dogshit though. That's as far as I've made it.

Yeah, Child's Play 2 rules. 3 is a pretty big slump, but push through it, the next one onwards is all gravy.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
Yeah, Child's Play 2 is the best of the movies imo. More fun than the first but also just a genuine amount of heart I was not expecting from it going in.

PKMN Trainer Red
Oct 22, 2007

I'm currently watching this:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7UwxuZeBQBI

and I'm really pleasantly surprised. It's got huge Fear Street vibes, where it feels like it's a 'made for teens' thing, but then it randomly busts out incredibly gratuitous violence and it sorta rules? It's sorta like The Hunger Games meets The Purge meets The Warriors, but with an enormous pumpkin-headed monster that rips some kid's head off at the jaw and causes a blood geyser. I'm having a lot of fun with it.

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Tired Moritz posted:

watched exorcist believer and i hated it. can movies light their scenes so half of the screen isnt just black

Just looking at the stills and trailer was an immediate turnoff for me. For a movie that's apparently banking hard on nostalgia it sure sports the look of a typical modern horror flick. Also I can already tell it's gonna look like pixelated rear end on streaming, even the daytime shots look dull and dingy.

Gripweed
Nov 8, 2018

Something just occurred to me. Remember that weird week when people talked about "cozy horror" and nobody had any idea what the gently caress they were talking about and they couldn't define it and it seemed like it could turn into some kinda incredibly stupid culture war thing but then just completely ran out of steam because there was just nothing behind the "cozy horror" concept?

I think they just wanted Hammer horror. It's cozy as gently caress. Kind old men in big coats and young women in pretty dresses in well-appointed drawing rooms and rustic country inns, lots of dialogue, just a little bit of blood and gore. Hell, some of those rustic sets were drat near cottagecore.

Did those people just want Hammer horror but didn't know enough about horror to realize that's what they wanted?

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

drat this Fall of Usher show loving slaps, been a while since I wanted to binge some godass television, big props to everyone for the rec.

Someone help me put, where the heck have I seen the MC and the government lawyers at? It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't put my finger on it.

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Finally got to the VHS 85 credit song omg I’m dying :discourse:

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

Gripweed posted:

Something just occurred to me. Remember that weird week when people talked about "cozy horror" and nobody had any idea what the gently caress they were talking about and they couldn't define it and it seemed like it could turn into some kinda incredibly stupid culture war thing but then just completely ran out of steam because there was just nothing behind the "cozy horror" concept?

I think they just wanted Hammer horror. It's cozy as gently caress. Kind old men in big coats and young women in pretty dresses in well-appointed drawing rooms and rustic country inns, lots of dialogue, just a little bit of blood and gore. Hell, some of those rustic sets were drat near cottagecore.

Did those people just want Hammer horror but didn't know enough about horror to realize that's what they wanted?

Yeah, I think Hammer is at least a great starting point for people looking for that, both it and Boggy Creek. Toss the Corman Poe cycle on the pile as well. The whole "cozy horror" thing is ridiculous because so much of it is defanging what horror could count as "cozy" while also trying to stay away from disquiet and unease and defanging horror itself but there's so much out there that if they want something with ~spooky fall vibes~ or whatever they were saying there's so much of it. Almost any Vincent Price movie is "cozy" to me.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
its funny how people suddenly moved on from wholesome to cozy/comfy, did someone sent out a memo or something?

CelticPredator
Oct 11, 2013
🍀👽🆚🪖🏋

Cozy horror movies

Alien
Friday the 13th 2-4 and 6.
Nightmare on Elm Street 3
+ more idk

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Just watched Incantation and it was terrific, loved Noroi and Medium as well. What am I missing in the Asian Found Footage Curse Movie genre? Cult and Occult are both on my list, and I know there's those Koji movies everyone here loves that I'll have a better setup for in a few months

Shrecknet
Jan 2, 2005

Opopanax posted:

What am I missing in the Asian Found Footage Curse Movie genre?
this channel https://www.youtube.com/@pro9ramQ

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Oh yeah, I watched a bunch of those too, good poo poo

SidneyIsTheKiller
Jul 16, 2019

I did fall asleep reading a particularly erotic chapter
in my grandmother's journal.

She wrote very detailed descriptions of her experiences...

Stink Billyums posted:

worse, after 3D got big in the wake of avatar that producer paid a fortune to do a 3D conversion of dawn, which of course nobody wants, so he lost his shirt on it and was holding out for some company to pay exorbitant licensing fees to recoup his losses

Googling this it looks like that 3D version finally got a limited release last year. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=W-ufklqO0f8

Gaz2k21 posted:

Second Sight did a 4K release of Dawn of the dead im pretty sure in 2 releases one basic and one loaded with features (I have that one) if you have a 4K player you can get this release, 4K discs arent region coded.
I think they did a blu-ray as well

I wonder if this movie's more apparent widespread availability in Region 2 is at all related to that original arrangement that resulted in the dedicated European version titled "Zombi."

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

Opopanax posted:

Just watched Incantation and it was terrific, loved Noroi and Medium as well. What am I missing in the Asian Found Footage Curse Movie genre? Cult and Occult are both on my list, and I know there's those Koji movies everyone here loves that I'll have a better setup for in a few months

it's not found footage, but as a long-time Grudge fan i really enjoyed the Netflix 'Ju-On: Origins' series. different vibe - much flatter and bleaker, with lingering melancholy, but plenty of bizarre j-horror spookles too

C-Euro
Mar 20, 2010

:science:
Soiled Meat
Two episodes into The Fall of the House of Usher and enjoying it a lot, though
--The monologues aren't philosophical enough
--I 100% cannot buy the angry Irish girl from Midnight Society as a gold-digging(?) wife

White Light posted:

drat this Fall of Usher show loving slaps, been a while since I wanted to binge some godass television, big props to everyone for the rec.

Someone help me put, where the heck have I seen the MC and the government lawyers at? It's on the tip of my tongue but I can't put my finger on it.

I think Roderick is Captain Pike from the Chris Pine Star Treks but I haven't actually looked that up. Voice sounded really familiar and it took me a couple of episodes to pin it down.

checkplease posted:

Tales from the Crypt: Demon Knight was pretty fun. 90 minutes, big bloody gore effects, funny shocking kills, and lots of Billy Zane. Good stuff.

My wife grew up outside of the US and thought that this movie was way bigger than it actually is, because for whatever reason her daycare had a VHS and played it all the time? Can confirm it shreds though.

alf_pogs
Feb 15, 2012

C-Euro posted:

I think Roderick is Captain Pike from the Chris Pine Star Treks but I haven't actually looked that up. Voice sounded really familiar and it took me a couple of episodes to pin it down.

that is correct; Bruce Greenwood! also known as Gerald in Flanagan's adaptation of Gerald's Game

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Erin M. Fiasco posted:

Yeah, I think Hammer is at least a great starting point for people looking for that, both it and Boggy Creek. Toss the Corman Poe cycle on the pile as well. The whole "cozy horror" thing is ridiculous because so much of it is defanging what horror could count as "cozy" while also trying to stay away from disquiet and unease and defanging horror itself but there's so much out there that if they want something with ~spooky fall vibes~ or whatever they were saying there's so much of it. Almost any Vincent Price movie is "cozy" to me.

I thought cozy horror was just a case of simple, easy to enjoy and turn-your-brain-off kind of horror flicks? Like there's no wild premise or anything pushing the boundaries of the medium, just 'oh hey here's a spooky haunted house, the MC shouldn't go inside but he does and here comes the scares' and goes through the motions well.

The Woman In Black feels like a 'cozy horror' film for me, but I have no clue if this is what cozy horror means for others

Pretzel Rod Serling
Aug 6, 2008

Deadite posted:

Also I watched History of the Occult last night and I think I need to watch it again. It was really absorbing and I think I paid close attention to it but that ending was nuts. I think I missed a lot of the clues to what was really happening.

first of all your puppet suit thing is loving awesome.

but secondly, I think I missed a bunch too but I really liked the read on the top-voted Letterboxd comment, which presumably is from an Argentinian (it’s in Spanish) whose milieu the story is set in.

they said Belasco is using energy from the entity beyond our world to change our future: the people forget so many things and return to the past—the retro styling, the black and white, there are even changes to aspect ratio—because the coven traded the future, the world of possibility, away for power. that’s literalized in that some of the kids apparently never existed; per the commercial for the children’s fund (and the Whitney Houston song) we know the children are the future.

anyway, when Natalia finds the iPhone in one of the coven’s safe houses, it awakens her to what’s been going on. she calls from the taxi, which would be impossible with the 70s-era technology we see in the rest of the movie. she gets to the studio and gives the phone to Marcato, who calls the daughter the coven took from him, which helps everyone else in the studio realize the meaning of “the future is over” and what the coven is doing. color returns, the aspect ratio changes, etc.

(forgive any mistakes here, because my Spanish is passable-but-not-good and I’m using a mix of machine translation and my own understanding to get the gist of the comment.)

I really really like this analysis! it wouldn’t surprise me if it was what was intended because it’s very neat, and you can definitely see how it connects to Argentinian history, in particular the dictatorship of the mid-70s, the dispute over the Falklands/Malvinas in the early 80s, etc.

Pretzel Rod Serling fucked around with this message at 05:03 on Oct 15, 2023

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Watched the first two episodes of the Flanagan Poe series. Embarrassing. He clearly just wanted to direct some episodes of succession. Characters constantly saying the names of Poe short stories out loud is incredibly corny. The pseudo monologue framing story is some of his worst writing ever. When it’s being funny it’s actually decent, maybe he should try his hand at a comedy. The ghosts standing in the background of shots is such a playing the hits move I almost respect it. The hot club bangers being entirely mid tempo remixes of earth 90s radio staples tells you everything about the audience and the vibe here

Opopanax
Aug 8, 2007

I HEX YE!!!

Pretzel Rod Serling posted:

first of all your puppet suit thing is loving awesome.

but secondly, I think I missed a bunch too but I really liked the read on the top-voted Letterboxd comment, which presumably is from an Argentinian (it’s in Spanish) whose milieu the story is set in.

they said Belasco is using energy from the entity beyond our world to change our future: the people forget so many things and return to the past—the retro styling, the black and white, there are even changes to aspect ratio—because the coven traded the future, the world of possibility, away for power. that’s literalized in that some of the kids apparently never existed; per the commercial for the children’s fund (and the Whitney Houston song) we know the children are the future.

anyway, when Natalia finds the iPhone in one of the coven’s safe houses, it awakens her to what’s been going on. she calls from the taxi, which would be impossible with the 70s-era technology we see in the rest of the movie. she gets to the studio and gives the phone to Marcato, who calls the daughter the coven took from him, which helps everyone else in the studio realize the meaning of “the future is over” and what the coven is doing. color returns, the aspect ratio changes, etc.

(forgive any mistakes here, because my Spanish is passable-but-not-good and I’m using a mix of machine translation and my own understanding to get the gist of the comment.)

I really really like this analysis! it wouldn’t surprise me if it was what was intended because it’s very neat, and you can definitely see how it connects to Argentinian history, in particular the dictatorship of the mid-70s, the dispute over the Falklands/Malvinas in the early 80s, etc.

Kind of but I think you missed a bit with the end His daughter gives him the "magic word" that should break the spell. He asks everyone to crank their volume but the broadcast is cut before he can say it on air, which is why the world is black and white but then they cut back to the studio and it's in Glorious technicolor

Such a rad use of mediums in that movie

White Light
Dec 19, 2012

Mark Hamill is in this Fall of Usher series which is sort of hilarious to me cause he's actually doing a great job but every time he speaks half the time I hear Skips from Regular Show

EDIT: vv Doing years of the Joker flat destroyed his vocal cords so I'm cool with grumpy old man gravel voice MH

White Light fucked around with this message at 06:40 on Oct 15, 2023

Mr Ice Cream Glove
Apr 22, 2007

The Nun 2 I was shocked to find out was better than the first

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Well yeah, twice the nun twice the fun.

ruddiger
Jun 3, 2004

Two times zero is still zero tho

MrMojok
Jan 28, 2011

White Light posted:

Mark Hamill is in this Fall of Usher series which is sort of hilarious to me cause he's actually doing a great job but every time he speaks half the time I hear Skips from Regular Show

He’s a loving grumpy old man, and I guess this is the persona that Hamill has chosen now, or maybe it’s what he really is now.

Either way the few posts here about Usher have made me think I need to give it another chance.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

ruddiger posted:

Two times zero is still zero tho

O yeah, but I couldn’t just leave that joke lying there.

High Warlord Zog
Dec 12, 2012

Mr Ice Cream Glove posted:

The Nun 2 I was shocked to find out was better than the first

So was the second Annabelle movie. It seems to be a thing with Conjuring spin offs that they start trying way harder than they need to after dull and rote first entries

High Warlord Zog fucked around with this message at 09:13 on Oct 15, 2023

Jedit
Dec 10, 2011

Proudly supporting vanilla legends 1994-2014

Piper Laurie has passed away aged 91. Telekinetic knife throwing is not believed to have been involved.

Chris James 2
Aug 9, 2012

Annabelle Creation is still my fav of the (8-film!) Conjuring universe

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Erin M. Fiasco
Mar 21, 2013

Nothing's better than postin' in the morning!

The Conjuring 2 is also the main series highlight, so it's not just the spinoffs.