Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Manatee Cannon posted:

hinomaru no sumo was pretty consistent about that stuff for the whole run so I'm not too worried about it

and it feels like every ch there's at least one person with a though bubble about how ippo should go back to boxing

Whenever ippo isnt boxing someone should say
Why isnt ippo boxing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

gimme the GOD DAMN candy
Jul 1, 2007
because he'd die

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

And look how well that worked out for Joe Yabuki!

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Silver2195 posted:

Wait, Ippo is still running?
Yes. It's actually been good for the last 4+ years too I recommend.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

He wouldn't die! His opponents would die (in the ring)!

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
Just going to point out that the new mangaplus website has view counts for chapters(?). At leas there are view counts and for some impossible reason Kagurabachi’s views are near Jujutsu as in 4 times that of Sakamoto.
I wonder how accurate those are.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Darth TNT posted:

Just going to point out that the new mangaplus website has view counts for chapters(?). At leas there are view counts and for some impossible reason Kagurabachi’s views are near Jujutsu as in 4 times that of Sakamoto.

blame it becoming a meme

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008

Darth TNT posted:

It feels like some sort of meme viewing because it's even cropped up in some youtube channels I watch without them even knowing what it's going on about.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Marriagetoxin: Erina and Chinatsu were precious to the end. And I like that Gero brings up that he is technically dating 4 people at the same time and is kinda uncomfortable with that, even if he isn't really at a point of relationship with them where commitment is expected, as Kinosaki correctly points out. Aaand we are finally returning to one of his previous dates and it's time for Ureshino take 2.

UnderFreddy
Oct 9, 2012

GEGENPOSTING

for people who are digging MMA, I can recommend Red Blue. Also an MMA manga, with a huge focus on the technical aspects. Gives me some Teppu vibes with the protagonist, which is kind of fun.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

UnderFreddy posted:

for people who are digging MMA, I can recommend Red Blue. Also an MMA manga, with a huge focus on the technical aspects. Gives me some Teppu vibes with the protagonist, which is kind of fun.

Thanks for the rec, this really has strong Teppu energy. I guess I just have a natural affinity for gloomy protagonists who meet a friendly, super positive and talented sport shonen hero and immediately think "gently caress this rear end in a top hat".

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Is mangaplus not working right now or is it something on my end. I wanna read the newest chainsawman and marriagetoxin, but nothing is loading on the app and webpage versions are 404s.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Have tearful reunion with your son
-->Eh
Fun Shoe
Yeah seems like it's down right now. Chainsawman is still on SJ though, so try that.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

It might not be available in his country, I'm assuming

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
The site and app load but trying to actually pull up a chapter doesn't show anything, and you can find plenty of other people tweeting the issue.

Seems they are aware though: https://x.com/N0VAFIELD/status/1711913256997052577?s=20

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.
Looks like things are working again, at least for me

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

New romance series started today, Hope You're Happy, Lemon

I think an enjoyable enough start. The girl having lied about cheating is the most obvious thing in the world, but the genderswap was not. And I'm a huge sucker for genderswap stories.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

RuBisCO posted:

I think an enjoyable enough start. The girl having lied about cheating is the most obvious thing in the world, but the genderswap was not. And I'm a huge sucker for genderswap stories.

Yeah, it has some potential. I'm also a sucker for these kind of stories, and I do like the dynamic that's been set up between the main characters and the roommate; female MC has to pretend that she hasn't been living with the roommate all this time, and male MC has to pretend that he doesn't have feelings for the roommate.

Also I like that the characters are in college. Usually these genderswap stories happen in high school

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Shinji2015 posted:

Also I like that the characters are in college. Usually these genderswap stories happen in high school[/spoiler]

It's sort of necessary that they be in college to incorporate the roommate angle. If they were in high school they'd (probably) be living with their parents.

Personally, bodyswap stories are kind of like a nightmare come to life for me, but I'll give this one a shot for now.

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

Alacron posted:

It's sort of necessary that they be in college to incorporate the roommate angle. If they were in high school they'd (probably) be living with their parents.

Personally, bodyswap stories are kind of like a nightmare come to life for me, but I'll give this one a shot for now.

You should read Inside Mari if you haven't already :evilbuddy:

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

Alacron posted:

Oh for sure, I'm just appreciating that we won't have to deal with some of the usual high school hijinks in this series. And while it doesn't look like it's gonna be a horny one, if it goes that way we'll at least be dealing with college students being horny and not high schoolers.

And I can understand why they might be. This kind of situation is usually treated as something light-hearted, but there's a lot of room to explore why it would be terrible for most people to be suddenly in the body of someone else (much less someone of a different gender identity), and dealing with that while also trying to pretend to be that person at the same time. There's maybe only a few times I've seen it addressed.

RuBisCO posted:

You should read Inside Mari if you haven't already :evilbuddy:

I need to get around to finishing that one of these days

DaveWoo
Aug 14, 2004

Fun Shoe

RuBisCO posted:

I have mixed feelings about this one - while I like the "bodyswapped with my ex" premise, I feel like the "I lied about cheating with three other guys" part is just so bizarrely over the top that I don't see how it could possibly have a satisfying explanation. I think it probably would have worked better if the cause of the breakup was a bit more mundane and realistic.

Shinji2015 posted:

And I can understand why they might be. This kind of situation is usually treated as something light-hearted, but there's a lot of room to explore why it would be terrible for most people to be suddenly in the body of someone else (much less someone of a different gender identity), and dealing with that while also trying to pretend to be that person at the same time. There's maybe only a few times I've seen it addressed.

Yeah, I wish there were more genderswap stories that explored the concept from that particular angle, too.

ConanThe3rd
Mar 27, 2009
I mean, "I wanted to break things off, couldn't articulate why, and then I panicked." sounds as "good" a reason as any.

ConanThe3rd fucked around with this message at 06:39 on Oct 15, 2023

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Alacron posted:

I mean they already presented the classic nightmare scenario where you have a sudden quiz in a class you didn't know you had and obviously never studied for.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 07:06 on Oct 15, 2023

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe

Clarste posted:

I mean they already presented the classic nightmare scenario where you have a sudden quiz in a class you didn't know you had and obviously never studied for.

Yeah, that part made my skin crawl a bit.

Guess it comes down to what will win out, my curiosity or my phobia.

Emzedoh
Jun 26, 2013

Alacron posted:

Big fuckin' same.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

There are now two bodyswap manga on Jump+

Pierson
Oct 31, 2004

College Slice
The latest arc hasn't been the best but the newest chapter of Kaiju #08 was really good. Showing the other side of the "oh no my childhood friend was instantly picked as the Hero/Sage/Chosen One/Ninja Master/Wizard Messiah and I got left behind as a normal-rear end dude" trope. A combo of instantly being told "oh you're naturally the best at this one thing so this is your life now", fear of what will happen if you fail even a single time, and a little resentment at the absence of the person who promised to be there alongside you.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Also Kaiju #8 starts with the Akira bike slide but on a tiger. :allears:

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

ConanThe3rd posted:

I mean, "I wanted to break things off, couldn't articulate why, and then I panicked." sounds as "good" a reason as any.

Also, I'm guessing she wanted to make herself out as the clear reason for the break-up, so he wouldn't feel like it was his fault or try to negotiate.

Clarste fucked around with this message at 15:19 on Oct 15, 2023

McTimmy
Feb 29, 2008
Witch Watch: I laughed at the Ultimate Spell of Use Gun.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Kamihate continues to rule :lol:

Oxxidation
Jul 22, 2007
in this week's yozakura family: the alvin & the chipmunks version of

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MPUCEz-RCg0

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Undead Unluck: Of course Fuuko is also a qualified surgeon, why wouldn't she be? :allears:

Kagurarachi: I kinda like the dynamics of the protagonist being hilariously hard-boiled straight man surrounded by a bunch of glib gremlins. Also the author sure likes mooks hanging from/being crucified on random arches.

MamaYuyu: Huh, I wonder who attacked who. They did mention that the female Hero is still holding things back and not fully trustworthy, so the things might be quite different from what they seem.

My Girlfriend Gives Me Goosebumps!: Watarai is quickly becoming my favorite.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.

McTimmy posted:

Ralph Bakshi's Witch Watch

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007

McTimmy posted:

This new guy is already one of the smartest villians ever.

Electric Phantasm posted:

I'm just glad that they didn't show their face.

Cipher Academy: that chapter was a ride. Shonen shenanigans, MC tried to kill himself, then back to shonen shenanigans

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

McTimmy posted:

Same.

This had better not be the end of Kamihate. That sequence with Heisuke was hilarious.

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

Also Kaiju #8 starts with the Akira bike slide but on a tiger. :allears:

Unfortunately that's about the only cool thing in the entire chapter.

Sakamoto Days and Dandadan are the two series that never fail to deliver. A gun barrel has never been so expressive.

Alacron
Feb 15, 2007

-->Eh
Fun Shoe
A lot of manga had good chapters today.

Crisis on Infinite Robocos, cheerleaders can bend steel bars, warlock casts gun, Kamihate and Heisuke are so happy together, Ienaga gets stabbed in the loving throat, Taiyo pulling a "oh no he's hot".

Even Ichinose family got me to genuinely feel something this week.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

DaveWoo posted:

I have mixed feelings about this one - while I like the "bodyswapped with my ex" premise, I feel like the "I lied about cheating with three other guys" part is just so bizarrely over the top that I don't see how it could possibly have a satisfying explanation. I think it probably would have worked better if the cause of the breakup was a bit more mundane and realistic.

Yeah, I wish there were more genderswap stories that explored the concept from that particular angle, too.

I think Gravity Falls episode Carpet Diem on this topic was and still is the absolute best we will ever see on this topic/genre.