Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

RuBisCO
May 1, 2009

This is definitely not a lie

I have a massive sweet tooth and every single day is a struggle not to immediately give myself diabetus

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
YESSSSSSS MATARA KAN IS WHO I HOPED SHE WAS

I remember her monster girl review, she liked cockroach girls, that's why I thought it was gonna be her

Goddamn I'm happy she's back

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

RuBisCO posted:

I have a massive sweet tooth and every single day is a struggle not to immediately give myself diabetus

I know that struggle

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

Captain Invictus posted:

YESSSSSSS MATARA KAN IS WHO I HOPED SHE WAS

I remember her monster girl review, she liked cockroach girls, that's why I thought it was gonna be her

Goddamn I'm happy she's back

oh, word?

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
yeah Nina Kosaka was my favorite and she's back now, I'm happy

she's playing dwarf fortress for her first post-debut stream, a game she wasn't allowed to play at nijisanji. love it

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Captain Invictus posted:

she's playing dwarf fortress for her first post-debut stream, a game she wasn't allowed to play at nijisanji

knowing fuckall about vtubers this statement is wild to me

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

the japanese agencies need to ask permission to stream because fair use isnt real

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Southern Cassowary posted:

knowing fuckall about vtubers this statement is wild to me

Dwarf Fortress destroys minds and reaps souls, it's for protection

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

nijisanji and hololive are actual corporations so they need permission to stream games because theyre basically using those games to make money, as a corporation

its a bit different from a random twitch dude. like you can buy stock in hololive.

Southern Cassowary
Jan 3, 2023

Endorph posted:

nijisanji and hololive are actual corporations so they need permission to stream games because theyre basically using those games to make money, as a corporation

its a bit different from a random twitch dude. like you can buy stock in hololive.

yeah like devoid of context i was thinking "oh they didn't think df would get viewers" but this is also crazy

i'd heard of stuff like atlus and persona streaming and the guy who just got convicted of a crime because he posted an lp of a steinsgate visual novel and i assume that issues like those come from a similar place

symbolic posted:

Dwarf Fortress destroys minds and reaps souls, it's for protection

i treat dwarf fortress like eve - a funny emergent story generator i will never touch out of fear

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

Endorph posted:

i've wondered about that, because i haven't heard about that being the case for big streamers, which are essentially one person businesses.

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's not a 'corporation' thing as its more a "japanese corporation" thing explicitly. Japan has some real rear end backwards ideas about digital stuff still.

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty

Southern Cassowary posted:

i treat dwarf fortress like eve - a funny emergent story generator i will never touch out of fear
I'm waiting for the adventure mode to get added to the steam version before I hop in. Hopefully it'll get added before the heat death of the universe.

Rinkles posted:

i've wondered about that, because i haven't heard about that being the case for big streamers, which are essentially one person businesses.
vshojo is pretty big, way more than singular twitch randos, smallest of the three major agencies, but not on the stock market and hopefully never will be. They've got a good thing going if they just do this "scoop up successful talents who were dissatisfied with their former holo/niji work environment and give them access to all the resources to restart", it's worked amazingly well for Kson and Kuro so far. Really smart business plan, and the happiness each of the talents has shown compared to how they used to be really shows what a good workplace it is.

Captain Invictus fucked around with this message at 02:47 on Oct 16, 2023

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

most jp companies dont wanna yell at streamers too much. (the steins;gate streaming thing was stupid but also the result of an extremely desperate CEO lashing out because his company is failing) because they know its bad PR, so independent JP streamers just do whatever mostly. but its different with corps.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
*nods* Corpo rats...

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

thinking about the jp streamers playing henry stickmin wondering how they got away with it....fair use be my shield....

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

like you can buy stock in hololive.

Oh poo poo imma diamond hands hololive 2 da moon!!!!!

Genuine vtuber business question, though: are there any numbers on the pay vtubers get when they're with a group like hololive versus tryin to go independent?

There's a history of YouTube groups taking advantage of new tubers so it would suck rear end if this a similar situation

If this topic of conversation is no good everyone can just ignore me.:)

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

Shinjobi posted:

Genuine vtuber business question, though: are there any numbers on the pay vtubers get when they're with a group like hololive versus tryin to go independent?

There's a history of YouTube groups taking advantage of new tubers so it would suck rear end if this a similar situation

If you keep asking questions like this are the Pinkertons gonna come to your house and beat the poo poo out of you

Buschmaki fucked around with this message at 03:08 on Oct 16, 2023

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
*thinking really hard about a joke....."

Goddamn you half 3D avatar girls do it to me every time

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Buschmaki posted:

If you keep asking questions like this are gonna the Pinkertons come to your house and beat the poo poo out of you

Nowadays you can never really be sure

Kild
Apr 24, 2010

Shinjobi posted:

the split is generally 33% to the streamer youtube and the company. then the big difference is how each company does merch with Hololive generally having you self-fund merch but you get most of the cut and with Niji giving you like 1% (not a typo) but isn't self funded. You also get some sort of baseline salary.

The upside for the cut is better opportunities generally like sponsorships (Korone was just sponsored to play Starfield as an example, she's also a Sonic ambassador with her own DLC costume) and a baseline level of success and not dealing with red tape or legal issues yourself.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

now's your chance, snail!

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds
Holo must be an okay place to work, they have about 70 talents and have let, like, 5 of them go over the past 6 years.

Niji is just chaos. I have no drat idea what the hell they're doing.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

the girl from your lie in april is really pretty

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Kild posted:

the split is generally 33% to the streamer youtube and the company. then the big difference is how each company does merch with Hololive generally having you self-fund merch but you get most of the cut and with Niji giving you like 1% (not a typo) but isn't self funded.
Baseless slander, I heard Niji talents get twice that much.

What I've heard about most corpos is that after YT takes their 30% cut of superchat revenue, the remaining 70% is split evenly between the talent and the company. Membership income is less clear. Streamelements donos don't have as much of a platform cut, so come streamers will have links to that as well, but it doesn't match the user-side convenience of SCs.

Motto
Aug 3, 2013

Mirage posted:

Holo must be an okay place to work, they have about 70 talents and have let, like, 5 of them go over the past 6 years.

Niji is just chaos. I have no drat idea what the hell they're doing.

I don't pay much attention to vtubers but my impression is that besides the bare minimum the companies don't actually do much besides collect their cut and roll the dice on how bad they want to bungle an issue for you when it comes up

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Namtab posted:

now's your chance, snail!
watching the entire vtuber fad pass by while i have 768Kb upstream. please fiber come soon

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

Namtab posted:

the japanese agencies need to ask permission to stream because fair use isnt real
almost momotetsu season again. the japanese train game that konami allows them to stream but does not allow you to make clips of, so all the clips are just zoomed in on the faces or blur out the game

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
the true snail was their internet all along

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

i think peanut butter cookies are probably better than sex

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

I don't think that's true at all

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Motto posted:

I don't pay much attention to vtubers but my impression is that besides the bare minimum the companies don't actually do much besides collect their cut and roll the dice on how bad they want to bungle an issue for you when it comes up

The big ones have extremely powerful network effects that will put way more eyes on you by default*, and can open doors in terms of what artists and producers will be willing to talk to you. Even in the smaller ones, you will have a group of collaborators with mutual self-interest to work with, bounce ideas off of, and viewers pulled in by one talent can be introduced to the others naturally. And that's not even considering major events like Fes that no indie could put together.

*this is sometimes taken as "anyone would be big if they got into holo", but it's more like "for people to watch you, they have to have heard of you first unless you get lucky with the algo", and corpos can both cover advertising costs and have a pre-existing viewer base who are likely to check you out; once you're past that, it's up to you to retain and grow the audience.

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

homeless snail posted:

I don't think that's true at all

no trust me, i am sure

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

I just finished watching Gridman Universe

Kinda sucked, not gonna lie

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

thinking about the time the hot fad game was nkodice, the japanese boggle game where the dice only spell out poo poo, pussy, and dick, and the corpo vtuber that wanted to play it but wasnt allowed to because of the bad words so he made his own version in rpg maker. and then the nkodice guy got mad and banned all vtubers from playing it on stream and that was legally binding, in japan

kirbysuperstar
Nov 11, 2012

Let the fools who stand before us be destroyed by the power you and I possess.

Waffleman_ posted:

I just finished watching Gridman Universe

Kinda sucked, not gonna lie

Well poo poo

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

its a pretty generic victory lap movie only they assume you're extremely invested in yuta and rikka getting together, which, lol

there's some cute moments for yomogi and yume at least

Stairmaster
Jun 8, 2012

ive been too distracted by eliras new design to pay attention to the nina stuff

Willo567
Feb 5, 2015

Cheating helped me fail the test and stay on the show.
congratulations trigger for (gridman movie spoilers) making the most boring pairing that no one gives a poo poo about or likes canon in it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Endorph posted:

its a pretty generic victory lap movie only they assume you're extremely invested in yuta and rikka getting together, which, lol

there's some cute moments for yomogi and yume at least

It's an incredibly generic toku crossover movie type deal except I'm watching Gridman, I'm not here for that