Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

bub spank
Feb 1, 2005

the THRILL
Felt pretty humbled about Ottawa’s chances this year after they got outplayed by Carolina in their first game, but they came back with 2 pretty dominant performances against Philly and Tampa, and that’s with both Norris and Pinto out of the lineup.

I was also pretty down on the Tarasenko signing, but he’s got 4 points in his last 2, looks very engaged, and makes the third line look really dangerous.

It’s pretty obvious that Dorion needs to trade Kubalik if he wants Pinto back in the lineup, but that would be basically throwing in the towel on the DeBrincat trade.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Chychrun owns, Sens haven’t had a defenseman that can shoot like that since…Gonchar? Gotta sign Pinto before Wednesday, Kubalik and Batherson playing with Rourke Chartier is brutal

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

rex rabidorum vires posted:

In no particular order my Pens observations - Harkins is extremely bad and needs to be dropped immediately. DoC isn't a 3rd liner either...Eller has done well though. 4th line has been unnoticeable to passable. The 2nd line has been excellent and GCR poor but improved from opening night. The d core has been really iffy as well in transition and leaving the d zone.... again some improvement game over game. I think the big 'if' right now is improving that 3rd line. Dubas and the Pens piled a huge number of 'tweeners' and vets and Harkins has the worst expected outcomes of any player right now...while also having bad actual results to go with it. If Dubas really is quick to make adjustments and waive (lol) should be really soon to see something different there. Otherwise the improvement in execution from opening night was very noticable... however when they come up against any team that can skate it's going to be ugly.

I liked DOC in camp and had him pegged as a breakout player for the Pens this year, but through three games he's been largely invisible. So far I don't like much of anything I've seen in the bottom six apart from Lars Eller.

The defense I think will be fine. EK looks really good and that takes pressure off of Letang and Graves who can rely on just being a solid pairing.

One thing I don't like about the top six forward group as currently constructed is the play drivers in the top six are Crosby and Malkin. Apart from Rust none of the other wingers are going to be noticeable on the forecheck. Jake is good when the forecheck is established but he ain't establishing it for you. Smith is terrific in transition but he's not gonna be a forechecking presence. Rakell can forecheck a little bit but he's kinda slow and honestly he might as well not exist right now as that second line is being driven by Malkin/Smith. I guess it's working. I'd probably consider flipping Rust and Rakell but maybe not worth it given how well Malkin is playing atm.

I think that top six may struggle against teams that take away their transition play.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Agreed on all of that Ginette.

In something a little different coming into last nights game the Tampa Bay Lightning were the worst 5v5 xG team in the league. After their lose they improved, somewhat, from 25% xGF to 36% xGF which puts them in a 3 way tie with Washington (sample size of 1 game) and Calgary. Still extremely early days with small sample sizes and such. Calvin De Haan is noted as being diabolically bad thus far and dragging Cernak into the basement.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
What even gets called as interference nowadays

https://twitter.com/everydaysens/status/1713728448135663646?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
Interference as defined by the rulebook happens 200 times a game, so it's a go-to call whenever the ref wants to do some Game Management or blew a call and needs to give a makeup call.

And yet incredibly egregious interference is actually called maybe 25% of the time.

CBJSprague24
Dec 5, 2010

another game at nationwide arena. everybody keeps asking me if they can fuck the cannon. buddy, they don't even let me fuck it

Here's a lot of words on why PLD forced trades from both Columbus and Winnipeg:

I'm not sure this:

quote:

You may not be surprised to know that Dubois was a stubborn, sometimes outright petulant child.

Is the flex the author thinks it is.

https://twitter.com/WPGMurat/status/1713909556747579788?t=pm7QHv2zOnhl6NSkXeMPcQ&s=19

E-
https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1713917785107988619?t=M1vr6rHvc9MEoqibnmpiiA&s=19

Grats on your win, Wings.

CBJSprague24 fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 16, 2023

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

That guy’s hockey card can be tapped to give haste.

Duck Rodgers
Oct 9, 2012

CBJSprague24 posted:

I'm not sure this:

Is the flex the author thinks it is.

https://twitter.com/WPGMurat/status/1713909556747579788?t=pm7QHv2zOnhl6NSkXeMPcQ&s=19

E-
https://twitter.com/BlueJacketsNHL/status/1713917785107988619?t=M1vr6rHvc9MEoqibnmpiiA&s=19

Grats on your win, Wings.

If you actually read the article, it's pretty clearly not meant as a flex

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah the theme is "he used to be a pissbaby but now that he has everything he wants he's totally grown up."

You know, for as long as he continues to have everything he wants.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

He also claims in that article that he went to the draft in Montreal in 2022 for fun and not because he was expecting a trade. Sure man.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

chirping giroux all the way back to the bench rules and swayed the refs into the non-call.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

I can't find the clip but in the Canucks/Oilers game on Saturday Joshua got an interference penalty when McDavid turned and accidentally skated into him.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I WILL JUST EAT ONE MORE SANDWICH
OH MY HEAD EXPLORDED I'M JAY FATSTER

ThinkTank posted:

I can't find the clip but in the Canucks/Oilers game on Saturday Joshua got an interference penalty when McDavid turned and accidentally skated into him.

Gotta give him the right of way. He's special.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

By the book, if he was between McDavid and the puck at the time and not actively trying to play the puck, that's still interference. Whether you meant to get in the way doesn't matter.

Of course I have no difficulty believing a penalty was called simply for making contact with McDavid, the Oilers were way behind and game management and all that. But it's probably a perfect example of what I posted above about interference being easy to call anytime since it happens constantly but is rarely actually called.

BRAKE FOR MOOSE
Jun 6, 2001

it's only interference if you use your hands :colbert:

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?

Eric the Mauve posted:

By the book, if he was between McDavid and the puck at the time and not actively trying to play the puck, that's still interference. Whether you meant to get in the way doesn't matter.

thats not true.

code:
A player is allowed the ice he is standing on
(body position) and is not required to move in order
to let an opponent proceed.
code:
player is always entitled to use his body position to
lengthen an opponent’s path to the puck, provided
his stick is not utilized (to make himself “bigger” and
therefore considerably lengthening the distance his
opponent must travel to get where he is going); his
free hand is not used and he does not take
advantage of his body position to deliver an
otherwise illegal check.

Bard Maddox
Feb 15, 2012

I'm just a sick guy, I'm really just a dirty guy.

CBJSprague24 posted:

“puff piece article that makes the subject look worse” is always one of my favorite forms of journalism. glad to see it coming to hockey too!

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Wonderllama posted:

thats not true.

code:
A player is allowed the ice he is standing on
(body position) and is not required to move in order
to let an opponent proceed.
code:
player is always entitled to use his body position to
lengthen an opponent’s path to the puck, provided
his stick is not utilized (to make himself “bigger” and
therefore considerably lengthening the distance his
opponent must travel to get where he is going); his
free hand is not used and he does not take
advantage of his body position to deliver an
otherwise illegal check.

That may exonerate Joshua in the case ThinkTank cited, I haven't seen the clip. That's not what guys routinely do though, they actively move to initiate contact with opponents away from the puck. I mean it happens all the time, every shift, it's so common you don't even notice unless you're actively forcing yourself to.

fancy stats
Sep 9, 2009

A man's man, wears a lot of denim, tells long stories and has oatmeal saved from this morning.

https://twitter.com/EricEngels/status/1713939819368157489

I was getting worried the habs might be too good for a slam dunk top 5 pick.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Eric the Mauve posted:

No McDavid wasn't looking and skated into Joshua. It wasn't a penalty by any stretch of the imagination and everyone agreed at the time. It was just one of the many unintentional collisions that happen in a hockey game that, for whatever reason, was called a penalty.

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.
I finally have daylight to try and watch a hockey game tonight and the Caps are playing... the Flames. Cool.

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
It's only interference if the balls touch.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
You should be excited about that. Too equally matched teams going toe to toe.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK QUACK

Chad Sexington posted:

I finally have daylight to try and watch a hockey game tonight and the Caps are playing... the Flames. Cool.

My condolences, they're still a really boring team to watch even without Sutter.

I hope Matty Philips gets a hat-trick.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

I don't know how it's possible, but the Flames are infinitely less likable than last year.

gently caress this team

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

mennoknight posted:

I don't know how it's possible, but the Flames are infinitely less likable than last year.

gently caress this team

huh? what have they done to sour you so much after 2 games? lol

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

Starsfan posted:

huh? what have they done to sour you so much after 2 games? lol

THEY

ARE

SO

BORING

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/tonyandrock/status/1713878212831314113?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Turns out having an AHL affiliate is kind of important

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME
Turns out Carolina really isn't a lovable bunch of jerks.

Just jerks, all the way down.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

mennoknight posted:

THEY

ARE

SO

BORING

It especially hurts because both menno and I know that if the Flames had played this properly and Treliving/ownership weren't complete idiots, they would have realized their tiny window just slammed shut when they lost two 100 point wingers within a couple of weeks of each other... sold Weegar/Huberdeau/anyone with value at last year's trade deadline for a boatload of picks heading into a strong draft class and actually re-tooled for a few years and come out the other side stronger.

Instead, NOW, I think the Flames are going to re-sign Lindholm to Darnell Nurse money/term and in 5 years the Flames will be paying $26+ million to three forwards that are aged 38, 35, and 33.... just in time for a new building!

I don't think they even sold out the home opener.

Spelling Mitsake
Oct 4, 2007

Clutch Cargo wishes they had Tractor.

fancy stats posted:

Ugh, it hasn't even been a week.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Misanthrope posted:

It especially hurts because both menno and I know that if the Flames had played this properly and Treliving/ownership weren't complete idiots, they would have realized their tiny window just slammed shut when they lost two 100 point wingers within a couple of weeks of each other... sold Weegar/Huberdeau/anyone with value at last year's trade deadline for a boatload of picks heading into a strong draft class and actually re-tooled for a few years and come out the other side stronger.

Instead, NOW, I think the Flames are going to re-sign Lindholm to Darnell Nurse money/term and in 5 years the Flames will be paying $26+ million to three forwards that are aged 38, 35, and 33.... just in time for a new building!

I don't think they even sold out the home opener.

Sounds like they did the right thing!!!

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Markstrom posting the same save % as last year and learning a zone defensive system instead of man-to-man has made them a dumpster fire in their own end... and yet somehow, still better defensively than Edmonton.

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

Misanthrope posted:

Markstrom posting the same save % as last year and learning a zone defensive system instead of man-to-man has made them a dumpster fire in their own end... and yet somehow, still better defensively than Edmonton.

Honestly what hurts most for me is that my kids are finally starting to want to get into hockey, and the games are so unwatchable. We just watch other teams and cry.

Misanthrope
Jun 10, 2001

Did you pass down the Lanny doll at least?

T-Bone
Sep 14, 2004

jakes did this?
Watched Ducks/Canes last night --- god drat those d-men the Ducks are collecting are fun to watch.

I knew about Mintyukov and Drysdale but that LaCombe kid is nasty too. Terry, MacTavish, and Zegras all look like they've taken another step this year, too (Terry and MacTavish were all over the ice last night especially).

And they've still got Zellweger coming and Carlsson hasn't played a game yet. They're not gonna make the playoffs or anything, but well worth a watch if you're desperate for hockey in the late PM.

Mintyukov's first goal was goddamn beauty: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B5deh9_tN-s -- that's LaCombe pinching in there for the primary too after MacTavish (who's gonna be one of the best two way centers in the league soon I'm tellin' ya menno), makes a nice play to hold the line

T-Bone fucked around with this message at 18:37 on Oct 16, 2023

mennoknight
Nov 24, 2003

Misanthrope posted:

Did you pass down the Lanny doll at least?

It's in my son's room :)

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

fancy stats posted:

Gonna be a fun season I said. We'll have exciting 5-4 losses I said.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

54 losses sounds about right