Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

In the myriadic year of our Lord Noodle

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Qwertycoatl
Dec 31, 2008

Happy Landfill posted:

Yeah, John seems reeeaalll sorry about things

Immortal god emperors watch sunsets

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Guys as careful as John don't have accidents.

That brief mask-off moment in Nona has killed any benefit of doubt that I might have given him, and no amount of thanergy is going to resurrect it. I know that type of predator all too well: someone who hides their abuse behind a fumbling persona, while knowing exactly what they are doing and reveling in it.

honestly i feel like any ambiguity is gone the moment we find out what the Cohort does to planets

Forget if that's late in GtN or early in HtN

My man was mad his planet died so he made a death cult to kill every planet he could find...literally a millennia-long campaign to render the galaxy (universe?) uninhabitable

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

PupsOfWar posted:

honestly i feel like any ambiguity is gone the moment we find out what the Cohort does to planets

My man was mad his planet died so he made a death cult to kill every planet he could find...literally a millennia-long campaign to render the galaxy (universe?) uninhabitable

That's Harrow.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

Guys as careful as John don't have accidents.

That brief mask-off moment in Nona has killed any benefit of doubt that I might have given him, and no amount of thanergy is going to resurrect it. I know that type of predator all too well: someone who hides their abuse behind a fumbling persona, while knowing exactly what they are doing and reveling in it.

Who knows what we might do, if given the power of a god?

To me it's the central thorn of the quadrilogy. I can imagine being both the predator and thinking myself the savior.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

PupsOfWar posted:

The other day my students were playing a version of Hangman but for phrases or quotes

One was "the voluntary human extinction movement".

John wasn't wrong. He was just ahead of the curve.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

I think he's one of the legit best villains in fiction

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

sebmojo posted:

I think he's one of the legit best villains in fiction

It really could be a great movie trilogy except for the fact that whoever made it would absolutely gently caress it up

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Guillermo del Toro.

StumblyWumbly
Sep 12, 2007

Batmanticore!

mdemone posted:

To me it's the central thorn of the quadrilogy. I can imagine being both the predator and thinking myself the savior.

I like to think I would not immediately turn off the Sun or genocide humanity so I could resurrect most of the folks I don't hate, but I definitely would eat peanuts in meetings and play tablet games all the time.

There have been a lot of Necro-Lord Primes in literature, but John is definitely the most relatable one, the one I would have a beer with.

Harold Fjord posted:

Guillermo del Toro.
but then Taika Waititi re-dubs the dialog.

FuturePastNow
May 19, 2014

StumblyWumbly posted:

There have been a lot of Necro-Lord Primes in literature, but John is definitely the most relatable one, the one I would have a beer orgy with.

cptn_dr
Sep 7, 2011

Seven for beauty that blossoms and dies

StumblyWumbly posted:

There have been a lot of Necro-Lord Primes in literature, but John is definitely the most relatable one, the one I would have a beer with.

Dios Apate, the awkward three-way Rugby World Cup handshake of the future.

Organza Quiz
Nov 7, 2009

PupsOfWar posted:

For me it was finding out that there's a house devoted to teenaged suicide soldiers like halfway through Gideon, although that was more like "hey uh... this book knows that these guys are the bad guys, right? Right????" and it took until Harrow to be sure that the book did know that.

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

Organza Quiz posted:

For me it was finding out that there's a house devoted to teenaged suicide soldiers like halfway through Gideon, although that was more like "hey uh... this book knows that these guys are the bad guys, right? Right????" and it took until Harrow to be sure that the book did know that.

you can't blame that on jod. the fourth just really really really loves getting into the thick of things very fast and with minimal regard for their own safety

mllaneza
Apr 28, 2007

Veteran, Bermuda Triangle Expeditionary Force, 1993-1952

Harold Fjord posted:

Guillermo del Toro.

Maybe.

But the only safe option is to wait until the fan animatics artists have done all of a book and then release that.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

redleader posted:

you can't blame that on jod. the fourth just really really really loves getting into the thick of things very fast and with minimal regard for their own safety

You do not in fact have to hand it to the Necrolord Prime

redleader
Aug 18, 2005

Engage according to operational parameters

sebmojo posted:

You do not in fact have to hand it to the Necrolord Prime

they're just so happy to be there! the fourth are like puppies for war

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

mdemone posted:

Plug me in and find out.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

cptn_dr posted:

Dios Apate, the awkward three-way Rugby World Cup handshake of the future.

I appreciate the fact that all the other characters expressed how gross that whole thing was. It actually made the plot device work for me, whereas otherwise I probably would have found it jarring.

disposablewords
Sep 12, 2021

Jod is friendly, concerned for his people, and frequently through much of HtN is the only adult in the room. He's got some warning signs but they're mostly like "he's uncomfortably interested in the weird potential of his death magic" and he's also the only stable and supportive presence for Harrow. He's good at playing on sympathies, spends so much of NtN doing just that. It's just so easy to like him personally! And really who wouldn't strike out in a panic with their terrible power, glut themselves on death to bring more death, and murder a solar system just to take one more swing at someone you really loving hate when in the midst of a breakdown?

He's just, also, y'know... the Prince Undying, God Emperor of a stagnant death cult empire of 10,000 years that goes out and murders planets. But he also owned up to being Gideon's dad, even if Gideon's birth was some kind of weird weapon against him. A land of contrasts.

Jod's terrible, I love him.

mewse
May 2, 2006

I went on a ride. The Jod discussion here made me wonder if the tea + cookies scenes with Harrow and Jod were inspired by Muir being confined to a mental facility, but I don't remember if she actually was ever committed. I found a long interview with her saying she's had lots and lots of therapy, so that's where it's probably from. Sadly, the long interview was also where she cleared the air about twitter (in the public mob sense) accusing her of being a pedo, and her being driven to being suicidal, again. This was back in 2020.

I'm not sure this is kosher to post about - this led me to her old livejournal where she'd post homestuck fan fic. I was surprised that some of the posts were in chat log format with Muir and a friend bouncing ideas off each other in a more and more excited tone, often mashing the keyboard in excitement. I've wondered about that early writing process. She ended up in the Clarion program where I think they tamed the wild talent, she said it "was an atmosphere where everyone carried themselves as a future professional".

This is the long form 2020 interview, it's still really good:

http://threecrowsmagazine.com/tamsyn-muir-interview-there-is-a-lot-of-blood-on-my-dance-floor/

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

Reading between the lines I think she was committed, yeah.

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse

I don't really have anything to add beyond this being a very enlightening read and I think any fan should read it at least once.

Anyway, I'd like to wish Tamsyn a very heartfelt Homestuck's Back

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

StumblyWumbly posted:

I like to think I would not immediately turn off the Sun or genocide humanity so I could resurrect most of the folks I don't hate, but I definitely would eat peanuts in meetings and play tablet games all the time.

I'm suddenly struck by how much John resembles the Emperor in the WH40K universe (before the Heresy and Siege of Terra, obv)

I wonder if this was at least partially on Muir's mind as a character influence.

Kesper North
Nov 3, 2011

EMERGENCY POWER TO PARTY

mdemone posted:

I'm suddenly struck by how much John resembles the Emperor in the WH40K universe (before the Heresy and Siege of Terra, obv)

I wonder if this was at least partially on Muir's mind as a character influence.

afaik she's said as much in interviews

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Kesper North posted:

afaik she's said as much in interviews

Primarchs, Houses, old empires lost to the Dark Ages

I must have read her comments on that and then forgot about it. But it is very interesting, and possibly why I still have an affinity for John.

Empy did nothing "wrong on purpose", but he hosed it all up anyway. Same vibes.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
I get what you're saying but also even the most benevolent interpretation of the emperor he's a fascist xenophobe who has exterminated countless other species and cultures because they didn't fit into his interpretation of humanity whether or not they were being seduced by the literal satanic energy permeating the universe. Just like John, only John's version of the alien, mutant, heretic is being descended from a billionaire.

That's why the real heroes are the Necrons.

sebmojo
Oct 23, 2010

Legit Cyberpunk

John is brilliant because everything about him is so charming but he's like like Hitler x10,000 in pure objective evil terms

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

Benagain posted:

I get what you're saying but also even the most benevolent interpretation of the emperor he's a fascist xenophobe who has exterminated countless other species and cultures because they didn't fit into his interpretation of humanity whether or not they were being seduced by the literal satanic energy permeating the universe. Just like John, only John's version of the alien, mutant, heretic is being descended from a billionaire.

That's why the real heroes are the Necrons.

But yea! That's what I'm saying! We should kill all the billionaires!

I'm glad you have attended my Emp/Jod talk

Edit: I agree that the Necrons are clearly the good guys.

mdemone fucked around with this message at 01:09 on Oct 20, 2023

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

sebmojo posted:

John is brilliant because everything about him is so charming but he's like like Hitler x10,000 in pure objective evil terms

Hustle wins the day

rohan
Mar 19, 2008

Look, if you had one shot
or one opportunity
To seize everything you ever wanted
in one moment
Would you capture it...
or just let it slip?

:siren:"THEIR":siren:

Please enjoy this belated meme I made back when Alecto Barbie was a thing and forgot about till now

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

sebmojo posted:

Plus he quotes memes in general conversation so you know there's some psychopathy there

M_Gargantua
Oct 16, 2006

STOMP'N ON INTO THE POWERLINES

Exciting Lemon

Benagain posted:

only John's version of the alien, mutant, heretic is being descended from a billionaire.

If you had stopped at "is a billionaire" without the lifetime family ban I think there would be much less arguement.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

M_Gargantua posted:

If you had stopped at "is a billionaire" without the lifetime family ban I think there would be much less arguement.

Ooh I think you have gotten to what Muir wanted to point you to. It doesn't matter for her story because it's all after that. But she wants you to sympathize with the destruction of the capitalist world.

mdemone
Mar 14, 2001

I didn't say it yet but this is perhaps the most serious exploration of hermeneutical communism that I know of in fiction

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Hermeneutical, drat near killed em all!

Rogue AI Goddess
May 10, 2012

I enjoy the sight of humans on their knees.
That was a joke... unless..?

sebmojo posted:

I do not find him charming. I find him extremely creepy. And purely evil, of course.

MonsieurChoc
Oct 12, 2013

Every species can smell its own extinction.
He's genderswapped Condesce.

PupsOfWar
Dec 6, 2013

Rogue AI Goddess posted:

I do not find him charming. I find him extremely creepy. And purely evil, of course.

imo it's not that he's charming, it's that he's good at seeming like a relatably ineffectual dork who is just in over his head with the whole God thing. He weaponizes Elder Millennial messiness as a mask and makes you go "wow what a sad disastrous little guy, being God must be really overwhelming" without realizing what a monster he is or how deeply in control he is of every bad thing.

You immediately realize he's bad, but you don't immediately realize in what way he is bad, or to what extent

Of course, he is still a deeply sad disastrous little guy, two things can be true at once etc

PupsOfWar fucked around with this message at 20:01 on Oct 20, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

3 Action Economist
May 22, 2002

Educate. Agitate. Liberate.