Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Please, this is all I have
Brook is definitely the oldest but he spent most of his life as a wandering spirit, so has like a hundred year gap in knowledge. As far as functional adults, Robin and Franky are 30 something and Jinbei is like 40? Brook probably died at 40-50 and spent a long time doing nothing

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Person Dyslexic posted:

Wasn’t Dragon a marine at one point? My theory is he was at God Valley and whatever happened there is what pushed him over the edge into becoming a revolutionary.

vvv

Thanks that’s all info I did not know/ remember. Maybe Garp had him tagging along for the experience or something at the time.

I like the idea that all the Marines were down for the triennial genocidal extermination of an entire country festival, but what happened next was what made them question their life choices.

Dawgstar posted:

I wondered why Yamato was trending and the episode with him in the men's bathhouse dropped. People are reacting as expected.

People just need to accept that it's ok to find a dude hot.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Dawgstar posted:

I wondered why Yamato was trending and the episode with him in the men's bathhouse dropped. People are reacting as expected.

I looked at the tweets because I hate myself and discovered that apparently in Pirate Warriors 4 Sanji can actually fight Yamato?

Wrap it up, dude's a guy

Drakkel
May 6, 2007

IT'S LIKE I CAN TOUCH YOU!
If I remember right it was said Franky's parents were pirates who dumped him at Water 7 cause he was annoying and that's it so it's entirely possible they're still alive somewhere

Meme Emulator
Oct 4, 2000

Gyges posted:

I like the idea that all the Marines were down for the triennial genocidal extermination of an entire country festival, but what happened next was what made them question their life choices.

Everyone keeps talking like this but I really doubt anyone under Vice Admiral is going to this island knowing exactly what theyre guarding

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

Person Dyslexic posted:

Wasn’t Dragon a marine at one point? My theory is he was at God Valley and whatever happened there is what pushed him over the edge into becoming a revolutionary.

Man this is gonna be a crazy flashback, cause it's like a lot further back than a lot of others and includes a bunch of characters we've never really seen proper at this age. Let's see, 38 years ago...

Shanks was 1 year old, we don't know how old Garling is, but with how he looks, he's probably early 20s. With his attitude, does he care about his son? Did he put him into a box to get rid of him? Or save him? Does he even know he has a son and it's the mother that did this?

Kuma is 11, Ivankov is 15 and Ginny is unknown. If she is Bonney's mother, then they'll have known each other for 14 years before having her if Bonney's age of 24 is correct, hopefully there's some good times in those years. Dragon is 17, so the start of the Revolutionaries could begin here if all 3 of the starting members are affected by this event at an impressionable age. Luffy is still 19 years away, so Dragon seemed really busy to not have a kid until 36.

Garp is 40, Roger is 39, this is one year after he reached Lodestar and learned of the Road Poneglyphs, maybe that's why he's here, and we don't know Xebec's age. Interestingly, Blackbeard is 2 years old, so definitely could be Xebec's son, and was picked up by Whitebeard after the incident.

Incidentally, Whitebeard is 36, Linlin is 30, she had/will have Mont-d'Or, her 30th child, this year, and Kaidou is 21, perhaps without Devil Fruit. Also Buckingham Stussy is 38, makes sense she'd hit it off with Newgate. While she might not be on Whitebeard's crew, Weevil is still 3 years from being born, so did they meet again after this? We don't know how old Shiki and John are.

Some other figures that might show up are the older Marines such as Kong, who was confirmed Fleet Admiral 11 years after God Valley, and could still be one now. Then Sengoku, who is 41, and Tsuru, who is 38. Maybe we'll even see the perspectives from a 17 year old Sakazuki, a 20 year old Borsalino or an 11 year old Kuzan.

Also Foxy was born this year. Celestial Dragon parentage confirmed???

Crosspeice
Aug 9, 2013

And to put it into perspective, Brook had been in the Florian Triangle for 12 years by God's Valley. Dude is fuckin old as hell, he might not have even heard of Rocks.

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

I think Brook has a line early on about remembering when Roger was a fresh rookie.

Roger being older than Whitebeard still fucks me up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

To be fair, the idea of Whitebeard as we saw him the most was him like 20 years after Roger died. Roger probably would have looked old too if he was alive.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I am still amazed at how Sengoku looked when he was a year older than Garp. It took until after the time skip for age to hit him.

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

MonsterEnvy posted:

I am still amazed at how Sengoku looked when he was a year older than Garp. It took until after the time skip for age to hit him.

It's called hair dye.

Jerusalem
May 20, 2004

Would you be my new best friends?

I loved how Brook constantly called Big Mom "Young lady" :3:

Nuebot
Feb 18, 2013

The developer of Brigador is a secret chud, don't give him money

scary ghost dog posted:

we’ve actually never seen two characters that were biologically related to each other except for ace and roger

Hasn't basically every post-timeskip arc (and a few of the pre-timeskip arcs) been about parents and their relationships with their kids?

MonsterEnvy posted:

I think Garp looks too much like Luffy to not be blood related to him.

Oda thought he looked like him enough he made him wear the dog mask at first.

Someone mentioned it a good while up thread, but I'm pretty partial to the theory that Dragon is Garp's son in law.

Lord_Magmar
Feb 24, 2015

"Welcome to pound town, Slifer slacker!"

For what it is vaguely worth, Dragon is likely still serving the Marines during Rogers execution in the Live Action. There's a point where you can see two Marine lines splitting the crowd and Bogard is on one side and Dragon on the other more or less equally positioned. Well, Dragon's big obvious green cloak.

Lord_Magmar fucked around with this message at 02:11 on Oct 17, 2023

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

Nuebot posted:

Someone mentioned it a good while up thread, but I'm pretty partial to the theory that Dragon is Garp's son in law.

Garp outright called Dragon his son during his flashback to training Kuzan so it's probably not this.

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Funky Valentine posted:

Garp outright called Dragon his son during his flashback to training Kuzan so it's probably not this.
Did Garp also consider Ace his grandchild though

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

I guess Dragon could be adopted?

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Well, adopted or biological, one imagines they'd have a bond of some sort at this age.

I would not be surprised at all if, over the course of this flashback, we see Dragon was a young Marine under Garp, and whatever happens here is what inspires Dragon to destroy the unacceptably hosed up world order.

Honestly, the bit I have a harder time imagining is how Garp can possibly stick around after this. I kind of hope it's addressed. Xebec being the villain does suggest there's a role for the Navy in protecting people from horrifically powerful pirates still. It'd be interesting if there were some nuanced reactions to this supremely hosed up situation.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
I think Dragon and Luffy are Garp’s son and grandson by blood.

Snazzy Frocks
Mar 31, 2003

Scratchmo
I hope the God valley incident arc lasts a year

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JoTzlL_V5Z4

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

I'm just assuming Garp and Sengoku were trying to be the lesser of two evils because Imu getting moody could wipe out millions of people. Choosing to wipe out thousands in places like God's Valley or Ohara to save millions of people is probably also why Kuzan hedged his bets on Blackbeard because he's willing to do whatever it takes to overthrow gods versus Luffy who is a pretty happy go lucky guy who doesn't want to see anyone die as long as he'd fed

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Nuebot posted:

Hasn't basically every post-timeskip arc (and a few of the pre-timeskip arcs) been about parents and their relationships with their kids?

hm thats a good point. but how can we be sure they are blood related. as far as i know the only character weve ever seen bleed is sanji.

Silver2195
Apr 4, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

I'm just assuming Garp and Sengoku were trying to be the lesser of two evils because Imu getting moody could wipe out millions of people. Choosing to wipe out thousands in places like God's Valley or Ohara to save millions of people is probably also why Kuzan hedged his bets on Blackbeard because he's willing to do whatever it takes to overthrow gods versus Luffy who is a pretty happy go lucky guy who doesn't want to see anyone die as long as he'd fed

I thought the main reason Kuzan quit the Marines was because of his disagreement with Akainu, not the World Nobles - precisely because of Akainu’s willingness to kill some innocent people for the “greater good” at Ohara. So now he’s siding with Blackbeard, who seems to have no moral principles against killing innocents or anything else, only ambitions and whims - how is that any better?

Tampa Bae
Aug 23, 2021

Silver2195 posted:

I thought the main reason Kuzan quit the Marines was because of his disagreement with Akainu, not the World Nobles - precisely because of Akainu’s willingness to kill some innocent people for the “greater good” at Ohara. So now he’s siding with Blackbeard, who seems to have no moral principles against killing innocents or anything else, only ambitions and whims - how is that any better?
Have the blackbeard pirates been killing innocent people or are they just targeting marines and other pirates? Big difference because Akainu didn't care who was in his path, friend or foe during marineford. Akainu's Justice is "Absolute Justice" which is following whatever orders he's given by Imu. Even Kizaru is having doubts because he doesn't believe in anything yet, doesn't want to hurt his friends, but will still do it because he's been told to.

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Kuzan is being a plant is incredibly obvious (moral disagreements, freezing Garp vs killing him) to the point that there's almost certainly something going on.

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Kuzan is being a plant is incredibly obvious (moral disagreements, freezing Garp vs killing him) to the point that there's almost certainly something going on.

i think its possible that kuzan just doesnt know what is going on

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

CatstropheWaitress posted:

Kuzan is being a plant is incredibly obvious

No you're thinking of Ryokyugu

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

well call me Tamago cause I got egg on my rear end

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
Previously I believed that Skypeia through Eneis Lobby was peak One Piece and I am really stretching here but I think I see some parallels. Wano parallels Skypeia (Luffy defeats an impossibly strong enemy by gaining a new understanding of his power). Then we had Water 7 where the straw hats directly go againts CP 9 and get caught in a government plot, which we have Egghead now where the Straw Hats fight CP 0 and get caught in a government plot. Eneis Lobby has the Straw Hats declare war against the world governmen and uhhh this arc seems to be like it's doubling down on that.

What I'm saying is we are getting peak One Piece again but this time on steroids so I'm pretty pumped.

ThatBasqueGuy
Feb 14, 2013

someone introduce jojo to lazyb

Eneis Lobby is gonna be Maris Jeoise and the toppling of the WG and/or the redline, I can feel it

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

Instead of burning a random WG flag, Luffy is going to burn the Empty Throne

JahRoo
Oct 22, 2010

hes going to eat the empty throne

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Luffy Stretchmouth eat the Im

Scholtz
Aug 24, 2007

Zorchin' some Flemoids

Mraagvpeine posted:

Tweet's gone

https://i.imgur.com/Gco1YGg.mp4

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

PringleCreamEgg posted:

Previously I believed that Skypeia through Eneis Lobby was peak One Piece and I am really stretching here but I think I see some parallels. Wano parallels Skypeia (Luffy defeats an impossibly strong enemy by gaining a new understanding of his power). Then we had Water 7 where the straw hats directly go againts CP 9 and get caught in a government plot, which we have Egghead now where the Straw Hats fight CP 0 and get caught in a government plot. Eneis Lobby has the Straw Hats declare war against the world governmen and uhhh this arc seems to be like it's doubling down on that.

What I'm saying is we are getting peak One Piece again but this time on steroids so I'm pretty pumped.

Aisa ain't got poo poo on Tama, but the loose parallels are there. I wonder if Elbaf is going to be the Thrillerbark analog.

Hopefully Impel Down is just going back and extra super wrecking up the place. This time when Bon Clay tries a heroic sacrifice, Law can just Shambles him to safety.

Inadequately
Oct 9, 2012

Tampa Bae posted:

I don't really know how Luffy doesn't have 'what it takes' when pretty much the entire story has been Luffy encountering a highly unjust system, going 'this is wrong', and immediately proceeding to tear it down with his bare hands. It's worth noting that Blackbeard has never really shown to be dissatisfied with the current world order, his only real complaint is that he's not at the top. It's a pretty safe bet that he's carrying on the legacy of Rocks to become King of the World, and that's not an abstract concept - we've seen the King of the World, what that position entails, and what it takes to keep that position. If Blackbeard got his way, chances are very little would change, the Empty Throne would just have a new genocidal tyrant sitting on it.

SyntheticPolygon
Dec 20, 2013

BB's just a charming guy. Great to hang out with, hard to say no to.

Paper Lion
Dec 14, 2009

i am throwing my hat into the theory that the celestial dragons are pets kept by the gorosei so they can farm all the suffering they cause for garmonbozia

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Inadequately posted:

I don't really know how Luffy doesn't have 'what it takes' when pretty much the entire story has been Luffy encountering a highly unjust system, going 'this is wrong', and immediately proceeding to tear it down with his bare hands. It's worth noting that Blackbeard has never really shown to be dissatisfied with the current world order, his only real complaint is that he's not at the top. It's a pretty safe bet that he's carrying on the legacy of Rocks to become King of the World, and that's not an abstract concept - we've seen the King of the World, what that position entails, and what it takes to keep that position. If Blackbeard got his way, chances are very little would change, the Empty Throne would just have a new genocidal tyrant sitting on it.

Luffy really only does that when they stand in his immediate path and is mostly winging it, while blackbeard seems to know a hell of a lot more than he lets on and has a clear plan.

Were probably going to be told in clear terms why kuzan threw in with BB at some point.