Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

now. as for best henshins, its star twinkle. because eitaso sings during it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Rinkles
Oct 24, 2010

What I'm getting at is...
Do you feel the same way?

bound to show up as a thumbnail to one of the breakcore videos youtube keeps suggesting me (i think cause i listened to some jungle compilations)

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

Uhh I just like anime

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Getting "sloppy and rough" means your willing to go off model to get animation that looks more dynamic and fluid in motion. When done right it can be really great and get action to really pop off but it can also be overdone and just make you roll your eyes. Trigger's Imaishi is a real good example of stylized version of that style

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wLCJe67Uodk

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

ninjewtsu posted:

hey i love that poo poo
id definitely recommend heartcatch precure then

low quality gifs but like i said, the designs are really simple so they do a lot of goofy stuff with them

they use that to make the fights look pretty good too, its one of the more consistently animated shows in the franchise

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yfoZRgoaIDk its even in the op a bunch

Endorph fucked around with this message at 07:20 on Oct 17, 2023

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

heartcatch is looney tunes

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

cure marine seems half-aware shes in a cartoon at all times and its wonderful

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

in conclusion, precure's 20 seasons is a land of contrasts

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

homeless snail posted:

in conclusion, precure's 20 seasons is a land of contrasts
a land of contrasting colors

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

I listen to podcasts at work because I can't do 5 hours of silence with nothing but industrial fan noises. But because I also have bad taste some of them are anime podcasts and they're driving me up the wall because nobody's doing any research and just falling into assuming everything is meant to scold people for making action manga and allowing children to get hurt in the process of fighting people/bears/dragons.

Does anyone know what Togashi inteneded for Hunter x Hunter to be? I can't speak or read Japanese so I can't find any interviews, sadly.

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
he intended for it to be sick as hell and indisputably epic.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

I listen to podcasts at work because I can't do 5 hours of silence with nothing but industrial fan noises. But because I also have bad taste some of them are anime podcasts and they're driving me up the wall because nobody's doing any research and just falling into assuming everything is meant to scold people for making action manga and allowing children to get hurt in the process of fighting people/bears/dragons.

Does anyone know what Togashi inteneded for Hunter x Hunter to be? I can't speak or read Japanese so I can't find any interviews, sadly.
it is a really, really common assumption among western anime nerds that the stuff they like exists primarily to mock or criticize other anime, because they have an allergy to taking the medium seriously on its own merits

the actual motivation of hunter x hunter is a bit more simple

https://mangahakuran.tumblr.com/post/24322952420/from-an-interview-with-togashi-shortly-after-yyh

quote:

Q: What was your favorite part?

A: Itsuki’s speech inside the Reverse Man [‘uraotoko’]. Itsuki’s final line contains something of a cri de coeur from the creator [i.e., Togashi].

Q: To me, the bad guys started getting really cool, beginning with the younger Toguro brother.

A: Yeah, around that point the main characters were more or less set in place – which makes them not much fun to draw for – so I found myself putting my heart more into the bad guys.

quote:

“The two of us are going to go spend our time in quiet; we’ve had enough. You go find some other enemy and keep on fighting.”

Speaking of Togashi being bored by the main cast, he wrote the following elsewhere:

[…] I’d already exhausted everything I could do with the Yu Yu Hakusho cast. My only options at that point were to either destroy the characters I’d created or just keep repeating the same thing over and over again until the readers got bored of it. I toyed with the idea of killing off the characters […], but of course Jump shot that idea down, and I simply didn’t have the stamina to keep doing the same thing over and over again, so I did what I’d always told myself I would do if I ever got a long-term series in Jump: end it by my own will.

Hunter x Hunter is the way it is because Togashi was bored of writing good guy fights bad guy stories and wasn't really enjoying it. So he created a story with more chaos to it, where the arcs and main characters bounced around a bunch. Things like the random, extreme violence of the Chimera Ant arc are probably largely him getting bored with certain characters or wanting to buck expectations.

Gon's characterization at the end of the Chimera Ant arc isn't really some sick own, its just a natural evolution of his character. He was never really meant to be a good boy who gets corrupted by war.

Togashi has some frustration with generic battle manga, but it's not moral frustration or like, a writing quality thing, he just didn't enjoy making Yu Yu Hakusho by the end. So he sought out ways to make sure Hunter x Hunter wouldn't become that kind of series.

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

theres multiple interviews where togashi praises naruto, one piece, demon slayer, etc. some of thats probably professional politeness but he gives genuine, specific praise at points in them, like he talks a bunch in an interview with kishimoto (the naruto guy) about how cool kakashi is

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

and to be clear: hes right. kakashi is cool.

Buschmaki
Dec 26, 2012

‿︵‿︵‿︵‿Lean Addict︵‿︵‿︵‿
Kakashi and Zabuza are the most badass parts of Naruto

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
as a wee child haku really left an imprint on me, and part of that imprint is, if youre a cool enough twink you can be followed around by a big badass dude with a final fantasy greatsword

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

homeless snail posted:

heartcatch is looney tunes

It’s also made by the same guy behind the Doremi series

Ohtori Akio
Jul 15, 2022
i gotta get through naruto at some point. its extremely epic but daunting

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Endorph posted:

and to be clear: hes right. kakashi is cool.

drat straight

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Ohtori Akio posted:

i gotta get through naruto at some point. its extremely epic but daunting

honestly it's probably time for a reread. it's kinda front loaded but there's good stuff in the back half

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

It was cool randomly finding Hatsune Miku in the Tokyo National Museum.

leather fedora
Jun 27, 2004

The closest acceptable translation is
"die properly"

Ibblebibble posted:

It was cool randomly finding Hatsune Miku in the Tokyo National Museum.
Not to downplay it or anything, but it's been a real trip seeing stuff normally relegated to semi-shady corners of the internet showing up loud and proud in more civilized areas of real world Japan once the bean counters realized the only ones actually spending money are otaku & zoomers.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

leather fedora posted:

Not to downplay it or anything, but it's been a real trip seeing stuff normally relegated to semi-shady corners of the internet showing up loud and proud in more civilized areas of real world Japan once the bean counters realized the only ones actually spending money are otaku & zoomers.

Yeah it was specifically because there was a super old important kimono that needed funding for restoration so they got Miku to model it and made some merch of it and otaku funded it all lickety-split.

Namtab
Feb 22, 2010

SatoshiMiwa posted:

Getting "sloppy and rough" means your willing to go off model to get animation that looks more dynamic and fluid in motion. When done right it can be really great and get action to really pop off but it can also be overdone and just make you roll your eyes. Trigger's Imaishi is a real good example of stylized version of that style

Getting sloppy and rough is what got me a criminal record

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!
i dont love all of hugtto exactly but it's the only season of precure with an arc about a girl who loves guitars having a dramatic romance with a tall killer cyborg

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

might get into this "Precure" thing now...

SatoshiMiwa
May 6, 2007

I wish I could recommend Huggto cause it has lots of I love but I just really don't like the main ending for Hana nor the ending for Emiru/Ruru

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Hope I go to Cleveland today I want a fuckin' reuben

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
a good percentage of the "revisionist"/"deconstruction"/"commentary" works i can think of come from people who are deeply immersed in the world they're commentating on. even when the whole "criticizing the genre" thing is real it tends to come from someone who lives in that genre.

i.e. there's a reason Unforgiven wasn't directed by some rando, it was directed by Clint Eastwood.

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 11 days!)

ninjewtsu posted:

which magic girl anime has the best action sequences

my magical girl exposure is basically just madoka and debatably granbelm

Nanoha, Yuuki Yuna is a Hero has some good sequences

Mirage
Oct 27, 2000

All is for the best, in this, the best of all possible worlds

verbal enema posted:

Hope I go to Cleveland today I want a fuckin' reuben

Reubens exist outside of Cleveland

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Mirage posted:

Reubens exist outside of Cleveland

The only place to get a rueben in town is arbys or element and I dont want a turkey rueben i want a real one from the irish joint

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
I want mah carned beff

Feels Villeneuve
Oct 7, 2007

Setter is Better.
the things i miss about living on the east coast are good italian food, and bagels + lox

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

Larryb posted:

It’s also made by the same guy behind the Doremi series

This isn't really true, it has Umakoshi designs and AD but Nagamine only directed like a handful of later Doremi episodes and was probably the least influential of its Good Episode Directors. Hugtto is directed by Satojun who was the director of doremi s1 and a regular episode director in later seasons and also did like ptutu/sailor moon s1/a whole bunch of other magical girl shows or kids shows. There's also happiness charge which is the worst season but does have an episode by Shigeyasu Yamauchi which could basically just be one of his doremi episodes, until the villain shows up and it suddenly turns into Casshern Sins

I think Hugtto is the best season by an absurdly wide margin partly just cause of emiru and lulu's entire existence but also cause I feel like it's the only season to recapture the magic of Doremi. After that the best Precure things are the Heartcatch movie, the Star Twinkle movie and the Maho movie, and then I guess Heartcatch and Fresh

BlitznBurst fucked around with this message at 17:24 on Oct 17, 2023

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

https://twitter.com/GKIDSfilms/status/1714310323384004676?t=dIwwOtomHJmtAmDzPFhbdA&s=19

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Keeping with the celebrity voice casting, I see, but at least a few of those have done voiceover work beforehand. Happy to see Hamill up there.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

This is Hamill's at least third Ghibli dub

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Yeah I'm just happy he's still getting voice work outside of DC properties.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Not wowed by the poster but I've seen how much worse it could be (French poster).