Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Slow-vi

Thank you, thank you I'll show myself out.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X
You know, it just struck me today that if h-ref's search box can be believed, Ovechkin is the only player in NHL history whose name (first or last) begins with "Ov"

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Also by far the best, at least until Dmitry Ovchinnikov breaks out.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ya’ll say this poo poo about Ovi every year and then he goes and racks up 40 goals.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

That Corey Perry is still in this league (and likely gonna get into the hall of fame on the first ballot) while my sweet, gentle boy Phil Kessel is not
it's a damned travesty

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Cartoon Man posted:

Ya’ll say this poo poo about Ovi every year and then he goes and racks up 40 goals.

Ya but this time

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

That Corey Perry is still in this league (and likely gonna get into the hall of fame on the first ballot) while my sweet, gentle boy Phil Kessel is not
it's a damned travesty

Apparently he still wants to play but i like to think Kessel is one of the guys who is more than happy to go play golf/gamble and ride off into the sunset. I mean he is the reigning ironman, won his cups, made Steve Simmonds look like an rear end in a top hat (more than usual), what else is there to do?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

The Caps trying to force stuff to Ovechkin is not a small factor in why they suck and I hope they keep doing it.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

I don't think Ovi will play past this contract so if he doesn't hit 30 this year, he isn't gonna break the record.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

WeaponX posted:

Apparently he still wants to play but i like to think Kessel is one of the guys who is more than happy to go play golf/gamble and ride off into the sunset. I mean he is the reigning ironman, won his cups, made Steve Simmonds look like an rear end in a top hat (more than usual), what else is there to do?

it'd be cool to see him hit the 1000 but I guess it's not gonna be the thing that makes or breaks his legacy

I could see him getting in on as a family with his sister like the lesser Staals surely will with Eric

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Acting as a booster for a murderous dictator didn't break his legacy so I think he'll be fine.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Aphrodite posted:

Acting as a booster for a murderous dictator didn't break his legacy so I think he'll be fine.

wait Kessel did what?

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

wait Kessel did what?

All the Penguins did when they went to the white house.

But also yes I conflated your post with the one above it.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

I don't think Ovi will play past this contract so if he doesn't hit 30 this year, he isn't gonna break the record.

Short of him being physically incapable of continuing to play, I don't see any universe where he retires prior to breaking the record. He's 73 back, assuming he's good for 20ish per year from here on out he'll likely just keep plugging away until he gets then there immediately retire.

Simplex
Jun 29, 2003

wait Kessel did what?

Don't google Kessel Pol Pot

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Aphrodite posted:

The Caps trying to force stuff to Ovechkin is not a small factor in why they suck and I hope they keep doing it.

It is a pretty small factor. The big factor is that they are a very old and very slow team.

The one game this year I saw of the Caps (against the Pens of course) Ovi had a couple plausible looks and passed, as he always has. They might be trying to force stuff to him but he still isn't going Full Bourque and forcing every possible shot.

ThinkTank posted:

Short of him being physically incapable of continuing to play, I don't see any universe where he retires prior to breaking the record. He's 73 back, assuming he's good for 20ish per year from here on out he'll likely just keep plugging away until he gets then there immediately retire.

Would be awesome if when they stop the game and have a ceremony after he pots #895 he just says "yep my job here is done", drops the mic and leaves the ice, never to return.

Pretty sure he'll at least stick around long enough to hit 900 though.

Wonderllama
Mar 15, 2003

anyone wanna andreyfuck?
wanna see old man ovi do the "hot stick" with his cane as he walks out of the caps arena for the last time just short of waynes record

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Ovechkin's volume stopped improving the Capitals a good 10 years ago and instead just siphoned shots other people should have taken.

A shot not taken has a 141 and 2/3 chance of not going in.The numbers don't lie.

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe
I dunno if Ovechkin is the problem with the Caps. Backstrom and Kuznetsov no longer being elite players seems like a much bigger issue. Caps kinda need them to rebound and be effective if they're going to threaten to make the playoffs.

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
they should just park Ovi in front of the net and let Carlson and Sandin try to blast deflections off him

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Jamwad Hilder posted:

they should just park Ovi in front of the net and let Carlson and Sandin try to blast deflections off him

Ovi’s been doing that a lot the past year or two, occasionally on the power play.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Well I know what I'm excited for.... Vancouver and Philly tonight.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

If he scores in the 20s this year I'm not sure he's scoring 20 in 4 years.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
https://twitter.com/russohockey/status/1714301304150073470?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Seems like half the league is playing short a man due to cap issues, not ideal for the NHLPA

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

If he scores in the 20s this year I'm not sure he's scoring 20 in 4 years.

Sure but if he scores an average of 15 a year he only has to stick around until he's 41. Plus it's likely he'll get at least 25 this year. A guy who takes that volume of shots and is force fed as many pp minutes and attacking zone faceoffs as Ovi is will inevitably score that many. It's arguable if he's providing a positive contribution and at this point more talented players could do more with that opportunity.

Still, it's the bad team phenomenon. A hockey team isn't going to get shut out 82 times a year no matter how bad they are. Someone is going to score even if they're no good and they'll likely have what appears to be a decent statistical season as a result. Florida cashed in on that for a decade by trading guys like Jokinen, Bouwmeester and Booth. Washington will likely experience something similar with Ovi.

The Dirty Burger
Aug 24, 2007

1st team all star
+
2nd degree manslaughter
=
3rd world clothing line
Gotta be a middle ground between the league marketing their star players and this

https://twitter.com/nhldotcom/status/1713983134314717324?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Starsfan
Sep 29, 2007

This is what happens when you disrespect Cam Neely

rex rabidorum vires posted:

Well I know what I'm excited for.... Vancouver and Philly tonight.

I'm most excited for Dallas clowning Vegas in their own building, followed closely by Juuse Saros's 50+ save shutout of the Oilers

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

The Dirty Burger posted:

Gotta be a middle ground between the league marketing their star players and this

https://twitter.com/nhldotcom/status/1713983134314717324?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Jfc

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mIxqoxogBOY

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

The Dirty Burger posted:

https://twitter.com/russohockey/status/1714301304150073470?s=46&t=2hVb1vPytx9OUpdE0UPz6Q

Seems like half the league is playing short a man due to cap issues, not ideal for the NHLPA

If the cap were $170M half the league would still be playing a man short. That has nothing to do with the NHLPA, front offices are some combination of incompetent and willing to push the LTIR fuckery envelope alllll the way to the edge.

That the cap is as low as it is, now, that's not ideal for the NHLPA!

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN

Starsfan posted:

I'm most excited for Dallas clowning Vegas in their own building, followed closely by Juuse Saros's 50+ save shutout of the Oilers

These are also excellent choices of fun. Dallas/VGK way to late for my EST school night bedtime though. Maybe also under the radar is the ESPN televised 40% xGF Buffalo Sabres taking on the 35% xGF Tampa Bay Lightning.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

https://twitter.com/TimCPeel20/status/1714262597741002890

Number 1 this move rocks

Number 2: Roenick and Tim Peel together is super cursed goddamn

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Normally I think players coming in real slow on a shootout attempt is a mistake and they'd be better off skating down hard, making one move and taking the shot. But against a goalie who clearly is messed up mentally right now such as Markstrom, slow as possible is a good strategy. Give him all the time in the world to think.

Precambrian Video Games
Aug 19, 2002

Tim Peel is an expert on being a disgrace to the game, I'd listen to what he has to say.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

Number 1 this move rocks

This move was really awesome, but it's not going to work that well on any goalie that's awake. Goes to show that if you know the person you're shooting against you can really get in their head.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

Number 1 this move rocks

:agreed:

Whiny loser poo poo from Tim Peel, what else is new

Chad Sexington
May 26, 2005

I think he made a beautiful post and did a great job and he is good.

Jhet posted:

This move was really awesome, but it's not going to work that well on any goalie that's awake. Goes to show that if you know the person you're shooting against you can really get in their head.

Kuzy is like 45% on the shootout and he does this all the time against good goalies. It's hard for goalies to match that slow tempo so they wind up deeper in their net than they mean to and all the stick handles means they can't set their feet.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Lmao I wondered how long it was gonna be for the hot take to drop after watching Kuzy’s shootout last night.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Has anybody else tried to copy it yet? He’s been doing this successfully for like more than two years now. Is it hard as gently caress to do?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Nissin Cup Nudist
Sep 3, 2011

Sleep with one eye open

We're off to Gritty Gritty land

Number 1 this move rocks

Wait, is this a legit Tim Peel twitter account