Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

DeadBonesBrook
May 31, 2011

How do you do, fellow Regis?

ThatBasqueGuy posted:

Eneis Lobby is gonna be Maris Jeoise and the toppling of the WG and/or the redline, I can feel it

Eagerly awaiting Luffy vs. Niles Crane.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

luchadornado
Oct 7, 2004

A boombox is not a toy!

Tampa Bae posted:

Karoo: Parents are ducks

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

Tampa Bae posted:

Brook is definitely the oldest but he spent most of his life as a wandering spirit, so has like a hundred year gap in knowledge. As far as functional adults, Robin and Franky are 30 something and Jinbei is like 40? Brook probably died at 40-50 and spent a long time doing nothing

Sorry I should have clarified I meant when Brooke 'died' for his age compared to Jinbei.

GATOS Y VATOS
Aug 22, 2002

:sickos:

This is praxis

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

GATOS Y VATOS posted:

:sickos:

This is praxis
word

DizzyBum
Apr 16, 2007

Paper Lion posted:

i am throwing my hat into the theory that the celestial dragons are pets kept by the gorosei so they can farm all the suffering they cause for garmonbozia

Please no. I want One Piece to have an actual ending, not a David Lynch mindfuck.

(That's not to say I don't like David Lynch mindfucks. Just not here!)

Heroic Yoshimitsu
Jan 15, 2008

I do fear there’s going to be some kind of cop out ending for the CDs that sees them not have to repent/pay for what they’ve done. Like, it’ll be revealed they’re kind controlled by Imu and by beating him it turns the CDs into good guys who can’t REALLY be blamed for they did

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

I do fear there’s going to be some kind of cop out ending for the CDs that sees them not have to repent/pay for what they’ve done. Like, it’ll be revealed they’re kind controlled by Imu and by beating him it turns the CDs into good guys who can’t REALLY be blamed for they did

Hard doubt.

They literally killed the one CD who repented his ways.

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!

Heroic Yoshimitsu posted:

Doubtful. I do think the good guys won't personally exact bloody revenge but kuma's flashback does not suggest CD redemption in the works.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

ZepiaEltnamOberon posted:

Hard doubt.

They literally killed the one CD who repented his ways.

Yeah between this and the Genocide Game Oda is doing a lot to make them the worst people in the world.

Irony Be My Shield
Jul 29, 2012

I think Mjosgard's heroic stand may inspire other CDs to change their ways, given that is just how One Piece works. But yeah I don't think they're getting redeemed or forgiven for free

CharlestonJew
Jul 7, 2011

Illegal Hen
considering what happens to villains in OP they most likely won't be slaughtered en masse, but the Baratie will have a LOT more staff soon

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

Akainu, on the other hand… I feel like Oda is starting to cook up his face turn

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

I'm not sure Sakazuki will ever get formally redeemed but he definitely just does not have the juice to be a major villain going forward. He's merely an agent of the machine, he embodies it. He's something that will have to be overcome in some way, but he's already losing the fight, and he's been losing since before he was ever introduced. He's honestly less detestable than a Rob Lucci type because to my recollection he doesn't even really derive pleasure from committing atrocities, they're just necessary to him. He hates pirates, but he has no feelings about the things he has to do to kill them. And in his current position as Fleet Admiral, he feels incredibly stifled and trapped by the crushing weight of bureaucracy.

My guess is Blackbeard will end up killing him or something.

Rigged Death Trap
Feb 13, 2012

BEEP BEEP BEEP BEEP

Arist posted:

I'm not sure Sakazuki will ever get formally redeemed but he definitely just does not have the juice to be a major villain going forward. He's merely an agent of the machine, he embodies it. He's something that will have to be overcome in some way, but he's already losing the fight, and he's been losing since before he was ever introduced. He's honestly less detestable than a Rob Lucci type because to my recollection he doesn't even really derive pleasure from committing atrocities, they're just necessary to him. He hates pirates, but he has no feelings about the things he has to do to kill them. And in his current position as Fleet Admiral, he feels incredibly stifled and trapped by the crushing weight of bureaucracy.

Theres definitely something being cooked up by SWORD. Whether itll be a big anti pirate plan or some plan to change the WG from the inside hasnt been clear yet.

Theres gonna be a difference whether a marine just hates pirates and outlaws or hates injustice, and I think in ryogokyu we have an admiral that only believes the former, but akainu is probably both.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
The strawhats won't go around snapping the neck of every cd on screen. but they'll probably get thoughtlessly mulched by imu or something.

Better thought: akainu snaps and crisps em

Super Rad
Feb 15, 2003
Sir Loin of Beef

Farg posted:

:agreed: The amoral absolute justice man should definitely melt all their faces and then offer himself up to make up for his failures.

Pureauthor
Jul 8, 2010

ASK ME ABOUT KISSING A GHOST
Sakazuki should punch one of the Elder Stars/Planets

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

I would like to see Saint Charlos get the same magma facial that Whitebeard and Kuma received

Wii Spawn Camper
Nov 25, 2005

Farg posted:

The strawhats won't go around snapping the neck of every cd on screen. but they'll probably get thoughtlessly mulched by imu or something.

Robin’s gonna personally snap them all at once

Bisse
Jun 26, 2005

Wii Spawn Camper posted:

Robin’s gonna personally snap them all at once

Actually I would love if they spend an entire chapter convincing everyone to forgive them because they were mind controlled and people are buying it whole sale, and at the very end just before being forgiven robin gives them all a ride on the bone-grinder clutch carousel.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!
just simul-crush all their junk so they're the last generation of dragons

DrakePegasus
Jan 30, 2009

It was Plundersaurus Rex's dream to be the greatest pirate dragon ever.

The Celestial Dragons have the worst possible punishment for rich bastards; being ordinary people who work customer service at the new worldwide food chain, McSabo’s.

Cat Machine
Jun 18, 2008

DrakePegasus posted:

The Celestial Dragons have the worst possible punishment for rich bastards; being ordinary people who work customer service at the new worldwide food chain, McSabo’s.
Ballywood’s finest export, the pride of King Ham Burger

CatstropheWaitress
Nov 26, 2017

Even if they aren't just chow for the Five Elders, I do think there's a very, very grisly end in store for CD's. They're cattle of some sort, given how little actual influence they seem to have.

Begemot
Oct 14, 2012

The One True Oden

I really hope there's not some ~secret explanation~ for the Celestial Dragons existing. They're just the descendents of former royalty, and the people supporting them simply believe in the social order.

They're awful, but that's just how hereditary nobility works, there's no need for some dumb twist.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Yeah, any reason for their existence ends up justifying the hierarchy

Eiba
Jul 26, 2007

Arist posted:

All true. But have you considered: he killed Ace right in front of Luffy?

He's certainly been diminished by his promotion, but having that pivotal moment of the whole story to his name is going to give him narrative weight that can't just be swept aside casually.

Even if he's not the final villain like some people were adamant about in years past, he's going to have to have a meaningful encounter with Luffy as part of this story's climax.

Or Sabo. If anyone who's not Luffy takes him out it'll be Sabo.

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

Sabo might have an altercation with him, maybe. Luffy, I can't really see at this juncture. In a lot of ways, the current state of the world is already Sakazuki's karmic punishment for that moment.

e: even if Luffy does fight him I don't think it will be a massive brawl, which is the point I was making anyway

Wachter
Mar 23, 2007

You and whose knees?

Sakazuki will probably grudgingly fight to the bitter end for his favourite brand of Justice, and we'll get a heart-rending flashback that culminates at the exact moment that Sabo or Luffy or whoever punches him through the volcano he's made

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN

Arist posted:

don't know if i agree with this. oda's gonna have a backstory for him that makes us understand why he is so dogmatic and it's gonna give a lot of juice to his villainy

tbp
Mar 1, 2008

DU WIRST NIEMALS ALLEINE MARSCHIEREN
akainus also outrageously strong to the point that idt any non-luffy character is reasonably going to be able to beat him wihtin the story's logic. he went toe to toe with whitebeard and like 10 minutes after getting blasted into a crater he was back and willing to fight all of whitebeard's commanders at once. the guy's definitely top 2 or 3 in the universe, i'd bet he's on par with kaido even

No Wave
Sep 18, 2005

HA! HA! NICE! WHAT A TOOL!
Can a guy with cool hawaiian shirts be ALL bad?

Star Platinum
May 5, 2010

Rigged Death Trap posted:

Theres gonna be a difference whether a marine just hates pirates and outlaws or hates injustice, and I think in ryogokyu we have an admiral that only believes the former, but akainu is probably both.

"A scholar might have snuck on board, better massacre these civilians just to be safe"
"Deserting or demanding a ceasefire? I sentence you to death, on the spot, by me"

- Akainu, famed hater of injustice

Arist
Feb 13, 2012

who, me?

You're thinking about this in terms of shonen power rankings, which I don't think is exactly wrong but I also don't find particularly applicable here. I'm prioritizing the story dynamics, and he just isn't really a presence anymore. He's already had to compromise basically everything that he is. What would fighting him mean now? The Marines are already on the back foot, if Luffy fights him it won't be a big show of dominance and strength, it'll be Sakazuki desperately trying to hold onto what little control the Marines still have.

That's not to say we're not going to get a more thorough repudiation or at least explanation of his absolute justice, but I don't think he makes sense as a big arc villain these days.

mikeycp
Nov 24, 2010

I've changed a lot since I started hanging with Sonic, but I can't depend on him forever. I know I can do this by myself! Okay, Eggman! Bring it on!

Star Platinum posted:

"A scholar might have snuck on board, better massacre these civilians just to be safe"
"Deserting or demanding a ceasefire? I sentence you to death, on the spot, by me"

- Akainu, famed hater of injustice

famously objective concept, justice

Gyges
Aug 4, 2004

NOW NO ONE
RECOGNIZE HULK

Begemot posted:

I really hope there's not some ~secret explanation~ for the Celestial Dragons existing. They're just the descendents of former royalty, and the people supporting them simply believe in the social order.

They're awful, but that's just how hereditary nobility works, there's no need for some dumb twist.

When they were first introduced they were basically just standard hereditary nobility degenerates. Oda's gone out of his way to make them way worse than that. We're literally starting a story about their triennial genocide games.

Havoc904
Jul 29, 2006

A school festival is a festival that takes place at our school!

DeadBonesBrook posted:

Eagerly awaiting Luffy vs. Niles Crane.

Havoc904 posted:

From a Frasier group on facebook:

Frasier & One Piece, the perfect alignment of my interests

Funky Valentine
Feb 26, 2014

Dojyaa~an

The fact that we haven't heard about this game until now makes me think that it gets abolished after whatever goes down at God Valley.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

scary ghost dog
Aug 5, 2007

Funky Valentine posted:

The fact that we haven't heard about this game until now makes me think that it gets abolished after whatever goes down at God Valley.

my theory is that it hasnt been three years since god valley yet