Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Bread Set Jettison posted:

Oh man also if The fire devil is a Prometheus reference, then I bet we’re about to get a lot of unintended consequences

How so?

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Happy Landfill
Feb 26, 2011

I don't understand but I've also heard much worse
the Death Devil being both the Great King and also Nayuuta and Fami's Sister is very gender of Fujimoto and I dig it :hmmyes:

Popo
Apr 24, 2008

Homestuck is a true work of art surpassing all of Shakespeare's works.

Happy Landfill posted:

the Death Devil being both the Great King and also Nayuuta and Fami's Sister is very gender of Fujimoto and I dig it :hmmyes:

"Gender? I hardly know her." ~ Fujimoto

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

I R SMART LIKE ROCK posted:

with the church theme and kumbaya my lord. it could simply be the religion devil. there should be some overlap in devil powers. like flamethrower devil probably isn't the only fire themed devil

hahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

better lucky than good

Julias
Jun 24, 2012

Strum in a harmonizing quartet
I want to cause a revolution

What can I do? My savage
nature is beyond wild

CharlestonJew posted:

Chainsaw Man rules

Eimi posted:

The future rules.

Blockhouse
Sep 7, 2014

You Win!
You know poo poo's bad when even Denji's aware of just how bad it is

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

yum posted:

Uh, how can you make people fear War and Chainsaw without simultaneously making them fear death? You're afraid of them because they lead to death! Their concepts are entwined, so Fami would also be buffing the Death Devil!!

What *powerful* fears aren't connected to death? ...the cringe/social embarrassment that Asa constantly feels? lol

If you fear war and chainsaws, you also fear being crippled for life and misery. A lot of people trapped in a war or a shed filled with chainsaws falling on them end up fearing not dying, a lot more than just death!

AnoHito
May 8, 2014

Torn be being terrified of Death showing up in person, and really wanting to see what insane design/personality Fujimoto has for her

Mindblast
Jun 28, 2006

Moving at the speed of death.

Instead of trying to make people be less afraid of death Fami's going all in on the other option. It really is a devil's way of thinking.

PirateZim
Apr 24, 2005

i bet the death devil is just like pochita

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Prometheus being usually used to reference unintended consequences and overreaching. Considering how often Fujimoto references classics i wouldn’t be surprised if he does it again.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Libluini posted:

If you fear war and chainsaws, you also fear being crippled for life and misery. A lot of people trapped in a war or a shed filled with chainsaws falling on them end up fearing not dying, a lot more than just death!

Right. Balancing the scale between the primordial and instinctual fear of death universal to all living creatures vs the more complex types of fears that separate humans from animals. Cool

Space Cadet Omoly
Jan 15, 2014

~Groovy~

The fire devil is definitely going to be Seigi Akoku, that dude everyone has been saying looks like Agni from Fire Punch since he showed up. I actually think the original Seigi Akoku died back when Yuko attacked the school, then the Fire Devil took over his corpse and he became the fire fiend. He uses his hat and eyepatch to hide the fact he now has a fiend head. And that's my guess on how that works.

Farg
Nov 19, 2013
death devil is basically at the tip of the devil pyramid scheme. getting residuals on almost every other fear

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Farg posted:

death devil is basically at the tip of the devil pyramid scheme. getting residuals on almost every other fear

Eternity Devil is its natural arch enemy though

Libluini
May 18, 2012

I gravitated towards the Greens, eventually even joining the party itself.

The Linke is a party I grudgingly accept exists, but I've learned enough about DDR-history I can't bring myself to trust a party that was once the SED, a party leading the corrupt state apparatus ...
Grimey Drawer

yum posted:

Right. Balancing the scale between the primordial and instinctual fear of death universal to all living creatures vs the more complex types of fears that separate humans from animals. Cool

I'm not even really sure that's Human-only emotions. Recently, my mother's old dog was so ill she had him put down, but the poor bastard accepted death so gladly and peacefully, he made the vet administering the poison weep. That's at least one animal that really didn't want to live anymore.

Also now I'm imagining some sort of Dr. Kevorkian-type superhero wandering Chainsawman's world, peacefully bringing death, causing death devil's power to crater at inconvenient moments.

yum
Oct 27, 2005

Only good things will come
to someone like
you.

Libluini posted:

I'm not even really sure that's Human-only emotions. Recently, my mother's old dog was so ill she had him put down, but the poor bastard accepted death so gladly and peacefully, he made the vet administering the poison weep. That's at least one animal that really didn't want to live anymore.

Also now I'm imagining some sort of Dr. Kevorkian-type superhero wandering Chainsawman's world, peacefully bringing death, causing death devil's power to crater at inconvenient moments.

Sorry to hear about your mother's dog.

I guess I am being too anthropocentric. I'm looking forward to how Fujimoto addresses this. CSM is good!!

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you
Fire Devil also sounds like a primal fear devil.

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

MonsterEnvy posted:

yeah everything is pretty much afraid of fire

Cephas
May 11, 2009

Humanity's real enemy is me!
Hya hya foowah!

yeah everything is pretty much afraid of fire

Except for my boy Denji.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

MonsterEnvy posted:

It's interesting because fire is a source of great terror but fire is also arguably humanity's first big weapon against fear as well.

Snooze Cruise
Feb 16, 2013

hey look,
a post
oh no...fire is v scary... be careful my favorite characters

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Cephas posted:

Except for my boy Denji.

god what a great loving panel. I'm too dumb for your ingenious plan to work

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

god what a great loving panel. I'm too dumb for your ingenious plan to work

He's the world's dumbest genius, or its smartest moron.

PringleCreamEgg
Jul 2, 2004

Sleep, rest, do your best.
It’s very cool to be reading a manga that is very obviously going to be remembered as an all time great
series.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Adun
Apr 15, 2001

Publicola
Fun Shoe
Awesome to see payoffs to things from a year ago.

GhostofJohnMuir
Aug 14, 2014

anime is not good
man part 1 showed what an intense general disdain fujimoto had for the yakuza, i guess in part 2 is going to be the moonies

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Minor detail this chapter, compared to the main events, but with the timeline update, we now know Denji's eighteen, and had his birthday before the theater date.

Also, there's a movie called "Chainsaw Man Vs. Shark."

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

chiasaur11 posted:

Minor detail this chapter, compared to the main events, but with the timeline update, we now know Denji's eighteen, and had his birthday before the theater date.

Also, there's a movie called "Chainsaw Man Vs. Shark."

Poor Beam

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

So Makiyuta being a sister to other horsemen means 'Conquest' makes just as much sense as 'Control' right?

It's very much the same domain but also way better fits Makima's description of how she could gain power.

GloomMouse
Mar 6, 2007

Ranzear posted:

So Makiyuta being a sister to other horsemen means 'Conquest' makes just as much sense as 'Control' right?

It's very much the same domain but also way better fits Makima's description of how she could gain power.

CSM Control as Biblical Conquest seems to fit best, yeah. Especially, given the interpretation that wars of conquest might not be inherently 'bad' or immoral, with Makima stopping the madness star and weakening War (as in civil war which is the definite bad kind). Hence Conquest gets the White horse, but also they're still harbingers of the end so it's.. not great when they show up lol

EDIT: Basically the four horseman and what they represent is kinda all over the place so Fujimoto can do what he wants

GloomMouse fucked around with this message at 06:29 on Oct 18, 2023

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Ranzear posted:

The Japanese phrase is the same as used for conquest the horseman, yes. It's just that it could also be translated as control, and the original context made the more mundane term seem more relevant.

Ranzear
Jul 25, 2013

GloomMouse posted:

EDIT: Basically the four horseman and what they represent is kinda all over the place so Fujimoto can do what he wants

It can also just straight up be five, but sometimes Gabriel riding while blowing the horn is the 5th, sometimes Conquest is the 5th, and sometimes Conquest just randomly replaces one of the other four (Death, Pestilence, Famine, War).

It also seems really stealthy and intentional to go with 'Control' instead of 'Conquest' in part one, but is probably just a happy accident.

MonsterEnvy
Feb 4, 2012

Shocked I tell you

Ranzear posted:

It can also just straight up be five, but sometimes Gabriel riding while blowing the horn is the 5th, sometimes Conquest is the 5th, and sometimes Conquest just randomly replaces one of the other four (Death, Pestilence, Famine, War).

It also seems really stealthy and intentional to go with 'Control' instead of 'Conquest' in part one, but is probably just a happy accident.

Well she was named the control devil, before it was revealed she was part of a four horsemen set representing conquest. Also Conquest is the original 1st Rider. Pestilence replacing them is a later thing.

galagazombie
Oct 31, 2011

A silly little mouse!
Well only death is ever actually named in the Bible, as in there text says “Yo this guy on the horse’s name’s Death” the other three are described but not explicitly named. Giving rise to all kinds of interpretations like the White Rider being Jesus, Conquest, or Pestilence.

Bread Set Jettison
Jan 8, 2009

Fun fact: the 3rd horsemen, Famine, is sometimes viewed as Justice

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
glad we got through the setup for a lot of what's about to happen. we're clearly escalating very quickly here and the call out that War is going to get powered up means Asa might just dunk Yoshida

Eggplant Squire
Aug 14, 2003

I don't quite understand the significance of the Fire devil reveal. Would things have been any different if it was just known what devil was harassing Asa this entire time? Neither Justice or Fire has had any personal involvement so it doesn't really seem like it's a big deal that one faceless devil isnactual some other faceless devil especially when their powers are so abstract

Eggplant Squire fucked around with this message at 15:06 on Oct 18, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Jerkface
May 21, 2001

HOW DOES IT FEEL TO BE DEAD, MOTHERFUCKER?

Eggplant Squire posted:

I don't quite understand the significance of the Fire devil reveal. Would things have been any different if it was just known what devil was harassing Asa this entire time? Neither Justice oflr Fire has had any personal involvement so it doesn't really seem like it's a big deal that one faceless devil isnactual some other faceless devil especially when their powers are so abstract

I think there's a few things:

Obviously because the manga is about and features many devil's, hiding the true devil is just part of the fun. There are reasons to do this outside of just being pointless sleight of hand though. It sets the readers expectation and then subverts them. It can recontextualize how we have viewed the earlier effects of the contracted and their powers. It lets us find out there's a devil namer. Its a twist in the motivations of this faction and the people contacted to it. It shows some of the character behind the cult and it's leaders. They could have just said it all at the beginning (we're telling them it's justice but it's really fire) but it's better if the reader is led to believe that all these yokels think they're out for justice when the twist is they were all manipulated from the start. I didn't look at this as some omg big devil reveal but more a reveal and the motivations and traits of a primary antagonist group.