Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.
Best in franchise
XXX
XXX: State of the Union
XXX: Return of Xander Cage
Namtab
View Results

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?
Fun times in Cleveland again
STILL CLEVELAND

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe
I mean if you're into it, go wild. tho I do love grapefruit and citrus in general

I R SMART LIKE ROCK
Mar 10, 2003

I just want a hug.

Fun Shoe

Arc Hammer posted:

STILL CLEVELAND

my northern brethren, Cleveland is still leagues above much of the SE

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
Anybody else going back and watching obscure and old series for the hell of it? I got bored enough to start rewatching Sherlock Hound and it's as pleasant and standard as I remember it being, that is all.

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

https://twitter.com/HeadExposure/status/1714400870320718094?s=20

Lol Jigen Wick

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

Turbinosamente posted:

Anybody else going back and watching obscure and old series for the hell of it? I got bored enough to start rewatching Sherlock Hound and it's as pleasant and standard as I remember it being, that is all.

i'm at all times watching some 00s show that no one talks about anymore. currently it's Rental Magica

symbolic
Nov 2, 2014

Tales of Woe posted:

i'm at all times watching some 00s show that no one talks about anymore. currently it's Rental Magica

got a top 3 recs...?

Ibram Gaunt
Jul 22, 2009

It's violence, towards me, specifically, that it's not Friday yet.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

symbolic posted:

got a top 3 recs...?

simoun
stellvia
oh! edo rocket

i think people talk about simoun again these days though maybe

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Tales of Woe posted:

simoun
stellvia
oh! edo rocket

i think people talk about simoun again these days though maybe

I hear it come up every once in awhile. Certainly far more than the other two.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

Think my 00s show of choice that doesn't get talked about much these days is Major, though admittedly since it has never been licensed (though the Boruto-esque sequel series has!) it's something that's only watched by those who actively seek it out. Which is a shame since if it were on Crunchyroll or something I think it could find an audience - I'm sure there are plenty of sports anime likers out there that would dig the kind of sports anime in which time keeps on progressing, the characters growing noticeably older, etc instead of solely focusing on high school sports.

Shinjobi
Jul 10, 2008

Gravy Boat 2k

I'm gonna watch this, lol

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
I cannot think of any 00s anime because I somehow wind up watching 80s and 90s anime. Hence I dearly love Ghost Sweeper Mikami, and nobody talks about that one even though it's free on YouTube. Extremely 90s as gently caress though, lecherous dude character and fish bowl eyes and all.

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

my personal 00's show nobody talks about of choice is el cazador, which I only ever see mentioned off-handedly when people talk about the other girls with guns shows even though it's the best and gayest of them.

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

those shows get talked about enough on here that i didnt consider them but maybe they are completely unknown to the rest of the net idk

BlitznBurst
Feb 28, 2019

I mean I definitely see Simoun get talked about way more than El Cazador, as far as "weird queer anime from the 2000s" go it's basically the frontrunner and it also has mari okada factor. If you want really obscure though then I am also a big fan of Cosmic Baton Girl Comet-San

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

for early 2000's
I really liked Scrapped Princess, Kiddy Grade, Hikaru no Go, Banner/Crest of the Stars

Captain Invictus
Apr 5, 2005

Try reading some manga!

Clever Betty
Scrapped princess is great. Pretty decently handled twist too.

I remember ordering the dvd box set with the figurine on clearance and it arrived with the head upside down in the box window, so before opening you could see the top of her head was resting on the neck stump

Tales of Woe
Dec 18, 2004

scrapped princess is alright, i didnt like it as much as chaika which is basically the same director & writer running it back a decade later

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022

Srice posted:

Think my 00s show of choice that doesn't get talked about much these days is Major, though admittedly since it has never been licensed (though the Boruto-esque sequel series has!) it's something that's only watched by those who actively seek it out. Which is a shame since if it were on Crunchyroll or something I think it could find an audience - I'm sure there are plenty of sports anime likers out there that would dig the kind of sports anime in which time keeps on progressing, the characters growing noticeably older, etc instead of solely focusing on high school sports.

2/3 through this and I have kind of turned on Goro, the show just seems willing to give him everything with no real change or compromise on his behalf. Dude just plays through significant injury and drops into the US ignorant and unprepared but is trucking along. I see the value in his stubbornness and romanticism about sports at times but it's definitely a balancing act that is holding up worse for me than those first couple seasons.

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com

Arc Hammer posted:

STILL CLEVELAND

Cleveland Rocks!!

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Niche 00s picks...maybe Brigadoon, Windy Tales, and Red Garden. There's definitely a good handful of stuff more so it's hard to choose.

Turbinosamente
May 29, 2013

Lights on, Lights off
All I remember about Scrapped Princess is that it's the logical endpoint for the Arthur C. Clarke quote "any sufficiently advanced technology is indistinguishable from magic."

Is Ultimate Muscle: Kinninkuman Legacy an early 2000s show? I'll likely be watching it soon regardless.

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

haypliss posted:

2/3 through this and I have kind of turned on Goro, the show just seems willing to give him everything with no real change or compromise on his behalf. Dude just plays through significant injury and drops into the US ignorant and unprepared but is trucking along. I see the value in his stubbornness and romanticism about sports at times but it's definitely a balancing act that is holding up worse for me than those first couple seasons.

That's understandable. Characterization-wise I found he picks up a lot in the final season but until then I really enjoyed the minor league stuff going on since it's rare for a sports anime/manga to explore that to the extent that Major does.

haypliss
Oct 2, 2022
Coming to it after Gurazeni (which was great) does reduce some of that novelty I suppose. Only took over a decade for them to make a second anime covering that stuff. :v:

RareAcumen
Dec 28, 2012

Once again, Endorph, I wanna say thanks for providing all that info on Togashi's thoughts since depending on who you ask, every popular manga was intended to end in 40 chapters and just got forced to continue like Kojima making MGS sequels after 3.

Now I know two mangaka that've hit a point where they're like 'Well, I think I've done everything I can with these characters... I don't know what else I can do at this point.' between him and Araki. I wonder how common that is?

Paracelsus
Apr 6, 2009

bless this post ~kya

Arc Hammer posted:

STILL CLEVELAND

Are the trains still carrying jobs out of Cleveland?

Srice
Sep 11, 2011

haypliss posted:

Coming to it after Gurazeni (which was great) does reduce some of that novelty I suppose. Only took over a decade for them to make a second anime covering that stuff. :v:

Haha yeah I watched it before Gurazeni's anime came out so when Gurazeni finally came along I was excited to see another show that brought it up.

Waffleman_
Jan 20, 2011

I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna I don't wanna!!!

Paracelsus posted:

The economy is no longer based around LeBron James

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Paracelsus posted:

Actually they had a renaissance and they're still not Detroit!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=QIbmT2Rs8vw

Runa
Feb 13, 2011

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n0CT8zrw6lw

GateOfD
Jan 31, 2023

by Fluffdaddy

(and can't post for 8 days!)

RareAcumen posted:

Once again, Endorph, I wanna say thanks for providing all that info on Togashi's thoughts since depending on who you ask, every popular manga was intended to end in 40 chapters and just got forced to continue like Kojima making MGS sequels after 3.

Now I know two mangaka that've hit a point where they're like 'Well, I think I've done everything I can with these characters... I don't know what else I can do at this point.' between him and Araki. I wonder how common that is?

it does take steel balls to go 'yep, that was one hell of a run, time to just close the book on decades of character and history' and just start off anew

verbal enema
May 23, 2009

onlymarfans.com
Will not be going to CLEVELAND cuz the lil bro has an animation project to finish

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

ohio has awful roads

The Colonel
Jun 8, 2013

I commute by bike!

BlitznBurst posted:

I mean I definitely see Simoun get talked about way more than El Cazador, as far as "weird queer anime from the 2000s" go it's basically the frontrunner and it also has mari okada factor. If you want really obscure though then I am also a big fan of Cosmic Baton Girl Comet-San

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dBzcNQVbqnM

Endorph
Jul 22, 2009

RareAcumen posted:

That's also why Toriyama ended Dragon Ball. The story about it being meant to end at frieza specifically isn't real, but he's said in interviews that he originally planned it to just be a short manga and the first dragon ball hunt arc to be the whole thing. But it wasn't very popular when that arc ended - a lot less so than Dr. Slump, his previous work - so he wanted to make it at least as popular as Slump before it did. That's why it introduced tournament arcs and more emphasis on action and such, since that sort of thing was becoming more popular.

Then it became so popular that he had difficulty ending it. The blurb at the end of the King Piccolo arc (the dividing line between the original series and Z in the anime) mentions the manga'll go 'just a little longer,' and uhhh, it sure did, lol.

marumaru
May 20, 2013

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RVIe2hwysW0

homeless snail
Mar 14, 2007

powerful. I just say etoile

Meowywitch
Jan 14, 2010

Fight for all that is beautiful in the world

isnt an etoile a sword

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU