Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

You cheated not only the game, but yourself.
But most of all, you cheated BABA

This thread sells books

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Deptfordx posted:

Milton Keyes. Those concrete cows are up to something. :colbert:

Can we get urban design fantasy about Milton Keynes? Or whatever the genre is where the cities themselves are characters?

Like seriously, it's a 1960s experiment in creating a city from the ground up in a country where every other city grew organically over hundreds to thousands of years. It's a shambling beast created by mad science.

anilEhilated
Feb 17, 2014

But I say fuck the rain.

Grimey Drawer
I think one of the Laundry stories takes place there?

Arsenic Lupin
Apr 12, 2012

This particularly rapid💨 unintelligible 😖patter💁 isn't generally heard🧏‍♂️, and if it is🤔, it doesn't matter💁.

Gaius Marius posted:

I just finished the Second of the Merlin sextology of Amber stories. Almost all the same problems I increasingly had with the Corwin stories and more acutely felt with the first of Merlin's; the work is overlong with too many digressions and speculative politicking over having actual movement in the narrative, Merlin himself makes very few actual moves in the narrative besides roaming around and talking to people and with all the extra illegitimate children the Amberites have running around it's getting harder and harder to keep everyone's loyalties and lineages straight. It does end in a more interesting way then all the stories since the first of the Corwin saga though, I'm actually compelled to keep reading actively instead of as an intellectual exercise.

Yeah, everything in Amber after the original series bored me to tears. It's like Dune: great book, at some point the sequels become too much to bear.

e: Jedit, I corrected the post attribution. Sorry!

Arsenic Lupin fucked around with this message at 17:52 on Oct 18, 2023

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
I saw that there were two new Dragonlance books by Hickman& Weiss out so I thought I reread the main 8 books beforehand.

I know it's been almost 30 years but I did not remember how almost each character barely tolerates the others.

Walh Hara
May 11, 2012

branedotorg posted:

new RJ Barker is great, if as ever depressing. Gods of the Wyrdwood, its about a planet that magic can tip with one hemisphere is constantly cold and starving and fighting for their god to win a war, tip the planet back and make themselves warm and rich, until it repeats. No metal, there are huge near sentient woods circling the planet, magic is powerful but eats your brain. You know the kind of hard-scrabble stuff they love.

https://www.amazon.com/Gods-Wyrdwood-Forsaken-Trilogy-Book-ebook/dp/B0BH4KHZSS

I liked the whole book quite a lot except for the epilogue and the last plot twist in particular. A good take on a reluctant protagonist.

Harold Fjord
Jan 3, 2004
Finished the last Children book. Quite liked it. In retrospect the whole series thematically reminds me of the ender series but without all the garbage

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

anilEhilated posted:

I was going to say this, but I couldn't remember if it was a Laundry book or one of Kim Newman's Diogenes Club books. Though it does definitely seem like something that Newman would work with also.

darthbob88
Oct 13, 2011

YOSPOS

anilEhilated posted:

A short story, "The Concrete Jungle". https://web.archive.org/web/20091226101514/http://www.goldengryphon.com/Stross-Concrete.html

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

I saw that there were two new Dragonlance books by Hickman& Weiss out so I thought I reread the main 8 books beforehand.

I know it's been almost 30 years but I did not remember how almost each character barely tolerates the others.

I read all of them circa 1995 (?) when I was elementary/middle school aged. Are they worth revisiting? I recently re-read the first couple of the Drizzt books and felt medium to bad about the experience.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

It was also fixed-up into ~half of the Atrocity Archive, Stross’s first Laundry novel.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
Late to the location bitching but I would love any/more Chicago based urban fantasy. Dresden files don't count.

Admiralty Flag
Jun 7, 2007

to ride eternal, shiny and chrome

THUNDERDOME LOSER 2022

Benagain posted:

Late to the location bitching but I would love any/more Chicago based urban fantasy. Dresden files don't count.
Yeah, it would be nice for someone writing stories taking place in Chicago to actually have a feel for the city's character, or, you know, its general geography.

pradmer
Mar 31, 2009

Follow me for more books on special!
Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YFIV5Y/

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

pradmer posted:

Hull Zero Three by Greg Bear - $1.99
https://www.amazon.com/dp/B003YFIV5Y/

Don’t bother, the premise is great but the execution is bad. I usually like his writing but this was a dud.

algebra testes
Mar 5, 2011

Lipstick Apathy

Awkward Davies posted:

I read all of them circa 1995 (?) when I was elementary/middle school aged. Are they worth revisiting? I recently re-read the first couple of the Drizzt books and felt medium to bad about the experience.

Huh I'd like to know this too.

And also if that super depressing trilogy where Taz ruins the world by being out of the time stream are still mega bummers.

VanillaGorilla
Oct 2, 2003

Awkward Davies posted:

They didn't age well, and a lot of stuff in there is really problematic (looking at you Riverwind and Goldmoon). They're very much of their era of fantasy and looking back...it's probably better that we all kind of collectively moved on.

I mean don't get me wrong, like you all I read and loved them as a teen, but...yeah, they're probably best left to fond remembrance.

Lead out in cuffs
Sep 18, 2012

"That's right. We've evolved."

"I can see that. Cool mutations."

Benagain posted:

Have you read The Shining Girls? It's kinda horror, but also features weird time travel stuff.

Edit: Lauren Beukes is in no way from Chicago, but the book is good, and I kinda trust that she did her homework. There's also a lot of intersectional feminist history in there.

Lead out in cuffs fucked around with this message at 02:30 on Oct 19, 2023

Awkward Davies
Sep 3, 2009
Grimey Drawer
My three favorite speculative fiction novels based in London that no one asked for and one person specifically asked not to receive*:

Neverwhere by Neil Gaiman
Kraken by China Mieville
The Angel of the Crows by Katherine Addison aka Sarah Monette

*The ones I can think of right now/also possibly the only London based speculative fiction I’ve read

Awkward Davies fucked around with this message at 02:42 on Oct 19, 2023

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

Recently finished reading The Winged Histories by Sofia Samatar. It's a really unique book, something like if Virginia Woolf ever set her mind to writing an epic fantasy novel. Although it's nominally about war and politics in a fictional setting, hardly any of the text actually focuses on the fighting itself. Instead, the dominant theme is nostalgia, with the characters looking back in the midst of violence on the childhoods they have lost and the homes they can never return to. The prose is absolutely gorgeous, but tricky to follow at first with all the moving back and forth in time.

If you're in the Venn diagram of readers that love both fantasy and literary fiction, I highly recommend it.

Ccs
Feb 25, 2011

buffalo all day posted:

The Last Kingdom series is technically historical fiction (England during the reign of Alfred the Great in the 9th century) but everyone believes in gods and some supernatural stuff happens every now and then, it’s also supremely better written than everything you mentioned. If you don’t mind a lack of on screen dragons or fireballs it’s great.

This gives me an excuse to mention that I finished the netflix adaption. Its good. And it somehow manages to avoid becoming absurd that 30 years has apparently passed between the end of season 1 and 5 and yet Uthred (son of Uhtred) only looks 5 years older.

The movie that "finishes" the series up to the end of the books is worth skipping though. 3 books in 2 hours is too much.

Leng
May 13, 2006

One song / Glory
One song before I go / Glory
One song to leave behind

No other road
No other way
No day but today

VanillaGorilla posted:

So what’s the world of epic fantasy looking like now, outside of Brandon Sanderson (who has become a victim of his own success, IMO)?

I made the mistake of trying to browse Amazon and…ugh. At some point (I’m guessing post-Stephanie Meyer and Twilight) the fantasy genre was invaded by the dime-store romance genre and basically everything in the section has the word “sexy” somewhere in the description.

That’s cool if you’re into it but it’s hard to find anything else on the storefront right now, and they don’t even put iterations of Fabio on the cover to help me recognize what I’m looking at anymore.

This is a function of romance and LitRPG authors being way more prolific than anybody else, and also because discoverability is absolute crap, so you end up with publishers shoving everything they can in every single vaguely-applicable category. Amazon has cracked down on this recently by limited self-pubbed books to a max of 3 categories, but yeah: when you have fantasy romance/LitRPG authors who push out 6+ books a year vs the epic fantasy author who manages 1 book every 1-2 years, the epic fantasy category ends up being a dumping ground for pretty much everything other than things you would strictly consider epic fantasy.

VanillaGorilla posted:

I guess I'm trying to fill the WoT shaped hole in my heart after finishing my 3rd series reread in anticipation of the show. I've also read the Malazan series a couple of times, and loved them as well. I've tried to get into Sanderson but something about his prose and the underlying formula that his books often follow just doesn't resonate (through no fault of his - he has a style, and I can respect it).

I’ve picked up a couple of books from the various lists and the first book of the Cradle series for something lighter.

If you're open to more indie fantasy, then the current heavy hitter in "classic" epic fantasy done in a modern style is Ryan Cahill with The Bound and the Broken which is basically a mash-up of Paolini's Eragon and Jordan's The Eye of the World with f-bombs. As someone who's read both of those earlier works, I didn't think Of Blood and Fire lived up to its predecessors, nor did I find that it brought anything new to the table, and the character and dialogue writing was lacking for me, but if you're nostalgic for that kind of epic fantasy, it might hit the spot for you.

The Tide Child trilogy I've read the first two books and found them okay.

Besides Cradle, Will Wight has written more traditional epic fantasy: The Elder Empire which is two parallel trilogies. Doesn't matter which order you read them in; the conceit is that you're getting two different sides of the same set of events. I actually like this series better than Cradle.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Seeing eragon and wheel of time in the same sentence hurts me

tiniestacorn
Oct 3, 2015

Sailor Viy posted:

Recently finished reading The Winged Histories by Sofia Samatar. It's a really unique book, something like if Virginia Woolf ever set her mind to writing an epic fantasy novel. Although it's nominally about war and politics in a fictional setting, hardly any of the text actually focuses on the fighting itself. Instead, the dominant theme is nostalgia, with the characters looking back in the midst of violence on the childhoods they have lost and the homes they can never return to. The prose is absolutely gorgeous, but tricky to follow at first with all the moving back and forth in time.

If you're in the Venn diagram of readers that love both fantasy and literary fiction, I highly recommend it.

If this is your jam I also suggest The Saint of Bright Doors by Vajra Chandrasekera!

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!

VanillaGorilla posted:

They didn't age well, and a lot of stuff in there is really problematic (looking at you Riverwind and Goldmoon). They're very much of their era of fantasy and looking back...it's probably better that we all kind of collectively moved on.

I mean don't get me wrong, like you all I read and loved them as a teen, but...yeah, they're probably best left to fond remembrance.

Riverwind and Goldmoon are kind of frustrating because they're best written characters in the book. They never hit the whole Noble savage thing these fantasy constantly did at the time, and they get more depth than the other characters. If you didn't know that Hickman was a devout Mormon that has some interesting ideas on racial purity

GhastlyBizness
Sep 10, 2016

seashells by the sea shorpheus

Sailor Viy posted:

Samatar is so good and The Winged Histories might be the most thoughtful and considered fantasy novel I’ve ever read.

Have you read A Stranger in Olondria? Not quite the tour de force that The Winged Histories is but also amazing.

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Sailor Viy posted:

Whoa, haven’t heard of this but am intrigued

buffalo all day
Mar 13, 2019

Leng posted:

If you're open to more indie fantasy, then the current heavy hitter in "classic" epic fantasy done in a modern style is Ryan Cahill with The Bound and the Broken which is basically a mash-up of Paolini's Eragon and Jordan's The Eye of the World with f-bombs. As someone who's read both of those earlier works, I didn't think Of Blood and Fire lived up to its predecessors, nor did I find that it brought anything new to the table, and the character and dialogue writing was lacking for me, but if you're nostalgic for that kind of epic fantasy, it might hit the spot for you.

as someone who spent a lot of time reading pitchfork and going to concerts at small clubs in the late aughts, describing a cross between eragon and the eye of the world with f bombs as “indie” triggered me greatly

Sailor Viy
Aug 4, 2013

And when I can swim no longer, if I have not reached Aslan's country, or shot over the edge of the world into some vast cataract, I shall sink with my nose to the sunrise.

tiniestacorn posted:

If this is your jam I also suggest The Saint of Bright Doors by Vajra Chandrasekera!

I was actually raving about this in the thread a month ago! One of my favourite fantasy debuts in years.

GhastlyBizness posted:

Samatar is so good and The Winged Histories might be the most thoughtful and considered fantasy novel I’ve ever read.

Have you read A Stranger in Olondria? Not quite the tour de force that The Winged Histories is but also amazing.

Yeah, A Stranger in Olondria is next on my list. I wasn't quite sure if Winged Histories was a sequel or a sidequel or what, but it mostly made sense without any other context.

silvergoose
Mar 18, 2006

IT IS SAID THE TEARS OF THE BWEENIX CAN HEAL ALL WOUNDS

Yeah I just finished Saint of Bright Doors and it's amazing.

I think it and Spear Cuts Through Water are the coolest new fiction I've read in a while, locked tomb notwithstanding.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

I told you that story so I could tell you this one.

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Riverwind and Goldmoon are kind of frustrating because they're best written characters in the book. They never hit the whole Noble savage thing these fantasy constantly did at the time, and they get more depth than the other characters. If you didn't know that Hickman was a devout Mormon that has some interesting ideas on racial purity

Riverwind and Goldmoon are in this odd place because they're incredibly important to the beginning of the plot, but quickly become these afterthought characters while the narrative turns to focus on Laurana's growth, her love triangle with Tanis and Kitiara, and Caramon and Raistlin's abusive relationship.

I think in some ways, those books really hold up well. Laurana and Kitiara are solid strong female characters(tm). Tanis is portrayed as a dipshit who almost blows everything because of his waffling between them. Raistlin abusing his brother is portrayed as this corrosive thing that eats at both of them.

The first one is amateurish and essentially a let's play of the first two game modules. The third one makes some poor choices and assassinates Laurana's character development some to set up its finale. But the second one is some solid schlocky fantasy with a heavy dose of pathos. They definitely go for an ESB-style "the middle entry has to be the sad entry" vibe in Winter's Night and nail it.

StrixNebulosa
Feb 14, 2012

Dragonlane made me a happy highschooler. Just the perfect schlock for that age.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Sailor Viy posted:

Well this is me, so on the list it goes. A Stranger in Olondria was already there, but I'll start with The Winged Histories instead.

Are these on the fantasy side of the fantasy/literary fiction spectrum or the other way? I don't care one way or the other, but I feel like I end up reading what I think are fantasy and then they end up categorized as fiction. They're still good! But sometimes it seems odd to talk about them here.

Like I love Quan Barry and Helen Oyeyemi, but despite the speculative elements, I hesitate to bring them up because they're most definitely on the literary side of the aisle. Though we've talked about The Vorrh so it happens. I just read Weyward by Emilia Hart because I very much dig the magical connection to nature but my library had it in the fiction section.

Ror
Oct 21, 2010

😸Everything's 🗞️ purrfect!💯🤟

I was just thinking about Dragonlance because I'm moving and getting rid of a bunch of books, but I can't bring myself to get rid of my Annotated Chronicles that I got signed by Margaret Weis when I was like 12. It was basically my intro to high fantasy (and somehow I even convinced a couple friends to read them in high school). Raistlin is like the most cliche character ever and I was still obsessed with how badass and ~conflicted~ he was and how he basically goes from a whiny nerd to a literal god.

I haven't read Legends in a while but I wonder if it actually holds up better than the original trilogy since it's all about time fuckery and adventures in the underworld which is all more interesting than a basic D&D campaign.

I do remember reading a lot of the prequels and side adventures and stuff and being bored out of my mind with pretty much all of them except the Raistlin novels. The two trilogies probably don't hold up much but they're way more competent than the greater EU.

edit: actually, has anyone here read the Death Gate Cycle? That's the Weis/Hickman series that really sticks with me from my middle/high-school fantasy reading. I haven't gone back to reread it in a long time and I imagine it might have the same clunkiness that a lot of their books do, but it has some incredibly creative worldbuilding that I still think about all the time.

Ror fucked around with this message at 16:00 on Oct 19, 2023

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Ror posted:

I was just thinking about Dragonlance because I'm moving and getting rid of a bunch of books, but I can't bring myself to get rid of my Annotated Chronicles that I got signed by Margaret Weis when I was like 12. It was basically my intro to high fantasy (and somehow I even convinced a couple friends to read them in high school). Raistlin is like the most cliche character ever and I was still obsessed with how badass and ~conflicted~ he was and how he basically goes from a whiny nerd to a literal god.

I haven't read Legends in a while but I wonder if it actually holds up better than the original trilogy since it's all about time fuckery and adventures in the underworld which is all more interesting than a basic D&D campaign.

I do remember reading a lot of the prequels and side adventures and stuff and being bored out of my mind with pretty much all of them except the Raistlin novels. The two trilogies probably don't hold up much but they're way more competent than the greater EU.

edit: actually, has anyone here read the Death Gate Cycle? That's the Weis/Hickman series that really sticks with me from my middle/high-school fantasy reading. I haven't gone back to reread it in a long time and I imagine it might have the same clunkiness that a lot of their books do, but it has some incredibly creative worldbuilding that I still think about all the time.

Raistlin is kind of great because he's the stereotypical tabletop D&D wizard of the time--using the party as meatshields on his own personal quest for power that leads him to ditch the party and do solo sessions where he challenges the gods--and he's presented as this giant toxic rear end in a top hat who sucks all the fun out of the adventure for everyone else.

And the Legends I think do hold up better than the Chronicles. Hickman and Weiss cleverly use time travel to write a trilogy that's both prequel and sequel and touches on some of the cool adventure locations from the modules that were glossed over in the Chronicles.

Kalman
Jan 17, 2010

Ror posted:

I have, and went back and reread them a couple years ago.

The neat world building is still there but definitely extremely clunky with mediocre characterization.

a friendly penguin
Feb 1, 2007

trolling for fish

Benagain posted:

Even Though I Knew the End by C. L. Polk is a sapphic detective noir novella with magic set in 1930s Chicago. Would you be able to tell it was Chicago without them saying it? Maybe, but it's just a fast and satisfying story so it's worth reading regardless.

Selachian
Oct 9, 2012

PeterWeller posted:

Riverwind and Goldmoon are in this odd place because they're incredibly important to the beginning of the plot, but quickly become these afterthought characters while the narrative turns to focus on Laurana's growth, her love triangle with Tanis and Kitiara, and Caramon and Raistlin's abusive relationship.

Also, Goldmoon becomes irrelevant to the whole "bringing the gods back to the world" plot when Elistan steps in as high priest and chief evangelist. Because every church must be headed by a beardy old guy, I suppose.

Benagain posted:

Go thou and seek out John M. Ford's The Last Hot Time.

Ari Marmell also has a series about a 1930s Chicago private eye who's actually an exiled faerie lord. I've only read the first, Hot Lead, Cold Iron, but it wasn't half bad.

PeterWeller
Apr 21, 2003

Selachian posted:

Also, Goldmoon becomes irrelevant to the whole "bringing the gods back to the world" plot when Elistan steps in as high priest and chief evangelist. Because every church must be headed by a beardy old guy, I suppose.

Go thou and seek out John M. Ford's The Last Hot Time.

Ari Marmell also has a series about a 1930s Chicago private eye who's actually an exiled faerie lord. I've only read the first, Hot Lead, Cold Iron, but it wasn't half bad.

To be fair, the whole "bringing the gods back to the world" plot is basically an afterthought once they get the Discs. And oddly enough, I think that's a sign that Hickman and Weiss were growing as writers. They realized the story's real draw was the characters they and the other module designers came up with during playtesting and smartly focused the story on them and their relationships.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Stuporstar
May 5, 2008

Where do fists come from?

Sailor Viy posted:

Ooh I’m intrigued