Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Making you happy for a buck since 199X

Ginette Reno posted:

I went to that game. First time seeing McDavid live. Pretty fun. Thought Draisaitl was the best player on the ice. Made some outrageous passes. Definitely the best passer in the NHL and I don't think anyone else is even that close.

He is good but this is insanity. McDavid is just as good and Crosby is still king in that arena. Kucherov and Marner are at least as good at playmaking as Draisaitl. Makar and Fox also have amazing vision.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

YOU'VE GOT A LAFRENIÈRE IN ME

Chad Sexington posted:

What's the alternative? We're supposed to like the guy?

:shrug:

question is more why do you hate him? the things I've seen caps fans fault him for seem more about issues with that roster than his gameplan

I mean sure I will say I'm invested in him being a decent coach at this point, but I've also always generally liked how he gets his teams to play and they've always been fast attacking teams that wanted to go on offense and score goals.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)
To be fair the next team that hires Gallant im gonna make fun of and say he sucks (because he does), so im not shocked about Caps fans hating on Lav.

We’re only 3 game in, but im very happy with him.

This all started with Quinn, who was a terrible coach and a stupid hire. Gallant was a breath of fresh air with his hands off approach but that doesn’t work very long when you dont really run practices or know how to make adjustments. Lavy came in at a perfect time.

AntiDepressor
Jun 3, 2011
We are 3 games into the season and between Price/Dach/Dvorak and now Guhle the Habs are gonna have about 200 games missed due to injury.

So how about that Celebrini kid? Should I start hyping myself now?

Jamwad Hilder
Apr 18, 2007

surfin usa
As a neutral fan who lives in DC and subsequently watches a lot of Caps games, I will say it's kind of in between. I think Laviolette is a good coach, I don't think he was the right coach for where the Caps were at. The Caps thought they were still in a window of contention when they hired him, or were trying to keep it open, and it just didn't work out that way, although he kept them somewhat competitive. He's definitely a coach who favors the veterans and he's probably not the guy you want if your goal is development, which is probably what the Caps should have been doing. For the Rangers, who are in a window of contention right now, I think he was a good hire. Although you may be disappointed at the opportunities (or lack thereof) that some of the younger players get.

Matt Zerella
Oct 7, 2002

Norris'es are back baby. It's good again. Awoouu (fox Howl)

Jamwad Hilder posted:

As a neutral fan who lives in DC and subsequently watches a lot of Caps games, I will say it's kind of in between. I think Laviolette is a good coach, I don't think he was the right coach for where the Caps were at. The Caps thought they were still in a window of contention when they hired him, or were trying to keep it open, and it just didn't work out that way, although he kept them somewhat competitive. He's definitely a coach who favors the veterans and he's probably not the guy you want if your goal is development, which is probably what the Caps should have been doing. For the Rangers, who are in a window of contention right now, I think he was a good hire. Although you may be disappointed at the opportunities (or lack thereof) that some of the younger players get.

See, this I don’t see…yet. He kept Cyulle up and on the 3rd line, and put Chytil and Laf on the 2nd with Bread. I think he’s doing a pretty good job so far with the younger players.

kill me now
Sep 14, 2003

Why's Hank crying?

'CUZ HE JUST GOT DUNKED ON!

Matt Zerella posted:

See, this I don’t see…yet. He kept Cyulle up and on the 3rd line, and put Chytil and Laf on the 2nd with Bread. I think he’s doing a pretty good job so far with the younger players.

I don't know if you can really still call Chytil a "young player" in a development sense anymore. This is his 6th real season, has 330gp and he's 24 years old.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

Matt Zerella posted:

To be fair the next team that hires Gallant im gonna make fun of and say he sucks (because he does), so im not shocked about Caps fans hating on Lav.

We’re only 3 game in, but im very happy with him.

This all started with Quinn, who was a terrible coach and a stupid hire. Gallant was a breath of fresh air with his hands off approach but that doesn’t work very long when you dont really run practices or know how to make adjustments. Lavy came in at a perfect time.

Quinn was hired as a "teaching" coach for the rebuild but then the Rangers went out and signed Panarin and had guys like Strome who hated the micromanaging approach that Quinn brought (though apparently Quinn learned he had to lay off of that and not coach like it was college).

I still think Gallant could be a pretty good overall coach if he just put some effort into being more hands on when it was required.

[quote]

Jamwad Hilder posted:

Yeah I think that's mostly fair, though he is giving Will Cuyle a good shot at playing top 9 minutes and is on board with keeping Kakko and Laf on the top two lines as well.

Larry Cum Free
Jun 3, 2022

move it or lose it dillweed

Ginette Reno posted:

I went to that game. First time seeing McDavid live. Pretty fun. Thought Draisaitl was the best player on the ice. Made some outrageous passes. Definitely the best passer in the NHL and I don't think anyone else is even that close.

Last 12 Oilers vs. Predators games:

Nashville goals - 28
Leon Draisaitl goals - 22

:pwn:

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

kill me now posted:

I don't know if you can really still call Chytil a "young player" in a development sense anymore. This is his 6th real season, has 330gp and he's 24 years old.

No one born in the 90s is young anymore. Hell, it's a stretch to say a 2000 born player is still a prospect. The steady march of time sucks.

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

You're all old. The blood transfusions I get have basically frozen my aging.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

cursed to watch the ages you knew and loved be passed by new generations and technologies while you're unable to die no matter how much you may wish it

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

Eric the Mauve posted:

He is good but this is insanity. McDavid is just as good and Crosby is still king in that arena. Kucherov and Marner are at least as good at playmaking as Draisaitl. Makar and Fox also have amazing vision.

Well Leon has been voted best passer in the NHLPA player poll 2 straight years and NHL players have proven over and over that they are very smart with great opinions.

Darude - Adam Sandstorm fucked around with this message at 20:42 on Oct 18, 2023

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

Well Leon has been voted best passer in the NHLPA player poll 2 straight years and NHL players have proven over be over that they very smart with great opinions.

They voted Patrick Kane #2 in the year 2023 so I'm not sure I'll take their opinion as gospel

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.

Aphrodite posted:

You're all old. The blood transfusions I get have basically frozen my aging.

I didn't know you were a hockey fan, Mr. Thiel

Darude - Adam Sandstorm
Aug 16, 2012

ThinkTank posted:

They voted Patrick Kane #2 in the year 2023 so I'm not sure I'll take their opinion as gospel

No-one cares after number 1!

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Darude - Adam Sandstorm posted:

No-one cares after number 1!

Ginette Reno
Nov 18, 2006

How Doers get more done
Fun Shoe

Eric the Mauve posted:

I just mean pure passing ability and vision. McDavid creates more assists but I feel like a lot of that is his outrageous skating and hands.

But when it comes to just landing a puck right onto a dude's tape from anywhere give me Leon. He's fuckin nuts at that.

deoju
Jul 11, 2004

All the pieces matter.
Nap Ghost
A good goal song should annoy the gently caress out of opposing fans.

Jhet
Jun 3, 2013

deoju posted:

A good goal song should annoy the gently caress out of opposing fans.

Just like Chelsea Dagger. I hate it with every fiber of my being. It’s a great goal song. The player pick songs are okay, but most are lame.

Levitate
Sep 30, 2005

randy newman voice

lol this headline (and the actual event)

https://www.sfgate.com/sports/article/sharks-ref-knocks-down-tony-deangelo-canes-18433497.php

WeaponX
Jul 28, 2008

Lol the fact that Rod benched him after his tantrum and the team played better and won the game. DeAngelo is the lil MAGA gift that keeps giving. Can’t wait to see what antics he gets up to on the Kunlun Red Star

Mr. Fish
Sep 13, 2017

INLAND EMPIRE — This is a team with a lot of past, but little present. And almost no future.
Pens put one of the two AHL randos they picked up from Vancouver on unconditional waivers for the purpose of contract termination.

No, not Rathbone. The other guy.

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Yeah I don't understand that "trade" at all beyond doing Rutherford a solid.

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Rathbone has the tiniest bit of talent and was a good AHL defencemen. Really the whole thing is an AHL transaction.

Also his name sounds like he's a pokemon and that has to count for something.

rex rabidorum vires
Mar 26, 2007

KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN KASPERI KAPANEN
Karel has 8 total AHL games and that makes up his north American career. Pens org probably asked him if he wanted to go to the E or figure it out himself back in Czech. The other dude, I think, the Org was doing a solid because he played in the AHL last year and unfortunately was pushed into the ECHL this year with all the expenditure for WBS.

Diet Crack
Jan 15, 2001

Surely we could have spread the opening schedule so today wasn't left with these 2 games

lol next tuesday everyone is playing

Diet Crack fucked around with this message at 22:19 on Oct 18, 2023

Stiev Awt
Mar 20, 2007

Spelling Mitsake posted:

I love how the habs started the game by allowing 2 short handed goals on the same powerplay. This has been one of worse powerplays in the league for what, 10 years? Yeesh.

MononcQc
May 29, 2007

The damage happens in the minors as well. Reinbacher is injured, and Heineman suffered this:

https://twitter.com/jaredbook/status/1713286840734650863

Call Your Grandma
Jan 17, 2010

Jhet posted:

Me too. It was fun to watch. The Habs used to be a fun opponent, but the last few years since the finals appearance have just really been sad. They do have some good talent, but they're 2-3 years away from being a fun team again.

Strong disagree, it has been extremely fun watching montreal over the last few years. they're on the right path and should be in a good place when their guys naturally progress and they maintain a slightly better winning percentage/

stab
Feb 12, 2003

To you from failing hands we throw the torch, be yours to hold it high

MononcQc posted:

The damage happens in the minors as well. Reinbacher is injured, and Heineman suffered this:

https://twitter.com/jaredbook/status/1713286840734650863

Tabernak, Merci Legault calisse

ThinkTank
Oct 23, 2007

Sounds like the NHL is seriously considering moving to a studio draft like the NFL and NBA do, possibly as early as this year.

quote:

Under the proposed new model, the NHL would use a 5,000- to 10,000-seat venue and have one or two representatives from each club on hand. Prospects would be greeted by commissioner Gary Bettman and a team rep on the draft stage for a brief photo opportunity after being selected and could later be flown with their family to the club’s home city after finishing broadcast and media responsibilities.

https://theathletic.com/4974239/2023/10/18/nhl-draft-changes-decentralization?source=user-shared-article

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

So is that just a change in type of locale, and smaller teams on site?

Huggybear
Jun 17, 2005

I got the jimjams

Mr. Fish posted:

Pens put one of the two AHL randos they picked up from Vancouver on unconditional waivers for the purpose of contract termination.

Why would a team do that? Why not just trade for Rathbone? This seems pretty cruel unless he like, showed up drunk for practice or something on the first day

Aphrodite
Jun 27, 2006

Huggybear posted:

Why would a team do that? Why not just trade for Rathbone? This seems pretty cruel unless he like, showed up drunk for practice or something on the first day

Could be contract limit stuff.

Kind of a dick move but he does get paid out when they do that.

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Contract termination without a cause has to be mutual between the team and player I'm pretty sure.
Looking at Plasek's playing history, it's more likely he said "I'm not going to the AHL, loan me to a Czech league or terminate me"
better pay, better development, better lifestyle and travel, and fewer players over there trying to make their way to the big leagues by scrambling your brains

And win/win 'cause the pens open a contract spot

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

IMO dumping Friedman to get a contract spot was a mistake though. Friedman is pretty much exactly what a team needs for a 6th/7th defenseman. He's cheap, he's versatile, he rocks no boats, you hardly even notice him most nights which given his role is a good thing. There must be something I'm failing to see because it's surprising to me that he's so little regarded by coaches and GMs. Or maybe it's nothing more complicated than "defenseman, not 6 feet tall, not a great skater, don't want him".

Of course he's only 28 which is too young for the Penguins.

e: and Ruhwedel is pretty much the same guy but 5 years older, so I guess the Pens felt Friedman was redundant

Eric the Mauve fucked around with this message at 02:04 on Oct 19, 2023

Good Soldier Svejk
Jul 5, 2010

Eric the Mauve posted:

IMO dumping Friedman to get a contract spot was a mistake though. Friedman is pretty much exactly what a team needs for a 6th defenseman. He's cheap, he's versatile, he rocks no boats, you hardly even notice him most nights which given his role is a good thing. There must be something I'm failing to see because it's surprising to me that he's so little regarded by coaches and GMs. Or maybe it's nothing more complicated than "defenseman, not 6 feet tall, not a great skater, don't want him".

Of course he's only 28 which is too young for the Penguins.

it could've been a courtesy thing from the organization as much as a business thing. They love Ruhwedel and he isn't displacing him (not saying that's a correct evaluation), and Pysyk is going to come off of LTIR at some point and they've got tons of bodies in WBS and they knew Friedman wasn't going to clear when they sent him down.

Get something and jettison him far away in an organization that gives him a chance to establish himself as an NHL player.

Cartoon Man
Jan 31, 2004

Ok I take it back, the Caps are absolute trash and this gonna be a long rear end season.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Eric the Mauve
May 8, 2012

Good Soldier Svejk posted:

it could've been a courtesy thing from the organization as much as a business thing. They love Ruhwedel and he isn't displacing him (not saying that's a correct evaluation), and Pysyk is going to come off of LTIR at some point and they've got tons of bodies in WBS and they knew Friedman wasn't going to clear when they sent him down.

Get something and jettison him far away in an organization that gives him a chance to establish himself as an NHL player.

I really like Ruhwedel for all the same reasons, but he's 33 and the next time he loses a half-step of speed he'll become useless overnight. (c.f. Dumoulin, Brian) I don't think they'd have lost much jettisoning him and keeping Friedman who IMO is a 5 years younger Ruhwedel pretty much. It's hard not to read this as the Penguins yet again obsessively clinging to the oldest players they can get.

e: Pysyk isn't worth losing Friedman for