Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

"Ah," Ratz had said, at last, "the artiste."

Starks posted:

Hamill and Gugino were great though. But not enough to keep me from saying that midnight club was somehow better.

I haven't finished it yet but even if the final two eps are just a solid 120 minutes of goatse no, midnight club is absolutely not better lol

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker
Gen V episode 4 was pretty great, episode 5 was just OK. I can't say for sure that the show will end up great. From the first few I thought it would be awful, but even though the last episode wasn't as thrilling I think it's got more potential than I expected.

Separate topic, if you enjoyed Loki season 1, you should watch season 2. It's too handwavey silly to wholeheartedly recommend to someone who isn't already a Loki/MCU fan, but if you are, it's fun and enjoyable. To me, Loki S1 is far and away the best MCU D+ series, but you're really only likely to care if you have at least watched Thor 1, Thor 3, Avengers 1, and the first 10 minutes of Infinity War, and actually enjoyed Loki in one of those things.

Famethrowa
Oct 5, 2012

watching midnight mass finally and it's all been hitting except for the girl confronting the drunk bum. c'mon man lol.

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Seems I'm a curmudgeon, 'cause I can barely get through Totally Killer. I dunno how to explain it but it just has massive Disney Channel vibes, there are like 500 jokes and maybe two of them have landed

Punkin Spunkin
Jan 1, 2010
50% of the 500 jokes landed for me which was enough for me to be entertained

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

Glottis posted:

Gen V episode 4 was pretty great, episode 5 was just OK. I can't say for sure that the show will end up great. From the first few I thought it would be awful, but even though the last episode wasn't as thrilling I think it's got more potential than I expected.

Separate topic, if you enjoyed Loki season 1, you should watch season 2. It's too handwavey silly to wholeheartedly recommend to someone who isn't already a Loki/MCU fan, but if you are, it's fun and enjoyable. To me, Loki S1 is far and away the best MCU D+ series, but you're really only likely to care if you have at least watched Thor 1, Thor 3, Avengers 1, and the first 10 minutes of Infinity War, and actually enjoyed Loki in one of those things.

I watched the first episode of Loki season 2 and the first 10 mins of the second one before i realized my eyes were glazing over and i had no interest or understanding of anything that was going on.

I really never want to see anything involving a multiverse ever again.

feedmyleg
Dec 25, 2004
Yeah, I enjoyed season 1 enough, but by the end I was feeling lukewarm about picking it back up. My partner wanted to watch the premiere recently, and by the end of the first episode I was so checked out I had to give a "I think this is one you watch on your own."

Just no stakes to anything because it's all in crazy magic wacky town and anything can happen at any moment.

Papercut
Aug 24, 2005
Gen V is just a bunch of recycled content. Like literally the same ideas and plot beats as the boys, but this time with a younger cast. Also a lot of the plot resolutions are incredibly lazy ( looking at you, tech Knight). It's fine popcorn though.

The Puppy Bowl
Jan 31, 2013

A dog, in the house.

*woof*

Starks posted:

House of Usher has some good ideas but Flanagan was the worst person to execute them imo and I say that as a huge fan of his. His strength is in writing endearing, relatable characters and strong emotional beats and this show has almost none of that because it’s a sort of morality play full of characters that you’re supposed to hate. But he pulls his punches there too because while they’re annoying and rich, some of their supposed mortal sins are downright lame (“This woman is RUDE and KINKY”). I think the fact that it came out so soon after Succession also exposes a lot of its weaknesses as some sort of critique about commercial dynasties.

Agree with all this. Flannigan is at his best working with discrete, personal human drama. Scaling that up to social commentary was a huge miss. Really feels like he was trying to keep one foot in the sincerity that is his Hallmark while making what should of been a pure pulp show. The result is walking right down the middle path of mediocrity.

Additionally, this show is very lazy. Constantly telling us instead of showing us it's characterizations, alternatively poorly then ham-fistedly establishing the tragic flaws in its morality plays, reusing the same 12 settings again and again and again. There's just nothing here worth watching.

Orvin
Sep 9, 2006

Any have a quick review of Wilderness on Amazon Prime?

I watched the first episode last night, and I am curious if there is any real payoff to it. I get that the first episode has to set up the whole scorned woman plotting revenge thing. But between bouncing between flashbacks and her forgiving then not (kinda understandable in the moment), it felt a bit all over the place.

Open Source Idiom
Jan 4, 2013

Orvin posted:

Any have a quick review of Wilderness on Amazon Prime?

I watched the first episode last night, and I am curious if there is any real payoff to it. I get that the first episode has to set up the whole scorned woman plotting revenge thing. But between bouncing between flashbacks and her forgiving then not (kinda understandable in the moment), it felt a bit all over the place.

It narrows down its focus to the point of boredom after episode two. Also her accent never gets better, though Coleman is still very good in the lead role otherwise. If you really like her -- no judgement -- then I'd stick with it, otherwise give it a pass IMO.

Pablo Bluth
Sep 7, 2007

I've made a huge mistake.

mcmagic posted:

I really never want to see anything involving a multiverse ever again.
I disagree. I support the sliders revival, if it focuses on having fun with the what-if opportunity and doesn't feel the need to introduce a serialised bad-guy

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Okay now that I've finished it I would say Fall of the House of Usher is...good! The social commentary is absolutely a miss but not really prevalent enough to get in the way of the pretty straightforward 'cursed rich family gets owned in various ironic Poe death scenes' and unlike most of his other works you're not really supposed to like any of them so seeing them get their comeuppance is fun. Its worlds better than Midnight Club and I'd say about on the level with Bly Manor, Hill House, etc.

I also wouldn't really compare it to Succession because outside of the most obvious trappings its a totally different genre?

ymgve
Jan 2, 2004

:dukedog:
Offensive Clock
In Usher, I wish they had kept up the "is it supernatural or not" thing for longer. They kinda give it away with the ape scene in episode 3 but you still see remnants of a possible previous script where they were sticking with it longer, like the fact that the mastermind shows up on cameras

Glottis
May 29, 2002

No. It's necessary.
Yam Slacker

Wolfsheim posted:

I also wouldn't really compare it to Succession because outside of the most obvious trappings its a totally different genre?

yeah the only connection to Succession is "rich people that suck"

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006
Its either Trotsky or its Notsky
The big problem I have with Usher is Zach Gilford and Bruce Greenwood play the same character with completely different energy and feeling. They don't seem even remotely similar in the way they talk and act. I wonder how much of that has to do with the recast and reshoots when Langella was fired. Presumably Greenwood didn't have much time to prep.

It's not a bad performance it just doesn't seem to match the other half we're presented with.

Macdeo Lurjtux
Jul 5, 2011

BRRREADSTOOORRM!
Eh, you can easily handwave that with its a story so he's presenting his past self the way he saw himself and the current day how he really is.

Also, I kind of wish I didn't watch the trailer. I knew how episode 2 was ending from it but my wife didn't and her reaction was everything the scene was aiming for.

Macdeo Lurjtux fucked around with this message at 23:41 on Oct 18, 2023

Buttchocks
Oct 21, 2020

No, I like my hat, thanks.

OrthoTrot posted:

The big problem I have with Usher is Zach Gilford and Bruce Greenwood play the same character with completely different energy and feeling. They don't seem even remotely similar in the way they talk and act. I wonder how much of that has to do with the recast and reshoots when Langella was fired. Presumably Greenwood didn't have much time to prep.

It's not a bad performance it just doesn't seem to match the other half we're presented with.

I didn't realize they were the same character or that they were in different times until episode 6.

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

Buttchocks posted:

I didn't realize they were the same character or that they were in different times until episode 6.

I've got some very exciting news for you if you've ever seen a movie about the billionaire Bruce Wayne

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

Macdeo Lurjtux posted:

Also, I kind of wish I didn't watch the trailer. I knew how episode 2 was ending from it but my wife didn't and her reaction was everything the scene was aiming for.

That scene is just so loving over the top. Completely un-Flanagan and just sets this really cartoony element to the whole thing. I wonder if that's a deliberate choice to mimic the ostentatiousness of Poe.

Hamill is also excellent. A Wilford Brimley style surly delight.

Martman
Nov 20, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I've got some very exciting news for you if you've ever seen a movie about the billionaire Bruce Wayne
yeah I heard his butler Alfred is actually the Joker

Wolfsheim
Dec 23, 2003

OrthoTrot posted:

That scene is just so loving over the top. Completely un-Flanagan and just sets this really cartoony element to the whole thing. I wonder if that's a deliberate choice to mimic the ostentatiousness of Poe.

Hamill is also excellent. A Wilford Brimley style surly delight.

I think it was the right choice to go full cartoonish with it to really emphasize "this is not midnight mass, you will not be listening to (too many) five minute monologues about how people feel"

And yeah it was almost jarring to see Mark Hamill in a good role and like, acting for real again lol

OrthoTrot
Dec 10, 2006

Wolfsheim posted:

I think it was the right choice to go full cartoonish with it to really emphasize "this is not midnight mass, you will not be listening to (too many) five minute monologues about how people feel"

If you asked me at the start of the year which horror director would release a scene where 78 wealthy socialites get melted by acid I'm pretty sure I wouldn't have guessed correctly. Flanagan just having fun with this one.

smackfu
Jun 7, 2004

Netflix raised prices again.

quote:

Netflix announced that starting today, users on its $9.99 per month Basic plan will now have to pay $11.99, and those paying $19.99 per month for Premium will have to pay $22.99. Netflix’s $6.99 ad-supported plan and $15.49 Standard tier will stay the same price.

Standard is 1080p and Pemium is 4K. I don’t even see a Basic plan option on my account.

Inspector Hound
Jul 14, 2003

Killing the motion picture industry is an expensive proposition ok

mcmagic
Jul 1, 2004

If you see this avatar while scrolling the succ zone, you have been visited by the mcmagic of shitty lib takes! Good luck and prosperity will come to you, but only if you reply "shut the fuck up mcmagic" to this post!

smackfu posted:

Netflix raised prices again.

Standard is 1080p and Pemium is 4K. I don’t even see a Basic plan option on my account.

I've been off netflix for 2 months now and I literally don't miss it at all.

Ammanas
Jul 17, 2005

Voltes V: "Laser swooooooooord!"

Glottis posted:

I liked the first two episodes a lot, but i am deeply not involved or interested in the story. Just along for a stylish ride. the set design and costuming is spectacular for a tv show and hiddleston is very charismatic. the combination of him and owen wilson is excellent.

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

I feel like all the action in the continental is produced by CW and edited by the Borne people

The casual misogyny the John Wick series wasn't missing is here

I'm giving up halfway through the first episode

None of the cool sophistication of John wick and none of the charm

Upsidads fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 20, 2023

Perestroika
Apr 8, 2010

Caught up on Netflix's Castlevania: Nocturne, and it's a decently fun time. The story and characters aren't as good as in the main Castlevania, but the visual designs and animation go extremely hard and it's probably worth watching just for that.

Kingtheninja
Jul 29, 2004

"You're the best looking guy here."
Yeah I'm always down with castlevania as long as the animation goes hard like it usually does. My biggest hangups are their tendency to drag out the story to get more episodes out of it. Part of it has to do with not knowing how close they'll follow the game Will Dracula show up? but there's always an episode or two each season that I'm like "cmon already".

Upsidads
Jan 11, 2007
Now and then we had a hope that if we lived and were good, God would permit us to be pirates

https://youtu.be/M_qf7XHjvBk?si=3Byg_DD57nXYcEsw
House on Haunted Hill is still stupid and fun

The 7th Guest
Dec 17, 2003

Cobweb had a lot of menace that got deflated in the final act… I’m not sure what I would’ve done differently but it’s certainly not what the director did

Shageletic
Jul 25, 2007

Nightmare Cinema posted:

I go to look up how many episodes are in Fall of the House of Usher and I immediately get a death spoiler. :thisagain:

It ain't the well run House of Usher

Oh and ppl were talking about Phantom of the Paradise. I love that movie and so does Daft Punk

quote:

The point is not to understand Daft Punk but to listen to the album and stop asking questions.

But certain biographical details have leaked. Count on the muckrakers at the New York Times: in a June interview, Bangalter and de Homem-Christo (can we just call him Guy from here on?) talked about their musical influences, in particular the work of Paul Williams, who appears on the new album Random Access Memories. Williams, of course, is the gnomish one-man Tin Pan Alley of the ’70s who wrote for Barbra Streisand (“Evergreen”), The Carpenters (“We’ve Only Just Begun”), and Kermit the Frog (“Rainbow Connection”), but is also (barely) known for starring in and writing the music for Brian De Palma’s camp-horror film Phantom of the Paradise in 1974. In the Times, Bangalter described it as “our favorite film, the foundation for a lot of what we’re about artistically.” He and Guy admitted to seeing it more than 20 times each as kids.

https://hazlitt.net/feature/how-phantom-paradise-daft-punk-story

https://youtu.be/wP1w5M0F57U?si=6ck-YHY8RBS1FKUt

And why not

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xXxAKKXiJA4

CV 64 Fan
Oct 13, 2012

It's pretty dope.
How many seriocomic opioid projects do we need?

Slashrat
Jun 6, 2011

YOSPOS
Binged through Bodies on Netflix this weekend, and found it refreshingly entertaining. It worked for me a bit like I Am Mother did, in that there's nothing truly surprising about the mystery plot if you're familiar with the genre, time-travel in this case, but it's well done enough that it kept me engaged anyway.

Teriyaki Hairpiece
Dec 29, 2006

I'm nae the voice o' the darkened thistle, but th' darkened thistle cannae bear the sight o' our Bonnie Prince Bernie nae mair.
I just watched the first three episodes of Bodies, and I liked it except for one thing. There's some pretty silly stuff I'm watching, but the show tries to make everything SO SERIOUS. It doesn't seem to want to be silly at all, even though it is. Sometimes I feel like I'm watching one of those youtube videos where someone takes clips from a sitcom and arranges them in such a way with such music to make it seem like they're from a horror movie.

Megaman's Jockstrap
Jul 16, 2000

What a horrible thread to have a post.
I'm only 2 episodes in but I don't think it's that silly. The dialogue is not great, and it is unrealistic in TV show ways, but it doesn't seem that silly so far.

mystes
May 31, 2006

Having seen the whole thing now, the biggest problem with Bodies is that the ending is very bad in multiple ways.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Tiny Timbs
Sep 6, 2008

Edit: better in another thread