Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

I think Bounty Hunter Wars was the time when I finally said "You know, I don't really care about Mr. Fett anymore."

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Im glad my instant dislike in you has been validated again and again.

fartknocker posted:

I can’t remember who did this, but it was added to the OP and is relevant:

there is some pic of him reading to his grand kid(i think) the visual guide to star wars. it was cute. id watch bernie talk about stupid star wars poo poo.

Dawgstar posted:

I think Bounty Hunter Wars was the time when I finally said "You know, I don't really care about Mr. Fett anymore."

yeah. i like fett but like he is over saturated as magic mary sue bad rear end. what sucks is i liked disney's take on him which was "yeah gently caress this job, i am gonna be my own boss and try to be some paternal crime lord and also i am a pretty chill dude who likes animals" but then they did jack poo poo with it. i would have loved if they made boba fett show a slower burn crime show about and that whole dinner scene would have actual tention. idk andor is great.

Lord Hydronium
Sep 25, 2007

Non, je ne regrette rien

Fett works best in short form, I think, and there's some great short stories and comics with him (including one of my favorites, the one shot Twin Engines of Destruction). Even there, the better ones try to give him some sort of personality and motivation; it's really easy to just turn him into a one dimensional stoic badass, and those tend to be the more boring Fett stories.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Personally I think the best Fett story is Open Seasons. Really love that comic, as someone not really interested in either of the Fetts, or Mandalorians or bounty hunters either.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
One of the stories from FACPOV had him and Dengar reminiscing and being catty about some of the other bounty hunters on the bridge of the Star Destroyer, and I like the characterization of Fett as just one of the lads much more than the stoic soldier who only speaks up to tell people that they shouldn't have sex before marriage.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless Margaret Thatcher
God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I think Boba Fett and the Ship of Fear is one of the best stories, and it's aimed at kids. The short version is he gets a map to some spaceship that's full of treasure and then there's a whole pile of Indiana Jones references when he gets captured by some random bounty hunters after him for unclear reasons. It all ends with it being revealed that he was just after the bounty on the one treasure hunter he's kept alive the whole time and it's a pretty good little read. Just Boba Fett being calm as hell but laser focused on what he came to do and not really caring if the people who crossed him get away or not.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Rochallor posted:

One of the stories from FACPOV had him and Dengar reminiscing and being catty about some of the other bounty hunters on the bridge of the Star Destroyer, and I like the characterization of Fett as just one of the lads much more than the stoic soldier who only speaks up to tell people that they shouldn't have sex before marriage.

yeah. i like the idea of him being kinda of a amoral geralt of rivia type professional rather then a mary sue super stoic badass. he has friends and can turn off the work mode but don't gently caress with him when he is in work mode. it sorta reminds me of how people got really pissed off about nick fury being a chill dude and having hobbies in the captain marvel movie because i liked that. I like the idea that the "big badass quiet guy" can turn it off and its just a face/aspect they where at the job sometime.

Teek
Aug 7, 2006

Whatever.
Some of the book High Republic material will finally be making the jump over to Young Jedi Adventures, the D+ High Republic animated series aimed at the real young ones:

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-young-jedi-adventures-high-republic-book-characters?utm_source=twitter

Cool to see but a hearty lol that they choose to bring over Loden and Starlight. RIP to both

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Teek posted:

Some of the book High Republic material will finally be making the jump over to Young Jedi Adventures, the D+ High Republic animated series aimed at the real young ones:

https://www.ign.com/articles/star-wars-young-jedi-adventures-high-republic-book-characters?utm_source=twitter

Cool to see but a hearty lol that they choose to bring over Loden and Starlight. RIP to both

yeah, i saw some of those while looking for vintage collection figures and i kinda assumed it had to be High/old republic and not prequel/clone wars because if not, that poo poo would have downer ending.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

The Jedi Temple Challenge show had a nonspecific pre-OT setting, until Ahmed Best's character showed up in The Mandalorian during Order 66, so I guess all the kids on that show are definitely dead.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Robot Style posted:

The Jedi Temple Challenge show had a nonspecific pre-OT setting, until Ahmed Best's character showed up in The Mandalorian during Order 66, so I guess all the kids on that show are definitely dead.
Well, I’m off to go edit Wookiepedia now.

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

Even worse - the prize for winning was a lightsaber and a promotion to knighthood, meaning the show was basically a diploma mill to get 8-14 year old Padawans into the Clone Wars meat grinder as soon as possible.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

"There is no such thing as society. There are individual men and women, and there are families. And no government can do anything except through people, and people must look to themselves first."

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dapper_Swindler posted:

yeah, i saw some of those while looking for vintage collection figures and i kinda assumed it had to be High/old republic and not prequel/clone wars because if not, that poo poo would have downer ending.
It's got a downer middle instead. Is that better?

ungulateman
Apr 18, 2012

pretentious fuckwit who isn't half as literate or insightful or clever as he thinks he is

Robot Style posted:

Even worse - the prize for winning was a lightsaber and a promotion to knighthood, meaning the show was basically a diploma mill to get 8-14 year old Padawans into the Clone Wars meat grinder as soon as possible.

i think the absolute best part of star wars is how uncritically so much of it is interpreted, which means that 99% of extraneous stuff produced about it ends up being internally consistent with how hosed up it is. i love pro-droid slavery stories. i love jedi negotiating on behalf of the guys that eat other peoples' fertile eggs. i love count dooku's signature look of superiority

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Robot Style posted:

nice. little timmy gets to watch clankers kill his master and then get bisected by either some random dark jedi moron dooku dug up OR dies to anakin.

ungulateman posted:

i think the absolute best part of star wars is how uncritically so much of it is interpreted, which means that 99% of extraneous stuff produced about it ends up being internally consistent with how hosed up it is. i love pro-droid slavery stories. i love jedi negotiating on behalf of the guys that eat other peoples' fertile eggs. i love count dooku's signature look of superiority

yeah, lots of relativly bright sci-fi and fantasy for families and kids is dark as gently caress when you dig past the intial fluff. also just the fact that the galaxy has been hosed by this one psycho playing some long stupid game for like 90 years.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Svxnf4zNXWI

the only good thing to come out of last skywalker or whatever.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

It's got a downer middle instead. Is that better?

does it. i never followed them. i vaguely know their are like wormhole pirates and a species of audrey 2s.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Are there any good sources that go in-depth on the creation and development of the Clone Wars show?

Robot Style
Jul 5, 2009

There's a guy on youtube that uploads all the bonus features from the franchise's various home video releases, but they're mostly shorter featurettes about the different episodes and arcs and don't really cover the development of the show as a whole.

There's also an art/making of book that came out in 2009, and covers the movie and the first season, as well as touching on the initial development of the show.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady

Dapper_Swindler posted:

does it. i never followed them. i vaguely know their are like wormhole pirates and a species of audrey 2s.
Yeah, there's been quite the bodycount so far in the series. It's very much a story about things going very very wrong in a short period of time.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Filoni was trying to drum up interest in an updated art book that covered all the seasons up through The Lost Missions but that was several years ago and nothing seems to have been said again.

In good news it looks like Legends audiobooks are finally being produced again. Outbound Flight comes out in December, Survivor’s Quest and the Wraith books start coming out next year.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

Robot Style posted:

There's a guy on youtube that uploads all the bonus features from the franchise's various home video releases, but they're mostly shorter featurettes about the different episodes and arcs and don't really cover the development of the show as a whole.

There's also an art/making of book that came out in 2009, and covers the movie and the first season, as well as touching on the initial development of the show.

Thanks, I’ll definitely check the art book out. I really liked the ones for TFA, TLJ, Rogue One, and Solo, though it’s funny that the last one avoids any mention of directors.

The TROS one was of course a big disappointment and it’s crazy that they delayed its publication to include spoilers, but don’t even mention Palpatine. I was really hoping to see some art of Matt Smith as the young Emperor.

Actually, Mando S1 art book was a bit bland also, but I’m guessing there would be a lot more in a TCW book.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, there's been quite the bodycount so far in the series. It's very much a story about things going very very wrong in a short period of time.

i might have to try it. is it overall pretty good or is it like alot of 40k horus heresy where you go by author or fan recomendation?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
There's basically a spine of adult novels and then a whole pile of supplementary material aimed at various age groups. Things vary wildly in relatedness to the central plot, and you can probably skip huge chunks of stuff and never even notice, while other parts end up feeling really weird and just not properly explained without reading a comic or whatever. It's hard to recommend it, even if there are some great bits in there.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

There's basically a spine of adult novels and then a whole pile of supplementary material aimed at various age groups. Things vary wildly in relatedness to the central plot, and you can probably skip huge chunks of stuff and never even notice, while other parts end up feeling really weird and just not properly explained without reading a comic or whatever. It's hard to recommend it, even if there are some great bits in there.

thats kinda what i was worried about, i tried reading wikis and stuff and it seemed all over the place, much like the sequel stuff.

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
Yeah, I can't really recommend the era without some caveats.

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Arquinsiel posted:

Yeah, I can't really recommend the era without some caveats.

oh i am sure. I am 40k fan, i am used to caveats.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

A whole bunch of unabridged audio adaptations of the Essential Legends books (maybe all of the ones that didn't yet get an audio adaptation?) were announced.

Also Thrawn: Alliances is getting a comic adaptation, co-written by Zahn himself. I really didn't like Alliances but I did like the first Thrawn adaptation for tightening up the novel story, so maybe the comic format will improve this one too. Also I wonder if Black Spire will be depicted as the 1950s Manhattan that Zahn described in the novel or more like it "really" looks.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

https://twitter.com/starwars/status/1714340504035361164
https://www.starwars.com/news/tales-from-the-death-star-interview

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

A whole bunch of unabridged audio adaptations of the Essential Legends books (maybe all of the ones that didn't yet get an audio adaptation?) were announced.

Also Thrawn: Alliances is getting a comic adaptation, co-written by Zahn himself. I really didn't like Alliances but I did like the first Thrawn adaptation for tightening up the novel story, so maybe the comic format will improve this one too. Also I wonder if Black Spire will be depicted as the 1950s Manhattan that Zahn described in the novel or more like it "really" looks.

https://www.jedinews.com/literature/articles/star-wars-essential-legends-audiobooks-set-to-return/

the one with the roofie ray is getting one.

Casimir Radon
Aug 2, 2008

Still gonna buy it. I fully support the goofier poo poo in the EU getting unabridged audiobooks because that makes revisiting it so much easier.

Chairman Capone
Dec 17, 2008

I mean, given it introduced Nightsisters and Dathomir, that's arguably the most essential Legends book. (I was also really hoping that one of the other Imperial warlords with Pellaeon in that Mandalorian episode would be Zsinj.)

Did anyone read the new version of Courtship that was the ad for the Disney hotel? Was it actually good?

Dapper_Swindler
Feb 14, 2012

Chairman Capone posted:

I mean, given it introduced Nightsisters and Dathomir, that's arguably the most essential Legends book. (I was also really hoping that one of the other Imperial warlords with Pellaeon in that Mandalorian episode would be Zsinj.)

Did anyone read the new version of Courtship that was the ad for the Disney hotel? Was it actually good?

No idea but the hotel is closed now. Possibly permanently.

Vinylshadow
Mar 20, 2017

The Princess and the Scoundrel was...fine

It explains why Starkiller Base has a Thermal Oscillator

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON
Also I am willing to bet Disney made more money off book sales then they did the hotel

Arc Hammer
Mar 4, 2013

Got any deathsticks?

Vinylshadow posted:

The Princess and the Scoundrel was...fine

It explains why Starkiller Base has a Thermal Oscillator

What did Gaalen Erso plant a secret flaw in the station's design so that his Staardust Jyyn Erso could find the weakness and let the Resistance know?

jivjov
Sep 13, 2007

But how does it taste? Yummy!
Dinosaur Gum

Chairman Capone posted:

I loved it -- it honestly felt like an old Bantam era book in tone. It's much less of a Commercial For The Park than the Black Spire book was -- this one does spend a couple chapters on how cool the luxury space liner is, it felt a lot more natural than the "check out all these shops and restaurants that you, yes YOU Dear Reader, can visit!" and the bulk of the plot ends up being about the destination the cruiser ends up at rather than on the ship itself

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
I found it a little tedious to get through. The author spent way too much time on internal monologues about being uncertain about the future of a relationship and both Han and Leia have the same "voice" in them, which doesn't match how they talk to people, so it just reads like the author is worried about their own marriage or something.

Rochallor
Apr 23, 2010

ふっっっっっっっっっっっっck
I decided to crack open the new From A Certain Point of View, and it still weirds me out how little things changed from Legends to Nu-Canon. You could take these characters in any direction you want, but Max Rebo is still such a glutton that his contract with Jabba involves unlimited food, and EV-9d9 is still a droid who was accidentally programmed to be a sadist. Not that the stories aren't good (well, the Max Rebo one isn't), but increasingly it just feels like they've wiped away everything post-Endor while leaving all the foundations the same. A couple of choice excerpts so far:

I see what you did there posted:

Jatz was, of course, one of the most popular forms of performed and recorded music in the entire galaxy, including Outer Rim worlds such as Orto. It came to be known by many names, some less palatable than others, over time and across cultures.

Maybe the filthiest thing I've ever read in a Star Wars book? posted:

What made that protocol unit special? Why had he been so vocal about his pain? Not all droids expressed fear; in fact, some were quite vapid. Regardless, it gave EV-9D9 an awful kink in her cervical mount just thinking about the protocol droid pleading to get back to work.

And just a reminder that droids are, in fact, people, even if this particular one is a torturer posted:

Even she knew that dreams were for fools. How would she, a class three supervisor droid with a defective motivator, find a way to bypass programming and hold on to memories? How could any droid for that matter? She scrolled through her data. Even class fives like 8D8 were focused on their Maker-given tasks, of smelting, lifting, transporting, fixing…never truly seeking what could be beyond. Unless…

A dreadful thought struck her like a hammer to the chassis: If she had been wiped often, and had worked for Jabba for many years, just how many times had she stood behind this datapad and found this same exact answer? Was this moment not remarkable? Was she in a recursive loop, again and again having a similar eureka moment but then doomed to repeat it at the whim of the giant worm who was her “master”?

Arquinsiel
Jun 1, 2006

God Bless England
RIP My Iron Lady
"kink in her cervical mount" just means "pain in her neck".

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

bunnyofdoom
Mar 29, 2008
THE HATE CRIME DEFENDER HAS LOGGED ON

Arquinsiel posted:

"kink in her cervical mount" just means "pain in her neck".

Kinky