Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Gonna tell my mum I want this for Christmas

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
Hey CA, I haven't been posting much lately but I've been doing plenty of riding and moto-camping.

This year I wanted to see more of Colorado so I went to visit every one of the state's corner survey markers. If you're not from the US, Colorado is the (other) state that is completely rectangular so this meant four stops.

I can't describe what an adventure hitting some of these were, especially getting to the NW corner on a street bike on 100/0 tires in a wet year where the muddy ruts were 3-4 feet deep. I spent two days getting the bike through 40 miles of mud, ruts, bogs, and Rocky mountains and never saw a soul. What a blast.

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
amazing adventure! Good to hear from you friend (i linked your TLS page to my new coworkers just the other day and they were amazed at how smart you are, btw)

Ulf
Jul 15, 2001

FOUR COLORS
ONE LOVE
Nap Ghost
aw shucks, thanks buddy

Glad you are still riding! At least I assume you're back on two (motor)wheels if you're in CA

Jonny 290
May 5, 2005

[ASK] me about OS/2 Warp
Actually rebuilt the carbs on the FZ1 to get ready to kick it to a buddy next year once he figures out how to import it to Ontario. It's too fuckin' much for American poo poo roads. still got the supermoto and i may replace the yamaha with the smallest 4 banger i can find.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
I kinda liked working on jetski carbs because they worked like a logic puzzle.
Stock jetting was typically lean and with high popoff pressure to work with the restrictive intake.
Change the air intake and add a pipe, now the dP across the carb is lower and you'll need to lower popoff pressure to get fuel down the throat.
Increase seat size, decrease spring pressure, or even gently caress with the diaphragm tab.
Different builders had different preferences. Lower popoff is needed, but too much and you'll have fuel dribbling at a shaky idle.
Pilot and main jets have most influence over a certain throttle range but they both contribute almost everywhere. Some builders liked reverse jetting with a much larger pilot than main jet.
Cool thing in the jetski world was that almost all performance carbs were Mikuni SBN based, so all the pieces, bits, springs, rebuild kits, etc worked across the board.

Not so cool was the cost.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
Ulf, that owns!

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

Ulf that looks like an amazing time.

I got this ad for the FUELL (LOLOLOL ok eric go home), that's claiming 150 miles of range out of a 10kw battery.

https://www.fuell.us/products/fuell-fllow-e-motorcycle

Even though this thing is totally top end limited and I assume the 150 miles is for the 15 horse power limited version in ideal city stop/go... it sounds just made up.

For reference, the Zero SR/S is advertised at 187mi of range under those probably same ideal conditions with a 17kw battery.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

My 15kwh LiveWire gets 100 miles in summer.

A 10kwh battery is not doing 150 miles of range unless you ride it at 30mph for 5 hours.

Supradog
Sep 1, 2004

A POOOST!?!??! YEEAAAAHHHH
Now that you’ve had the livewire for a while how is the long term ownership?

Had any strange stuff pop up?

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Yeah those numbers are horseshit like most EV bike numbers advertised.

I see 100mi on average with the 14.4 pack in my SR/F.

Steakandchips
Apr 30, 2009

Supradog posted:

Now that you’ve had the livewire for a while how is the long term ownership?

Had any strange stuff pop up?

Some points I want to note:
1. The Michelin Scorcher tyres are basically only good on the driest of dry, hot, sunny days. Anything less than absolutely perfect conditions and it feels slippery. I'm replacing the Scorchers with Michelin Road 6 tyres as soon as they are worn down.
2. The right turn signal didn't work once, but turning the bike off and on again made it work just fine. The issue has never reoccurred.
3. The included 3pin granny charger is useless when out and about, I will try and get a type 2 to type 2 cable in there for public charging at some point, I hope it fits.
4. The phone pairing to get turn by turn directions on the bike's TFT is useless, and the HD app you are supposed to use with it to do that is also useless. Who gives a poo poo though; with a 100mile range it's not like you're touring, at least not in this country where DC charging isn't reliable (and AC is only good for home charging or just getting 5% while you are getting a sandwich). :scotland:
5. It has depreciated by 50% in 2 years.
6. I love the nice orange colour, so pretty.
7. It's fast and fun.

LodeRunner
Dec 27, 2003

Go on, take the money and run.
I did a demo ride of the S2 Del Mar a couple weeks ago in San Jose and am suitably impressed. I wanted to compare it to the Zero FXS/FXE because they're both sort of Supermoto-esque hooligan machines with good power and quality batteries. For this I brought along my brother who has something like 50k miles on his FXS which we voided all the warranties by overriding the battery contactors and putting a much bigger motor and controller in, as well as a ton of faster charging modules. I've always said that after he burns that bike down, which has proven shockingly robust, he'll need a replacement. This very well could be ideal for him. The Del Mar is nice and narrow with a taller relaxed seating position compared to the LiveWire 1. Everyone in the group was popping wheelies during the demo loop and it's clear the thing packs a LOT of punch. The onboard charger is still not as powerful as I'd like with it taking a little over 2+ hours to refill the 10.5kWh pack, but the rest of it is pretty sweet. They could get rid of about half of the buttons on the instrument cluster, though.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Harley keeps winning

Wrap it up hondailures

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
You just wait for that hybrid ninja

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

LodeRunner posted:

I did a demo ride of the S2 Del Mar a couple weeks ago in San Jose and am suitably impressed. I wanted to compare it to the Zero FXS/FXE because they're both sort of Supermoto-esque hooligan machines with good power and quality batteries. For this I brought along my brother who has something like 50k miles on his FXS which we voided all the warranties by overriding the battery contactors and putting a much bigger motor and controller in, as well as a ton of faster charging modules. I've always said that after he burns that bike down, which has proven shockingly robust, he'll need a replacement. This very well could be ideal for him. The Del Mar is nice and narrow with a taller relaxed seating position compared to the LiveWire 1. Everyone in the group was popping wheelies during the demo loop and it's clear the thing packs a LOT of punch. The onboard charger is still not as powerful as I'd like with it taking a little over 2+ hours to refill the 10.5kWh pack, but the rest of it is pretty sweet. They could get rid of about half of the buttons on the instrument cluster, though.

Is this an electric bike, or is it a 150,000cc aircooled single?

The world may never know

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Is this an electric bike, or is it a 150,000cc aircooled single?

The world may never know

I'd ride this. One tremendous thump every couple of minutes on the highway. Taking off from a stop would be a doozy though

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

LodeRunner posted:

This looks so good.

Would also like to hear more details about the FXS that you modded.

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Performance aside, I’m not a fan of the looks of that bike at all.

I can’t wait until battery tech gets to a point where the bike doesn’t have to be designed around the shape of them.

Toe Rag
Aug 29, 2005

I like the way it looks. XR750 vibes.

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat

Beve Stuscemi posted:

Spoken like a true goldwing owner

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Beve Stuscemi posted:

I can’t wait until battery tech gets to a point where the bike doesn’t have to be designed around the shape of them.

Good news

Russian Bear
Dec 26, 2007

When is Ducati putting these moto e bikes in the dealership at 50k or whatever?

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Russian Bear posted:

When is Ducati putting these moto e bikes in the dealership at 50k or whatever?

When they figure out how to make indicators and headlights etc not add an extra 30kg so the thing weighs the same as a sportster

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

epswing posted:

Spoken like a true goldwing owner

We are known for our discerning taste in motorcycle aesthetics, which is why we ride the minivan of motorcycles.

Remy Marathe
Mar 15, 2007

_________===D ~ ~ _\____/

I like to imagine the aesthetics of my knees mated perfectly to a series of hard ribbed fins, a true expression of post-utilitarianism.

Slavvy
Dec 11, 2012

Remy Marathe posted:

I like to imagine the aesthetics of my knees mated perfectly to a series of hard ribbed fins, a true expression of post-utilitarianism.

That's just a guzzi

numberoneposter
Feb 19, 2014

How much do I cum? The answer might surprise you!

i used to have a le creuset cast iron pan that would leave realistic grill marks. nice red color too.

Phy
Jun 27, 2008

Fun Shoe

Slavvy posted:

I'd ride this. One tremendous thump every couple of minutes on the highway. Taking off from a stop would be a doozy though

We invented that concept back in the 50s, look up Project Orion

opengl
Sep 16, 2010

Buying a trailer has made it way too easy to make impulsive decisions when something shows up cheap

9hp should not be this fun

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Wear your gear, friends.

Like an idiot I went out to drop off packages on the goldwing yesterday with just street shoes. When I was about a quarter mile from my office, I went into a roundabout, and while the bike was leaned over to the left, the left side of my foot touched down, the asphalt grabbed my shoe and jammed it backwards between the road and the bike.

It was over in a fraction of a second, but I knew immediately that I broke something. It probably looked very drama-free to an outside observer. The bike stayed up, I didn’t come off my line much and really my foot just got snatched off the peg. But then I figured out I had to shift with my heel, it was too painful to shift normally. Got to the office, put weight on it, and turned around and went home.

A trip to the walk-in clinic later confirmed my big toe is broken and the rest of my foot is very bruised up and generally injured but not broken.

I’m on crutches/a weird medical shoe till thanksgiving or so, in a fall season that is predicted to be unusually snow-free :smith:

I’m hoping I can come off the crutches soon and just rely on the cast shoe they gave me

Wear your gear, friends.

Beve Stuscemi fucked around with this message at 15:12 on Oct 21, 2023

Rolo
Nov 16, 2005

Hmm, what have we here?
Glad you’re going to be ok!

Not to be a dick and rub it in but I was trying to think of what to do this afternoon until I saw this post and I think I’ll go for a ride!

Beve Stuscemi
Jun 6, 2001

Please do because that’s what I want to do as well.

Wear your gear!

epswing
Nov 4, 2003

Soiled Meat
Yikes. Guess it could’ve been worse. Glad you’re ok.

The only piece missing from my usual gear is pants. I typically wear plain jeans, which I know is about the same as wearing nothing at all, but I haven’t come around yet to spending ~$500 on a single pair of Tobaccos.

What’s a tried/true brand that offers good protection for someone that doesn’t care about form/style at all, and is perhaps half as expensive? Even if they offer half the protection, it’ll be infinitely more protection than normal jeans.

Or am I thinking about this wrong and should just spend $1k on a couple pairs of the expensive stuff?

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe
There's some cheaper Cortechs that can take armor for close out: https://www.motorcyclegear.com/street/pants/reinforced_jeans_and_cargos/cortech/ventura_jean.html

I have something similar and no regrets so far, but also no crashes :)

knox_harrington
Feb 18, 2011

Running no point.

Oof sorry about your toe, Beve.

I'm holidaying on a greek island and will rent a little bike of some kind to get around, absolutely certainly there will be no gear involved apart from helmets.

TotalLossBrain
Oct 20, 2010

Hier graben!
Most crashes happen within 5 miles of home they say

I guess you're probably fine on a Greek island then. Safest, statistically speaking

Finger Prince
Jan 5, 2007

epswing posted:

Yikes. Guess it could’ve been worse. Glad you’re ok.

The only piece missing from my usual gear is pants. I typically wear plain jeans, which I know is about the same as wearing nothing at all, but I haven’t come around yet to spending ~$500 on a single pair of Tobaccos.

What’s a tried/true brand that offers good protection for someone that doesn’t care about form/style at all, and is perhaps half as expensive? Even if they offer half the protection, it’ll be infinitely more protection than normal jeans.

Or am I thinking about this wrong and should just spend $1k on a couple pairs of the expensive stuff?

Klim makes some good riding jeans in the $200-300 price range. Kevlar and cordura lined, removable d3o hip and knee armor, look like normal enough jeans even with the hip armor in.

Chris Knight
Jun 5, 2002

me @ ur posts

Fun Shoe

TotalLossBrain posted:

Most crashes happen within 5 miles of home they say
poo poo, I'd better move!

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Arson Daily
Aug 11, 2003

I had something sort of similar happen to me this week where I bashed the gently caress out of my big left toe on a bed post and then later went for a ride. Couldn't shift out of first because of the pain so I rode around the block and put it away. Terrible week of riding after I dropped my bike doing low speed stuff on Monday. Glad you're not too hosed up beve and it's a good reminder to wear your gear all the time; something I need to be reminded of from time to time.