Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Dawgstar
Jul 15, 2017

Brought To You By posted:

Unfortunately that's about the only cool thing in the entire chapter.

I liked it. Exploring your supporting cast is cool and good. And like somebody said, it's a nice spin on 'the underdog feels bad for not keeping up with the ace.'

Dawgstar fucked around with this message at 01:54 on Oct 16, 2023

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Dawgstar posted:

I liked it. Exploring your supporting cast is cool and good. And like somebody said, it's a nice spin on 'the undergo feels bad for not keeping up with the ace.'

Yeah, I like the angle. Her being upset at Kafka for not being able to keep his promise and be there when she really needed his support is a much more interesting reason for their dynamic than her just being that much better than him. She isn't just being aloof, she was genuinely hurt by his inability to help

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

you know this is gonna end with her being saved by kafka and that's lame

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

you know this is gonna end with her being saved by kafka and that's lame

Eeh.

Normally I'd agree but in this one specific situation she has saved his rear end multiple times and is shown to be terribly competent, so "Kafka finally shows up and shows he is able to support and fight alongside her" feels like there the plot actually should go instead of a way to undermine her.

Especially because I'm sure what will happen is she'll be in danger, Kafka will show up to tank a blow or something, and she'll get the chance to blow the poo poo out of an enemy.

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

ImpAtom posted:

Eeh.

Normally I'd agree but in this one specific situation she has saved his rear end multiple times and is shown to be terribly competent, so "Kafka finally shows up and shows he is able to support and fight alongside her" feels like there the plot actually should go instead of a way to undermine her.

Especially because I'm sure what will happen is she'll be in danger, Kafka will show up to tank a blow or something, and she'll get the chance to blow the poo poo out of an enemy.

Yeah, she's saved his rear end often enough that him returning the favor would, at most, make them even. And she wants to be even, not to stand alone at the apex.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

the problem is that her entire character revolves around her connection to kafka. she doesn't have a personality outside of him. she's here because of him and she acts the way she does because of him

so when she's the only one that needs help out of the 1v1 fights, which is practically inevitable with how this is being set up, it's kinda lame

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

the problem is that her entire character revolves around her connection to kafka. she doesn't have a personality outside of him. she's here because of him and she acts the way she does because of him

so when she's the only one that needs help out of the 1v1 fights, which is practically inevitable with how this is being set up, it's kinda lame

I'm genuinely confused by this because Kafka was responsible for helping in one of those and the other was literally a 2v1 fight, that was the entire point. So far nobody was 'won on their own without any help.'

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

who did he help?

but either way she's not a character outside of her relationship with kafka. her backstory is about him even after they stop hanging out

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Manatee Cannon posted:

who did he help?

but either way she's not a character outside of her relationship with kafka. even her backstory is about him

Shinomiya. She was getting her poo poo kicked before he encouraged her on.

Manatee Cannon
Aug 26, 2010

I think we're counting help differently if that's what you mean

Plutonis
Mar 25, 2011

Roboco is so loving good lol really underrated manga

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Plutonis posted:

I just love how upfront they're being about the current arc

"Yeah the author just watched Across the Spider-Verse and thought it was sick"

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Dawgstar posted:

I liked it. Exploring your supporting cast is cool and good. And like somebody said, it's a nice spin on 'the underdog feels bad for not keeping up with the ace.'

My problem is the same as always; Mina hasn't had enough time and growth to really define her existence beyond Kafka. Kikoru as the actual female lead of the story has gotten to train under another character, develop her own fighting style and signature weapon, and has more going for her as the daughter of the former commanders within this Kaiju combat corp. Mina is already at her apex, she's largely not around, and her personality is so subdued that unlike the other captain with the monster eyes I don't get excited when she's on panel because she barely emotes. Doesn't help that unlike melee weapons, being a walking cannon isn't exactly that cool when it comes to presentation so her combat encounters are pretty much forgettable.

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013

Plutonis posted:

Considering it has an anime and has been running forever I don’t think it’s underrated.
Love the different Roboco’s.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

Just how many mistakes have you suffered on the way here?

An uncountable number, to be sure.

Brought To You By posted:

Doesn't help that unlike melee weapons, being a walking cannon isn't exactly that cool when it comes to presentation so her combat encounters are pretty much forgettable.

At this point I'm sick of the typical shounen power-up cycle so having her end battles immediately in a page or two is quite refreshing actually.

Ibblebibble
Nov 12, 2013

gently caress I'm currently in Japan and I can't access Mangaplus here rip

chiasaur11
Oct 22, 2012

Darth TNT posted:

Considering it has an anime and has been running forever I don’t think it’s underrated.
Love the different Roboco’s.

It's doing quite well in Japan, reliably selling over 20,000 copies a volume (pretty dang good for a gag manga), an anime, a movie, and a Riobot. But overseas it doesn't get much talk.

I still remember the baseball chapter. Funny enough on its own, but even funnier considering that Jump was running a full on baseball manga at the same time, and Roboco was doing better at all the basic duties there in addition to being a gag comedy.

(Also, poor Gorilla Gachi.)

ZepiaEltnamOberon
Oct 25, 2010

I Failed At Anime 2022

chiasaur11 posted:

It's doing quite well in Japan, reliably selling over 20,000 copies a volume (pretty dang good for a gag manga), an anime, a movie, and a Riobot. But overseas it doesn't get much talk.

I still remember the baseball chapter. Funny enough on its own, but even funnier considering that Jump was running a full on baseball manga at the same time, and Roboco was doing better at all the basic duties there in addition to being a gag comedy.

(Also, poor Gorilla Gachi.)

It's a canon event.

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Marriagetoxin: .......Aaand we are finally returning to one of his previous dates and it's time for Ureshino take 2.

Psych! It's actually a new girlfriend candidate! No date repeats! :v: That being said, a tsundere goth/emo girl is pretty strong design, so no big complaints.

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Asmodeus got some much needed character exploration... I guess?

Darth TNT
Sep 20, 2013
That gazebo in Marriagetoxin has seen things.
Not sure I like this girl though.

SpacePig
Apr 4, 2007

Hold that pose.
I've gotta get something.
They can fix her.

Fair Bear Maiden
Jun 17, 2013

Lt. Lizard posted:

Make the Exorcist Fall in Love: Asmodeus got some much needed character exploration... I guess?

I'm genuinely unsure how to feel about a character concluding "I should have raped more" from their tragic backstory, I get that this manga has always been edgy, but this is such a swerve from the more subdued character exploration of this recent arc. And like, to the author's credit, it's treated like a genuinely dreadful crime (which is the bare minimum, but a lot of manga doesn't seem to realize it and uses sex crimes as punchlines), but still, this feels so flippant and tasteless overall.

ImpAtom
May 24, 2007

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

I'm genuinely unsure how to feel about a character concluding "I should have raped more" from their tragic backstory, I get that this manga has always been edgy, but this is such a swerve from the more subdued character exploration of this recent arc. And like, to the author's credit, it's treated like a genuinely dreadful crime (which is the bare minimum, but a lot of manga doesn't seem to realize it and uses sex crimes as punchlines), but still, this feels so flippant and tasteless overall.

Ah, the ol' Dominic Deegan.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this

Fair Bear Maiden posted:

It's not just any character though. The manga runs hard on the idea that demons are exactly as irredeemable as the Bible says they are, no matter how sympathetic they may appear.
Also fun fact her backstory is canonical.

E: Come to think of it almost every bit of edginess comes from taking pieces of catholic/christian canon and running them completely straight without adjusting for modern sensibilities or morality. Personally it's part of what I find fascinating about the story.

Kyte fucked around with this message at 21:27 on Oct 17, 2023

Electric Phantasm
Apr 7, 2011

YOSPOS

Darth TNT posted:

That gazebo in Marriagetoxin has seen things.
Not sure I like this girl though.

Well when you compare her to her potential suitor :stonk:

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012

Kyte posted:

It's not just any character though. The manga runs hard on the idea that demons are exactly as irredeemable as the Bible says they are, no matter how sympathetic they may appear.

I for one was just glad that this chapter didn't serve as some kind of justification like Mammon's whole gripe with the world was framed to be.

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
It was?

muscles like this!
Jan 17, 2005

I'm still plowing through Detective Conan and it is kind of funny how sometimes you can tell Aoyama was kind of having an off day because the case gets very recap heavy.

RatHat
Dec 31, 2007

A tiny behatted rat👒🐀!

Kyte posted:

E: Come to think of it almost every bit of edginess comes from taking pieces of catholic/christian canon and running them completely straight without adjusting for modern sensibilities or morality. Personally it's part of what I find fascinating about the story.

Leviathan wasn’t really portrayed as evil though, and neither is Imuri. I suspect Satan will have a justifiable motivation too

Brought To You By
Oct 31, 2012
Skeleton Double: A completely predictable reveal that the somewhat goofy mad scientist is still a mad scientist at the end of the day. Traitors will not be tolerated

Flair
Apr 5, 2016
"Me and My Gangster Neighbour" just ended.

It was one of the few currently-running shonen manga where family dynamics was a central theme to its narrative. The manga's examination of family dynamics is quite exhaustive and mature, and if any of that perks your interest, I recommend giving this manga a try before Shonen Jump+ puts most of its chapters behind a paywall for becoming a completed work.

Light spoilers: The ending was good. The events towards the ending highlights the past events in a different context. Nevertheless, I wish the story actually delve deeper into the murkier and darker side of family dynamics: we only got a glimpse at those themes at the end. The narrative normally has a story structure of where it sets up story points in more "fluff" slice of life moments which later become more relevant toward climaxes of a storyline or reveal, but in the ending, a lot of Aoi's past was discussed and resolved very quickly. Towards the end, quite a few story beats cut quickly into their themes or messages rather than having those themes and messages be built up and addressed over some chapters. Ultimately, the ending was still good, and overall, the manga is still something I would recommend. But the narrative had more room to explore, and the ending could have been great rather than just good.

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

2nd chapter of Hope You're Happy, Lemon (body-swap with ex-girlfriend): So far it seems like instead of using the premise to examine their feelings or learn something about each other, it instead wants to do the opposite: constantly barrage them with situations so stressful that they lack the time or energy to think of anything else. Kind of disappointing. It's also a bit weird how utterly uninterested it is in how the girl feels living the guy's life, but I suppose that might come later? Or the guy simply doesn't have a life because this is a shounen romance and he's a boring self-insert.

Ytlaya
Nov 13, 2005

Clarste posted:

2nd chapter of Hope You're Happy, Lemon (body-swap with ex-girlfriend): So far it seems like instead of using the premise to examine their feelings or learn something about each other, it instead wants to do the opposite: constantly barrage them with situations so stressful that they lack the time or energy to think of anything else. Kind of disappointing. It's also a bit weird how utterly uninterested it is in how the girl feels living the guy's life, but I suppose that might come later? Or the guy simply doesn't have a life because this is a shounen romance and he's a boring self-insert.

There needs to be a twist where the girl discovers preserved human body parts in the guy's refrigerator, followed by a protagonist switch

Edit: that's also why she lied about cheating. She sensed the guy had bad vibes

doomrider7
Nov 29, 2018

Flair posted:

"Me and My Gangster Neighbour" just ended.

It was one of the few currently-running shonen manga where family dynamics was a central theme to its narrative. The manga's examination of family dynamics is quite exhaustive and mature, and if any of that perks your interest, I recommend giving this manga a try before Shonen Jump+ puts most of its chapters behind a paywall for becoming a completed work.

Light spoilers: The ending was good. The events towards the ending highlights the past events in a different context. Nevertheless, I wish the story actually delve deeper into the murkier and darker side of family dynamics: we only got a glimpse at those themes at the end. The narrative normally has a story structure of where it sets up story points in more "fluff" slice of life moments which later become more relevant toward climaxes of a storyline or reveal, but in the ending, a lot of Aoi's past was discussed and resolved very quickly. Towards the end, quite a few story beats cut quickly into their themes or messages rather than having those themes and messages be built up and addressed over some chapters. Ultimately, the ending was still good, and overall, the manga is still something I would recommend. But the narrative had more room to explore, and the ending could have been great rather than just good.

Getting huge axed vibes from this which is MASSIVELY disappointing since I liked it a lot.

Clarste posted:

Yeah not really surprised. It'll still get 100+ chapters though.

Tarezax
Sep 12, 2009

MORT cancels dance: interrupted by MORT

Ytlaya posted:

There needs to be a twist where the girl discovers preserved human body parts in the guy's refrigerator, followed by a protagonist switch

Edit: that's also why she lied about cheating. She sensed the guy had bad vibes

What if the twist is that Lemon figured out she was lesbian and broke up with protag that way to avoid outing herself. And now both of them are in love with the same girl

Clarste
Apr 15, 2013

That's exactly what I've been hoping for lol. But I kinda doubt it given the genre.

Shinji2015
Aug 31, 2007
Keen on the hygiene and on the mission like a super technician.

Clarste posted:

Yeah, it was pretty disappointing. If anything having them switch back and forth sucks a lot of the urgency out of the situation and makes it more of an inconvenience than a problem.

Tarezax posted:

What if the twist is that Lemon figured out she was lesbian and broke up with protag that way to avoid outing herself. And now both of them are in love with the same girl

I like the way you think. That'd be a hell of a dynamic, too: Lemon getting closer to Roomie in MC's body benefits him, but he feels guilty about taking advantage of the situation. Or alternatively, they're both trying to seduce her regardless of what body they're in, so they're constantly helping and sabotaging themselves at the same time

Kyte
Nov 19, 2013

Never quacked for this
I just think it's boring that Lemon's that bullshit perfect person that exists just to make the other party feel inferior in every way. Honestly she's just as boring as MC, but coming from the other direction.

A Sometimes Food
Dec 8, 2010

Caught up on Shibatarian for Halloween and man. This girl ain't right.

It owns. Genuinely no idea where this is going.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Lt. Lizard
Apr 28, 2013
Hope You're Happy, Lemon: I definitely agree that it could be doing far more interesting things with the premise that it seems to be willing to do, but I still kinda like it. All characters being college-aged and the body swap actually being on repeated schedule, instead of an one-off thing are still pretty ok spins, even if the story continues to be by-the-numbers. Plus the art-style is nice. It's the right amount of fluffy.

And yeah, Shibatarian owns. Watari just saying gently caress it and going fully unhinged is equal parts awesome and extremely worrying. :magical: