Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Queer Grenadier
Jun 14, 2023

THIS GUY HAS A POOPY BOOM BOOM

HE NOT WARSHING HE HOLES LOL
No One Will Save You was an amazing take on aliens and was actually creepy for me. Great for audio, visual lovers.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bAlbXrBopEo

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

DeimosRising
Oct 17, 2005

¡Hola SEA!

Megaman's Jockstrap posted:

No trying to be a prick but Kung Fu Panda was a heavily promoted massively successful decade-and-a-half old mainstream animated blockbuster that spawned a handful of sequels and a TV show - recommending it feels like earnestly recommending Star Wars, and if you're interested in a darker science fiction movie, watch the sequel, The Empire Strikes Back. That one features a more layered villain, bigger action sequences, and it delves deeper into characters of the first movie.

I think it’s extremely cool that someone registered for this forum in 2023 and their first two posts were both extremely earnest and about kung fu panda, I am not being ironic in any way that rules

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
I'm looking for films or TV shows that are similar to The Thing. Not necessarily horror or aliens, I'm leaning more towards cold weather, isolation, big parka coats and survival. The TV series Fortitude and the film Hold the Dark are pretty good examples of the kind of aesthetic I'm looking for.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Kosmo Gallion posted:

I'm looking for films or TV shows that are similar to The Thing. Not necessarily horror or aliens, I'm leaning more towards cold weather, isolation, big parka coats and survival. The TV series Fortitude and the film Hold the Dark are pretty good examples of the kind of aesthetic I'm looking for.

Black Mountain Side is a pretty good (for its budget which is low) Lovecraftian horror film about Canadian archaeologists who discover an ancient black pyramid in the snow.

Also Ravenous which is about cannabalism and Western expansion in the 1840’s.

The first season of The Terror is about sailors iced in for years in sailboats, starving, going insane and getting eaten by a demonic polar bear. Stellar cast too.

I like horror set in the cold.

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

Kosmo Gallion posted:

Haven't seen it myself but I think that's a pretty good description of 30 Days of Night.

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013

regulargonzalez posted:

Haven't seen it myself but I think that's a pretty good description of 30 Days of Night.

Yeah, 30 Days of Night is a great film and that's what I'm looking for.

Xiahou Dun posted:

Black Mountain Side is a pretty good (for its budget which is low) Lovecraftian horror film about Canadian archaeologists who discover an ancient black pyramid in the snow.

The first season of The Terror is about sailors iced in for years in sailboats, starving, going insane and getting eaten by a demonic polar bear. Stellar cast too.

Black Side Mountain sounds like exactly the kind of thing I'm looking for thanks! I really enjoyed The Terror as well, that definitely warrants another rewatch.

I just remembered about cold weather ice horror film I definitely won't be watching again: Alien vs Predator.

Bald Stalin
Jul 11, 2004

Our posts
Would Hateful Eight count?

Kosmo Gallion
Sep 13, 2013
Sort of, it's got many of the things that I'm looking for but I'm after something a bit more modern. The Hateful Eight is a fantastic film though and I feel it's somehow underrated.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

It feels consensus that it's Quentin's worst. It's also probably his least watched of his modern work.

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Gaius Marius posted:

It feels consensus that it's Quentin's worst. It's also probably his least watched of his modern work.

Really? I’m a world where the Kill Bills exist?

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Kill Bill Duology is sliding into the slot Jackie Brown used to occupy as the hipster best film now that the general consensus on Jackie Brown has been suitably reappraised. Personally I think Once upon a time...is his best but that's not super popular

glasnost toyboy
May 29, 2009

Gaius Marius posted:

Kill Bill Duology is sliding into the slot Jackie Brown used to occupy as the hipster best film now that the general consensus on Jackie Brown has been suitably reappraised. Personally I think Once upon a time...is his best but that's not super popular

Uh, I've never spoken to anyone that thinks that the Kill Bills are his best. I'd remember because that sure is an opinion.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

I just watched Raw (2016) and it gave me a lot of the same kind of quiet dread and mystery that I got from It Follows. The slow build and soundtrack also, very wonderfully put together. Someone at the video store recommended I check out Sole Survivor, which brought a lot of the same stuff and I also enjoyed.
What else should I check out like this? I've got Titane on the list, from the director of Raw.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

We shall dive down through black abysses... and in that lair of the Deep Ones we shall dwell amidst wonder and glory forever.

Big Mac posted:

I just watched Raw (2016) and it gave me a lot of the same kind of quiet dread and mystery that I got from It Follows. The slow build and soundtrack also, very wonderfully put together. Someone at the video store recommended I check out Sole Survivor, which brought a lot of the same stuff and I also enjoyed.
What else should I check out like this? I've got Titane on the list, from the director of Raw.

Where are you that has a video store but also films from 2016.

How much horror have you already watched? “Eerie, quiet dread” is basically its own sub-genre so there are looooooooads. The VVitch, Apostle, Older Gods, The Black Coat’s Daughter and The Empty Man is a partial list of personal favorite’s from the last 6 years, but you might want to just stop by the horror thread for more. (Or maybe even check out the October Challenge!)

Ninja : like, have you seen Halloween?

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

glasnost toyboy posted:

Uh, I've never spoken to anyone that thinks that the Kill Bills are his best. I'd remember because that sure is an opinion.

I think the Kill Bills are his best.

Big Mac
Jan 3, 2007

Xiahou Dun posted:

Where are you that has a video store but also films from 2016.

How much horror have you already watched? “Eerie, quiet dread” is basically its own sub-genre so there are looooooooads. The VVitch, Apostle, Older Gods, The Black Coat’s Daughter and The Empty Man is a partial list of personal favorite’s from the last 6 years, but you might want to just stop by the horror thread for more. (Or maybe even check out the October Challenge!)

Ninja : like, have you seen Halloween?

I'm in Portland so I go to Movie Madness, which is like heaven. It's recently become a part of the big local nonprofit movie palace, The Hollywood Theatre. They're bumping up to about 100,000 titles and have a bunch of original props and costumes on display, too.
I'm a bit under-exposed to horror, but I know that The VVitch and The Black Coat's Daughter are GREAT. TBCD is exceedingly underrated. I'll definitely be checking out those other three.

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

poo poo, that’s another good reason to go to Portland.

Here’s a link to the horror thread. It’s super chill and open to everyone who likes a spooky good time.

You might like Oz Perkins’s stuff in general. He’s done other stuff besides Black Coat’s Daughter and they all rip. He always has strong visuals and has an excellent grasp of tension.

Dr. Yinz Ljubljana
Nov 25, 2013

Xiahou Dun posted:

grab a blanket and settle in :

Dead of Winter
A Simple Plan
Wind Chill
Let The Right One In (the original, remake is just ok)
Frozen (the one about getting stuck on a ski lift not the disney musical, natch)
Devil's Pass (the Blair Witch style faux documentary about the Dyatlov Pass incident)

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm looking for movies set in or around World War 2 in Asia. Not documentaries (unless you've got a really good one to suggest.) China or India in particular would be great.

Kvlt!
May 19, 2012

Bongo Bill posted:

I'm looking for movies set in or around World War 2 in Asia. Not documentaries (unless you've got a really good one to suggest.) China or India in particular would be great.

Letters From Iwo Jima (Japan)

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Bongo Bill posted:

Do you care about anything besides the setting? It feels weird to answer both Ip Man and Hidden Blade. (Although both of those are pretty good in their genres)

Just to be clear : China during WWII was a loving bad place to be and none of those movies are super happy. You probably knew that, but getting blindsided by that would be bad enough I’ll err on the side of caution.

Bongo Bill
Jan 17, 2012

I'm not expecting sunshine and rainbows here, no. But it's really just the setting that I'm asking about.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Is saying Bridge on the River Kwai too obvious? It's practically a must for what you want.

Llamadeus
Dec 20, 2005

Bongo Bill posted:

The Burmese Harp, Fires on the Plain, Empire of the Sun, The Human Condition (trilogy)

therattle
Jul 24, 2007
Soiled Meat

Onomarchus posted:

Is saying Bridge on the River Kwai too obvious? It's practically a must for what you want.

I was going to say that.
Merry Christmas Mr Lawrence
The Railway Man
Lust, Caution

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Devils on the Doorstep

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Forgot one I remembered for something else: Grave of the Fireflies, for Japan.

Zogo
Jul 29, 2003

Bongo Bill posted:

Red Angel (1966)

FitFortDanga
Nov 19, 2004

Nice try, asshole

Coaaab posted:

Devils on the Doorstep

this this this

Also Kuroi Ame (Black Rain). And while The Emperor's Naked Army Marches On is a documentary, it's pretty incredible.

Lord Lambeth
Dec 7, 2011

Hit me up with the best romance movies you can think of.

They can be romance comedies, but they don't have to be.

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Before Sunrise/Sunset
Brief Encounter
Chunking Express
Handmaiden
La Jetée
Carol
The Earrings of Madame de...
Remains of the Day
Punch Drunk Love
Two English Girls
Brooklyn
Ocean Waves
The Age of Innocence

regulargonzalez
Aug 18, 2006
UNGH LET ME LICK THOSE BOOTS DADDY HULU ;-* ;-* ;-* YES YES GIVE ME ALL THE CORPORATE CUMMIES :shepspends: :shepspends: :shepspends: ADBLOCK USERS DESERVE THE DEATH PENALTY, DON'T THEY DADDY?
WHEN THE RICH GET RICHER I GET HORNIER :a2m::a2m::a2m::a2m:

In the Mood for Love (and if bittersweet love stories are your thing, do yourself a favor and watch everything Wong Kar Wei, except for My Blueberry Nights)

Roman Holiday

Azhais
Feb 5, 2007
Switchblade Switcharoo
His Girl Friday
Bend it like Beckham
Joe vs the Volcano

morestuff
Aug 2, 2008

You can't stop what's coming
The Shop Around The Corner

Xiahou Dun
Jul 16, 2009

Lord Lambeth posted:

The best romance film will always be Ang Lee’s Sense and Sensibility. Emma Thompson is delightful.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Jules and Jim
Moonlight
Brokeback Mountain
The Red Shoes (arguably)

Gaius Marius
Oct 9, 2012

Jules and Jim as a romance is debatable.

Onomarchus
Jun 4, 2005

Gaius Marius posted:

Jules and Jim as a romance is debatable.

I thought love triangle automatically means romance. I would have said The Earrings of Madame de... but someone beat me to it, then I thought of another good movie that plot element reminded me of. Or maybe I thought of it first because I'm sure it belongs.

Anyway, I remembered some great ones that didn't spring to mind at first:

Au Hasard Balthasar (what the focus is must have thrown me)
Last Year at Marienbad [pre-redacted, see it for yourself]

Timby
Dec 23, 2006

Your mother!

Lord Lambeth posted:

The American President. Casablanca. Cinema Paradiso. Sing Street.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Coaaab
Aug 6, 2006

Wish I was there...
Sunrise (1927)
L'atalante (1934)
It Happened One Night (1934)
Le ciel est à vous (1944)
All That Heaven Allows (1955)
The Apartment (1960)
I fidanzati (1963) and La Cotta (1967)
Seeking a Friend for the End of the World (2012)