Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

RoboChrist 9000
Dec 14, 2006

Mater Dolorosa
Woke culture implies that being racist without screaming the N word at the top of your lungs and/or actively lynching black people in the town square is still, in fact, bad and not acceptable. Woke culture implies that recognizing women are not only not property - already a ridiculous ask! - but in fact might be human beings is necessary and good.

I could go on. It's really quite simple: woke culture says that being less evil than a literal open Nazi or Klansman is still not enough and this is unacceptable to these people because they are already deeply unhappy about not being allowed to be literal open Nazis an Klansmen. It's really that simple. They can't define it because it's both nebulous like that, and more importantly because if they were able to define it, they would not need to as it would mean they no longer needed masks.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

Elephant Ambush
Nov 13, 2012

...We sholde spenden more time together. What sayest thou?
Nap Ghost
"woke" just means "anything not in Leave it to Beaver" e.g. Anything that's not traditional cishet white religious American "values". It's pretty easy to figure out

And no we shouldn't care because we're not bigots

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Would you like to play a game?

Elephant Ambush posted:

"woke" just means "anything not in Leave it to Beaver" e.g. Anything that's not traditional cishet white religious American "values". It's pretty easy to figure out

And no we shouldn't care because we're not bigots
More specifically they use ‘woke’ to mean ‘thing we don’t like’. That’s all.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

I think it serves as a shibboleth as well. If you have to ask what it means or you’re not already in agreement about it when you hear it, you’re the enemy. We don’t care that it doesn’t taste like apples, grandpa!

BiggerBoat
Sep 26, 2007

Don't you tell me my business again.

Kale posted:

I'm still kind of awestruck by, especially considering how long right wing people have been going on about it, they're inability to articulate in any meaningful way what their grievance is with "woke culture", why anyone should really loving care beyond them bringing it up as a talking point at random when they seemingly have nothing else to talk about, or to even actually define "woke" other than that it apparently exists and everyone should be rejecting it. You kind of have to hand it to RWM grifters in selling people this particular grievance well and what looks to be the actual thought control being "force fed down people's throats" cause none of it makes any loving sense.

They used to call it "politically incorrect" and, like then, all it really means is "try to be polite, see if avoid you can avoid being an rear end in a top hat, apologize if you are and understand that not everyone is just like you". That's really IT. Like, seriously all there loving is to it. "Try to be nice". But these folks look at it as if you're being offended, then it's your problem because "Mah' Freedum ah' speech". But it's gotten to the point now where if you're not offending someone, you're speaking wrong. Not freely.

I had some interesting conversations today with some coworkers that I'll put in another post.

In RWM news: some lady called into WGOP today and called Jim Jordan a deeply moral man, a patriot and someone who hates corruption and scandal. Jim Jordan, the guy that looked the other way and helped cover up a sex abuse scandal at Ohio State University.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ohio_...to%20stop%20it.

I guess that's fake news?

I also accidentally got to listen to that "Try That in a Small Town" song and, musically, it's not bad but, lyrically, jesus god what a load of poo poo. It reeks of "any N-words , F-words, commies, trans folk or flag burners that try that poo poo will get shot" and, perhaps even worse, is trying to espouse the values of small towns that "look out for each other". And it's loving bullshit.

Now, lemme tell you something about small towns; especially ones in the south. They're among the most corrupt, dishonest, hate filled, violent, unwelcoming and mean loving places I've ever been. And I've lived in Center City Philadelphia, The Mission DIstrict in SF and Decatur in Atlanta. These small burgs that conservatives like to romanticize are often riddled with drugs, robberies, DUI's, assaults, bullies, meth labs and all sorts of hateful poo poo. The cops in these towns are also totally out of control. Speed traps, random searches, profiling, corruption, shakedowns, brutality...you name it. The churches that prey on the community are similarly corrupt and work in unison with the cops, the church and whatever passes for government, which is usually some combination of those things. Sure, they all know each other but gently caress me if they get along. No coincidence at all that all they can find to listen to is RW talk radio, church broadcasts and country songs telling them their the salt of the loving earth because they go to church, stand for the flag and own guns.

TL/DR: Get the gently caress out of here with that good ole southern hospitality bullshit.

The people in many of these places loving hate each other, let alone outsiders, and view EVERYONE as a potential threat, with fear and with utter disdain. They're not polite nor hospitable. That segment from Easy Rider is not made up and the stereotypes of mean rednecks are not at all unearned. I've felt as uncomfortable in Rifle Colorado, Valdosta GA or Bakersfield CA as I ever did on 12th and Walnut in Philly, South Atlanta, Chicago or riding BART in SF.

I know I'm painting them with a broad brush here and they're not ALL like that but my experiences have not been pleasant.

BiggerBoat fucked around with this message at 23:39 on Oct 21, 2023

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!
I found it a little :stonk: that the song whips from taking about various actual crimes to just... Protesting with the ominous implication that the reprisal is going to be uniform.

TheArchimage
Dec 17, 2008

BiggerBoat posted:

I also accidentally got to listen to that "Try That in a Small Town" song and, musically, it's not bad but, lyrically, jesus god what a load of poo poo. It reeks of "any N-words , F-words, commies, trans folk or flag burners that try that poo poo will get shot" and, perhaps even worse, is trying to espouse the values of small towns that "look out for each other". And it's loving bullshit.

It's part of the brand of "country" music which otherizes anyone not exactly like them by claiming exclusive ownership of universal values. "We aren't like those city folk, we respect other people/love our kids/don't burn kittens/etc." It encourages the listener to think of themselves as superior by convincing them that anyone who disagrees with them is subhuman. And you can tell they think of it this way because if they know you aren't "like them" you can see them watch for your reaction with a poo poo-eating grin hoping to catch the moment the lib gets owned. It's a big part of why I don't respect people who listen to modern country music; if the best thing you can say about yourself is "I love my children" then you aren't worth being around.

Charlz Guybon
Nov 16, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

I think it serves as a shibboleth as well. If you have to ask what it means or you’re not already in agreement about it when you hear it, you’re the enemy. We don’t care that it doesn’t taste like apples, grandpa!

https://www.usatoday.com/story/news/politics/2023/06/02/donald-trump-woke-meaning/70279963007/

quote:

Former President Donald Trump told a crowd of supporters he doesn’t like the term “woke,” arguing that people using the term don’t know what it means.

“I don’t like the term ‘woke’ because I hear ‘woke woke woke.’ It’s just a term they use, half the people can’t even define it, they don’t know what it is,” Trump said Thursday during remarks at the Westside Conservative Club in Urbandale, Iowa.

happyhippy
Feb 21, 2005

Playing games, watching movies, owning goons. 'sup
Pillbug

And it has morphed since from the crying part into 'Gonna Stand mah ground by shooting y'all'

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

happyhippy posted:

And it has morphed since from the crying part into 'Gonna Stand mah ground by shooting y'all'

That bud lite didn't age well either

The Islamic Shock
Apr 8, 2021
Trump... right about something? Feels weird man.

Larryb
Oct 5, 2010

Huh, I actually agree with Donald Trump about something. Not sure how to feel about that

Vincent Van Goatse
Nov 8, 2006

Enjoy every sandwich.

Smellrose

happyhippy posted:

Also no more Bud Light because that's what them gender types drink.

Lemniscate Blue
Apr 21, 2006

Here we go again.

The Islamic Shock posted:

Larryb posted:

Huh, I actually agree with Donald Trump about something. Not sure how to feel about that

I wouldn't worry. I doubt you two have the same people who use "woke" but can't define it as Trump does.

Shooting Blanks
Jun 6, 2007

Real bullets mess up how cool this thing looks.

-Blade

The Islamic Shock posted:

Larryb posted:

This couldn't possibly be anything to campaign against DeSantis, the only real challenger Trump has for 2024.

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
There's nothing like the Canadian Residential School system to make the world's worst people write the most odious stuff.

(From what I can tell from reliable sources, while it's true that I don't think graves were ever unmarked from the beginning, there was astonishing racism and neglect involved at every level of the residential system. Children were abused with harsh discipline intended to forcibly assimilate them, schools were so unconcerned with their well-being that native children had a double or triple rate of tuberculosis death than white Canadians, and there was little care or funding for ensuring that dead children had dignified, maintained gravesites. Native Canadian leaders were consistent in these points going back years.)

Every paragraph of this has something false or morally disgusting.

quote:

The narrative exploded overnight, and as a result, many Catholic churches were razed and others vandalized. It was remarkable to live through, as it was in the summer of 2021 when vaccine hatred really started to ramp up. It was a very difficult time to be a Catholic Canadian, and a vaccine heretic at that.

Reserves in Canada are notorious for being run by corrupt opportunists who oppress their own people and exploit lax legal restrictions to run gambling, drug, and prostitution operations. Do we really think the people who run these communities will be forthright when an opportunity arises to amp up the victim card and demonize the evil colonists?

The problem is much deeper than this empty grave hoax, however. Until the last 20 years or so, Residential Schools were seen for what they were, heroic institutions that offered native Canadians a shot at living a civilized life, educated in an official Canadian language. People have become so ignorant of history that they have no idea what life was like for the natives before the “evil” Europeans dared step foot on Canadian soil. Even so-called conservatives in Canada are likely to fall for the myth that Europeans “stole” land from the Natives, or other such idiocies.

The province of Ontario alone is three times the size of Texas. There were perhaps tens of thousands of natives, based on estimates, living around the Great Lakes region. You could walk for a month and a half through Canadian forests and prairie lands without ever encountering another human being. Nothing was “stolen” unless “stealing” is the same thing as sitting down on a patch of grass in an empty park.

But are we really to believe that it was bad for Europeans to not only bring the Catholic Faith but also education, medicine, indoor plumbing, farming techniques, and a general spirit of not eating human flesh and scalping enemies?

Maybe they should have just stood by and allowed the Natives to define marriage any way they wanted, which, of course, included arranged marriages and veritable sex slavery under various forms of polygamy. 

Perhaps instead of helping the Natives build infrastructure that could withstand all weather conditions more effectively, the Europeans should just have allowed the Natives to do sun dances when there had been too much rain, or rain dances when it was too hot.

I will not apologize for the glorious work the missionaries did in Canada—even if there was a bad apple here and there—any more than I will apologize for the fact that St. Patrick converted the Druids; St. Boniface axed down the German pagans’ sacred oak; St. Augustine of Canterbury converted the Vikings; the Church burned notorious heretics—which is to say spiritual serial killers—at the stake; Sts. Cyril and Methodius ripped the Slavs away from Rodnovery; or the glorious Crusaders killed Muslim infidels who had taken Christian women as sex slaves and stolen Christ’s Holy Land.
https://crisismagazine.com/opinion/trudeaus-empty-graves

William Bear fucked around with this message at 19:37 on Oct 22, 2023

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Jesus Christ

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

That last paragraph really, really loving went for it.

"There's a long history of torturing and messily murdering barbarians and raising their children in a superior culture, why are you weeping about this one?"

Heck Yes! Loam!
Nov 15, 2004

a rich, friable soil containing a relatively equal mixture of sand and silt and a somewhat smaller proportion of clay.
Blame Canada!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

Love to stan for the Crusaders to the Holy Land

Those people exist???

Panfilo
Aug 27, 2011
Probation
Can't post for 3 days!

William Bear posted:

There's nothing like the Canadian Residential School system to make the world's worst people write the most odious stuff.

(From what I can tell from reliable sources, while it's true that I don't think graves were ever unmarked from the beginning, there was astonishing racism and neglect involved at every level of the residential system. Children were abused with harsh discipline intended to forcibly assimilate them, schools were so unconcerned with their well-being that native children had a double or triple rate of tuberculosis death than white Canadians, and there was little care or funding for ensuring that dead children had dignified, maintained gravesites. Native Canadian leaders were consistent in these points going back years.)

The problem is that as soon as they didn't find bodies people thought existed it became more than enough of an excuse to discredit the entire thing. It became yet another 'Smollet' type hoax used to buttress right wing criticisms of the left. I loving guarantee they'll work this hoax into every 'debate' they have about the mistreatment of First Nations individuals.

That didn't happen, there were no unmarked graves
And if there were, it wasn't because they were First Nations
And if it was, that's not White peoples fault
And if it is, then it must be racist leftist policies driving it, like slavery.
And if it was white conservatives , nobody responsible is even alive anymore to be punished anyway.
And if they are alive, then it's the leftists fault for upsetting religious people into doing all this in the first place.

...!
Oct 5, 2003

I SHOULD KEEP MY DUMB MOUTH SHUT INSTEAD OF SPEWING HORSESHIT ABOUT THE ORBITAL MECHANICS OF THE JAMES WEBB SPACE TELESCOPE.

CAN SOMEONE PLEASE TELL ME WHAT A LAGRANGE POINT IS?

William Bear posted:

:stare:

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

Every moment that I'm alive, I pray for death!
Jesus christ that's vile. Like, it's almost better if you re-imagine it as a thought experiment of "what would a modern version of The White Man's Burden look like if written by a freeper?"

William Bear
Oct 26, 2012

"That's what they all say!"
Of course, Pope Francis visited Canada in 2022 to apologize for the Catholic role in the residential school system, called it genocide, and later, officially repudiated the Doctrine of Discovery as Catholic doctrine. So a nominally Catholic publication shouldn't be publishing this trash.

The Crisis Magazine, however, is the kind of Catholic magazine that hates Francis and sees even his smallest reforms as a betrayal of tradition.

I AM GRANDO
Aug 20, 2006

Right-wing celebration of Israel is a weird way to attack Democrats because there is literally no daylight between republican and democratic policy re: Israel. There is at most a difference in rhetoric where democrats talk about a lone bastion of democracy and republicans scream about how all Arabs must die.

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

I AM GRANDO posted:

Right-wing celebration of Israel is a weird way to attack Democrats because there is literally no daylight between republican and democratic policy re: Israel. There is at most a difference in rhetoric where democrats talk about a lone bastion of democracy and republicans scream about how all Arabs must die.

I don’t know. This seems like intent matters.

“Hey guys can we not go a decade or so without a ‘kill all the Jews’ war?”

Vs..

“If we ramp up tensions and get everyone to kill everyone else in the area then that’s got to bring on the rapture, right?”

Is maybe not a lot of daylight policy wise but the end goal isn’t even close.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Murgos posted:

I don’t know. This seems like intent matters.

“Hey guys can we not go a decade or so without a ‘kill all the Jews’ war?”

Vs..

“If we ramp up tensions and get everyone to kill everyone else in the area then that’s got to bring on the rapture, right?”

Is maybe not a lot of daylight policy wise but the end goal isn’t even close.

There hasn't been a 'kill all the Jews' war since WW2, there's been a few "get the gently caress off our land" international wars since, and occasionally some uprisings against Apartheid. The framing that Israel must have an ethnostate and be allowed to oppress Palestinians, which is a mainstream Democratic position, is itself right-wing media in the worst way. They're just slightly less horny for mass death than the hard right.

OneEightHundred
Feb 28, 2008

Soon, we will be unstoppable!

Larryb posted:

What he really means is some flavor of "I wish people would stop talking about this culture war stuff and focus on the important thing: Me."

Edgar Allen Ho
Apr 3, 2017

by sebmojo

happyhippy posted:

"we live back in the woods ya see, them big city problems don't bother meeeeeee"

-man who lives in a suburb and dresses in a closet with more square footage than a normal person's apartment

Murgos
Oct 21, 2010

PT6A posted:

"he framing that Israel must have an ethnostate and be allowed to oppress Palestinians, which is a mainstream Democratic position

There are 1.7 million non-Palestinian Muslims in Israel, close to 30% of the population. Please provide evidence for your assertion that there is a mainstream Democratic position to purge them to form an 'Ethnostate'.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Public school teachers are callous dictators who won't lift a finger to stop children from peeing in my plane

Murgos posted:

There are 1.7 million non-Palestinian Muslims in Israel, close to 30% of the population. Please provide evidence for your assertion that there is a mainstream Democratic position to purge them to form an 'Ethnostate'.

Hmmm I wonder what Wikipedia has to say about that.

“In its Basic Laws, Israel defines itself as a Jewish and democratic state, and as the nation-state of the Jewish people.“

I don’t think it intends to purge the non-Jewish citizen population, but it defines itself as an ethnostate. I think that’s bad, that’s an inherently right-wing proposition.

Weatherman
Jul 30, 2003

WARBLEKLONK

PT6A posted:

Hmmm I wonder what Wikipedia has to say about that.

“In its Basic Laws, Israel defines itself as a Jewish and democratic state, and as the nation-state of the Jewish people.“

I don’t think it intends to purge the non-Jewish citizen population, but it defines itself as an ethnostate. I think that’s bad, that’s an inherently right-wing proposition.

Yes that's nice but Murgos asked you to back up the assertion about a mainstream Democratic policy blah blah, not the word "ethnostate" in isolation. Keep going.

PT6A
Jan 5, 2006

Weatherman posted:

Yes that's nice but Murgos asked you to back up the assertion about a mainstream Democratic policy blah blah, not the word "ethnostate" in isolation. Keep going.

Yes, it is a mainstream Democratic position to support Israel. The Democratic president has said, on many occasions, things like "we stand by Israel" and "Israel has a right to defend itself." Prominent Democratic leaders have followed this, with only a few speaking out against it. No prominent Democrats have stated, by word or action, that the Jewish character of Israel, as enshrined in its law, is contrary to small-d democratic values. No prominent Democrats have called for a one-state solution which provides equal human and civil rights to Palestinians in the occupied territories -- at most, you have a few who have supported a two-state solution which is just more ethnostate bullshit.

Many very smart Israelis including Miko Peled and Ilan Pappe have described a one-state, post-Zionist solution which would not involve the ethnic cleansing of Israel, but rather two groups living side-by-side in legal equality, exactly as we have in other settler-colonial states that have civilized themselves somewhat. I'm not enough of an optimist to say there will be de facto equality any time soon -- after all, there still isn't between settlers and Indigenous peoples anywhere in the Americas, but many of our countries have stopped the explicit legal division between the two groups in terms of human and civil rights. It's not an insane idea, because if you're a Canadian or an American or an Australian or a South African... you've already seen it done!

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

I don’t think Israel would ever agree voluntarily to a one-state solution with full equality when the Palestinian Arab population outnumbers the Jewish Israeli one already.

The solution to Aparheid S.A. was BDS, but Israel has mostly succeeded in stopping that scenario.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

FlamingLiberal posted:

I don’t think Israel would ever agree voluntarily to a one-state solution with full equality when the Palestinian Arab population outnumbers the Jewish Israeli one already.

Historian Tony Judt, himself Jewish and who had lived in Israel for a few years as a younger man (and served as a volunteer in the Six Day War), got in a fair amount of trouble in 2003 when he argued the peace process was not only dead but had been murdered, and that,

quote:

Thanks to its occupation of the lands conquered in 1967, Israel today faces three unattractive choices. It can dismantle the Jewish settlements in the territories, return to the 1967 state borders within which Jews constitute a clear majority, and thus remain both a Jewish state and a democracy, albeit one with a constitutionally anomalous community of second-class Arab citizens.

Alternatively, Israel can continue to occupy ”˜Samaria,’ ”˜Judea,’ and Gaza, whose Arab population—added to that of present-day Israel—will become the demographic majority within five to eight years: in which case Israel will be either a Jewish state (with an ever-larger majority of unenfranchised non-Jews) or it will be a democracy. But logically it cannot be both.

Or else Israel can keep control of the occupied territories but get rid of the overwhelming majority of the Arab population: either by forcible expulsion or else by starving them of land and livelihood, leaving them no option but to go into exile. In this way Israel could indeed remain both Jewish and at least formally democratic: but at the cost of becoming the first modern democracy to conduct full-scale ethnic cleansing as a state project, something which would condemn Israel forever to the status of an outlaw state, an international pariah.

So, options two or three seems to be the way we're headed.

LionYeti
Oct 12, 2008

Captain_Maclaine posted:

Historian Tony Judt, himself Jewish and who had lived in Israel for a few years as a younger man (and served as a volunteer in the Six Day War), got in a fair amount of trouble in 2003 when he argued the peace process was not only dead but had been murdered, and that,

So, options two or three seems to be the way we're headed.

I think Ol Tony is overestimating how much of a pariah Israel would be if they implemented option 3.

Captain_Maclaine
Sep 30, 2001

LionYeti posted:

I think Ol Tony is overestimating how much of a pariah Israel would be if they implemented option 3.

He revised his opinion shortly before his own death, in that direction. He had in 2003 estimated that America would get tired of Israel's continuing flouting of international law and would eventually turn its back on the increasingly-Apartheid state, but by 2010 he soured on that, claiming that American foreign policy had in this regard subordinated itself to the Israeli cabinet.

HootTheOwl
May 13, 2012

Hootin and shootin

LionYeti posted:

What? It's the option they're engaging right now to thunderous applause?

Platonicsolid
Nov 17, 2008

HootTheOwl posted:

We committed a litany of human rights abuses and war crimes within the past two decades and the only punishments were for the people who *let the US public know*.

And then we elected a fascist.

So this is not surprising in the least.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

FlamingLiberal
Jan 18, 2009

HootTheOwl posted:

Yes that's what they've been doing for the last 20 years essentially. With the one noted exception that after 2003 they did remove the settlements from Gaza.