Register a SA Forums Account here!
JOINING THE SA FORUMS WILL REMOVE THIS BIG AD, THE ANNOYING UNDERLINED ADS, AND STUPID INTERSTITIAL ADS!!!

You can: log in, read the tech support FAQ, or request your lost password. This dumb message (and those ads) will appear on every screen until you register! Get rid of this crap by registering your own SA Forums Account and joining roughly 150,000 Goons, for the one-time price of $9.95! We charge money because it costs us money per month for bills, and since we don't believe in showing ads to our users, we try to make the money back through forum registrations.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We live in a pretty dry climate and our daycare only lets them outside for 45 min a day. Sometimes she comes home with dirty pants but that's about it

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

SixFigureSandwich
Oct 30, 2004
Exciting Lemon
22mo old learned a new word.

Her: pita! (pizza)
Me: we don't have any pizza
Her: buy!

abigserve
Sep 13, 2009

this is a better avatar than what I had before
Eczma chat; my son has had it all his life and it coincides with the amount of baths/showers he takes and how dry the air is. He lost all of it within a week when we went to a more humid climate (and swam in sea water?) for a holiday.

illcendiary
Dec 4, 2005

Damn, this is good coffee.

SixFigureSandwich posted:

22mo old learned a new word.

Her: pita! (pizza)
Me: we don't have any pizza
Her: buy!

Well fuckin buy the pizza then god damnit :mad:

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

🎧Listen to Cylindricule!🎵
https://linktr.ee/Cylindricule

Why do we have to do everything under a blanket? This game was fine without a blanket over our heads. Can we just skip the blanket part? Why are you so mad oh my God

Depressed Princess
Oct 23, 2023

abigserve posted:

Eczma chat; my son has had it all his life and it coincides with the amount of baths/showers he takes and how dry the air is. He lost all of it within a week when we went to a more humid climate (and swam in sea water?) for a holiday.

The same thing happens with psoriasis. People in my family have both, we all go to Pakistan for holidays (PK is so underrated FYI) EVERYTHING and I mean every skin issue totally clears up its weird af.

Try this it's good poo poo if you can get hold of it, totally soothes toddler skin as well.

https://www.delhiciousbody.com/

CherryCola
Apr 15, 2002

'ahtaj alshifa
Boyfriends son woke us up at 3:30 am the other day to tell his dad repeatedly that he loves him. Loudly in his ear.

So sweet kiddo, but can this possible wait?

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

2.5yo is now saying "No I'm very busy!" whenever its time to do things like bathe, go potty, sleep, etc.

Endings
Jan 17, 2012

Close your eyes...
My 10mo daughter gets a bath every night… (only soap every other night, though.)

Because she flipping loves them in the big tub and tires herself right out splashing around. We’ve not had an issue putting her down at bedtime since it became part of the bedtime routine.

Endings fucked around with this message at 13:27 on Oct 24, 2023

harperdc
Jul 24, 2007

I live in Japan, shower or bath at night is practically required by the constitution here :shrug:

but now it's become a routine, which means even if Ms. 1.5 isn't super tired after a bath, she still has learned It's Time to Wind Down.

Koivunen
Oct 7, 2011

there's definitely no logic
to human behaviour
When my kids were babies, bath was part of nightly bed time routine, usually just warm water to splash around in for a bit, but as soon as they were old enough to start the blood curdling screaming for rinse off, that part of bed time routine got replaced with Bluey and/or Thomas.

The 2.5 year old is saying so many new words, it’s really encouraging! Still learning articulation, though. “Spidey” and “potty” sounds exactly the same but mean very different things.

Mind_Taker
May 7, 2007

Yeah 2-3 baths a week rather than daily is really just a matter of reducing everyone's stress level. Unless they are really dirty I think everyone is happier just waiting a day or two to bathe. Definitely depends on the kiddo (and the parents).

Alterian
Jan 28, 2003

I also have a well and septic system and that's just extra stress that doesn't need to be put on it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

I finished cleaning up the dishes while my wife went outside with the kids. When I finished up, I grabbed a cup of coffee and went to get on my computer...

...as soon as I hit the top of the stairs, I see it: the paper towel roll. Or what was once a roll. Now a bulky, almost pulsating mass of Paper Towel.

God drat it when did this even happen, it feels like both kids have been screaming directly an inch from my face for hours now

SpaceViking
Sep 2, 2011

Who put the stars in the sky? Coyote will say he did it himself, and it is not a lie.
Daughter has started planting her face directly into the water and scaring the piss out of her mom so we're doing fewer and more closely monitored baths these days.

King Hong Kong
Nov 6, 2009

For we'll fight with a vim
that is dead sure to win.

“How was your day?”
“[Kid in daycare] threw up! It was yucky! She had to go to the bathroom and go home!”

Looking forward to the next few days…

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Every single kid at our daycare has a runny nose this week

Most of the parents and staff too

Mistaken Frisbee
Jul 19, 2007

Endings posted:

My 10mo daughter gets a bath every night… (only soap every other night, though.)

Because she flipping loves them in the big tub and tires herself right out splashing around. We’ve not had an issue putting her down at bedtime since it became part of the bedtime routine.

With my near-13mo son, we've been doing baths nightly since his umbilical cord fell off...so a little over a week old. We tried to only soap every other night or less, but we just couldn't keep track of the nights so it's every night now. He's so messy when he eats that it's probably for the best. At this point, I'd be afraid to drop any part of his bedtime routine. He enjoys the water, did well in baby swim class.

That said, I'm not really sure how we'll get him off the bottle. He hasn't taken to a sippy cup, even with milk in it (he transitioned from formula to milk easily). Baba (and the milk baby sign) is his favorite word, he demands them. He actually quit breastfeeding and pacifier use on his own without any prompting, but he self-soothes with a bottle, even an empty one. The pediatrician at the 12 month visit said he was more focused on getting our son onto milk than dropping bottles at this age, but I know we have to at least work on it over the next few months. We're also supposed to drop the bedtime bottle after teeth-brushing. We've tried watering down the milk bottles, but I suspect he'll revolt once it's completely water.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

We were still doing whole milk in bottles at 18 months

I don't think we switched to sippy cup/straws until almost 2

Bottles are a lot easier to clean than the cups with straws and all manner of anti spill sippy cups. You're not missing anything, it's easier this way trust me

Chernobyl Princess
Jul 31, 2009

It has long been an axiom of mine that the little things are infinitely the most important.

:siren:thunderdome winner:siren:

Our kids' dentist told us they want them off bottles by 2, I smiled and nodded because the dentist isn't coming into my house to put my daughter to sleep. We'll try it out once she turns two, but before then it's a fight I'm not willing to have.

GoutPatrol
Oct 17, 2009

*Stupid Babby*

My kid has his one straw cup he will use, and get two bottles a stay still at 2 1/4. Anything else he will throw away. He wanted to try my green tea from a straw a week ago, and he didn't like that, so who knows when he'll ever try a regular straw again

The Aardvark
Aug 19, 2013

I forgot exactly when the boy switched off bottles completely but it was around two. We offered him a bottle and an Ezpz cup with the lid and straw on and let him pick, and he eventuslly dropped bottles.

He's 2.5 now and drinks from smallish cups and a camelbak water bottle his old daycare gave him as a gift.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

Yeah we have a blue straw cup and an otherwise identical green straw cup and it's totally random which one she wants but if we lost the one she wants, heaven help us, it's gonna be a long rear end night

Our kid also weaned herself off the bottle on her own. in daycare they see the other kids drinking from straw cups, and I think want to be like their peers. when we finally got rid of the pacifier, there was no struggle either she was just :hai: that's for little kiddos and only asked about it like twice. She was the only kid in her class with one at that point

MistressMeeps
Dec 27, 2017
The only luck we've had for weaning bottles was with the munchkin 360 cups. Our daughter snubbed probably a half dozen different trainer cups (straw and sippy varieties) until we got that one around 14 months. She's almost 2 now and will drink from just about anything...

His Divine Shadow
Aug 7, 2000

I'm not a fascist. I'm a priest. Fascists dress up in black and tell people what to do.
Our kids used to get 2 baths a week at most when they were babies. We were honestly worried about being too clean and having our kids develop allergies, rather than the opposite.

Nowadays they shower twice a week or so. Which is good because they take like 30 minute or longer showers and waste a lot of water, if they took showers more often I'd put an alarm clock outside the shower.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

My son is about 2.5 and still uses a milk bottle solely for weekend naps. I’m stuck as to how to transition off of then because he needs something to keep him from talking so he can calm down and to get to sleep.

nachos
Jun 27, 2004

Wario Chalmers! WAAAAAAAAAAAAA!

BadSamaritan posted:

My son is about 2.5 and still uses a milk bottle solely for weekend naps. I’m stuck as to how to transition off of then because he needs something to keep him from talking so he can calm down and to get to sleep.

This might just resolve itself on its own when he naturally drops that nap

meanolmrcloud
Apr 5, 2004

rock out with your stock out

How do parents with girls not wash their hair nearly every day? Almost three year old has made incredible strides in utensil usage, but even with that, she’ll have soupy or sticky or ketchup hands and even if her hair is up, she still has a need to brush phantom hair out of her face, or heck just pat her head. Sometimes after daycare, you can catch a faint whiff of ranch coming off her head. We take baths probably every other day.

calandryll
Apr 25, 2003

Ask me where I do my best drinking!

Pillbug
Our 5 year old daughter will occasionally not pay attention and dip her hair in her food. We bathe her about every other day. Our biggest hurdle is getting her hair brushed because man she acts like we're ripping her hair out. We bought some tangle free brush that works really well. She will say ouch when we haven't touched her hair, nice try there kiddo.

ExcessBLarg!
Sep 1, 2001
Baths: Nightly, usually. Our 4 year old gets pretty sweaty and needs it. I also have to use conditioner every bath otherwise he has brillow pad hair. My 2 year old can usually go every-other day, but they bathe together and it's routine and fun so why not. Infant bathes every 2-3 days depending on how gross her neck is.

Bottles: Weaned both our older kids between 18-24 months--probably closer to 18. It was a pretty easy transition to sippy cups and/or camelbaks, especially if you let them choose one with a fun design. Getting "off" milk though was hard and my 2 year old was still tanking a full cup of milk at bedtime until probably about two months ago when she had a vomiting episode and I've since used that as an excuse for why she can't have milk at night. But she still demands cheese sticks, slices, etc. so we're not off dairy yet.

Sweet Gulch
May 8, 2007

That metaphor just went somewhere horrible.
We eased our son off bedtime milk by first giving him a leakproof sippy cup for the milk, then we gradually watered it down. I forget how long it took but eventually we got to plain water! Both kids still have a water bottle at their beds.

BadSamaritan
May 2, 2008

crumb by crumb in this big black forest

I think I could pretty easily replace the milk with water in my toddler’s bottle- it’s just that he won’t stop talking without it.

Hadlock
Nov 9, 2004

meanolmrcloud posted:

How do parents with girls not wash their hair nearly every day? Almost three year old has made incredible strides in utensil usage, but even with that, she’ll have soupy or sticky or ketchup hands and even if her hair is up, she still has a need to brush phantom hair out of her face, or heck just pat her head. Sometimes after daycare, you can catch a faint whiff of ranch coming off her head. We take baths probably every other day.

We have like six of these 100 packs of clips, I guess technically they're barrettes, like Tina from Bob's Burgers wears. Usually two on each side. She likes the ones shaped like animals

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B07S2RJBX3

Our kiddo doesn't do sauce of any kind, she refuses to eat pasta with "hot sauce". Doesn't matter what the actual sauce is. Always calls it hot sauce. So it's never much of an issue. Her utensil usage is ok but my wife keeps trimming her hair to above the shoulder, and with the clips it's away from her face. Also we just avoid messy foods like soup with her

If we lost the barrets or grandma is watching her, or whatever, sometimes she gets short pigtails of some sort. This will usually last 2-3 days and just need to brush out each side every morning

Eeyo
Aug 29, 2004

MistressMeeps posted:

The only luck we've had for weaning bottles was with the munchkin 360 cups. Our daughter snubbed probably a half dozen different trainer cups (straw and sippy varieties) until we got that one around 14 months. She's almost 2 now and will drink from just about anything...

Our local grocery store carried these so I picked them up. Our 9 month old seems like he can actually drink out of it which I'm kind of amazed by. He can't do continuous feedings, he gets a big gulp and has to pull away to swallow, but that will probably improve with practice.

As a bonus they seem easy to clean, at least easier than the Dr. Browns bottles that we use (the stem pieces add a little bit of complication). Plus no straw because I do not trust straws at this stage.

They just kinda suck on the rim of the cup and a bit of liquid comes out. It's silicone and plastic.

Edit: I'm 50/50 whether he's intentionally drinking from it, or if he's just getting some liquid because he's chewing and sucking while he's teething. But he picks things up pretty quick, I'm sure after a couple tries he'll get the hang of it.

Brawnfire
Jul 13, 2004

My son won't let my wife leave for work without:

A hug
A high-five
A "volcano" (exploding fist bump)
A "firework" (touch fingertips, whistle, explode hand)
Another hug
An attempt to repeat the whole sequence.

hallo spacedog
Apr 3, 2007

this chaos is killing me
💫🐕🔪😱😱

Today the kids are supposed to bring small pumpkins to daycare to paint as an activity. I had two and then a slightly larger one on the kitchen table that I drew silly faces on for my daughter and she loves them. I thought, oh of course she can bring one of the small ones today.

Nope, those are the table pumpkins and they must stay here. Need a whole new pumpkin apparently. This was worth having a meltdown over.

Shifty Pony
Dec 28, 2004

Up ta somethin'

Today is show and share of your "favorite" thing.

This morning everything was his favorite thing.

Benagain
Oct 10, 2007

Can you see that I am serious?
Fun Shoe
It was wear your favorite color day and her favorite color switched to brown last night without warning. We don't have any brown clothes for her. She then wanted blue but didn't like any of the options. She then settled on purple pants and a green t-shirt covered in stains after having a meltdown about how the purple shirt was too big.

Totally happy once we got to daycare at least.

Emily Spinach
Oct 21, 2010

:)
It’s 🌿Garland🌿!😯😯😯 No…🙅 I am become😤 😈CHAOS👿! MMMMH😋 GHAAA😫
It's also favorite color day at our daycare today, but the toddler will only wear bluey shirts and only has one purple bluey shirt. She wore it yesterday. I offered her either a bluey shirt or a purple shirt and she cleverly went into her dirty laundry hamper and grabbed the purple bluey shirt. She doesn't actually care about it being favorite color day but she did really care about having a shirt with both bluey and bingo on it.

I did think we were going to have a meltdown when she asked for the octopus pants she also wore yesterday but she accepted my explanation that they're dirty without too much fuss.

Adbot
ADBOT LOVES YOU

space uncle
Sep 17, 2006

"I don’t care if Biden beats Trump. I’m not offloading responsibility. If enough people feel similar to me, such as the large population of Muslim people in Dearborn, Michigan. Then he won’t"

Toddlers shoes are too small, so his mom thoughtfully got him a pair of awesome red and black Spidey shoes. She tried to get him to wear them to school this morning.

Huge mistake. Where did she get the idea he likes Spidey? He tearfully put his crocs on instead and trudged to school, still sobbing over the indignity of the new shoes.